Do you do things that would make you feel ashamed or embarassed in front of people?
No. I do these things freely. I dont care about how other people think or react about those things.
4.4% (4)
4.4% (4)
Yes. Therefore, I only do those things secretly so nobody would catch me doing it.
65.6% (59)
65.6% (59)
Usually I try to find an empty place to do these things. If not, then I just do it quickly(even if Im near other people) so they'll be too late to notice.
22.2% (20)
22.2% (20)
Ohohohohoho.
6.7% (6)
6.7% (6)
I do it in front of other people, and absorb all the laughs and insults I receive. I dont care. Let them think and say whatever they want.
1.1% (1)
1.1% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you do certain things that'd make you feel embarassed if you'd do them in front of other people?

Personally, there are certain things I do like nose picking, scratching intimate areas in my body(such as the butt and testicles), and stretching(yes, although thats not actually a bad thing at all). People usually laugh at me or feel disgusted when they catch me doing those things.

So guys. What about you eh guys?

The great and epic saga of Bamba's information gathering quest of the Escapist members continue in full steam, conquering all in its path.

As for the OP, yeah a few things. Not necessarily bad things, but stuff I keep to myself all the same.

I'm a master at sneak picking my nose.....

Apart from that? Nothing really.

I do, think, and say the most absurd things imaginable when nobody's around to see me or hear me. Something I wish people would have understood when I was in grade school, though, is that I don't care if anybody pays attention to the stupid shit that I do, provided I'm still given carte blanche to do it.

You mean to suggest that there are people who don't scratch their balls when nobody is around?

Madness.

Whenever I briskly walk down the hall to the bathroom in my house I pretend to take out a bunch of goons along the way with a silenced pistol...making the pfft, pfft noises. I'm in my late 20's and its awesome.

Sing, air drum.
It's a compulsion and I HATE when it slips around people I don't know.

I really like doing things without other people watching me. It's not that I'm afraid they'll judge me or anything, I just like having things for myself that I don't have to share with anybody else. I can sing, dance, make jokes only I'll get, laugh really hard, leave things unfinished and then come back whenever I want to, and a myriad more things. I like being a private person, it's good for the soul.

No, I don't think so. I don't like people watching me at all really, so if I'm out in public I tend to try to go unnoticed and just act as normal as possible.

When I have kids though, all bets are off. I remember when my brother was just a little kid, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want if you have a kid with you. You can skip down the street singing `Wheels on the bus` if you're with a kid and nobody will look twice.

Phasmal:
When I have kids though, all bets are off. I remember when my brother was just a little kid, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want if you have a kid with you. You can skip down the street singing `Wheels on the bus` if you're with a kid and nobody will look twice.

Heh, awesome, I'll have to remember that one.

Well, being female, I try to keep prim and proper.
Seeing other people being open about stuff like that in public makes me question their upbringing more than anything....

I occasionally practice kicks, blocks or punches on the kilometer long walk home, usually something we've done at practice, it does happen that this coincides with cars passing, and occasionally one of my bewildered neighbours will spot me, whereupon i pretend to do a dance move or play air drums/guitarrs.

Back when i lived in a pretty queit neighborhood a couple of my friends (undoubtebly inspired by the eponymous cinema "Fight club") decided to start fighting, they'd go out into the high-rise yard, start fighting and wrestling, and keep going until one tapped out, once they kept wrestling, and rolling, and grappling. Straight onto a road. Whereupon a car stopped right in front of them and two friends of their family got out, simply asking "'verything allright there lads?". The friends got up, brushed themselves off, and said they were just having a friendly tussle.
"aye, is that what they call it now?" the elderly gentlemen got into his car and drove off at a high speed, and the improptu 'rassling ceased shortly thereafter.

I try and find a hidden place to fix wedgies and bra straps, but sometime (usually just the bra straps) I do it in front of others. Usually when I have to rearrange the girls I'll turn around or walk away as you have to stick your hands down your shirt and guys tend to get weird when you're fondling yourself.

Sometimes if I'm alone in the house I'll do walk-dancing as I do things or test out comebacks and facial expressions for things that might come up. However, I never get any alone time at home anymore and now I realise I haven't been able to do a little dance in months, so I think I'll break out my mp3 player (if it still works) and go shelve books in the rare book vault today and dance... and possibly sing a bit.

People are always watching; your revolting, supturating, meatbag with all its horrifying gasses never goes unnoticed.

I remember one time I was in diner on a hot day and this bloke was scratching his balls. Really giving them a jolly good going over. Then he took his hand out of his trousers, sniffed it, then wiped it on the window leaving a slimy residue.

Evertyhing in life is now ruined.

I don't really want to masturbate in front of people...
That might be rather embarrassing.

I also poop from time to time, doing that for an audience would also embarrass me to a degree.

So there are things...

Unless I am in front of co-workers I'll fart openly and proudly. I also have a bad nose picking habit that I hide from everyone around me >.>

Well, me and my girlfriend dont like kissing in public......or in front of our parents. If we do, it will be just a quick kiss on the cheek (and in front of our parents, not at all). There was only one time that we did a "true" kiss in public. It was our first valentines day as a couple, and I got her a teddy bear and handwritten note (in responce to one she made me), and she just grabbed me by the collar, in front of our friends and the school during breakfast, and said "I know we arent supposed to do this, but....*kiss on lips*" Then we both start blusing dark red (her more so) and our friends just start laughing and saying things like "WOW you two."

In addition to the above, I sometimes "sleep" with my girlfi......NO!! Stop!! You! Yes, you! You thinking that when I say I "sleep" with my girlfriend, that has a sexual meaning, because its not true. What I mean is more literal. We will lie down in my bed, look at my I-pad, and then sometimes just start cuddling and fall asleep in eachothers arms (although, its more like a nap than sleeping). And while we love doing that, and she has even started cuddling my arms and using them as a pillow, we dont do that unless we are home alone because we are afraid that our parents will think we are "sleeping" in a sexual way (dispite the fact we are both fully clothed except shoes when we do that).

I also act out what I see in my head sometimes. I close my eyes, and will start subconsiously making sound effects like machine guns, and jets flying, and artillery, etc. Sometimes my head starts shaking along with that as if I am firing a gun, or move my head as if I am in a jet. However, people will usually just be like "Hey, are you ok?" and then I just open my eyes and say "What?? Oh yeah. I was just thinking." In addition to this, I sometimes act out like I am firing guns, but I am very good at keeping that to myself to avoid doing it in public, because that might freak some people out.

my vessel is a human. it lives and breathes. i am deeply ashamed of this, and i try to avoid human exposure as much as possible to minimize how much i offend them with my foul presence.

I was picking my nose as I opened this thread.

I think I'm fine admitting it to people. Explicitly doing it infront of people with or without previously telling them may be something I avoid.

Lots of things. Its the more autonomous ones that I worry over, like speaking to myself or muttering under my breath. Been quite a few times in the office for example where I've had co-workers burst out laughing because I've said exactly what Im thinking under my breath after having to deal with someone.

Anyone who's ever air guitarred in their lives is guilty of this. Or pretty much any spontaneous physical action music might make you do, i.e. air drumming, starting to lipsynch the lyrics, headbanging etc.

Remind me never to shake any of you peoples hands .

OT: Not really . I'm very clean in public and alone . I don't pick my nose , or scratch my balls , or sneese on my hands . I will however have sex in public with other people watching ( not on the street but i have done it outdoors ) . So yeah .

Yes. For example, farting loudly (as opposed to letting it slowly so it makes little to no sound), humming or singing songs, masturbating...

However, I do shit in front of other people. It's human nature.

I headbang and sing along with the music I listen to (with dedication). So yeah, I don't like doing this in public.

IndomitableSam:
I try and find a hidden place to fix wedgies and bra straps, but sometime (usually just the bra straps) I do it in front of others. Usually when I have to rearrange the girls I'll turn around or walk away as you have to stick your hands down your shirt and guys tend to get weird when you're fondling yourself.

The worst is when the underwire of your bra breaks through the material and you have to keep pushing it into place so that it isn't stabbing you.

OP: The only thing I can think of is that I like to pick at my toenails when I'm alone. I know it's gross and I hate when other people do it so I only do it when I'm watching tv by myself.

Relish in Chaos:
Yes. For example, farting loudly (as opposed to letting it slowly so it makes little to no sound), humming or singing songs, masturbating...

However, I do shit in front of other people. It's human nature.

You shit in front of other people?

piinyouri:
Sing, air drum.

I air guitar like a mofo when one of my favorite songs is playing.

Bamba:
So guys. What about you eh guys?

Aren't options 1 and 5 pretty much the same thing? I mean:
"No. I do these things freely. I dont care about how other people think or react about those things."
and
"I do it in front of other people, and absorb all the laughs and insults I receive. I dont care. Let them think and say whatever they want."
pretty much the same thing?

Also... why are you asking all these strange questions? It's like you're... trying to learn about us. Study us.

... are you a Jeweler?

Fifty Internet Points to the first person who correctly gets that joke.

Colour-Scientist:

IndomitableSam:

The worst is when the underwire of your bra breaks through the material and you have to keep pushing it into place so that it isn't stabbing you.

OP: The only thing I can think of is that I like to pick at my toenails when I'm alone. I know it's gross and I hate when other people do it so I only do it when I'm watching tv by myself.

Underwire drives me mad. I've found a good style bra and haven't had the underwire break through it yet, thought I did have to put one in my junk bra pile because it's just about to. Took like 8 months, though, so that's pretty good.

I also do my toes a lot. When my sister and I were babies, my mom didn't start cutting our nails straight across, she went rounded, into the corners of the toes, and that's caused a lifetime of toe issues. Yay unwanted information.

I also have the chicken/alligator skin some people have (it goes away at puberty for most people, I am not one of the lucky ones) - little red bumps along your arms and legs, so I scratch at them a lot, all the damn time. I can imagine it's gross to watch someone idly scratching at their arms and little spots of blood popping up because it's actually just clogged pores along your skin.

IndomitableSam:

Colour-Scientist:

IndomitableSam:

Underwire drives me mad. I've found a good style bra and haven't had the underwire break through it yet, thought I did have to put one in my junk bra pile because it's just about to. Took like 8 months, though, so that's pretty good.

I also do my toes a lot. When my sister and I were babies, my mom didn't start cutting our nails straight across, she went rounded, into the corners of the toes, and that's caused a lifetime of toe issues. Yay unwanted information.

I also have the chicken/alligator skin some people have (it goes away at puberty for most people, I am not one of the lucky ones) - little red bumps along your arms and legs, so I scratch at them a lot, all the damn time. I can imagine it's gross to watch someone idly scratching at their arms and little spots of blood popping up because it's actually just clogged pores along your skin.

I have that on my upper arms but I never scratch it. It used to bother me a lot more, I think I went about 5 years without wearing short sleeves in public. It doesn't bother me so much anymore but I still don't rush out the door in vests.

piinyouri:
Sing, air drum.

Just quoted you to say I hate that chick in your avatar and her rich arrogance.

OT: I only sing when nobody is around so sadly nobody gets to hear my beautiful voice.

IndomitableSam:

Sometimes if I'm alone in the house I'll do walk-dancing as I do things or test out comebacks and facial expressions for things that might come up. However, I never get any alone time at home anymore and now I realise I haven't been able to do a little dance in months, so I think I'll break out my mp3 player (if it still works) and go shelve books in the rare book vault today and dance... and possibly sing a bit.

Tell me more of this rare book vault.

OT: I read the title as "Do you masturbate?" and had a rather jolly time reading through the options.
I suppose other than the really obvious things I'm not really aware of things I would not do in public.

Even though putting my glasses on and taking them off repeatedly to see how blurry far off things are probably makes me look a bit weird.

Well I do masturbate on occasion.
So yeah, I would feel pretty damn embarrassed if I did that in public.

kickassfrog:
Tell me more of this rare book vault.

OT: I read the title as "Do you masturbate?" and had a rather jolly time reading through the options.
I suppose other than the really obvious things I'm not really aware of things I would not do in public.

Even though putting my glasses on and taking them off repeatedly to see how blurry far off things are probably makes me look a bit weird.

I work at my provincial government's library. My main job is ordering/handling/maintaining new books and periodicals, but we try and keep everything printed in the province in perpetuity. Which means we have a ton of old stuff. We keep the oldest/rarest/most expensive/etc stuff in there to keep them preserved (temperature/humidity control, etc). I monitor the conditions and work in there sometimes, and I'd had a lot of shelving piling up, so I went in this morning and went through the materials and put it away, sorted some, etc.

Being a Librarian/Library Technician is a great job... if you can find the work. It's very competitive, as everyone is (obviously) quite smart, educated, and skilled. I got lucky and got a job at a prestigious private school right after graduation and it's probably what got me this job over all the other candidates. I have many classmates (we graduated in 2009) who still can't even find full time work, so it's really rough.

I get to work with books from the 1800's and very rarely a bit earlier, so that's really interesting, but most of my job is regular desk work with some reference. I'd go back to a school in an instant if I could get the same pay, vacation and pension as a government job. I really miss working with kids and teens.

BOOM headshot65:
*snip*

Reading stuff like that makes me want a girlfriend again. For some reason, that made me feel happy.

I sing a lot. In the car, in my room, in my head. It'd be embarrassing if someone else heard though, because my singing voice is terrible. Always off key, an octave too low or too high. Coupled with the fact I have an Australian accent, if I don't change it while singing, it sounds like a cat trying to strangle itself.
I also tend to not think or listen while I'm speaking. That's right, not before speaking, while I'm speaking. That leads me to change subjects mid-sentence making what I said confusing. It doesn't happen often, but I've done it enough that my cousins have noticed. Since my job is phone-based customer service, I hope I never do it at work.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here