Testing Spell Check

I'll admit, I'm rather horrible at spelling. I've noticed a lot lately, I'll type something and it doesn't look right, so I'll just randomly hit a bunch of keys (for example: zsrted) to test if spell check is actually working or not. Made me wonder if anyone else does that (or how common it is with people), or any other weird things people do like that?

No, not really. I think I rely too much on spell check, as I might not notice if the red squiggly line is not there. OK, I would notice if I go back and read through what I've written but with spell checking that's not a huge necessity.

I'm english and therefore speak using english english. Unfortunately spell check speaks in american english and so tries to change half my words. Colour/color, guess which one has the red line under it -.-

Tom_green_day:
I'm english and therefore speak using english english. Unfortunately spell check speaks in american english and so tries to change half my words. Colour/color, guess which one has the red line under it -.-

You can change that, you know - I'm getting "color" underlined at the moment, for example. If you're on Firefox, right click the text field, then just under Check Spelling there is a menu where you can choose and add languages.

Being quite shockingly bad at spelling my self, I do the same thing too OP, it's really annoying when the spell check is not working.

One thing I have noticed though is sometimes the spell checker is unable to find a match for the word I have hilariously miss spelt no matter how many variations I try. In cases such as that I find that Google search is amazing for it's ability to recognise even the worst attempts. Really it's like magic sometimes.

I do abuse spell check while typing, mostly for typing errors although I forget how to spell words once in a while.

i used to be a great speller but thx to firefox i pretty much just mash the keyboard then go back and correct all the squiggles

I frequently have to do the same. At work, Outlook sometimes fails to spell check due to all the foreign names in our emails. Presumably, it's just giving up and not bothering to check how I spell anything else. It's quite frustrating.

Watt? I've nether had ennui problems whiff spill chuckers caws I nether sea ennui little read lines under the words. I guess I mass just bee grate at spilling. Know, weather the spill chucker just doesn't work is a diff runt mutter.

EDIT: Damn, "chuckers" comes back as a spelling error in Word 2010. Bah.

I tend to type really fast, so a few mistakes come up often, but I spell check em and that solves the problem.

My spelling isn't so bad that spell check hasn't been able to figure out.

Except definitely, I always forget the "e" when typing it fast.

I very very rarely utilize spell check. It would have to be a pretty obscure word that I was unsure of the spelling of.

TizzytheTormentor:
I tend to type really fast, so a dew mistakes come up often, but I spell check em and that solves the proble.

Must... not... make... snarky... comment...

OT: I rarely rely on it. I tend to notice my mistakes before I'm even done typing the word (yay for being a low-speed typist!)

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:
I tend to type really fast, so a dew mistakes come up often, but I spell check em and that solves the proble.

Shh, you saw nothing...

Also, "Snarky" isn't considered a word by spell check, eat that!

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

Shh, you saw nothing...

That just proves how limited spell-check is. It doesn't think half the words on my desktop are valid either, but they're all spelled right!

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

Shh, you saw nothing...

That just proves how limited spell-check is. It doesn't think half the words on my desktop are valid either, but they're all spelled right!

I thought I told you to be quiet *grabs blunt instrument*

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

Shh, you saw nothing...

Oh sh-

Hey look! Your post has bad kerning! <flees>

I can never remember whether the "i" or the "e" comes first, leading to me always misspelling friend as freind or some other examples. Also "little" and "answer" just never looked right to me.

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

Oh sh-

Spell check don't recognize no "kerning" Time to teach you not to mess with spell check! *chases*

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh sh-

Spell check don't recognize no "kerning" Time to teach you not to mess with spell check! *chases*

Clearly, your precious spell check doesn't recognize correct grammar and punctuation, either! <vanishes in a puff of win>

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

Oh sh-

Clearly, your precious spell check doesn't recognize correct grammar and punctuation, either! <vanishes in a puff of win>

CURSE YOU! You better hope I don't find out where you live!

*checks profile*

Next to Bioware huh? Time for a roadtrip!

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

*checks profile*

That awkward moment when I wake up and see all the houses near Bioware exploded in a pattern that reads "WHERE IS YOUR SPELL CHECK HERESY NOW?"

I might have to ask the mods to ban you if you do that.

Just a heads up!

lacktheknack:

TizzytheTormentor:

lacktheknack:

*checks profile*

That awkward moment when I wake up and see all the houses near Bioware exploded in a pattern that reads "WHERE IS YOUR SPELL CHECK HERESY NOW?"

I might have to ask the mods to ban you if you do that.

Just a heads up!

The mods won't protect you from spell checks wrath!

Tom_green_day:

I laugh at my browser for correcting the word colour. No, sir, I am not stupid enough to skip that mandatory u in the middle.

OT: I do that sometimes, but most of the time I think of the possibility that I am using the wrong word. Though and tough are both correct spellings, but one of them is bound to look wrong if used incorrectly tough (yeah, that one was intentional).

English isn't my native language so I always blame that when someone points out that my grammar or spelling sucks. Yay for being a filthy foreigner come to steal good American jobs like toilet cleaning... yeah... I'm lying again...

uzo:
Watt? I've nether had ennui problems whiff spill chuckers caws I nether sea ennui little read lines under the words. I guess I mass just bee grate at spilling. Know, weather the spill chucker just doesn't work is a diff runt mutter.

EDIT: Damn, "chuckers" comes back as a spelling error in Word 2010. Bah.

What you did there , i see it .

OT : Problems with the spell checker , i have none . Paranoid about writting a word wrong , i am not . Drunk while posting on the escapist, i am often . Caught by the grammar nazis , i am always .

Bros , come at me .

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked