Meteor burned up over Russia today

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Anyone else hear of this? Quite exciting stuff!

Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/15/breaking_huge_meteor_explodes_over_russia.html

DAT SONIC BOOM. [insert Rainbow Dash image here]

It's scary though that they didn't know it was coming. True, no real lasting damage was done, but how big can they get without us seeing them if they come from the sun's direction?

Russian Superman.

Totally calling it.

Better learn to start speaking Russian, huh :D

I'm glad there were no serious injuries. Broken windows must suck though, it's below freezing!

Daystar Clarion:
Russian Superman.

Totally calling it.

Red Son, is that you?

Daystar Clarion:
Russian Superman.

Totally calling it.

I KNEW I should have paid more attention in Russian class! Er, я зовут trollnystan. не делай мне больно! D=

(My Russian teacher would be so proud I remember how to introduce myself! Not so much for the Google translated second part...)

TopazFusion:
SNIPPETY VIDEOS

That's some frightening stuff right there. Hard to believe it's real.

Oh, should have thought about including the videos! Thanks Topaz =)

Absolutely awesome. Wish I was there to see it.

Earthquakes, and meteors. I never thought I would see all this happen in real life during my life time.
Also, it is scary to think how much effect and damage the meteor would have had if it had fallen on large cities like NY and tokyo.

So I have only one question:

How the heck they missed this meteor and we didn't heared something by someone official from the goverment ro something similar?

SweetShark:

How the heck they missed this meteor and we didn't heared something by someone official from the goverment ro something similar?

Because most governments in the world are more interested in petty squabbles and posturing than they are in helping us reach the next level of societal development- the awareness of what goes on in the vacuum around our planet and the ability to affect it.

Angie7F:
Earthquakes, and meteors. I never thought I would see all this happen in real life during my life time.
Also, it is scary to think how much effect and damage the meteor would have had if it had fallen on large cities like NY and tokyo.

Not much of an effect I would presume seeing as the meteorites were only 1-3 meters in diameter. Pretty bad to have fall in your backyard but nothing that will mess up an entire city.

The 45 m in diameter that passes by tonight would be worse.

So, how is that space program coming along?

Edit:

SweetShark:

Apparently, it came from the direction of the sun and it's much more difficult to detect them in that case. We mostly detect only those coming from the direction of the night sky.
If aliens want to attack us, that's where they should be coming from.

Atrocious Joystick:

Angie7F:

Not much of an effect I would presume seeing as the meteorites were only 1-3 meters in diameter. Pretty bad to have fall in your backyard but nothing that will mess up an entire city.

But according to Roskosmos (Russian "NASA"), the rock was moving at 30 km/s or at 108000 km/h.
There's a shitton of kinetic energy stored in that.

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/
http://rt.com/news/russia-meteor-meteorite-asteroid-chelyabinsk-291/
It wouldn't destroy New York but seeing as this one shattered about every window in tens of kilometers NY would be a mess :P

SweetShark:

It's a rather small meteorite, it could've been missed by radar.

Thedutchjelle:

SweetShark:

It's a rather small meteorite, it could've been missed by radar.

That's what NASA is saying right now: the meteorite was just too small to be picked up on their radar. It's not a particularly uncommon occurrence--maybe once every ten years or so.

Thedutchjelle:

Atrocious Joystick:

Angie7F:

But according to Roskosmos (Russian "NASA"), the rock was moving at 30 km/s or at 108000 km/h.
There's a shitton of kinetic energy stored in that.

Was that when it entered the atmosphere, or when it hit the ground, though?

Ouch! That's fucking freaky! Actually, scratch that. What's really fucking freaky is that this meteorite was separate from the big one that's bypassing the Earth today and had been all over the news for the past week. If they couldn't detect the Russian meteorite and it's sonic boom caused that much damage and injury, I don't even wanna think about what might have happened if it was the big one.

That third's video's "THUD"...

Man, if that had happened where I lived, I would've shit myself so hard the turds would've shot through my pants. Damn, hope my Russian brothers and sisters are all right.

Has there been any report of lights killing people? If so I guess that film The Darkest Hours has been made real!

Anyway, I do agreed that some scientist should of know about about the incoming meteor (the telescope guys were having a day off?). Still at least no one was killed from it.

Now I want to read the result on the meteor findings or could it be an alien invasion?

Some of these videos are insane.I couldn't imagine seeing something like that in person. It's pretty amazing how quick it was from the time it appeared to when it hit. I got a kick noticing how in the videos with them driving nobody pulled over or slammed on their brakes, they just kept on doing their thing like meteors fall from the sky every day in Russia.If that happened in the US there would be more injuries from the car accidents than the impact.

I find it kinda scary how yesterday, there was a news thread talking about a person's chance about getting hit by an asteroid and suddenly this happens.

roushutsu:
Ouch! That's fucking freaky! Actually, scratch that. What's really fucking freaky is that this meteorite was separate from the big one that's bypassing the Earth today and had been all over the news for the past week. If they couldn't detect the Russian meteorite and it's sonic boom caused that much damage and injury, I don't even wanna think about what might have happened if it was the big one.

It's not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Scientists have played down suggestions that there is any link between the event in the Urals and 2012 DA14, an asteroid expected to race past the Earth on Friday at a distance of just 27,700km (17,200 miles) - the closest ever predicted for an object of that size.

Prof Alan Fitzsimmons, of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen's University Belfast, said there was "almost definitely" no connection.

"One reason is that 2012 DA14 is approaching Earth from the south, and this object hit in the northern hemisphere," he told BBC News.

"This is literally a cosmic coincidence, although a spectacular one."

Such meteor strikes are rare in Russia but one is thought to have devastated an area of more than 2,000 sq km (1,250m) in Siberia in 1908.

TopazFusion:

That's some frightening stuff right there. Hard to believe it's real.

Holy crap, that would be terrifying.

I think if I was driving that car I would have pulled over, dived in a ditch and awaited the end of times.

I read a description of what a extinction event level meteor would do. If you were right under it you'd die from the heat caused by the air being compressed under the meteor. If you were further away you'd just see a mile-high wave of debris coming straight at you, but it would be completely silent because it would be travelling faster than sound.

Obviously this one wasn't that big, but if I were anywhere near ground zero I wouldn't be stopping to make distinctions.

trollnystan:
snip

Is that the one that was supposed to be seen on the 15th of feb? I thought it was supposed to come at 7.30pm gmt0 O.o

Man, it would be awesome to see something like that in person. Especially if there were no injuries.

Pretty crazy! Question for physics people or anybody knowledgeable on the subject

If the other one that's passing by earth were to hit would it cause that much damage? Some seem to think that if it did we'd go the way of the dinosaurs but to my knowledge that was miles and miles long. The one passing earth is about 150 feet in width so... yeah. Just not sure exactly how bad a 150ft meteor would be.

DugMachine:
Pretty crazy! Question for physics people or anybody knowledgeable on the subject

If the other one that's passing by earth were to hit would it cause that much damage? Some seem to think that if it did we'd go the way of the dinosaurs but to my knowledge that was miles and miles long. The one passing earth is about 150 feet in width so... yeah. Just not sure exactly how bad a 150ft meteor would be.

Let's put it this way, if it hit NYC, there would be no more NYC. But that's the extent of the damage, a large city being wiped out.

Let me guess, it contains green self-replicating radioactive crystals?
Now only question is- GDI or Nod?

captcha: inside out
The Forgotten? Really?

I'm going to put this here.

And say no more about it.

However, that would have been incredibly cool to see, so long as I didn't get a bit of falling glass stuck in my head. Nothing cool ever happens in England.

Snownine:
Man, it would be awesome to see something like that in person. Especially if there were no injuries.

Actually, there are plenty of people injured, but no deaths, many have minor cuts and bruises from the broken glass, others are a bit worse.

Anyway, it's a miracle no one was killed and the majority of injuries are minor, it landed in a lake away from people, it would have been worse if it landed anywhere in a town.

But a meteor hitting for the first time in hundreds of years, that's impressive.

TizzytheTormentor:

Snownine:

Actually, there are plenty of people injured, but no deaths, many have minor cuts and bruises from the broken glass, others are a bit worse.

Anyway, it's a miracle no one was killed and the majority of injuries are minor, it landed in a lake away from people, it would have been worse if it landed anywhere in a town.

But a meteor hitting for the first time in hundreds of years, that's impressive.

Hundreds of years? ;>_>

Nobody tell him that this kind of stuff happens WAY more often that that, but usually in remote areas.

Katatori-kun:

SweetShark:

Because most governments in the world are more interested in petty squabbles and posturing than they are in helping us reach the next level of societal development- the awareness of what goes on in the vacuum around our planet and the ability to affect it.

That and the fact it was probably only about the size of a small car.

Space is a pretty big place!

I knew it was coming. I was reading just last week that an asteroid was going to enter Earth's atmosphere on February 15th.

Truth be told, I was more worried it would hit one of our billion and a half satellites and have its trajectory changed to crash right into Earth.

KiKiweaky:

trollnystan:
snip

Is that the one that was supposed to be seen on the 15th of feb? I thought it was supposed to come at 7.30pm gmt0 O.o

No this is a totally different one. It also came from the wrong direction to have been apart of the 2012 DA14 asteroid, which has passed us safely by now.

Exius Xavarus:
I knew it was coming. I was reading just last week that an asteroid was going to enter Earth's atmosphere on February 15th.

Truth be told, I was more worried it would hit one of our billion and a half satellites and have its trajectory changed to crash right into Earth.

As I posted before, it is not even remotely related to the big one.

Meteorites slam into the planet all the time. Usually they are small and enter in remote areas that may have a handful of people for miles. This one just happened to wander into the airspace of a town.

Jack the Potato:

TizzytheTormentor:

Snownine:

Hundreds of years? ;>_>

Nobody tell him that this kind of stuff happens WAY more often that that, but usually in remote areas.

Well, I suppose I should have said close to places, if they hit in remote areas, no one really cares, I know they hit, but they don't usually cause news like this.

DugMachine:

Something like 5-7.5 megatons of tnt or roughly 1000 times the Hiroshima bomb. Events on that scale happen roughly once every 1000 years and the last one happen in 1908 in Siberia. So you can breath easy it's not likely to happen again any time soon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked