Things You Like By People You Hate

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is there a film/song/whatever that you love, but it's by a director/singer/whoever you usually can't stand?

I absolutely hate the Black Eyed Peas, but I enjoy "Rock That Body" a lot more than I think I should.

Taylor Swift and that new song about him being trouble. It's so damn catchy!!! (really...you could put just about any TS song here. I want to choke her ass to death but the music is catchy! STOP IT!!! STOP IT NOW!!!!)

Someone needs to get that girl a fucking dog or something. Give her SOMETHING else to sing about besides either being in love or falling out of love. This has been the closest she has ever gotten to admitting that she's a little at fault with a "It's my fault for not realizing what an asshole you were" type comment.

The Chive will help me express my feelings!:

tippy2k2:
Taylor Swift and that new song about him being trouble. It's so damn catchy!!! (really...you could put just about any TS song here. I want to choke her ass to death but the music is catchy! STOP IT!!! STOP IT NOW!!!!)

Someone needs to get that girl a fucking dog or something. Give her SOMETHING else to sing about besides either being in love or falling out of love. This has been the closest she has ever gotten to admitting that she's a little at fault with a "It's my fault for not realizing what an asshole you were" type comment.

The Chive will help me express my feelings!:

KCCO

*looks on youtube for song in question*

Oh, that song. I have heard it far too often for my liking and yet here I am listening to it, being constantly reminded that she has serious love issues. :/

tippy2k2:
Someone needs to get that girl a fucking dog or something.

Given the context, and remembering that this is the internet, that may have been a poor choice of words.

OT: There isn't really much in the way of media that I have more than passing indifference toward if I don't explicitly enjoy it.

I'm really struggling to think of something, actually, because if I don't enjoy something, I just avoid it and so I'm never overexposed to it.

shrekfan246:

tippy2k2:
Someone needs to get that girl a fucking dog or something.

Given the context, and remembering that this is the internet, that may have been a poor choice of words.

OT: There isn't really much in the way of media that I have more than passing indifference toward if I don't explicitly enjoy it.

I'm really struggling to think of something, actually, because if I don't enjoy something, I just avoid it and so I'm never overexposed to it.

You know what...I would accept Taylor Swift's new-found fetish if it would get her to sing about anything else besides how she's either falling in love or out of love depending on what time it currently is...

Although then we'll start getting songs about how Rex isn't the one for her but Rover is but then Rover is a bad boy who does something and so now she's in love with Dancer who was sensitive but blah blah blah blah blah....

Uhhh well I've loved Ender's Game ever since I first read it as a teenager. Then I was rereading it a few months ago and I thought to myself, "Hey, I wonder what this Orson Scott Card guy is doing these days."

So I looked on the internet to find out.

And I stumbled across a few of his more recent "musings", in particular on the subject of homosexuality.

So, to answer the question: Ender's Game and the sequels, by Orson Scott Card. I managed to stop reading his blog before my mind become saturated enough by his bollocks to prevent any future enjoyment of his old works, but if I ever took it upon myself to trawl through all his homophobic rubbish I would no doubt end up hating him.

Lance Armstrong.

People may not hate him as much as the cast of Twilight, but honestly I could care less about the fact that was doping himself up. Is it unfair? Hell yes it was.

But I look past that because of the simple fact that he purposefully made an organization that is helping to fight one of the biggest epidemics, created by our own bodies: cancer.

Edit: Whoops, I applied this to all celebrities, not artists in specific. As far as musicians/films/etc. that were great by directors/actors/singers/etc. that I hate, I'd go with "Do The Right Thing" by Spike Lee.

Great film directed by a guy who I cannot help but despise.

Braveheart and Apocalypto.

Mel Gibson is a giant asshole, but the guy knows how to make a great movie.

Dakota Fanning - Push and Man on Fire
Push because she reminds me of Marvel's Layla Miller. She knows stuff.
Man on Fire because just when everything is perfect, she's kidnapped and wrapped in ducttape. Best thing to ever happen to her IMO. (I will miss Tony Scott)

Mel Gibson - Payback. Say what you will about Statham's turn on the remake, I much prefer the blue-gray noir feel of this version.

Tom Cruise movies.

The guy is a crazy and unbalanced loon and a pseudo-religious fanatic, but his movies are always just awesome!

Every Tarentino film. He makes fantastic movies, all of which I love and 3 of which that are my favorite films, but the man is a complete and utter asshole about everything.

Surprised nobody has said Star Wars.

So... Star Wars. All Lucas had to do was release the originals on dvd/blu ray and the world would have loved him again. He couldn't even manage that and now the chance has gone.

Also U-571: straight from the 'let's fuck over the rest of the Allied war effort and make America win WW2 by itself' department. One of the absolute worst cases of American film stealing the glory of another country's wartime achievements, but by god is it a solid action romp. If the crew had been British, it would have been a perfect movie.

Squilookle:

If the crew had been British, it would have been a perfect movie.

Now I know there have been some great developments in the british-accent department, but can you imagine Jon Bon Jovi doing one?

Antwerp Caveman:

Squilookle:

If the crew had been British, it would have been a perfect movie.

Now I know there have been some great developments in the british-accent department, but can you imagine Jon Bon Jovi doing one?

Yeah good point. Perhaps a whole cast swap would have been needed too.

I hate DJ Sammy for making this song-

However on the other hand I like DJ Sammy for making this song aswell-

Also I have no problem with that Heaven 911 remix version and I aware that Boys of Summer is a updated version of the original song of the same name which is also good aswell.

boots:
Uhhh well I've loved Ender's Game ever since I first read it as a teenager. Then I was rereading it a few months ago and I thought to myself, "Hey, I wonder what this Orson Scott Card guy is doing these days."

And I stumbled across a few of his more recent "musings", in particular on the subject of homosexuality.

So, to answer the question: Ender's Game and the sequels, by Orson Scott Card. I managed to stop reading his blog before my mind become saturated enough by his bollocks to prevent any future enjoyment of his old works, but if I ever took it upon myself to trawl through all his homophobic rubbish I would no doubt end up hating him.

hes an ok authour i like his work, whats he said about.. wtf is his problem :-| wow

I hate Fall Out Boy.

I hate the band Atreyu, but love the song Falling Down. It gets me so hyped.

I'm pretty sure I hate Richard D. James a lot. He's a constant liar, an asshole to other artists, and he gave us the horror that is the "Come to Daddy" video. But man, he knows his way around a Roland.

Morrissey is kind of a dick with his militant veganism and antisocial mannerisms but I love every bit of music he has ever had apart in.

Not really by him but...

Michael Cera- Arrested Development and Scott Pilgrim

I just hate his face, he looks like a giant, irritating bird.

Evil Smurf:
Morrissey is kind of a dick with his militant veganism and antisocial mannerisms but I love every bit of music he has ever had apart in.

While I agree with this, the main reason I quoted you was to say that i love your profile gif thing with the kitten.

It's cuter than a puppy and a kitten both trying to climb into the same slipper.

Gecko clown:
Every Tarentino film. He makes fantastic movies, all of which I love and 3 of which that are my favorite films, but the man is a complete and utter asshole about everything.

Yep, this.
Which makes his cameos extra awful for people like us. That mans face makes me want to kill.

Scarim Coral:
I hate DJ Sammy for making this song-

However on the other hand I like DJ Sammy for making this song aswell-

Also I have no problem with that Heaven 911 remix version and I aware that Boys of Summer is a updated version of the original song of the same name which is also good aswell.

The exact opposite for me. The original Don Henley version is one of my favorite songs and the DJ Sammy version makes me want to vomit.

His version of Heaven, however, I actually quite like.

electric_warrior:

Evil Smurf:

While I agree with this, the main reason I quoted you was to say that i love your profile gif thing with the kitten.

It's cuter than a puppy and a kitten both trying to climb into the same slipper.

That is the look I'm going for.

DanielBrown:

Gecko clown:

Yep, this.
Which makes his cameos extra awful for people like us. That mans face makes me want to kill.

He is quite opinionated, I like him, but I can understand why you would not. I dislike Morrissey for the same reasons.

Pretty much everything Fun puts out. I don't want to like it, but I just can't help myself.

boots:

I'm not JUST a fan of Ender's Game and the sequels... I consider OSC's vision of the future and of how mankind needs to change to adapt to it to be revolutionary. His fictional accounts of the Formic Wars and the ramifications they had both on Earth and over the course of generations spanning across all of man's colonies present intriguing and useful points. It's like reading really good historical fiction, except the history hasn't been made yet.

Then I read about his religious and political views, and repeatedly facepalm. The disconnect between his genius and his bigotry is astounding.

OT: This thread can be interpreted in two ways: Hating the individual but liking their work (Card, Tarantino), or hating the majority of someone's work but loving one piece of it (Black Keys). Going by the latter, I typically hate everything remotely related to Justin Beiber, but then a new song by him hit the radio and I found myself really liking it before I realized it was Beiber singing (his voice finally dropped, holy crap). And I'm not so proud as to deprive myself of a song I like just because it's by an artist I don't respect.

I guess off the top of my head Black eyes peas, they released the beauty that is where is the love and while they've released some good songs since they never stayed true and just make auto tuned shit.

There's a lot of felons in Hollywood. Roman Polanski raped a 14 year old girl. Mark Walberg put someones eye out. The Die Hard directer got arrested for all sorts of wrong doings. Compared to to stuff like that, Tarentino is extremely likable. Frank Miller may be a jerk but only killed women in his books.

Now that I think about it, Dave Sims, Scott Adams, Neal Adams, Michael Crichton, Elia Kazan, Stan Lee ect. I could probably think of more if i thought about it.

Love U2's old music, but can't stand Bono. A millionaire/ billionaire yet preaches to others about giving money to the poor. Their music went downhill fast after his went up his own behind after The Joshua Tree (and, no, Achtang Baby was mediocre at best)

This isn't quite what the thread is about but I still want to mention it.

I used to dislike Kanye West but after listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy I have gained respect for the man.

Casual Shinji:
Braveheart and Apocalypto.

Mel Gibson is a giant asshole, but the guy knows how to make a great movie.

...and Mad Max.

(Mad Max!)

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are both among my favorite 5 books.

Orson Scott Card ranks somewhat lower as far as favorite people go.

Yojoo:

boots:

I'm not JUST a fan of Ender's Game and the sequels... I consider OSC's vision of the future and of how mankind needs to change to adapt to it to be revolutionary. His fictional accounts of the Formic Wars and the ramifications they had both on Earth and over the course of generations spanning across all of man's colonies present intriguing and useful points. It's like reading really good historical fiction, except the history hasn't been made yet.

Then I read about his religious and political views, and repeatedly facepalm. The disconnect between his genius and his bigotry is astounding.

OT: This thread can be interpreted in two ways: Hating the individual but liking their work (Card, Tarantino), or hating the majority of someone's work but loving one piece of it (Black Keys). Going by the latter, I typically hate everything remotely related to Justin Beiber, but then a new song by him hit the radio and I found myself really liking it before I realized it was Beiber singing (his voice finally dropped, holy crap). And I'm not so proud as to deprive myself of a song I like just because it's by an artist I don't respect.

@Yojoo: My example was basically both versions - I hate most of what the Black Eyed Peas do AND them honestly believing themselves to be cool, hip, fly, whatever when the lyrics to nearly every song of theirs I've heard sounds like they were written by a 5-year-old. That essentially still applies to RTB, but I like a good tempo and it just works for me. I also hate Bieber's stuff, but honestly, if he really is as talented as they make him out to be (can actually sing, plays several instruments, a prodigy in some sense), my hate goes not to him directly but more towards how much of a waste his career is. I'm hoping when he gets older he'll go "Sgt. Pepper" at some point and just start coming out with the most psychotic, groundbreaking stuff.

@boots: The octopus GIF is my new favorite thing.

I hate Joel Schumacher, yet, I love Falling Down.To me, it's the only good thing the man has ever done in his life.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here