Metal fans - are Dragonforce good live?

Going to a music festival next week and Dragonforce are on the bill, but they're pretty early on in the day. Trying to work out if it's worth fighting the crowds to get there first thing and see them so, like the topic says, I'm wondering if they're actually any good live?

I like their albums (in small to medium size doses - couldn't listen to them every day), but I'm asking because I've heard some pretty mixed reviews on how they pull it off live. Who's seen them and can tell me?

I've not seen them live, but my friend is a metalhead and he has - twice. He says they've been awesome both times, and that Herman Lee somehow managed to play his guitar a little bit faster than in the studio.

I thought the general consensus was that they're a studio band that sounded terrible live?

That was a few years ago now, mind you, so they may very well have improved since then.

Daystar Clarion:
I thought the general consensus was that they're a studio band that sounded terrible live?

That was a few years ago now, mind you, so they may very well have improved since then.

The "terrible live" thing was exaggeration. They had one show where their equipment wasn't set up right, and of course, the internet took that and ran with "they totally suck live". They're actually pretty decent.

Last thing I heard the "they suck live" thing comes from them playing at a big venue and having their equipment set up wrong there. The show was terrible and since then people have been flaming their live shows, even though their recent live shows have been decent.

Honestly, when it comes to Dragonforce I'm not going to dislike them for their live ability, I just don't enjoy their music.

At a festival, if you don't have a clash there's no reason not to see them IMO. Judge the quality of their live show for yourself.

I have seen then twice and both times they were great. Lots of fun to watch, great sound and overall enjoyable.
I would recommend getting as close to the stage as possible though, since they do hand out free beer sometimes.
Also, watching them jump around like total maniacs is just that much more fun if you are close to the stage.

Guessing you're going to Soundwave? Looking at the Melbourne timetable there's not much going on around that time. I'll be seeing Stone Sour then Slayer with Dragonforce tucked nicely in between. I might go check them out just to see if they're any good live.

Yeah I've seen them live and they were pretty great. If you're at the festival and there's no one else on at the same time you want to see then go see them, pretty simple really.

I saw them when they came to the UK for their Inhuman Rampage tour - and they were pretty damn good. I have heard that in the early years (i.e. under the first two albums) they couldn't play as fast as the studio versions, and (or perhaps because) they kept coming on-stage drunk. As in, absolutely wankered, too drunk to play properly. But there was none of that when I saw them (god, that was something like 5 years ago!) they were very good. So it is probably worth it if you like them, as I can imagine that they've only got better since then.

I've never seen them myself, but my friends who have say they're really good these days. Apparently they were quite awful a few years ago, but they shaped up.

Saw them live a few years back. Christ, they were terrible. The tone was completely different, they were slower and the vocals were awful. Almost everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. They may have gotten better since but I wouldn't count on it.

Daystar Clarion:

This is what I thought as well...back when Through the Fire And the Flames came out and made the rounds it was huge but then...they started touring and interest in the band went on the wane. This didn't stop them releasing...what, 5 albums? 6? I dunno. I like Dragonforce but I stopped caring about live shows years ago.

Either way though, enjoy the show.

Daystar Clarion:

That's what my friend told me as well, and he was a fan of them.

I saw them in 2006 and I was unimpressed, however I've not actually listened to anything they produced since Inhuman Rampage so I couldn't even tell you how their studio stuff is these days.

Saw them live in 2010 and they were quite good. That said they we're touring and had some excellent support bands (Sabaton being one such band) so they may not be as good at a festival in regards to stage set ups etc.

I'd say it's worth trying to get there and see them.

Weel, people based their "DF SUCKS LIVE" opinions on youtube vids from camera phones (yea....)

Havent had the chance of seeing them live yet, but a friend of mine has and liked it.
Further more, new singer AND Herman Lee has improved.

I've seen Dragonforce live a few years ago (i think 2005, or maybe 2006) opening for another band, and it was kinda good.

Can't really remember it good enough for an educated comparison of quality, but they brought a lot of energy and fun to the stage.

But as i said, it's been quite a few years and before a time where i (and i guess most others) had ever heard of them.

I've seen Dragonforce live twice at festivals, they're nothing special to be honest with you. They sounded alright, they just weren't very interesting, after a while the super fast powermetal songs just kinda blur into one another.

Went to see them a few years ago(well to be honest I went to see Turisas who were the support band and stuck around for DF)and I have to say they were pretty decent.I'm still not a big fan of their music but technically everything was spot on.Plus the keyboardist did a Keytar solo which you just don't get enough of these days

They're okay live. Not as good a sound as their recorded stuff, but if you are a big fan you should see them.

I saw them about 5 years ago and they weren't too bad. The keyboardist did an awesome solo,

Cool, thanks all - I'm thinking I'll probably make the effort to get there early and see them then :)

Aussie502:
Guessing you're going to Soundwave? Looking at the Melbourne timetable there's not much going on around that time. I'll be seeing Stone Sour then Slayer with Dragonforce tucked nicely in between. I might go check them out just to see if they're any good live.

Yep, we're talking Soundwave in Melbourne :)

My day is shaping up to be a few bands that I'm interested to see but wouldn't bother paying to see at a solo show (Dragonforce, Anthrax with Joey, Killswitch, lulz at Six Feet Under, maybe Madball and Sick of it All to kill time), the almighty Slayer (I live in constant fear that every time I see them will be my last chance to see them - of the big four I figure they've gotta be the ones to call it quits first), dinner break then OMG Metallica.

AD-Stu:
My day is shaping up to be a few bands that I'm interested to see but wouldn't bother paying to see at a solo show (Dragonforce, Anthrax with Joey, Killswitch, lulz at Six Feet Under, maybe Madball and Sick of it All to kill time), the almighty Slayer (I live in constant fear that every time I see them will be my last chance to see them - of the big four I figure they've gotta be the ones to call it quits first), dinner break then OMG Metallica.

I feel the exact same way when any of the big 4 are going to be playing, wanting to see them for a potential *last time*. It's quite depressing, really. I didn't manage to go to Soundwave 2011 when Iron Maiden played. If they don't come back for another tour of Australia, that will probably be my biggest ever regret.

Metallica, The Amity Affliction and The Offspring are playing at the exact same time. I have a huge decision on my hands. I've seen Metallica before, but never seen the other 2 bands live. Although, I'm seeing Amity at Pushover, but It's still a really hard decision :(

I saw them in 2008 at mayhem festival in san bernardino, CA. there drums were so loud no one could hear the vocals or the guitars, and they were nearly booed off the stage, then blown away by Disturbed. I think that Dragonforce is a ok band but from my experience I would not recommend seeing them live.

Aussie502:
I feel the exact same way when any of the big 4 are going to be playing, wanting to see them for a potential *last time*. It's quite depressing, really. I didn't manage to go to Soundwave 2011 when Iron Maiden played. If they don't come back for another tour of Australia, that will probably be my biggest ever regret.

I'd reckon there's a good chance you'll get another opportunity to see Maiden live again, now that they've finally worked out that they can make money playing down here.

As for the big four yeah, it's a little bit that way with all of them. I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Metallica and Slayer but I'm largely indifferent about Megadeth and Anthrax (especially Joey Belladonna-fronted Anthrax - saw them once with John Bush and he was soooooooooo much better).

The way I see it though Metallica will keep going and going and going because really, what reason is there to stop? They get to tour the world in luxury, it seems like they all still love what they do and the amount they seem to make it'd be hard to say no to it.

I figure Anthrax will keep going indefinitely too, because Scott Ian has shown that he's willing to go through lineup change after lineup change and still call the band Anthrax, and it seems like he needs the money. Case in point: just found out today they're playing Soundwave without Charlie Bennate.

I figure Megadeth still have a lot of years left in them because again, it could be Dave Mustaine and three randoms and it'd still be Megadeth, and Dave's gotten himself healthy in recent years. Plus I think he'll probably try to keep going at least as long as Metallica just out of spite ;)

Slayer on the other hand... they're starting to look old and they've had a few health scares over the past few years with Tom's back, Jeff's arm, etc. Dave Lombardo will have high-paying session work available to him for life, he doesn't need Slayer per se. So I dunno if it'll be soon, but that's my reasoning for thinking they'll go first and every Slayer show is something not to be missed \m/

Ive never seen them live myself but Ive heard they are very energetic and powerful in live shows. This is also evident in many videos of their shows on youtube. Marc Hudson is nothing like Theart though, so they're not as good live as they were a few years ago.

From what I know, they used to have a problem earlier in their careers with Herman being a drunk douchebag onstage, alongside the fact that they are indeed a studio band.

They seem to have cleaned up their act lately.

I saw them at Wacken a few years ago and wasn't terribly impressed, but when I saw them last year they kicked arse all over the place. so yeah, it's worth it.

Aussie502:

Orange Goblin have the exact same timeslot. Dragonforce are OK, but Orange Goblin are full of stoner-doomy-bluesy goodness. Which is an awesome thing to be full of.

OT, YouTube is your best friend in the lead up to Soundwave, you'll get a good idea of everyone's album and live performances.

Went seeing them last October in Manchester (though in all honesty, I was mainly going for Alestorm, one of the support bands. Alestorm rock) and they were pretty good.
Definitely more of a 'studio band' to my taste, not much presence, but definitely worth a look if you're interested, and by no means bad :)

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Last thing I heard the "they suck live" thing comes from them playing at a big venue and having their equipment set up wrong there. The show was terrible and since then people have been flaming their live shows, even though their recent live shows have been decent.

Honestly, when it comes to Dragonforce I'm not going to dislike them for their live ability, I just don't enjoy their music.

That's what I heard too. Somethig about thier sound guy on the Inhuman Rampage tour being garbage, and they got a bad rep from those shows, but apparently they have gotten much much better.
Just what I heard as well, have not seen them live for myself.

I've seen dragonforce live when they toured with amon amarth an turisas, and they were terrible the support acts blew them away, they seemed more interested in downing JD than playing and performing. Anyway just my opinion I'd never go see them as a headlining act again.

Going to Soundwave I see! Might see you there...cough.

I saw them years ago in a smallish venue. They were great. They played as fast as on the soundtrack and where insanely fun to watch.

I prefer to hear their albums than see them live. They cant play their music live at such speeds present on the albums.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked