RWBY "White" Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Soviet Heavy:

Capitano Segnaposto:
[quote="Soviet Heavy" post="18.401064.16509862"]SNip

Alright fine then. How about this? Annoying singing generic miniskirt sword wielding wilting flower anime cliche #44955 sings shitty ass music while defeating generic giant monster #5496 in a death battle concert that lacks any tension suspense or a hook to make me interested in the slightest?

There, nothing innacurate about what I said until you place your own biases.

calm your tits!

jesus, man, no need to get angry! I don't believe in what you said, sorry.

-puts up flame shield-

There.

Soviet Heavy:

Capitano Segnaposto:
[quote="Soviet Heavy" post="18.401064.16509862"]SNip

Alright fine then. How about this? Annoying singing generic miniskirt sword wielding wilting flower anime cliche #44955 sings shitty ass music while defeating generic giant monster #5496 in a death battle concert that lacks any tension suspense or a hook to make me interested in the slightest?

Dude you seriously need to calm down.

I don't see what the fuss is about. These trailers show nothing except that the fighting animations are average. It's like a 90's action movie releasing a trailer with mediocre special effects.

generals3:
I don't see what the fuss is about. These trailers show nothing except that the fighting animations are average. It's like a 90's action movie releasing a trailer with mediocre special effects.

Well, that's what floats some people's boats. I think it looks awesome.

Not really my thing, but it seems kinda disconnected from Snow White

I mean the red riding hood had the wolves and the red hood, pretty obvious. But I'm not really seeing much Snow White symbolism here, only the mirror song really which seems a minor part at best (and not really Snow White's thing anyway, rather that of the evil queen).

But you know... Snow White's whole thing kinda is the "Skin white as snow, lips red as blood and hair black as ebony" as well as the apple. So yeah...

All I can conclude is that whomever this girl is it's not Snow White.

MoreThanANoob:
So Rooster Teeth has released a new trailer for "RWBY". It mostly consists of a girl dressed in white (who I'll thus refer to as "White" for simplicity's sake) fighting a 15-foot(I'm assuming) suit of armour. The fight scene is book ended by White singing on a stage for a stadium (again, my assumption) of people.

Actually, I read somewhere that her name is Weiss, which is German for white... Original, no?

Anyways, I liked the White trailer much more than the Red. Unlike Ruby, Weiss didnt seem to be "just going through the motions". She is actually fighting the suit of armor. Unlike Ruby also, she seems to be faster but less powerful. It isnt until she breaks out the magic that the Armor gets owned.

Seeing as she is a singer (a performer in some capacity), she probably is liken to batman (public persona that hides her true face), or maybe she isnt really a fighter to begin with. This may be why she didnt break out the magic at the start, she's still new at it. In fact, I think the batman comparison may be on the money, as the fight is interlace with the singing, it is showing that she has a double life.

In all, I enjoyed it.

*Edit*

Hagi:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ruby is the only one that will be based off of a character from fairy tales.

Pretty sweet trailer. I'm quite pleased that this is looking as nice as it is because as soon as I saw that it was Monty Oums' project I immediately went "What the hell happened to Dead Fantasy? You can't tease Vincent and not do anything!"

Anyway, I also stand by my original thought after watching the first trailer that this could be made into one brilliant spectacle fighter / hack and slasher.

Dygen Entreri:

Desert Punk:

Soviet Heavy:
Didn't like it. Another magic girl in mini skirt and oversized weapon darts around like a quake player while shitty Jpop music plays. Not interested.

The weapon she has is a pretty standard length rapier. I would call a rapier an "Oversized weapon." about as much as I would call a potato gun and anti-tank cannon.

You beat me to it! That guy really need to lighten up judging by his later comments.

You can stop talking about me now like I don't have eyes to read this thread.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of anime, and I especially dislike the whole idea of girls in skimpy outfits wiping out a gagillion enemies with one swipe of a ridiculously oversized weapon.

But, I have to admit... Rwby intrigues me. Besides, I've been an RT fan for years, and I think I owe them the benefit of the doubt.

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

Dude you seriously need to calm down.

And you can go back to making threads whining about why everyone on this site is so goddamn negative. See? That is me actively attacking you. People can take issue all they want with what I say, and yes, I do care about it, because wouldn't you get sick of pedantic twerps constantly talking your ear off about how invalid your opinion is because of how you wrote your response?

Dude seriously, stop making so many posts on this thread while you're in a bad mood. It won't end well. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but you roaring in anger like this is just going to make your position look even worse. That was mainly what I was trying to point out, your post had a lot of bitterness behind it, and nearly every other post you've made on this thread has been even more bitter. Heck, I only got involved because I saw that someone had responded to you how your first post got some things wrong, and I was trying to point out that not making sour generalizations would help you avoid this stuff. I was trying to HELP you.

Kopikatsu:

[Kira Must Die]:
I thought the first trailer was fun in that DMC sort of way

That's actually what I was going to mention-

A major complaint with the first video seemed to be 'Red's too strong, there's no drama' or whatever. But people didn't like watching Dante fight because they thought he might lose. They watched because they wanted to see how hard he'd kicked X's ass and how stylish he'd be while doing it.

Of the two trailers, I prefer Red. However, for the 'shit got serious' parts (Where Red loads the special ammunition, or when White starts to use her Estoc's revolver...thing)...about equal, although White might be slightly better.

Style doesn't always cut it unless the other guy is pushing him to the limit. It not so much that Red was OP, it's that the wolves were no threat at ALL. You're gunna have her fight like that, give her something worth her time. This seemed like it was much more of a story behind this character, The other was just playing of Little Red Ridding Hood.

Well it looks like Monty is having fun with this series, I am looking forward to it just because it is a RT series and RvB is probably my favorite web series in existence. (referring of course to the "fiction" web series, I still love my ZP, and Jimquisition)
I should probably add that I am not the biggest Anime fan, but again they will get the benifit of the doubt in this situation. I just hope the episodes don't have as much of a gap as the trailers.

DVS BSTrD:

Kopikatsu:

[Kira Must Die]:
I thought the first trailer was fun in that DMC sort of way

A major complaint with the first video seemed to be 'Red's too strong, there's no drama' or whatever. But people didn't like watching Dante fight because they thought he might lose. They watched because they wanted to see how hard he'd kicked X's ass and how stylish he'd be while doing it.

Of the two trailers, I prefer Red. However, for the 'shit got serious' parts (Where Red loads the special ammunition, or when White starts to use her Estoc's revolver...thing)...about equal, although White might be slightly better.

Style doesn't always cut it unless the other guy is pushing him to the limit. It not so much that Red was OP, it's that the wolves were no threat at ALL. You're gunna have her fight like that, give her something worth her time. This seemed like it was much more of a story behind this character, The other was just playing of Little Red Ridding Hood.

Question: At any point, did you believe that White would lose? If not, then what does it matter? There's no threat either way.

Kopikatsu:

DVS BSTrD:

Kopikatsu:

Question: At any point, did you believe that White would lose? If not, then what does it matter? There's no threat either way.

That's what I'm saying: It's not the "threat" it's the fact that this guy actually managed to fight back and thus make it interesting. Red might as well have been cutting melons.

I liked the Red trailer personally. My only concern was that it would be non stop gratuitous combat with no real pacing or challenge (like Dynasty Warriors for example), but White has given me a great deal of hope, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Gunner_Guardian:
I also liked this trailer better since it seemed to be based around defeating one strong enemy instead of wolf cannon folder.

However it didn't clear up the one thing I was concerned about. Mount Oum (I'm pretty sure this is mostly his project) is known for his ability to animate some of the best fight scenes, I don't think anyone doubts that. However I don't know how well other aspects will hold up like..... plot...

Maybe the next trailer will clear that up. In the meantime I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

I'm sure it won't be a one man project. It is credited as a RoosterTeeth production. And with the amount of positive feedback they've been getting for it I would have thought they will pour a ton of resources into it.

Maybe even hire NEW staff to help with the project.

Hagi:

I mean the red riding hood had the wolves and the red hood, pretty obvious. But I'm not really seeing much Snow White symbolism here, only the mirror song really which seems a minor part at best (and not really Snow White's thing anyway, rather that of the evil queen).

But you know... Snow White's whole thing kinda is the "Skin white as snow, lips red as blood and hair black as ebony" as well as the apple. So yeah...

I don't know if anyone has said this yet or not, but These characters are not supposed to be 'the' Snow White or Red Riding Hood, it's supposed to be the 'archetype of the character design' such as 'Weiss' being a fair maiden, good singer, mature, privileged, someone who doesn't physically fight all that often, whereas 'Red' seems to be a young girl (mid teens?) who seems a bit immature and really enjoys a fight. That's what I think it means, I don't think Weiss will be hanging out with a bunch of Dwarves and hiding out from a evil Queen and I doubt Red will be avenging her grandmother after a wolf ate her.
Oh I'll also add here, (I dunno if Monty grew up in America or not but) in Asian countries Snow White is known as 'white princess' in fairytales and books, so that might be why she's all white 'n stuff.

Jun_Jun:

Hagi:

I don't know if anyone has said this yet or not, but These characters are not supposed to be 'the' Snow White or Red Riding Hood, it's supposed to be the 'archetype of the character design' such as 'Weiss' being a fair maiden, good singer, mature, privileged, someone who doesn't physically fight all that often, whereas 'Red' seems to be a young girl (mid teens?) who seems a bit immature and really enjoys a fight. That's what I think it means, I don't think Weiss will be hanging out with a bunch of Dwarves and hiding out from a evil Queen and I doubt Red will be avenging her grandmother after a wolf ate her.
Oh I'll also add here, (I dunno if Monty grew up in America or not but) in Asian countries Snow White is known as 'white princess' in fairytales and books, so that might be why she's all white 'n stuff.

Are you sure?

Because the wolves, red hood, mirror song and 'Weiss' name (Snow White is a German fairy-tale) all point that they were pretty much intended to be at the very least heavily inspired by those characters. Purely going by Yellow's silhouette it seems likely she's going to be Goldilocks.

It's not that it's bad or anything, they're free to take whatever characters they wish and forget half the source material. But I would say it'd add to the quality if they wore their inspiration proudly and fully rather than going halfway.

I liked it, preferred the Red trailer though.

Music was fantastic in both, Jeff Williams in an excellent composer. Animation is very impressive.
I liked it very much but the Red trailer just hit a betted note with me.

I don't like spectacle fighting, period. It's not fun to watch when there's no tension.

Jun_Jun:

Hagi:

Good singer? Pfft. Who the hell sings while looking at the floor? With no microphone.

Bitch was miming.

Well that was... cool I guess.

I have no idea what the hell I just watched but it looked cool, or at least the action bits did anyway. Moving on.

So... what exactly is this show supposed to be about? Is it just going be over the top, context free fights, like those Dead Fantasy clips? Or is there going to be a genuine story?

Anyway, anime styled CGI never sits right with me. You have something that looks like traditional animation, but moves like wooden CGI (which is why I hate the new Berserk movies). Either make it anime or make it CGI. Combining the two just makes it feel like I'm watching 3D cardboard characters.

But then I can be very anal about animation quality.

Glasgow:
I don't like spectacle fighting, period. It's not fun to watch when there's no tension.

Very few things have tension, you know who is going to win no matter what anyway.

Desert Punk:

Glasgow:

Very few things have tension, you know who is going to win no matter what anyway.

I wouldn't say it like that. If a movie doesn't have any tension then I don't see much of a reason to watch except for seeing a documentary about events I already know of. Even if you're watching a WW2 plot movie with Soviet troops you know the Germans will loose at the end, but you don't know which characters will survive and what experiences they will go through. Even if you're watching a romance flick, there's always tension as to whether or not the two main lovers will come together and how (or if) they could resolve their quarrel.

Bread and Circuses.

Glasgow:

Desert Punk:

Glasgow:

I wouldn't say it like that. If a movie doesn't have any tension then I don't see much of a reason to watch except for seeing a documentary about events I already know of. Even if you're watching a WW2 plot movie with Soviet troops you know the Germans will loose at the end, but you don't know which characters will survive and what experiences they will go through. Even if you're watching a romance flick, there's always tension as to whether or not the two main lovers will come together and how (or if) they could resolve their quarrel.

Bread and Circuses.

But that doesnt hold up for trailers which this is. Naturally you arent going to encounter White dieing a horrible brutal death in her own trailer :P Just like you wont see John Mclain or his son take a bullet to the braincase in the new Die Hard trailers, gotta save that for the actual show or movie!

Desert Punk:

Glasgow:

Desert Punk:

Bread and Circuses.

But that doesnt hold up for trailers which this is. Naturally you arent going to encounter White dieing a horrible brutal death in her own trailer :P Just like you wont see John Mclain or his son take a bullet to the braincase in the new Die Hard trailers, gotta save that for the actual show or movie!

You're right. I said that I dislike spectacle fighting, and this is all that I have seen so far in the trailers. It's not fun to see them make slaughter or combat into something graceful. War is unpredictable and cutthroat. I said I didn't like how it looks like and I suppose I won't enjoy the show itself once it's out.

Wow didn't know the were so many experts on film design and animation here. Tell ya what nay sayers, you show me you can do better an I might put some weight on your words.

I'm curious about this project, They are doing what they love an even if the end project is not to my tastes I'm totally cool with that. Someone out there will love it as much as its creators obviously do :)

Looks like crap, in my own opinion.

Not keen on the art style or the general idea of a small girl with a million weapons taking down hordes of enemies.

Doesn't really appeal. I found the music too annoying to actually finish watching the trailer though. The singing just drilled into my skull.

The animations really nice, especially for (what I assume is) an armature animation.
But it's so generic and boring I just don't care.

Small characterless girl dances around a giant with a cumbersome sword and uses her magic sword to defeat it in a bland, although nicely animated fight scene.

It's the kind of thing you could find in hundreds of animes and you'd be hard pressed to spot much difference.

I'll pass.

Kinda meh.

The first trailer with the werewolves was way more interesting.

I guess I just can't get behind a combat scene where the hero is wearing something so utterly impractical.

I'll buy the color changing sword, the giant armor suit, the awesomely impossible moves, but really? THAT'S what you're wearing into battle?

Reminds me of an old stick newgrounds flash mixed in with a few anime tropes. As a trailer it didn't really grab me. I'm not a fan of CGI in my anime either, so that's a factor.

The art is decent though, so if it's just one or two dudes/ladies then props to them on that.

I think the biggest missed opportunity here was the knight. Why have some boring ass, faceless knight? This could have been an opportunity to establish your world and its characters and inject some genuine tension. Instead it's just "oh, look, the most generic enemy possible, I wonder if she'll lose".

I get impressions of their characters. Ruby likes to fight. She's self assured. Weiss is more a quiet girl she's sad about something in her past. She'll still kick seven kinds of ass, but it seems the knight has some ill defined connection to her torment.

On a side not did anyone notice at the beginning of her performance Weiss already had the scar?

So like did he drop making the Dead Fantasy series?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked