RWBY "White" Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So Rooster Teeth has released a new trailer for "RWBY". It mostly consists of a girl dressed in white (who I'll thus refer to as "White" for simplicity's sake) fighting a 15-foot(I'm assuming) suit of armour. The fight scene is book ended by White singing on a stage for a stadium (again, my assumption) of people.

Link: http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=6934

Opinion time:
I have to say, I like this new trailer much better than the "Red" trailer a few months back. I wasn't a big fan of the first trailer, though it still managed to spark my interest. It was entertaining at first, but I felt it was pretty repetitive by the end, which is strange given the uniqueness of the means for dispatching enemies. I guess I felt that "Red" wasn't being challenged by the hordes of enemies she was taking out left and right, taking a lot of the weight away from the action.

Another thing I didn't personally like was that there didn't seem to be anything immediately at stake. Red seemed to just stumble upon some spirits of the damned when walking through the forest and proceeded to cut through them like warm butter.

White, on the other hand, did some things differently. I still didn't have any context for the fight, but in hindsight that may be too much to ask from a trailer so I won't dock points from either of them for that. What I did like was that, while Red seemed to be just going through the motions, White's encounter was more of a struggle. Yes, she still thoroughly kicked the thing's ass so hard it was coughing up its codpiece, but she fought tooth and nail for it. At one point about halfway through, and once or twice before then, she was knocked onto her back and attacked right after. One time when this happened, she actually got a fairly deep (seeming) cut near her eye. These moments were a lot more interesting to me than Little Red Unstoppable-Badass Riding Hood (I think Monty Oum said that the Red Riding Hood thing was just coincidence. I can't remember).

I haven't talked much about the beginning performance bit, so I'll just leave it at "I liked how they gave context the background music and showed a some of the character all in one go."

/rant

So what do my fellow Escapists think? Good? Bad? Nail-biting? Dull? Pretty? I'm a complete idiot for thinking these things? Stop asking questions? No really, stop it now? This shtick's been going on too long?

I also liked this trailer better since it seemed to be based around defeating one strong enemy instead of wolf cannon folder.

However it didn't clear up the one thing I was concerned about. Mount Oum (I'm pretty sure this is mostly his project) is known for his ability to animate some of the best fight scenes, I don't think anyone doubts that. However I don't know how well other aspects will hold up like..... plot...

Maybe the next trailer will clear that up. In the meantime I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

I thought the first trailer was fun in that DMC sort of way, but I agree that I do like this one better. It's very pretty, well-done, and did give us more of an impression on the featured character, while still having some over-the-top fighting. I'm certainly intrigued by this, although I still don't have a clue as to where they're going with this series, whether it's gonna be entirely action based or if there's gonna be a story to tell.

[Kira Must Die]:
I thought the first trailer was fun in that DMC sort of way

That's actually what I was going to mention-

A major complaint with the first video seemed to be 'Red's too strong, there's no drama' or whatever. But people didn't like watching Dante fight because they thought he might lose. They watched because they wanted to see how hard he'd kicked X's ass and how stylish he'd be while doing it.

Of the two trailers, I prefer Red. However, for the 'shit got serious' parts (Where Red loads the special ammunition, or when White starts to use her Estoc's revolver...thing)...about equal, although White might be slightly better.

Well I like the soundtrack and the animation is pretty good...
I'm pretty sure that's like the only thing I get from these trailers.

I too liked this one better than the one for Red. She just seems like a more interesting character to me...Probably because I'm not a big fan of guns. Even guns that turn into crazy-unrealistic scythe things.

I liked it. The idea of performing a concert and fighting a battle is brilliant.

I love both of them so far. I can't wait to see if there's even more cool, complex weapons to come! :D

I think I liked Red's music more, but I do agree that White's battle was better, purely 'cause the battle seemed like more of a challenge for her.

I didn't like how it showed White singing, it just seemed awkward like she was just moving her mouth and the music was coming from offstage. That being said I don't like watching people sing in real life and no one has ever don a good job of making characters sing. (Looking at you Leliana!)

I enjoyed fighting sequence though and I think that the reason White had so much trouble with this monster was because it was a higher "level" than the wolves Red fought.

I loved this trailer, but I love both trailers and cannot wait until it premieres or the other trailers are released... which I hope for.

- In terms of action.
I liked this one since it showed a tougher enemy and it showed how the characters are actually human and can be hurt. (By the blood.)

- For music.
Both were awesome. I have the first trailer's music on my Ipod. XD
Might get this one too.

- Characters.
I do like White, she seems really interesting.
But... I do prefer Red because... well I think she is cute since seems more of a mute character. >.<

In conclusion... I'm going to love this series.
I would like to see how it handles out of the action scenes though.

what is this?
and why does she look like me?

while i very much enjoyed "white" I preferred "red" because of the music and multiple enemies

although mostly cause the scythe-rifle is second only to the gun that shoots shurikins and lightning

I think I'm going to like this show a lot - looks very much like it's gonna be one of those dumb fun Shounen-style animés, which are usually enjoyable for me. Can't wait.

Heh, I was going to make a thread on this like I did with the first RWBY trailer but that would of made me a one trick pony.

Anyway the new trailer is pretty cool. White weapon isn't as ridiculous compared to Red which is good (sure Red scythe is awesome but it was way too OP). There's one thing that confuse me is White ability. I mean she use an element theme rapier but it seen she had ice powers on her own.

I have notice they did that special shot of the character face before finishing off the foe so I can assume that Black and Yellow will also have that special shot to the face aswell.

Didn't like it. Another magic girl in mini skirt and oversized weapon darts around like a quake player while shitty Jpop music plays. Not interested.

While Red was fun with the action scenes, I agree. White is better so many aspects. The parallels between her concert and her battle was pretty interesting. It looked like she was more on an even level with her enemy, and she got knocked around a lot. I like White's character design much more. The animation was smoother, and the overall presentation was more cinematic than Red's.

And then there's the sword fighting. I remembered watching the director's commentary for the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie (for those who don't know, it's an anime that features heavy traditional sword fighting) and he said that the animators had a very difficult time doing all the fight scenes because of how precise you have to be with a sword. And that's with 2D hand drawn animation. 3D animation is challenging in its own right, especially since you have to make the movements as realistic as possible, so I can only imagine how challenging it must have been to animate White's fight. It looked phenomenal!

I can't wait to see what's in store for Black and Yellow.

I'm quite fond of this kind of animation. It's fun in a Devil May Cry, stylish way.

I must say, I like this new character's design quite a lot. Not only does she have a beautiful icy colour scheme, but the juxtaposition of red on white from the lining of her jacket is beautiful. It was present in the Red trailer, as well, but it's much more striking this time.

I also love the music for both trailers. They capture the mood of the scenes quite well.

I'm really excited for the series. It looks great so far!

Soviet Heavy:
Didn't like it. Another magic girl in mini skirt and oversized weapon darts around like a quake player while shitty Jpop music plays. Not interested.

The weapon she has is a pretty standard length rapier. I would call a rapier an "Oversized weapon." about as much as I would call a potato gun and anti-tank cannon.

Desert Punk:

Soviet Heavy:

The weapon she has is a pretty standard length rapier. I would call a rapier an "Oversized weapon." about as much as I would call a potato gun and anti-tank cannon.

Argue semantics all you want, but I still didn't like it and I have no interest in this series at all.

Soviet Heavy:

Desert Punk:

Soviet Heavy:

Argue semantics all you want, but I still didn't like it and I have no interest in this series at all.

You know, you wouldn't run into stuff like that if you weren't so quick to slap hyperbole all over something. Just say "not interested, not my thing." People get kinda frustrated when you go out of your way to describe why something sucks in a manner like that.

I mean, what is someone more likely to take as insulting?

Didn't like it, another magic girl in a mini skirt and oversized weapon darts around like a quake player while shitty Jpop music plays. Not interested

or

Didn't like it. It was a little too over the top for my taste Not interested.

The first one doesn't flat out say it, but the wording kinda implies "who in their right mind would like this?" Some people will take issue with that. Just pointing it out.

Gunner_Guardian:
However it didn't clear up the one thing I was concerned about. Mount Oum (I'm pretty sure this is mostly his project) is known for his ability to animate some of the best fight scenes, I don't think anyone doubts that. However I don't know how well other aspects will hold up like..... plot...

They addressed this on the podcast after the Red trailer was released. They said that the trailer made people think the whole series is going to consist of over the top action sequences, but in reality it's going to focus on the characters and telling the story Monty wants to tell.

It's definitely Monty's project, but most of the writing is being handled by Miles Luna, Chris DeMarais, and Kerry Shawcross. Apparently that's all they've been working on since Monty had the idea months ago.

Thought it was awesome good fight scene and good music, I just really hope the story matches up

Soviet Heavy:

1.) A Rapier is not an over-sized weapon.
2.) It isn't J-Pop

Hate all you want, but at least watch the trailer before you complain.

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

Desert Punk:

You know, you wouldn't run into stuff like that if you weren't so quick to slap hyperbole all over something. Just say "not interested, not my thing." People get kinda frustrated when you go out of your way to describe why something sucks in a manner like that.

Didn't like it, another magic girl in a mini skirt and oversized weapon darts around like a quake player while shitty Jpop music plays. Not interested

or

The first one doesn't flat out say it, but the wording kinda implies "who in their right mind would like this?" Some people will take issue with that. Just pointing it out.

You know what else? Drop it before I get angry. I am not in the mood for snark right now.

Well, alright then.

It was kind of cool in an unashamedly anime-tastic kind of way... I guess.

Although the big armoured dude looked like his textures had failed to render.

Watched the 'Red' one too.

Still have no idea what I'm watching. Is it a game or are Rooster Teeth branching out into anime now?

Capitano Segnaposto:

Soviet Heavy:

2.) It isn't J-Pop

Hey, guess what? I did watch the fucking trailer, and I've already told the last two people who bitched about my comment to knock it off. i'll say the same to you, k? Fucking drop it.

Same for anyone else who takes such offense to my statement. Think for a second before you decide: "You know what? This guy is so totally off base that I need to tell him exactly why I feel that way!"

I fucking get it.

Soviet Heavy:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Soviet Heavy:

2.) It isn't J-Pop

Hey, guess what? I did watch the fucking trailer, and I've already told the last two people who bitched about my comment to knock it off. i'll say the same to you, k? Fucking drop it.

No need to get angry, kid. Your words I had quoted seemed to show that you didn't watch the trailer as a Rapier isn't an over-sized weapon and J-Pop has a very distinctive style to it and in this trailer you can easily tell it wasn't J-Pop.

Anyone could have made the same mistake and believe you didn't watch the trailer.

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

or

You know what else? Drop it before I get angry. I am not in the mood for snark right now.

What the...I'm not being snarky, I'm serious. Come on, you're a 40k fan, you've got to know what it's like to have someone go "how could anyone find something like this entertaining." It isn't pleasant and I think you would know that, I'm asking you not to do the same to others. Jeez man, calm down.

Zhukov:
Well, alright then.

It was kind of cool in an unashamedly anime-tastic kind of way... I guess.

Although the big armoured dude looked like his textures had failed to render.

Watched the 'Red' one too.

Still have no idea what I'm watching. Is it a game or are Rooster Teeth branching out into anime now?

It's a web show that Monty is working on. A side project if you will. Also speaking of Roosterteeth and anime....HA! Google Red Vs Blue anime. Shame nothing ever came of it.

Capitano Segnaposto:
[quote="Soviet Heavy" post="18.401064.16509862"]SNip

Alright fine then. How about this? Annoying singing generic miniskirt sword wielding wilting flower anime cliche #44955 sings shitty ass music while defeating generic giant monster #5496 in a death battle concert that lacks any tension suspense or a hook to make me interested in the slightest?

There, nothing innacurate about what I said until you place your own biases.

Soviet Heavy:

Capitano Segnaposto:
[quote="Soviet Heavy" post="18.401064.16509862"]SNip

Alright fine then. How about this? Annoying singing generic miniskirt sword wielding wilting flower anime cliche #44955 sings shitty ass music while defeating generic giant monster #5496 in a death battle concert that lacks any tension suspense or a hook to make me interested in the slightest?

There, nothing innacurate about what I said until you place your own biases.

Of course nothing is inaccurate now as you got rid of the actual inaccuracies and just put your opinion. I was just clearing up the misconceptions from earlier about the J-Pop/Over-Sized Weapon fiasco.

Is it speculation time already?

Well I still like the Red trailer better because choreography is always more intricate when fighting more enemies, and more intricate when fighting closer to your size.

I still liked the White trailer but in a one on one fight I wonder why she didn't use her magical glyph stasis kaboom spell right off the bat...

Anyway Red (Rubi) strikes me more as a bounty hunter where White (Name still unknown) comes off as a gladiator. Like a pop star that kills things. Seeing as she was singing, and then makes the fight look really even until she kicks it's ass. and the curtsy at the end sort of gave it away too.

This is all just speculation but I'm guessing that White is going to be a little conceited and primadonna-esque and Rubi is going to be more serious or one track minded.
And I just pulled that all out of my ass, so... I Can't wait for the Black trailer.

I liked it. Actually,I prefer the White trailer over the Red trailer. The character seems to be more than a badass with a hilariously large,if glorious weapon,and more of a person than Ruby. She isn't infallible. She gets hit a couple of times,and her opponent draws blood. And the music isn't overpowered by the sounds of combat,which seems to hammer home the point that,yes,this character is a performer first and a fighter second.

Monty built a world. Upon this world,he built cultures. From these cultures sprang these characters. I seriously can't wait for this.

I've enjoyed both trailers so far, mostly because they do something different each time. With Ruby's trailer, we see her using a very unique weapon to cut down two waves of cannon fodder enemies with ease. With Weiss, we have a very different weapon with a very different fighting style, taking on what would appear to be a much stronger, likely miniboss level monster.

Each trailer has shown us parts their characters' history and abilities. Ruby began looking at a type of memorial or grave marker that had a rose on it. "Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest:" This tells me that Ruby is probably on a quest to avenge a lost loved one. Likely her grandmother if the Red Riding Hood resemblance is intentional, despite Monty Oum's denials. Also, Ruby's sole ability seems to be her skill with the Crescent Rose, as she didn't use any magic in her fight (although it's quite possible she just didn't need it)

Meanwhile, Weiss is also giving a concert at the same time as her battle. This either means that the battle was a spiritual one that the audience couldn't see, or she was flash-backing to the battle during her performance. The lyrics from the two songs: "White is cold and always yearning, burdened by a royal test", and "I can't keep it from the world, why won't you let me hide from me?" hint that Weiss has a royal connection, along with something she is trying to hide from the world and herself. This enforced by her being "the loneliest of all." My theory is that she is a princess trying to hide from something (evil queen?) and thus is cold toward others and lonely because of it. These points all seem to allude to her being similar to Snow White, adding to the classic fairy tail connections (could the suit of armour have been the huntsman?) Her main ability seems to be the magic that she can use in combination with her rapier to boost her attacks, speed, and to create launch points to strike from. Also, her magic circles and several attacks involve a snow and ice like appearance.

In response to any worries about story or if the show will be too action heavy, Monty and his coworkers have said several time on the RT Podcast that there will be plenty of plot and the trailers are more for the animators and characters to show off what they can do, rather then give the audience the idea that it's going to be non-stop fighting like other shows.

My preference? Well, I can't make up my mind. I normally think giant oversized weapons are stupid, but the Crescent Rose's recoil-swing mechanic is so cool it blows that complaint out of the water. Meanwhile, the rapier is one of my favorite weapons of ever, of all time (I take fencing classes). I really like the magic mechanics in this one too. Not to mention that any kind of double edged sword in anime is a bit rare due to the Japanese preference for katanas (which I hate), so this get my interest in a big way. Having a main character with a skill based weapon that favors speed and precision over HAVING THE BIGGEST BLADE EVER LOOKING AT YOU ICHIGO! is awesome.

The music in both is awesome, but I think I like Red like Roses better just because I could understand the lyrics without having to look them up. Mirror Mirror does change it up by having the song continue through the fight scene to the end.

I might change my mind after the show starts and I learn more about their personalities, but Weiss might just become my favorite character in this show, just by using a relatively normal sword and ice magic, which is also one of my favorite elemental abilities.

TLDR? Just read it you lazy people.

Desert Punk:

Soviet Heavy:

You beat me to it! That guy really need to lighten up judging by his later comments.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here