Favorite Rap/Hip-hop songs!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

List your favorite rap and hip-hop songs here!

I have many but right now, I like listening to A$ap Rocky Eff'in Problems Long.Live.Asap Guap - Big Sean Young And Gettin' It - Meek Mill Celebration - The Game

My list changes frequently as I remember songs I like and listen to new ones.

The original white rapper. Yet, he don't get no respect.

For the time being, this is my favorite.

And Tech N9ne is my favorite rapper.
The Beast, Worldwide Choppers, and The Rain are some other great
works by him I feel I should recommend.

Tech N9ne is good, I hardly hear him from any of my friends though. Same with Meek Mill.

theres too many

and I havnt even gotten to macklemore and ryan lewis.....when most rappers try and rap about somthing "deep" they often come across as fake and insincere...but this guy gives me chills

I listen to a lot of hip hop and most of the time I really like some relaxing hip hop. Here's one that makes me anxious for spring.

EDIT: Oh God I can't forget this song too

The first time I heard this on San Andreas I was addicted to it.

Definitely Immortal Technique's "Dance With The Devil":

Shows the beauty that rap can be.

Currently my favourite song; ironically my favourite part is Ye's outro and not Jay's rapping. It has nothing to do with not being able to rap his part, I swear >_>.

Vault101:
Snip

*high five for Macklemore and Ryan Lewis* Somebody in the rate the song above you forum said they were pretentious.

I second Macklemore and Ryan Lewis with this song:

Also, Kendrick Lamar is very good:

The first few that come to mind:

Vinnie Paz - End Of Days
Tupac - California Love
Eminem - Forgot About Dre

It is, and always has been, all about the Beastie Boys. The thing that's seriously missing from all rap nowadays is a power rangers style battle and a giant VW badge.

My favourite at the moment has to be One Mic by Nas

This is what hip-hop should be like... Not some dumbass that wears jeggings/skirts and just raps about the same "money, weed, bitches" all the damn time.

Dunno if I can pick just one... especially considering I stick to artists or groups... but I unno, gotta throw some That Handsome Devil in there... they're probably my favorite...<.<

If you can even call them rap...<.>

and anything the Gorillaz put out, regardless of what rappers are involved, always good shit...<.<

And can't forget some Outkast...<.<

And some Bone Thugs N Harmony... really the first rappers I ever got into...<.<

My latest fixture is MCFrontalot though... has such a weird flow... not to mention nerdcore has it's charms...

and L'Homme Run... because it's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard...<.<

and to think that if you gave them a few years, they'd turn into Vampire Weekend...<.<

Oh and Butthole Surfers... because Butthole Surfers...<.<

really hard to even call rap... seeing as how the rapping is really bad... but god damnit... if anyone can make this stuff work it's the Butthole Surfers...<.<

Kenbo Slice:

Also, Kendrick Lamar is very good:

Hmm... Jay Rock? I wonder if he stole that from J-Roc...<.<

God, I loved Trailer Park Boys...<.<

I'm not a huge listener of Rap and Hip-Hop, but I do indulge in it a little bit.
Asheru would definitely be my favourite artist.

Rap is not song. Rap is rap.

Rap is lyric poetry, song is much more musical.
The difference is a focus on lyrics vs a focus on melody.

Edit: This is unless you count every oral performance of a text as song.

a bit different from most hip hop but bliss n eso best hip hop group out there

Excluding the obvious classic stuff like NWA, Public Enemy, Wu Tang etc...

Probably the best production I've ever heard in a hip hop song. Has this futuristic grandiose vibe but manages to stay gritty. And Del's flow is incredible. Possibly my favourite hip hop track ever.

Grand cast of features contributes to its immense vibe and the production gives it thiss sexual tension as well. And it's the best thing Nicki Minaj has ever done. I.e. the only good thing Nicki Minaj has ever done.

One of the most polarising hip hop groups out there. I love them. Their music respects no boundaries and just bursts out in immense clusters of energy and frenzied production. And that chorus is so so catchy.

Those slidy siren things in the background get me every time. And the drums as well. Never heard live drums work so well in a hip hop song. Together with that schizophrenic rapping in the chorus this song is just so heavy, intense and immense.

The production here has some weird wacky shit going on and I love it. Especially with that ghost-y female vocal in the background.

Another slightly controversial one. Tyler's rapping has this primal sound to it and the siren like things in the background just heighten that tension.

These three go hand in hand. I prefer El-P as a producer rather than a rapper and this is why. Immense on ear/headphones, although the rapping in the latter two and the atmosphere in the 3rd are incredible.

This guy's already been said by a few people

Instrumental hip hop/jazz

One of my favourite songs from last year. Dark, drunk production and an immensely catchy chorus.

This is a TNGHT track with Captain Murphy (aka Flying Lotus) rapping above it. I loved the TNGHT song even before this but that rapping gives it this vicious bite.

Before he exploded

Another favourite from last year. A big, pumping beat and 3 different rappers pushing for the spotlight, with Kanye delivering that immortal Spike Lee line.

nas & damian marley

Whole album has this deep sexy vibe and the cover art is gorgeous.

Classic

Vault101:

and I havnt even gotten to macklemore and ryan lewis.....when most rappers try and rap about somthing "deep" they often come across as fake and insincere...but this guy gives me chills

yesyesyesyes I can't believe Thrift Shop was his breakout song. Song is annoying as hell, Wings is so much better, more interesting and deeper.

Epic Bear Man:
Definitely Immortal Technique's "Dance With The Devil":

Shows the beauty that rap can be.

Incredible song that one. I love seeing people's reaction to it. Especially when I get some talk about how it's obscene using the word "Nigger" so often. Talk about not getting it.

I'm usually not much of a fan of rap and hip hop, but here's my shortlist (Including Dance with the Devil):

If I had to pick just one, it'd be grudgingly White Flag Warrior. It's not the best song on there, or even the best Flobots on there, but the collaboration with Tim McIlrath sells it.

Basically, everything Mos Def has done. Honourable mentions go to:
The Pharcycle
Cool Calm Pete
Jurassic 5

Aaaaand, although he's only featuring vocalist, he adds significantly to one of my favourite tracks of all time:

The old school Run DMC well the remix version of one of their songs (I do like a few of their others song like It's Tricky, You been Illin's and Walk This Way)

Dizzy:
List your favorite rap and hip-hop songs here!

I have many but right now, I like listening to A$ap Rocky Eff'in Problems Long.Live.Asap Guap - Big Sean Young And Gettin' It - Meek Mill Celebration - The Game

My list changes frequently as I remember songs I like and listen to new ones.

Since I have to write something... I don't know. What is there to say. This song speaks for itself. I love MF Doom.

I love Eminem, and this is the most powerful rap song song I've heard so far. I wish I could see it live.

This song by 2Pac has my favourite rap chorus.

I really like the story in Meet The Parents by Jay-Z, which I can't see a video for. Not the one I want any way.

Just to name one. I do hate it when people ask you to list your favourite songs. It'd make a massive list. You'll have to make do with just one.

I like this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

and like a million other songs.

ron1n:
stuff

Man, you're like the only person that appreciates One Day as a Lion.

AstroSmash:

ron1n:
stuff

Man, you're like the only person that appreciates One Day as a Lion.

Implying people mostly hate them? :/

I couldn't care who zach teams up with anyhow, guy's a legend in whatever he does.

What can I say, that song is just fun.

Edit: Also this one:

It'd be nice if people spoilered their videos.

AnarchistFish:

Grand cast of features contributes to its immense vibe and the production gives it thiss sexual tension as well. And it's the best thing Nicki Minaj has ever done. I.e. the only good thing Nicki Minaj has ever done.

I think her songs "moment 4 life" and "blazin" are pretty good

she isnt crap...she's just making crap

Blue Musician:

I already knew sage francis...but godamn that pip guy!

Mikewillmadeit and young chop best producers out atm, bang bang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0gk2KJeho

also been far too many posts without ATCQ been mentioned

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook