Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

kortin:
The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.

What did you not like about it, if I may ask? I'm a pretty big fan of the show, but I do always like to hear the views of those that disagree with me.

KefkaCultist:
Death Note

Well, I didn't skip through that, but I'll admit the second season felt a lot weaker then the first. I think it could've been improved if...

I tried watching this anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena over a year ago and it was so ridiculous... Some girl in school talks to this girl, gets challenged to a duel, shows up at this forest, and sees a winding staircase that seems to go up forever, runs up the stairs to this platform, where some guy duels her.

First episode.

Not once does she question anything.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I couldn't watch anymore. I did start the second episode but it was too much.

Descartes2012:

kortin:
The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.

What did you not like about it, if I may ask? I'm a pretty big fan of the show, but I do always like to hear the views of those that disagree with me.

As a big fan of the show, it probably had something to do with too much nearly naked and flabby Walter White.

Arcana Famiglia. I never got past ep 1 and have no desire to try.

The main character is a girl who looks to be about 14 years old. Her douche-nozzle of a father decied he need to find his Tsundere tomboy of a daughter a man by hosting a tournament where her hand in marrage is the prize. When she objects he offers her a change to fight him, which she looses pretty hard. the rest of the episode consisted of characters, most of whom were grown-ass men, thinking of how awesome it would be to marry, and therefore bang, this 14 year old looking girl. Yes the girl herself was allowed to compete for the right to marry no one and two of the male characters were set up as 'good guys' who said they would give her an option if they won but it still doesn't detract from the creepiness of it all.

Now I've put up with some creepy stuff in anime before (like the over-sexualization of Kirito's middle school aged little sister), but something about the combination of creepiness and misogyny in Arcana Famiglia was pretty close to revolting. And this is coming from a 23 year old single anime fan, their target audience.

Also, My Little Pony.

My best friend IRL is a huge brony so I tried the first three eps and a fourth musical one of his suggestion (something about wrapping up winter). While i see where someone could get into the show very easily, to me it reeked of fairly good Saturday morning kid's show. If i were in the 6th grade it might have been up my alley but now it just feels childish and simple. If i want moral teachings i can get some Kant, St. Aquinas, or one of the millions of other philosophers and theologians who taught past the 3rd grade level. The show just can't live up to the hype imo.

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

You sure about that? Have they gone out into the open and said it? Because in my experience if a show heavily implies that someone is a culprit, it's really just a Red Herring (See Assassin's Creed Brotherhood). Also I'm not a sure Star Wars fan, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get killed until Order 66.

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep519/#!/media/commentary

Filoni all but confirms it, and a leaked image of next weeks episode seals the deal.
Barriss's new non hooded character model was showcased these past two episodes, and there she is fighting Anakin.

Trashing continuity is nothing new for The Clone Wars, but character assassination is probably even worse in the long run. Since we never see Barriss get killed in the movies, obviously the only solution is to kill her off in the TCW cartoon. Never mind that tie in material for Revenge of the Sith already showed her being killed.

verdant monkai:
Game of thrones: the one where Sean Bean dies. I was only there for Sean Bean when I saw his head on a spike I new it was time to leave.

Dude, it's Sean Bean. He has never survived to the end of anything he has been in.

The shows I quit; Scrubs and Bones. Scrubs sometime during season 3 (when J.D was starting his transformation from intelligent young doctor to effeminate man-child). As for Bones, a few episodes in to series 4 where everyone was obvious about their Mary Sue t-shirts.

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:
If so, what was the show in question, and what episode set you off on such an amount of anger that you stopped?

Today, I've stopped watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode this morning pissed me off to the point where I'm ready to bash my computer.

You sure about that? Have they gone out into the open and said it? Because in my experience if a show heavily implies that someone is a culprit, it's really just a Red Herring (See Assassin's Creed Brotherhood). Also I'm not a sure Star Wars fan, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get killed until Order 66.

Filoni all but confirms it, and a leaked image of next weeks episode seals the deal.
Barriss's new non hooded character model was showcased these past two episodes, and there she is fighting Anakin.

Trashing continuity is nothing new for The Clone Wars, but character assassination is probably even worse in the long run. Since we never see Barriss get killed in the movies, obviously the only solution is to kill her off in the TCW cartoon. Never mind that tie in material for Revenge of the Sith already showed her being killed.

I have no idea what that image is supposed to be, but it looks a little too narrow to be anything humanoid like Bariss. And dual curved red lightsabers? Wasn't that Ventress' calling card? Though to be fair I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.

I'm just saying, you should at the very least check in to make sure that you weren't mistaken.

NCIS
The one where one suspect gets labelled "The holder of the highest score in every MMO." with absolutely no joking manner or anything.

I don't remember precisely when this came on, but I'm pretty sure it was late in the 2nd season of Merlin where we finally find out why Uther went all crazy about magic.

Just a bit of background for this version of things, following the death of his wife, for which he blames magic, Uther Pendragon has developed such a violent hatred of all magic, in all its forms, that he has purged it completely from Camelot, this includes children whom he had killed by drowning. This is the episode where we hear the full version of things.

BX3:

Ed, Edd n' Eddy ("Jeez, EVERYONE in this show is a HUGE asshole.")

In its defense, (and Im not sure this is intentional, but this is how I chose the rationalize it) they're kids. And in the words of Donald Glover, kids are like "tiny little Hitlers".(that is to say they're horrible.)

OP: My answer doesn't really count, since I eventually went back and finished the the whole series, but there was one point in the middle of the second season of Code Geass that really took the wind out of my sails for some reason:

Just all of this happening at once seemed really cruel and unfair. This was an ongoing problem that I had with Code Geass. Just when everything seems to be going right, something has to happen to screw it up. It just seems so unfair at times its hard to stick with. To be fair, I did, but I had a lot more times where I had to stop watching for a while before and after the one mentioned above.

Deathlyphil:

"If I drop an item, I believe that it will fall to the ground." (Faith)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

Faith is the starting point of science. Maybe faith IS the wrong word to use. Maybe it does have too much of a religious connection. But, it is accurate.

Science, good science, NEVER EVER EVER works this way EVER because what youve done there is START with a guessed conclusion. YOU NEVER DO THAT because it introduces bais. Having worked in a genetics research lab heres what we did.

"What happens when we drop things? We do not know. A thing will be dropped" (Question)
"I have dropped the item, and it has fallen to the ground." (Evidence)
"All items fall to the ground, and through observation we can explain this effect." (Explanation / outcome)

You never start with a conclusion. You start with a question or a null hypothesis which is

"There is, so far, no reason to believe there is a relationship between X and Y".

Then you seek to DISPROVE it by doing tests with X and Y and seeing what happens. What you never do is

"X affects Y lets try and prove it"

because you often end up twisting evidence to prove your started assumption. Which is why we dont do it ever.

Setting out with a conclusion and trying to gather evidence is wrong. What you do is OBSERVE evidence and DRAW the conclusion. They screwed it up massively. Obvious that they didnt do a lot of research into what happens inside actual labs.

Anyway im gonna agree with jake the dad because the pups really needed more presence in the series. I did keep watching though. Also soul eater when i had to watch an entire episode of black star. I hate him so much. And Naruto with the exam episodes. It gets a prize for "Least happening per hour". I mean jesus everything drags for 10 years after that episode i was done.

Zachary Amaranth:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what "the point" of Doctor Who is.

And it seems to me you sat thruogh the Davies era of Doctor Who, so I don't know how you can talk about bad story arcs and bad female characters, considering we had four seasons of last-minute ass-pulls and Twilight: Breaking Doctor.

Chill out dude, it's only an opinion. I personally don't like the new doctor who, thats it.

The latest series' have been very americanised, abandoned established character traits with both the doctor and river song, and has generally been poor. That, in my mind, is contradicting 'the point' of doctor who. So the opposite of what I just said is what I want.

I was considerably less mature during the previous 'era' of doctor who, so maybe I just didnt notice. And if you've seen any of Moffats other stuff, he is god awful at writing female characters.

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

I have no idea what that image is supposed to be, but it looks a little too narrow to be anything humanoid like Bariss. And dual curved red lightsabers? Wasn't that Ventress' calling card? Though to be fair I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.

I'm just saying, you should at the very least check in to make sure that you weren't mistaken.

In yesterday's episode, Ventress was attacked by a hooded female force user, who stole her twin red sabers and her bounty hunter mask to attack Ahsoka. She is the same height, build and clothing as Barriss, and with Filoni's wording regarding "accepting who it is" (and the fact that the only other Female Jedi we've seen all have wonky looking heads) makes it very clear that Barriss is the culprit.

I couldn't make it through a single episode of Dr. Who (newest reboot). I dated a girl who convinced me to give it another try, and yet again, I was bored out of my mind.

I enjoyed Family Guy for years, even though it returned as a shadow of its former self. The last straw was an episode where Peter was starring in a children's show or something, and remarked something along the lines of "I'm a big star, I could sleep with any three year old I want."

It isn't that much of a departure from a lot of the other shock humor the show has employed, but it was enough to make me turn the episode off and never look back.

I never actually stopped watching Angel, because Buffy The Vampire Slayer inspired enough good will in me to forever finish watching any of Whedon's projects no matter how iffy they may get in parts, but the point where...

SPOILER!! Yes, I realize I'm talking about an ten or so year old show, but it's never too late to get into Whedon!

...they kill Fred really made me rethink finishing it. No, wait. They don't just kill Fred, they erase her very essence. Her soul is consumed in the fiery rebirth of a god demon thing.

This fucked up two important things for the show in my eyes. Number one, they killed off the last remaining regular female main character. The fuck, Whedon? The fuck? This guy gave us Buffy, which did such a good job of giving us multiple female perspectives throughout it's run. A nice change of pace at the time (and even now) from most other tv. Angel started off with Cordelia, who they did great with (and then completely ruined, actually that should've been my entry, what they did to Cordy actually did make me stop watching for like half a season) who was killed off, and then Fred too? From then on it was a sausage fest til the bitter end. Unless you count Illyria, but I really don't. Illyria's basically an alien in a lady's shell.

The second issue I've got with this is Wesley, this guy never got a fucking break. I'm all for tragedy in my storytelling but by this point I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity. If there's a god in Whedon's 'verse, he sure as shit never liked Wesley. Buffy (and latter Whedon works) do tragedy so well because it's often times juxtaposed by the lighthearted bits of character interaction. Now when's the last time Wesley's been happy? Oh yeah, the five whole minutes of being in a relationship with Fred before they proceed to kill her to death. Horribly. At that point it crossed the line from tragedy into comedy again for this guy. His life got just so goddamned unfortunate it got silly. He's like Gil from the Simpsons.

At least at the end of the show's run Wesley gets his heroes death and can finally rest in peace right?

Oh wait, nope. In the canonical comic book continuation it turns out that Wesley, having been an employee of the evil lawfirm Wolfram & Hart before he died, had his soul permanently employed with the company for the rest of time. Fucking awesome.

Sorry for the rant everybody! Had to get that off my chest. I feel better now.

Megalodon:

Tuesday Night Fever:
The final episode of Chuck kinda ruined the series as a whole for me, and I loved the series as a whole. I just don't think I'm ever going to be able to watch it again, knowing what happens at the end.

I gave up on that show part way thorugh series 3, "Chuck Verses the Other Guy". By the end of that epidose it looked like the entire plot of the show was resolved. This had already happened once before (end of series 2), I gave up on the writers ever allowing a satisfying plot resolution to stick, and so stopped watching.

Yeah, but that's not really the writers fault. Each time they did that, the show had been canceled and fan petitions brought it back. From the writers' perspectives, those were the finale(s).

It didn't make me quit the series (and boy was I right not to quit, season seven was the best yet), but the Dexter season six episode "Get Gellar" really pissed me off.

Season six as a whole felt like bad fanfiction, but this one episode was the worst piece of shit to come out of that show (yes, worse than all the useless Quinn storylines and the Angel/LaGuerta romance bullshit).

Soviet Heavy:

erttheking:

Soviet Heavy:

In yesterday's episode, Ventress was attacked by a hooded female force user, who stole her twin red sabers and her bounty hunter mask to attack Ahsoka. She is the same height, build and clothing as Barriss, and with Filoni's wording regarding "accepting who it is" (and the fact that the only other Female Jedi we've seen all have wonky looking heads) makes it very clear that Barriss is the culprit.

I don't watch Clone Wars, but I learned long time ago that in order to be a happy Star Wars fan you need to stop and create a cute little canon in your head where nothing but the first trilogy and some of the games exist and you be happier for it, because it can't hurt anymore then...

Kakulukia:
It didn't make me quit the series (and boy was I right not to quit, season seven was the best yet), but the Dexter season six episode "Get Gellar" really pissed me off.

Season six as a whole felt like bad fanfiction, but this one episode was the worst piece of shit to come out of that show (yes, worse than all the useless Quinn storylines and the Angel/LaGuerta romance bullshit).

Season 6 actually started well, but at then turn to shit rather quickly, that whole Deb is in love by Dexter is bad fanfiction as far as I concerned, not even the final 5 minutes are worth it.

Season 7 is smart in dismissing the Deus Ex Machina In Love bullshit needed to Deb discover that Dexter is a serial killer, give LaQuerta something to do and the mafia guy that was the villain of the season was rather cool. I actually like Season 7, finally started to moving the plot foward and is kinda happy in doing so, but I glad that Season 8 is the last.

Heroes, season 4.

I got into it for a couple of episodes, but it was just so awful I had to stop watching. I loved season 1, adored season 2 for its great villain, season 3 was good but worse than season 1, and season 4... no. Just no.

It was a shame, that show had it made for a while.

I can't remember the exact episode name, but once upon a time I was watching a show called "The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy". It was a pretty dark show, but I remember one day that I watched an episode where the main characters are mulling around some sort of abandoned amusement park or stadium or something, which is completely run by robots. Except for one guy, who acts as the mascot, and has been forced through every possible torture and humiliation imaginable while trapped by them. Long story short, the main characters leave... and promptly leave the guy behind with the robots. I was so disturbed and shocked by it that I just stopped watching the show entirely.

I suppose my decision to no longer watch Family Guy counts in a sense, as it was around the episode where Brian and Stewie get locked in a vault that I realized my mistake in liking the show. But really, it was more of a gradual process of admitting that the show just wasn't good and never was, rather than a short, sharp shock.

Diablo2000:

Kakulukia:

Season 6 actually started well, but at then turn to shit rather quickly, that whole Deb is in love by Dexter is bad fanfiction as far as I concerned, not even the final 5 minutes are worth it.

DEXTER NERD RAGE RANT INCOMING!

I really didn't like anything about season six. (Except Lieutenant Debs, which was awesome.)
The whole premise was 100% artificial; Dexter just so happens to start questioning religion before the serial killer du jour just so happens to be revealed as a religious maniac. Dexter's first victim just so happens to be a religious hypocrite, while Travis' first victim just so happens to have ties with Brother Sam the born again killer. Coincidences galore!

Then there's the aforementioned "plot twist", which almost everyone I know guessed over a month before it was revealed, making Dexter's spectacularly stupid behavior in regards to Travis even more painful to watch. Even worse, the entire second half of the Doomsday storyline is based on a gigantic plot hole:

One of the first rules of storytelling is: "If the only reason for something to happen is 'the story wouldn't work otherwise', it means your story stinks."

Ironically, the "Deb being in love with Dexter" bit that pissed off everybody is, to me, the least revolting thing this season did. And that makes season seven's resounding success even more impressive. Going from this brain fart of a story to the best thing to ever happen to a TV series ever with pretty much the same writing staff is incredible.

TL;DR: Fuck season six up its butt with a rusty sword.

Buzz Killington:

Mister Shades:
Andromeda season 3 finale.

There's a reason for that. The star, Kevin Sorbo, campaigned to get Robert Wolfe (the executive producer, head writer, and co-creator of the show, and an actual science fiction writer) fired because Sorbo thought the show was too complicated and needed more humor. Basically, he wanted Hercules in Space. By the time it was clear that the whole thing had been a huge mistake, the show was canceled.

Robert Hewitt Wolfe did Andromeda? Did every 90s/2000s Science Fiction show (barring Babylon 5) have a Star Trek writer behind them at one point? Ron Moore did BSG and Michael Taylor did BSG Blood and Chrome.

I quit watching True Blood around season four. My problems actually started way earlier, with season three. I thought that

But the thing that finally turned me off in season four was;

bastardofmelbourne:
I quit watching True Blood around season four. My problems actually started way earlier, with season three. I thought that

But the thing that finally turned me off in season four was;

i always figured edgington done what he done for exposure. he wanted to marry the queen to add authority to whatever plot he had then proceeded to murder the fuck out of whoever he wanted to to destroy the lilith worship and force a vampire revolt

as for the eric stuff yeah i'm with you there. i figure the writers were watching too much twilight but i always thought sookie was a bit of an airhead slut and a shit character anyway.
also if you keep watching you find bill isn't the saint you think he is and eric (while a bit of a dick) is still at least honest about who he is

The big bang theory, the episode starts with Howard saying: let's place some d&d. That's the joke.
Oh and I stopped watching the clone wars when they went into the giant triangle of stupid and met literal representations of the light and dark side(which I am not sure actually exists, isn't the working theory in the EU that it's all up to the user?), complete with plot convenience amnesia.

008Zulu:

verdant monkai:
Game of thrones: the one where Sean Bean dies. I was only there for Sean Bean when I saw his head on a spike I new it was time to leave.

Dude, it's Sean Bean. He has never survived to the end of anything he has been in.

I know, I have no idea why he feels the need to die all the time. To my knowledge the only things he has survived is Troy where he played Odysseuss, and the Silent hill. But his character dies in the Silent hill 3 game, and the upcoming film is basically silent hill 3, so I'm guessing he will wind up dead in that too.

I was watching quite sporadically anyway, but when

I gave up House, M.D. for good.

Phasmal:
I stopped watching Criminal Minds when it became `new ways to slit up pretty ladies`. Jeez, I know women are murdered more than men, but seriously...

Actually, men are more likely to be murdered than women by a sizeable margin.

verdant monkai:
But his character dies in the Silent hill 3 game, and the upcoming film is basically silent hill 3, so I'm guessing he will wind up dead in that too.

Upcoming film? It came out months ago. And it was shit.

lechat:
also if you keep watching you find bill isn't the saint you think he is and eric (while a bit of a dick) is still at least honest about who he is

I'm okay with the idea of Bill not being as good as he seems, but my problem is that the writers in the first two seasons sold me the idea that he was a good guy so earnestly and convincingly that it's kind of dumb for them to turn around and go "ha ha, he was a dick all along!"

I gave Heroes a pass in season 2 cause of the strike, but then they had the episode where Daddy Petrelli just comes back and offs Adam in 2 seconds for the evulz or something (As opposed to telegrabbing some other healing person of some sort. I don't think they ever bothered explaining how they knew where Hiro put him either. And if that didn't completely seal it, the hilariously goofy bit with Nathan's death would.

Lesse, the whole multi-parter with the black hole things in the 90s spiderman cartoon. About the dumbest workaround the "No Kill" rules that dominated cartoons at the time.

In other random media, the webcomic LFG I just dropped off entirely when it started putting entire pages referencing Occupy Wall Street or some other current affairs or meme of the month. You can make pop culture references in a comic for humor, sure, but derailing the storyline for an entire update to make a joke no one will even get in a few months, nevermind a year down the road with a book print is just lazy.

Soviet Heavy:

Although his first few episodes had been unwatchable (Spider Gollum Maul bullshit), they managed to do something interesting with his return by tying him into the Mandalorian plot, which had been floundering since season 3. The finale where Sidious murders Savage and beats Maul to a pulp was excellent.

But for god's sake, why turn Barriss into a terrorist bomber intent on framing her best friend for the atrocities!?

I see, hmm... And yeah, idk... They made a lot of decisions I didn't like very much. I tend to just ignore the stuff I didn't like though, so I've been able to enjoy many of the episodes. Another thing that got me was how Boba Fett was hanging out with Bossk, Dengar and Aurra Sing while he is still a boy. All of these are personalities he meets for the first time in the various books about him. That kind annoyed me, if your going to pull famous characters from the expanded universe the least you could do is use them right... I do not understand what business Bossk has standing up for and defending Boba. The kid certainly hasn't got any money to pay him...

Again, all stuff I pretend never happened and get on enjoying the Star Wars universe =p. I guess that's the thing about this sort of popular imaginary world, everyone experiences it slightly diferently so you'll end up pissing someone off regardless of what you do. Especially when the stuff you do are so astonishingly stupid... Midichlorians? Never heard about it...

Kakulukia:

Upcoming film? It came out months ago. And it was shit.

No film where Sean Bean lives can be shit (since he is Heathers Dad chances are he will still die in later films).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked