10.7% (65)
No
84% (510)
84% (510)
Other feeling (explain)
5.3% (32)
5.3% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you feel uncomfortable around people who are attracted to the same sex?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I used To have a fear of gay people when I was young I hated them and found them gross then when I was in care one of my careers was gay and he was a pretty cool dude and then i realized my grossness of them-the fear and hate had long since ended by that point- was dumb and that they where people too

Uhh, I'm a transgendered woman who is into women. It'd be idiotic and hypocritical of me to be more uncomfortable around homosexual people than heterosexual people.

In my previous life however, I did have a couple awkward moments when I was hit on by men. I was polite about it though, like anyone should be.

My brother is gay. Been hanging out with him most of my life.
All his boyfriends have been gay too (surprise!), never had a problem with any of them either.
Good people.

There was this baptist boy back in highschool who asked to be my friend. I accepted.
Nice guy, other than the fact that he hated gays and mentally handicapped people.
He wasn't outwardly hateful though; just on the inside. Kept it to himself mostly.
He made me kind of uncomfortable.

Also, everytime I leave the house with a hat on I get called a faggot.
Not 100% sure why. I guess hats are gay?

Childe:

Berithil:
If they started hitting on me, I would get a bit uncomfortable. But other than that, I wouldn't really care.

This. I have nothing against homosexuals but if they hit on me then there will be a problem

^ This on This.

I wouldn't care, but if they tried to pull anything I'm afraid I would react with anger. Can't help it, a bit homophobic. But I know most homosexuals are just like heterosexuals, i.e. they have their preferences and don't go around hitting on others all day lol (as the media tends to portray it badly like that).

Only way I could see myself being uncomfortable is if they started hitting on me. I'd just tell them I'm not into guys and that'd be that though so...

Yeah, not a big deal I guess.

One of my best friends is gay so no, of course not. When he first told me I was a bit uncomfortable when he talked about his relationships but now it doesn't bother me at all.

Read the title wrong and put yes, but I have no problem with it.

The only reason I've ever found to be uncomfortable around gay people is when they were being super inappropriately sexual for the situation. I would've had the same problem if it were straight people behaving that way, but I've never seen that under the same circumstances.

I have no idea. Never had a friend who was gay, or at least they never told me as much.

I would assume that I wouldn't be, unless they were "OMG LOOK AT HOW GAY I AM! AM I NOT JUST FABULOUS!"

Uncomfortable being around gay people? Nope.

But there are situations where I may be uncomfortable with what they're doing.

-When the talk turns to sex, I get uncomfortable. But that might just be the "I'm a virgin and extremely nervous about sex" part of me, because I get the same level of discomfort when hetero people talk about their sex too.

- When they -very- insistently tell me about how I should be doing my hair, my makeup, my outfits, because how it's going now is "sooooo not working". Pretty uncomfortable.

- When I would occasionally go to a gay bar with some class friends, one time a gay guy (a friend of a friend) came up to us, then hugged me and grabbed my butt, he seemed shocked when I looked pretty pissed because "Hey I'm gay, it's okay because there's nothing sexual about it!" (Yeah no, it's still not okay).
Those types of guys, whether drunk or just idiots, who I believe are a miniscule minority of the gay community (considering how my friends and the other people nearby in the bar were taking him to task over it), would make me really uncomfortable.

I get uncomfortable pretty easily :/

Not at all, I've had a few homosexual friends over the years. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

Well, no, but then I'm bi, so I don't really care, I find them attractive you know? :P

No, although I admit that I've only met 2 lesbians/bisexuals so far. I guess guys are under a bigger pressure when it comes to these things, I didn't have any problems with their sexuality. My mom had, she was afraid that I might be "influenced" but that's another level of stupid and prejudice I'm too lazy to disocuss

Not at all. A few years back, I can't say I would have been 100% certain simply due to lack of experience but one of my friends recently came out and I find that, if anything, our social interaction is better than it was before simply because he seems more comfortable with himself. I've also been around him and his boyfriend and haven't felt odd about any of it at all.

No, my best friend is a lesbian and I never feel uncomfortable when they're around. Although, I am a bit uncomfortable if I see two dudes just making out in public but I feel the same way about female/male PDA so I guess not when I really think about it.

Even been hit on by guys before. I take it as a compliment, just means even the same sex thinks I'm sexy :D

No, gays/lesbians/bis/whoever are just people so they why would they make me more uncomfortable than anyone else does?

The 'OMG, gay guy/girl is hitting on me' issue amuses me because to me it's no different to having anyone else you don't find attractive hitting on you... and the fucking carry on... jesus fuck, people... Imagine if everyone who rejected you made the same song and dance about it. Get over yourselves.

Meh, don't even care if I get hit on. I take it as a compliment, politely say no thanks, and move on.

Only problem I ever had was with one fellow (who appeared to be rather drunk), who kept going after I made it clear I wasn't interested, (and probably wouldn't have been even if I was bi/gay)

DugMachine:
I take it as a compliment, just means even the same sex thinks I'm sexy :D

If anyone ever comments on it to you, the best comeback is "My sexiness transcends all boundaries."

It would certainly make being bisexual hard.

Heh.

I have met homophobes before. I despise them. Fear of the unknown is no excuse to be a cunt. And no matter how you spin it, being homophobic makes you a cunt.

Captcha screwup = Double post.

Katatori-kun:
Yes, but not for the reasons you're probably thinking. My lack of contact with openly gay people is a result of the tiny midwestern town I come from where open homosexuality was scorned. I've had a few gay friends, but not many.

I have no illusions about my privilege giving me the ability to forget that not everyone has the sexual orientation that I take for granted. I am also well aware that my gay-dar is hilariously bad. It generally doesn't even occur to me that someone might be gay until they explicitly say so.[1] So the first time I find out someone is gay, I have this uncomfortable moment where I mentally backtrack through everything I've said around them and think to myself, "Oh my god, did I say anything offensive?" Not that I have a habit of saying things that should be offensive to homosexual people, but like I said, I know I'm pretty privileged and oblivious in this regard. Once we meet and get along for a couple of times I usually get past that discomfort and start seeing them as normal people.

It's something that I've been trying to work on, particularly when I consider the possibility that I may have homosexual students. Particularly since a large portion of my students are Muslim men from Saudi Arabia, they may be students who feel strong pressure to conceal their homosexuality. They may even say anti-gay things in order to put up an appearance of being straight.

Ahahaha, I love it when I tell a man that I am into men and I've seen them do that before. "I'm sorry I said fag" Well as long as your not being hateful towards gays its all cool. When a friend of mine calls someone a faggot I don't take offense to it because they probably didn't mean homosexual.

[1] It's even worse for lesbians. I've had an unfortunate tendency to find myself more attracted to quite a few women who are not interested in men without even realizing they might not be straight.

Homophobia and Racism are horribly insidious. I hate my upbringing because I was raised in Norfolk in the UK and I didn't even see a black person until I was 13.

I would be lying if I said they don't make me feel uncomfortable, but every time I do, I slap myself and tell myself to stop being an idiot, because there is nothing wrong with black or gay people.

I'm just glad I wasn't raised in the same way as my mother who grew up in South Africa during apartheid. She really hates racism, and doesn't like talking about living there because of it, but after a few conversations with my grandmother, I found out that on the plane to England, she cried because she had to sit next to a black man.

Solely based on their sexuality? Of course not.... then again i did't grow up any kind of culture that bore ill-will to people based on their sex or sexuality. I do feel uncomfortable around gay/bisexual people if their personality rubs me the wrong way. For instance, i used to work with a person who would, quite crudely but i lack other terms, be called rather "fruity?". A very, feminized young man who never did me any harm yet the way he moved, talked and behaved in general sort of crossed wires in my brain saying "watch out, he's not normal!". But, and goes to show that the whole thing about books and covers is true, that feeling never passed, upon explaining why i was less "sociable" with him then my other colleague's he simply understood, accepted it and we went on from their. The 'feeling' subsided slightly over time mind you, but funnily enough plenty of straight men, and woman, give me the same feeling. When their behavior is just to out of place for me to accept.

Any-hooooow, my 2 cents.

Come one, come all i' say. Just don't get drunk, kiss me in the middle of a freaking party and then go "oops... tee-hee"..... .... yeah........ that happened.

Chairman Miaow:
I found out that on the plane to England, she cried because she had to sit next to a black man.

I would have cried at being forced to go to England. :P

I only feel uncomfortable around really, really camp men. Because they're annoying, and don't seem to understand the concept of personal space. That said, I've met some incredibly camp straight men before, and they were just as irritating.

Absolutely not.

There are things I have trouble putting up with, such as pee games inbetween courses at posh restaurants, smearing poop all over the walls of the residence during prolonged sex and drugs and rock n roll sessions or turning the own home into a caveman drug den. As long as things are civil, we get along just fine.

Adultism:

Katatori-kun:
Yes, but not for the reasons you're probably thinking. My lack of contact with openly gay people is a result of the tiny midwestern town I come from where open homosexuality was scorned. I've had a few gay friends, but not many.

I have no illusions about my privilege giving me the ability to forget that not everyone has the sexual orientation that I take for granted. I am also well aware that my gay-dar is hilariously bad. It generally doesn't even occur to me that someone might be gay until they explicitly say so.[1] So the first time I find out someone is gay, I have this uncomfortable moment where I mentally backtrack through everything I've said around them and think to myself, "Oh my god, did I say anything offensive?" Not that I have a habit of saying things that should be offensive to homosexual people, but like I said, I know I'm pretty privileged and oblivious in this regard. Once we meet and get along for a couple of times I usually get past that discomfort and start seeing them as normal people.

It's something that I've been trying to work on, particularly when I consider the possibility that I may have homosexual students. Particularly since a large portion of my students are Muslim men from Saudi Arabia, they may be students who feel strong pressure to conceal their homosexuality. They may even say anti-gay things in order to put up an appearance of being straight.

Ahahaha, I love it when I tell a man that I am into men and I've seen them do that before. "I'm sorry I said fag" Well as long as your not being hateful towards gays its all cool. When a friend of mine calls someone a faggot I don't take offense to it because they probably didn't mean homosexual.

Just to be clear, I've never in my life used the word "faggot" and I never use "gay" as a general negative criticism (i.e.: "That is so gay.") What I check back for is less blatantly offensive language and more just privilege. Saying things that assume that the person I'm speaking to is straight.

[1] It's even worse for lesbians. I've had an unfortunate tendency to find myself more attracted to quite a few women who are not interested in men without even realizing they might not be straight.

I am a Christian who adheres to my religion's views regarding homosexuality.

This does not bother either of my two gay friends or my cousin, because my beliefs "aren't personal". All of us are good people who get along well, and though I oppose gay marriage, I would be insulted if any of them traveled somewhere to get married to their significant others and didn't invite me to the happiest day of their lives. Why? Because that day would be about them - not my beliefs, which are for me.

Having said that, there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. We should all be tolerant of each other, and telling someone off because of their sexual preference is uncouth and unfortunate. Acceptance, however, is not something that can be forced on anyone, nor should it.

It is wrong for me to try to force someone to accept my beliefs, just as it is wrong for someone else to try to force their beliefs upon me. Reasonable people have room for agreeing to disagree, and if someone lets sexual orientation get in the way of getting to know someone, they're the ones losing out. That doesn't mean they're a bad person, they simply have a boundary condition that limits them.

Only around 1 guy. He gets off on making other dudes uncomfortable and being VERY suggestive. Around others I don't feel comfortable mainly because they aren't hitting on me and I don't feel pretty :(

I'm going to be honest here and say I don't know. I only know one gay person, while I am uncomfortable with him that has more to do with his personality than anything else. Something about him rubs me the wrong way, but that was the case before I knew he was gay.

Now somewhat related I am uncomfortable around people whom I think might be attracted to me regardless of who they are. If I believed a gay guy was attracted to me then I guess I would be uncomfortable, but then again I would be if a hot girl was attracted to me.

Vault101:

shrekfan246:

But... but... what about TEH GAY? I can't be catching that from some homosexual guy!

youve already caught "teh gay" its in the drinking water (government conspiricy to lower population) all it takes is a trigger....like playing Mass Effect 3 and having Kaiden/steve hit on you

you cant fight it

Aha, fool!
I don't drink water, I drink PEPSI!

I swear I pee the stuff.

OT:
Now back onto topic.

No, I don't feel uncomfortable around them.
Hell a guy could tell me that he thinks I'm hot and I'll tell him I'm flattered but I don't swing that way.

Though when it comes to physical contact ... like for example.
I wouldn't want another guy to touch my butt or kiss me ... then I get uncomfortable.

So no ... I have no problem, well unless they go too far.
And hey, I'm Christian ... see, not all of us are bad. Look at my badges, do something evil and I'll cut off you limbs and ...
Too much information, huh?

I feel the same way around gay men and women that I feel around straight women who I have no plans to schtupp.

Only if I suspect they're attracted to me (and no I don't assume every bi/lesbian on the planet is trying to get in my pants). Then again I'd be just as uncomfortable if a straight man I wasn't attracted to acted that way. So I guess the answer is no. Why must the line between being friendly and flirting vary from person to person >_<.

I don't have a problem being around gay/bi-sexual people. Seeing that I've dated women and men, it would be hypocritical of me to do so. By the way I don't consider myself gay or bi-sexual even though I dated the same sex as me, I don't know what I'd describe it as.

I don't have a problem hanging around gay guys. I have some gay/bisexual friends. The only problem I have is when a gay guy starts telling me of all their sexual exploits, and even then, it makes me uncomfortable when straight people do that too. I don't have a problem when they say they met a guy/girl or whatever, but when they start describing their bedroom antics in detail, I get upset. Keep your sexcapades to yourself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here