Things you love that no one else seems to have played/seen/read

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

iwinatlife:

solemnwar:

-snip-

I've read both The seventh tower and chronicles of the Necromancer (or at least the first book) Very good series

OT: Ive met one other person who has heard of/ read The Night Angel Trilogy or Lightbringer Series by Brent weeks...therefore i recommend it often

Dammit, all my choices have been ninja'd! I love the Seventh Tower series and the Night Angel trilogy! I've only read the Black Prism however, not the second one yet.

I say the Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander... most people have heard of the 2nd book: the Black Cauldron, but I don't know anyone besides me who has read all 5 books

Gizmo1990:
Snip

I am very Interested in this now as Harry Dresden is awesome! I must check this series out now... damn you for suggesting it to me!

kyuzo3567:

Dammit, all my choices have been ninja'd! I love the Seventh Tower series and the Night Angel trilogy! I've only read the Black Prism however, not the second one yet.

I say the Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander... most people have heard of the 2nd book: the Black Cauldron, but I don't know anyone besides me who has read all 5 books

Gizmo1990:
Snip

I am very Interested in this now as Harry Dresden is awesome! I must check this series out now... damn you for suggesting it to me!

Oh You Should DEFINITELY Read the blinding knife as good as the black prism was Blinding knife is distinctly better

kyuzo3567:

iwinatlife:

solemnwar:

-snip-

I've read both The seventh tower and chronicles of the Necromancer (or at least the first book) Very good series

OT: Ive met one other person who has heard of/ read The Night Angel Trilogy or Lightbringer Series by Brent weeks...therefore i recommend it often

Gizmo1990:
Snip

On the plus side the series is finished unlike Dresden which just keeps getting better and better but bring bigger and bigger clifhangers :)

Some advice use Wikipedia to find out the names of the books. Depending on what country you are in the books were either released in sets of 2 or seperatly. I live in the uk so the first 8 were released in 4 omnibus books and the others I had to get individualy.

The book Cloud Atlas. Come to think of it, not many people seem to have seen the (inferior) movie either.

The game Oni. One of my few childhood favourites that has managed to cling on to its little corner of my heart.

The book (and series) Tomorrow When the War Began. Some of the best youth fiction I've ever red. Think Red Dawn, but set in Australia with better characters and with all the glorification and yank-wank removed.

The movie Kingdom of Heaven. So damn pretty. Also quite charming, if a bit cheesy at times.

The book Only Revolutions, i suppose. It's the history of the United States told as a poem about two lovers. And it's absolutely beautiful.

The miniature game Malifaux. If I didn't like painting the models I'd probably give up trying to find an opponent who's not a 2 hour bus trip away.

Also most horror novels, apparently a lot of my mates get squeamish and give up after a couple of short stories.

I want to make a point of reading the books of famous authors that aren't their most famous. Everyone knows Anthony Burgess for A Clockwork Orange, but they have no idea as to what the hell else he's written. From what I understand, it wasn't what he considered his best book by any stretch, and he would have preferred to have been appreciated for his other work. Same goes for a lot of writers, so I'm trying to fix that. I've read Something Happened by Joseph Heller, The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad, and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.

JemothSkarii:
An anime that I've really been getting into lately is Chaos;Heads and Stein's;Gate (The latter I've only seen 14 episodes of thus far). I love how they deal with topics like isolation and such and they're so atmospheric. Plus, y'know, this scene is just glorious.

My school's anime club is watching Steins;Gate this semester :D

Mine is the Truth series, by Dawn Cook (First Truth, Hidden Truth, Forgotten Truth, Lost Truth). I picked up First Truth at WalMart once on a whim and got hooked. WalMart usually only carries books in pretty high demand (or at least books in high-demand genres), so I'm surprised I haven't come across a single other person who's ever heard of it.

Rock Zombie by J.S. Connor. I honestly doubt that more than 200 people have read this amazingly hilarious book.

I even did a reading of the first chapter in which an aspiring Classic Rock Star does battle with a chicken wielding maniac, Drumstick vs Drum Stick, while trying to obtain a biscuit. The author loved it. And that doesn't even get anywhere near mind-controlling the undead with a guitar, weaponized moose, and a giant soviet mech.

I know there are other people who like it, but they are few and far between. God Hand is an amazing game that to this day I fail understand why so little people know about it or have played it. GO PLAY IT!

Tons of things.

Books: So many of my friends aren't really readers so it'd probably be quicker to list what they had read. Some major examples that only I've read would be American Psycho, Ender's Game, Dune

Films: Three Idiots, Bugsy Malone

TV: The Newsroom, Arrow

Games: Project Sylpheed, Zone of the Enders2: The Second Runner

I know it has quite the following, but I have yet to meet someone in person who knows about Persona 4. Even the ones that are into their JRPGs and animes and whatnot have no idea what it is.

Also Hogs of War. You'd think a game about pigs fighting out World War 2 would stand out more than it does.

Amethyst Wind:
Tons of things.

Books: So many of my friends aren't really readers so it'd probably be quicker to list what they had read. Some major examples that only I've read would be American Psycho, Ender's Game, Dune

Films: Three Idiots, Bugsy Malone

TV: The Newsroom, Arrow

Games: Project Sylpheed, Zone of the Enders2: The Second Runner

oh its been so long since ive played ZoE2 but that game was amazing and i just started rereading dune

Among anime fans you hardly hear anybody talk about the short anime compilations like Neo Tokyo Labyrinth, Robot Carnaval, and Memories. Which is a shame, cause it's some of the greatest animation you'll ever see.

As far as books: i love the dragon riders of pern series, the book of the new sun and my favorite book of all time women of wonder. none of my friends have read them even after a strong recommendation. from me

None of my friends are into reading or anime. Which I guess explains why so many conversations get brought round to gaming, and that gets boring pretty quickly considering they only tend to buy the current Triple A title.

The Walter Moers books - 'The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear', 'Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures', 'The City of Dreaming Books', 'The Alchemaster's Apprentice', and, finally, 'The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books' - the latter of which I haven't read yet, as I only bought it yesterday, which is very exciting.

They're cracking, go read them.

Morecambe and Wise

It was incredibly popular once so I imagine I must just be unlucky to have never encountered someone else who has seen it.

PsychicTaco115:
I haven't seen a lot of love for I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Shorter and scarier than anything Stephen King has written as of late

OMG--I read that story when I was like, eleven or so.....
I try not to think about it too much because it *does* scare the crap outta me....
Ellison is one heckuva writer all right.

kyuzo3567:

iwinatlife:
[quote="solemnwar" post="18.401030.16509126"]

[quote="Gizmo1990" post="18.401030.16504027"]Snip

I own/have read all of the Chronicles of Prydain (read them before most of you whippersnappers were born),
I used to have Mr. Alexander's Westmark trilogy as well, but I don't know what happened to those...
either in a box somewhere or lost in a move at some point I suppose.
The Prydain series suffered a bit due to the timing of it's initial release--it came out around the same
time that a lot of Tolkien knock-offs were being released and many people just assumed it was one of those
as well.
While I loved the Prydain series (man those three witches....) I actually found the Westmark series to be
more original, in-depth and better written.

Chine Meiville. Literally nobody seems to read him.

Only thing I can think of are horrorcore bands Get Scared and Snow White's Poison Bite.

NO ONE I've met enjoys the Young Wizards series as much as I do. Take magic, have it function more like science, and make wizards more like IT programmers than anything else, and you get this series. Highly, highly recommended.

Anyone ever read The Opoponax Invasion by John Brosnan? It's an incredibly witty and thoroughly enjoyable science fiction story; I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'd compare it to the likes of Douglas Adams, not something I do often.

The Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding is another of my favourites. Steampunk pirates in airships!

Anyone ever talk about Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Damn that film was stylish. Also, Jude Law and Giovanni Ribisi!

PsychicTaco115:

I read it a while ago. Very, very good. I don't read a lot of sf, but that one was awesome.

There's lots of manga that I love but other manga fans haven't heard of. I read a lot of Tezuka manga, but since Western publishers would rather publish, for instance, some obscure yaoi that nobody's heard of or asked for than classics like Kimba the White Lion, I never meet other people who've read his stuff. (No disrespect to yaoi, I've even got a yaoi collection myself. It's just an example.)

Zhukov:

The game Oni. One of my few childhood favourites that has managed to cling on to its little corner of my heart.

I love this game.

Smolderin:
The Ys Series, developed by Falcom I believe....published by XSEED. The most underrated RPG series I have ever seen in my life, and yet it is just soooo good. If you have played Ys Seven for the PSP, most people would understand. Ys Seven was what got me into the entire series. Until that time, I had no idea the Ys series even existed.

I haven't heard that come up in a long time. I've played one of the y's titles years ago and thought it was pretty fun. I didn't know the psp had a release though. I'll have to check that out now.

I know a lot of you guys have seen it but NONE of my friends saw or even heard of Moon until I let them borrow it.
Almost none of them have played any of the Metroid games either which is my favorite franchise of all time.

JemothSkarii:

An anime that I've really been getting into lately is Chaos;Heads and Stein's;Gate (The latter I've only seen 14 episodes of thus far). I love how they deal with topics like isolation and such and they're so atmospheric. Plus, y'know, this scene is just glorious.

Steins;Gate is probably my favourite anime. I absolutely adore it.

Chaos;Head, though, is awful. It had so much potential as psychological horror, and the first episode or so seemed to be setting up for such, but the minute they introduced Di-Swords it flew right out the window. What was left was just... dumb.

OT: Well, no one seems to have played El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. I don't love it per se, but I still think it's pretty brilliant. In addition, no one I know in person has ever heard of pretty much any JRPG I play, such as Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

The Journeyman Project series. The amount of people I've met in reality who have played any of it (well, minus a year in school when I had a teacher bring in Buried in Time) can fit on one hand. Legacy of Time is still one of my absolute favorite games ever, despite the fact that it's hilariously easy (according to online reviews. It's easy for me because I've played it to the point where it's burned into my brain) and outdated. Legacy of Time and Buried in Time are both up on GoG now, so I suppose there's potential for my friends to play them, but I think I'm alone in my love for that series...

SuperSuperSuperGuy:

JemothSkarii:

Steins;Gate is probably my favourite anime. I absolutely adore it.

Chaos;Head, though, is awful. It had so much potential as psychological horror, and the first episode or so seemed to be setting up for such, but the minute they introduced Di-Swords it flew right out the window. What was left was just... dumb.

OT: Well, no one seems to have played El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. I don't love it per se, but I still think it's pretty brilliant. In addition, no one I know in person has ever heard of pretty much any JRPG I play, such as Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

I agree and disagree; The Di-Swords WERE stupid, but I did like the idea of being able to effectively manipulate other people's realities, could have led to some interesting plot points. Also, Soul Nomad and the World Eaters is easily one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Gig just adds so much to it, and having the Demon Path was awesome.

PsychicTaco115:

Actually I adore that story as well. YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE SIR :D

For me it's the Sandman Slim series of Novels and the Dresden Files. I'm a fangirl for supernatural stories with attractive main characters.

APLovecraft:
i rave constantly about the dark tower series by stephen king but no one else i know has even heard about it, never mind getting excited abouth the (apparently-happening) film/telly adaptation

I do not kill with my gun. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.

Fucking Dark Tower, man.

PsychicTaco115:

I love that story, to the extent one can love something so depressing.

Has anyone here played the point and click adventure version of this story? I really liked it, though I could never make the sound work.

Sigma Castell:
Chine Meiville. Literally nobody seems to read him.

I read one book of his, King Rat, and I really enjoyed it.

It was weird as hell though, but it's making me look into more of his stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked