2.7% (7)
2.7% (7)
Maybe
12.1% (31)
12.1% (31)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Prequels; Can they be good?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Was watching a video on the recent slew of reboots and prequels and it the question came up, 'Can a prequel be as good or better that the original?'. Only ones I can think of are in games Deus Ex: Human Revolution and in movies X-men 1st Class.
Story wise a lot is already known so a lot of suspense is lost, any character development from the original is lost, and they are often done after the original story is over and the creative drive is puttering out, but the dead horse is flogged due to directives from above.
Any other examples of good prequels or comments?

Devil May Cry 3 is considered the best game in the franchise in both story and gameplay.

Prequels work if they expand the universe of a videogame:

- Halo Reach and Halo ODST work pretty well as prequels because they really place the plot of the story into a greater context.

Prequels don't work if they just sit down and explain every little thing that happened in the game.

Of course. The quality of a game is enhanced by story, but rarely driven by it.

But even if that weren't true, the enjoyment of a story comes from the storytelling. Personally I think suspense is overrated. Why else would people replay / reread /rewatch?

It's the storytelling that makes it enjoyable.

I thought Prometheus was a decent movie, for a prequel, if only lacking in horror.

Daystar Clarion:
Devil May Cry 3 is considered the best game in the franchise in both story and gameplay.

Also Metal Gear Solid 3.

So it seems like this is kind of a silly question.

Hell, for people who haven't played a game yet but were interested in it at some point, I imagine sequels ruin it more than prequels because if they're focused on the same main character then you already know right off the bat how the story of the first game is going to end.

Not that a whole lot of games end with a definitive "your character is dead/retired"...

+1 to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Fate/Zero would be a fairly good anime example, I'd have thought. Admittedly I haven't seen much of the original, but taken on it's own merits it certainly holds up pretty well.
The prequel segments of The Godfather Part II also hardly drag the film down.

Really, there's very little inherent about prequels that make them any better or worse than sequels. The only real difference I can think of is that while sequels can fall into the trap of 'everything must be bigger!' some prequels make the mistake of trying to foreshadow/expand on too many elements of the original.

Well it's a pointless question. Any story can be good if handled properly, regardless of whether or not it's a prequel.

dunam:

But even if that weren't true, the enjoyment of a story comes from the storytelling. Personally I think suspense is overrated. Why else would people replay / reread /rewatch?

It's the storytelling that makes it enjoyable.

To an extent, but then the best stories are able to be suspenseful even on repeat plays/reads/watches.

Yes. I do believe prequels can be good. In strictly answering the question asked in the poll, yes. There is nothing about a prequel that inherently makes it "bad." If the story or characters are "bad," that is a different story. But, just being a prequel doesn't immediately put it into the "bad" camp.

To give an example, Halo: Fall of Reach is my favorite book in the series. Also, as someone has said before, X-Men: First Class was fantastic.

Year of the Black Rainbow was great(even if you don't like the album, the novel was awesome)
Same can be said of The Afterman for both parts
Birth by Sleep was the best handheld Kingdom Hearts game and one I'd put up with 1 and 2
Fuck, how has no one mentioned this, but ANY Legend of Zelda game
Deus Ex: Human Relations Department was great
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King was an amazing book
And I haven't seen many other prequels, so I can't continue this list, but there are good prequels out there.

I find sequels to be more disappointing.
I was just talking about how there was that one episode of Sailor Moon when all the girls were older and married.
It was quite horrible...
But Sailor V is awesome.

Can be, but generally aren't.

OTOH, though, how many sequels are dreadful? A prequel is going to be riskier than one of those as it is.

While the Star Wars Prequel trilogy is rightly looked upon as being not-as-good as the original trilogy, the canonical prequel to that, Knights of the Old Republic and Sith Lords had far superior plot lines in my opinion. I like the Darth Bane plot line but there are no games based around him that I'm aware of, just a trilogy of books and a graphic novel.

Someone mentioned Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I would agree but the only other Deus Ex title I've ever played was Invisible War which is considered the worst in the series.

Someone else mentioned Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and while I don't like it as much as the PS2 original I did enjoy it more than any of the other hand-held titles I've played.

I'm sure somebody has mentioned this already but Reach is my favorite entry in the Halo franchise. No flood and the armor customization you use in multiplayer also applies to single-player. The lack of bosses is kind of lame though but Halo has never been known for its boss fights despite it's attempt in Halo 2...

Crisis Core. Crisis Core is probably my all time favorite prequel game.

Hell yeah they can. I've read plenty of books that have prequels, and it worked well.
So long as the story and overall fictional world doesn't start to have serious plot holes because of it.

Dragonriders of Pern. That's a good example of a book series with decent prequels.

Shoggoth2588:
Crisis Core. Crisis Core is probably my all time favorite prequel game.

My god it was a worthy prequel.
Rates highly in my favorite Final Fantasy games list too.
Solid evidence that a prequel can best good.

It depends, mostly, in my opinion, in HOW the "first" game ended. If the ending was an absolute closure,as in "the hero is now 100% dead", I think it's ok to go with a prequel as long as it captures the mood of the original game. However, most prequels turn out to look like a lazy job story-wise... I'm not a fan of prequels anywhere, games, books or movies, with very rare exceptions.
As someone else posted, sometimes we get prequels that actually set themselves on the universe and not directly on the story of original game, those do turn out to be the best choice. BUT I can't see them as prequels, because in this case, even if they are set BEFORE the events of the original game, we're not keeping up with the already established character, which breaks the continuity enough to also break the prequel curse

I dislike prequels because they have the tendency to buttfuck the already established canon. For example there's an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars where Anakin and a team of others try and infiltrate a prison for Jedi by freezing themselves in carbonite which suddenly throws Vader's actions in Empire Strikes Back into question. Why would he need to test the process on Han if he already knew it'd work?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution instantly came to mind as a prequel that respects the original, and does its own story and gameplay elements really well. Art style, characters and locations were all original and interesting, and the premise and lore is expanded in a realistic way to tie it back to the previous games without copying and pasting anything.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Metal Gear Solid 3
Devil May Cry 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

These are prequels, and they are awesome.

Isn't the Metroid Prime series technically a prequel to Super Metroid?

Not sure if it counts as a prequel, due to it not being the first in the series.
That would be Metroid Zero Mission, but it is set before the older Super Metroid.

And metroid Prime is awesome.

Hugh Wright:
Was watching a video on the recent slew of reboots and prequels and it the question came up, 'Can a prequel be as good or better that the original?'. Only ones I can think of are in games Deus Ex: Human Revolution and in movies X-men 1st Class.
Story wise a lot is already known so a lot of suspense is lost, any character development from the original is lost, and they are often done after the original story is over and the creative drive is puttering out, but the dead horse is flogged due to directives from above.
Any other examples of good prequels or comments?

Lets see...

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was a prequel to the entire series up to that point (including the original Metal Gear games). It is by far one of, if not the, best in the series.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep was a brilliant game (although not my favorite, mainly due to the repetitive nature of the world order), but it had one of the best stories in its series thus far. Plus the game made you end up caring greatly for its heroes. (Aqua <3)

Then there is the more recent Deux Ex: Human Revolution. While not a perfect game, it was still a great Deux Ex game and very fun.

So yes. There can be a lot of fun and great prequels. You just got to know where to look!

canadamus_prime:
I dislike prequels because they have the tendency to buttfuck the already established canon. For example there's an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars where Anakin and a team of others try and infiltrate a prison for Jedi by freezing themselves in carbonite which suddenly throws Vader's actions in Empire Strikes Back into question. Why would he need to test the process on Han if he already knew it'd work?

Stress induced, very specific amnesia? Could be where he got the idea. Or it could just be stupid unthinking writers.

Given that Metal Gear Solid 3 is easily the best game in the series, yes prequels can be good. Just as long as the don't destroy the canon of the series (see above).

They can be, but usually aren't.

The issue with most prequels is that they focus too much on saying 'Hey look at what's going to happen! You know what this is going to do right? OOOH, boy oh boy! Look a person from the other movie! OOOH a shot you see in that one too!'

Pretty much they focus to much on the fact that the other story comes after and not enough on their own story.

The Hobbit (book) is a good example of a prequel. It doesn't need you to have read Lord of the Rings and vice versa. It's its own (well done) story.

While the Star Wars prequels were basically all pointing toward the original trilogy the entire time and seemed so focused on that that they forgot that they needed their own story, so what came out was a sub-par story with sub-par characters.

klaynexas3:

Birth by Sleep was the best handheld Kingdom Hearts game and one I'd put up with 1 and 2

Look at what you have done! You made her cry! Go back to your corner.

kailus13:

canadamus_prime:

Stress induced, very specific amnesia? Could be where he got the idea. Or it could just be stupid unthinking writers.

Given that Metal Gear Solid 3 is easily the best game in the series, yes prequels can be good. Just as long as the don't destroy the canon of the series (see above).

Regardless, I'm thinking it's stupid unthinking writers. You'd think most writers would hate writing prequels, but I'm guessing from my example than many just don't care and do whatever they want anyway.

Obviously. Movie tie-in games can be good to, but I guess the key word is CAN. Why they generally seem to be poor may be a more interesting discussion =p.

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (GBA 2003) is technically the prequel to Fire emblem: sword of seals (GBA 2002 JP-only). It's better because it polishes a lot of the shit of off SoS, which was a pretty mediocre game.

Of course prequels can be good, several examples of which have already been mentioned.

They're stories like any other.

acillies45:

The Hobbit (book) is a good example of a prequel. It doesn't need you to have read Lord of the Rings and vice versa. It's its own (well done) story.

The Hobbit was written several years before the Lord of the Rings which actually makes it The Hobbit's sequel. Prequels are generally written afterwards aren't they?

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Fire Emblem: rekka no ken which is a prequel that introduced Fire Emblem to the west.

EDIT: somebody Has mentioned it yay! I dare say that the videogame industry has a vast number of good prequels as apposed to other forms of media.

King Billi:
Prequels are generally written afterwards aren't they?

Yeah, that's sort of the definition. You don't call A New Hope a prequel because The Empire Strikes Back exists.

Uh Metal Gear Soli...

shrekfan246:

Also Metal Gear Solid 3.

Darn.

But yeah, I'd say that's a pretty darn good example of a prequel being good.

Is this a question? Of course prequels can be good. We've already got proof of that (Metal Gear Solid 3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Deus Ex: HR, Halo Reach, etc.). The only reason "Prequel" has a big negative connotation is because of a major turn-of-the-century failure in science-fiction film-making.

Yes, defiantly. MGS Big Boss series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, First Class are all examples of such. Prequels can fill in holes, expand the universe, or flesh out things we know of.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Devil May Cry 3, Serious Sam 3. There you go.

It all depends.

Were the original writer/s working on it?
Was it made by the same team?
If either is no then was the new team genuinely attempting to capture the feeling of the originals and/or working with the original team/creator to ensure that it felt authentic?

If the answer is no to all of these, it's likely to be shit, if even one is yes then it has the same odds of sucking as any sequel (in fact this simple questionnaire can be applied to sequels as well).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked