Don't you just hate people like this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Okay...

So about 5 minutes ago I was browsing Dtoid and was reading the incredibly immature comments (that I love) from a recent article.

I wasn't expecting to have something unrelated completely spoiled.

Some asshole posted the alleged end to Bioshock Infinite. I'm still getting the game but I'm really butthurt right now. I won't say what the spoiler entails because I'm not an asshole like that but I will ask all of you this:

What do you think about people like this? Do you care if something gets spoiled? Have you ever done something similar?

The worst part was that I think it was posted on an article on the new Final Fantasy game. The last thing I was expecting from the comments was something about Infinite.

I accidentally spoiled the end of Halo 4 for one of my coworkers. We were talking about it, but I was the only one who had finished it at that point, and somebody (who already said he didn't care about spoilers) said to me right in front of the coworker...

Which I misheard as a declarative statement rather than a question, and I just blurted out "I KNOW, right?!" The guy I said that to didn't mind, but the nearby coworker got seriously upset that I did that. I felt pretty bad. I didn't do it intentionally, but the coworker is the kind of person who... well, he gets pretty butthurt about just about everything that doesn't go his way, and he holds grudges. My apology meant nothing to him, but he seems to have gotten over it later on.

But yes, spoiling something intentionally is pretty fucked up. Hell, spoilers are the whole reason ME3 had such a shitty ending. The original got leaked, so they rewrote it and we, the audience, got screwed.

I don't generally care about spoilers, but when people post them on completely unrelated articles/threads/Youtube videos, yeah, that's just a dick move. Especially if you don't mark it as a spoiler.

Personally, if I'm going to spoil something,

One reason I love these forums so much. I try to stay away from spoiling anything I am actually interested in, but if it gets revealed to me I don't really mind because I think actually experiencing the event is much better than just hearing/reading about it.

YEP, I know what you're talking about, browsed Dtoid about an hour ago. Although, I don't think that spoiler is true. i mean, the game is not out yet and I doubt that guy is some sort of game journalist to have early access.
I remember some time before Mass Effect 3 launch there was post on one of russian game forums saying that in the end of ME3 Shepard betrays everyone because all that time he was Reaper's agent.

I greatly greatly greatly greatly...*Breath* greatly greatly care.

They should have their speaking/posting privileges revoked forever.
The law should be adjusted to allow a spoiler to be savagely beaten
If they break the spoiler law once again, they will be executed on the spot...slowly

...I'm not a fan of spoilers is what I'm trying to say here.

Un-warned spoiler? Hang em.
Bitching about a warned spoiler? Hang em.

I totally hate those guys.

Y'know what's even worse? People who do this;

SPOILER WARNING
This doesn't work as a decent spoiler warning most of the damn time. Especially on facebook. One of my pet peeves about facebook is that it scrolls around like fuck when new content loads. Thus, there is a good chance it will settle on the spoiler this mentions, not the warning about it.

Meh, never gave a damn about spoilers. I don't go seeking spoilers out and I certainly avoid doing that to others, but it does not really matter either way to me.

I mean, even if someone describes the end of a game or movie to me in exquisite detail, the actual experience will inevitably be different than whatever I had in my head from the description.

That, and then there is the fact that I haven't been truly surprised by the content of any of these endings in years... a lot of these people really need to lay off the unsubtle foreshadowing.

You think that's bad, imagine being told who was the origami killer in Heavy Rain a few days before release by some twat on gamefaqs which reveals the spoiler in the topic title, so to be extra dickish.

I never wanted to hurt someone so badly on the net before, or since.

Let me just preface this by saying I've had Bioshock Infinite "spoiled" for me twice and wrote both times off as just some troll. Still, I've dedicated most of my mental fortitude to forgetting those "twists" just in case they are the truth, heaven forbid. I REALLY hope that's what happened to you, just some troll spouting nonsense, Bioshock looks to be an AWESOME game.
Anyway.
I accidentally spoiled the Walking Dead for a friend, sort of.

I've found the Dtoid comment section is usually pretty good. Apart from a handful of well known idiots and trolls, most of the time it's pretty civil and intelligent. But there's a lot of humour there too, which can often be off-colour, but it's all fun. They just don't take themselves very seriously.

I saw that article though. Even though I'm not that excited for Infinite as of yet, I pretty much clicked away from the article as soon as I saw what was going on in the comments. I saw one person complaining about the guy, and then saw most of the comments filled with the same all-caps shit reposted by the same guy all starting with "COMSTOCK...", so I just turned away. The article didn't even have anything to do with Infinite!

I've never seen anything quite like that on Dtoid before. I don't think it's anything indicative of Dtoid in particular, just one of the many random idiots on the internet desperate for attention, even if it's negative. They're complete arse holes who only care about themselves. They must be incredibly sad individuals if they really feel the urge to go around the internet and put serious effort in to ruining things for other people. Fuck 'em.

It still baffles me how so many people don't know (especially on this site) how to do spoiler tags properly.

Step 1) State whatever it is you'll be putting in the spoiler tags.

Step 2) Use the spoiler tags.

Step 3) That's it, is it that fucking hard?

And don't even get me started on those morons who post with only a spoiler tag.

In pretty much all cases, yeah.

However I blame myself if I accidentally read a spoiler comment in an article/video related to something I haven't seen the ending to. I just assume the worst about the liklihood of spoilers in the comments and view at my own risk. A sort of 'fooled me twice, shame on me' mentality I've carried with me for quite some time.

But if I see a spoiler in an unrelated article? Now that right there grinds my gears.

torno:
Let me just preface this by saying I've had Bioshock Infinite "spoiled" for me twice and wrote both times off as just some troll. Still, I've dedicated most of my mental fortitude to forgetting those "twists" just in case they are the truth, heaven forbid. I REALLY hope that's what happened to you, just some troll spouting nonsense, Bioshock looks to be an AWESOME game.
Anyway.

This also shits me. The Walking Dead show, game or movie? It's not a herculean effort to specify, there's no reason not to do so.

imahobbit4062:

torno:
Anyway.

This also shits me. The Walking Dead show, game or movie? It's not a herculean effort to specify, there's no reason not to do so.

Sorry about that.
The Walking Dead game by Telltale.

Why yes, I do hate people who do that. Only slightly worse is

SPOILER WARNING
Soandso dies.

...which often doesn't work at all, because you could be scrolling past it and have your attention drawn to it as a result, or the whole things is displayed anyway.

I had to try my hardest not to use the internet for about six months as a result of the release of Mass Effect 3 - a game I still haven't been able to play. Despite this, I still had the end spoiled for me. I also had Mass Effect 2 spoiled for me.

Screw you, world.

FFP2:
Okay...

So about 5 minutes ago I was browsing Dtoid and was reading the incredibly immature comments (that I love) from a recent article.

I wasn't expecting to have something unrelated completely spoiled.

Some asshole posted the alleged end to Bioshock Infinite. I'm still getting the game but I'm really butthurt right now. I won't say what the spoiler entails because I'm not an asshole like that but I will ask all of you this:

What do you think about people like this? Do you care if something gets spoiled? Have you ever done something similar?

The worst part was that I think it was posted on an article on the new Final Fantasy game. The last thing I was expecting from the comments was something about Infinite.

Oh yeah, I saw that guy too. It wasn't just on the Final Fantasy story, either. It was on all the stories on the front page.

Annoying little C-U-Next-Tuesday, ruined the entire game for me. I'm over the moon that PhilKenSebben banned his ass.

Spoilers are that 'one thing' for me I can't forgive. I absolutely hate spoilers, especially when there's a terrible warning for it as stated many times above. One of the reasons I love reddit, one of the few, is that they enforce spoilers quite seriously.

Well, no I don't. That's a very petty thing to hate someone over. For me it would be annoying at worst, especially if it's over something where the story actually mattered and was good. If the Witcher 3 gets spoiled for me, I'd be pretty damn annoyed, but ultimately I'd get over it. It is just a game, after all. Not worth hating others over.

Oh yeah.

I had some random douche on a forum spoil Heavy Rain on purpose.

He just posted "THE KILLER IS [NAME]!!!" without anything else.

I wasn't that interested in the game, but the attitude behind that kind of thing really shits me off. Going out of your way to decrease someone else's enjoyment for no personal gain apart from the knowledge that you've decreased someone else's enjoyment.

I mean, what kind of person does that?!

Spoilers about endings I don't care about, Hell, I knew the ending of Mass Effect 3 (Leave your comments/opinions about the ending elsewhere, the dead horse is a mushy paste at this point) and I wasn't upset about it, because I understand that, as with all stories, an ending is just an ending if it has no context for it. Its the story that leads up to the ending that makes it worthwhile.

Now if someone spoiled parts of the story leading up to it, now, that's a different situation all together.

Yes. So much so, I can't even describe. This is the reason I avoid social media sites like the plague whenever a movie I've been looking forward to comes out. Of course, that only helps so much. People can be completely senseless asshats in real life too when it comes to spoiling things.

For example, I almost had the end to Mass Effect 3 spoiled for me by the customer in line behind me, WHILE I WAS BUYING MASS EFFECT 3! She saw what I was purchasing and started to ask me if I liked the part at the end when... and then the cashier cut her off. Thank GOD the girl behind the counter had more common sense than this inconsiderate bitch behind me.

Any game, novel or movie relying on the revelation of a massive "twist" at the end and on which your enjoyment of the whole thing depends...usually isn't going to be very good. It's the first resort for novice writers who think it's extremely clever, and the last for writers who can't think of anything better.

It's so hard to avoid spoilers these days. Any kind of comments section or discussion thread is a potential threat.

The other thing that annoys me is people freely discussing spoilers of older films like Empire, Se7en, The Godfather etc. Yes it's old but people are being born every day and they're going to grow up without being able to experience some incredible reveals.

torno:
Anyway.

That and a bit more was spoiled by a co worker who asked me if I was playing the game. I mentioned that I was only up to episode three of the game and then he blurts out that exact thing. I was pissed.

Also, when people don't put a note telling people what they're spoiling in spoiler tags is a big no no, as it doesn't help in the slightest, unless the thread is on a specific thing and even then, sometimes people put something that has nothing to do with it.

Yeah sod those types i get over having games spoiled for me but its still damn aggrivating. I personally always try not to give away any spoilers even minor ones, even if its in a thread which contains them. Call me paranoid but better safe then sorry right?

BathorysGraveland2:
Well, no I don't. That's a very petty thing to hate someone over. For me it would be annoying at worst, especially if it's over something where the story actually mattered and was good. If the Witcher 3 gets spoiled for me, I'd be pretty damn annoyed, but ultimately I'd get over it. It is just a game, after all. Not worth hating others over.

It's not really about the spoilers, but the attitude behind it.

If somebody came onto this forum and posted the twist to the original Bioshock, then while it'd still be selfish and thoughtless, the chances are they simply didn't think people would get annoyed seeing as it came out around 5 years ago.

People who go onto forums posting spoilers before a game has even been released are deliberately trying to ruin it for others. They are going out of their way to be unpleasant and make other people unhappy, and there is no valid reason for doing it.

I don't consider hating people with that kid of mentality to be petty. The fact it is about a piece of fiction isn't really relevant, as it is their attitude that is the problem, not so much their actions.

Legion:
snip

Just.. what?! That's some conspiracy shit right there dude. You don't seriously believe people go around posting spoilers in an attempt at being malicious pricks, do you? Do the concepts of excitement and hype not appear to you? It's like back in school, when you'd learn something awesome and absolutely have to tell your friends. Someone might learn the ending of this game you're talking about and think it's really cool, so they tell others. There would be some who are trying to get a rise from people, I'm sure, but I really don't buy that from the majority.

And yes, it is petty. Hate is one of the strongest emotions we can hold as humans, and to extend that over something like a video game being spoiled for you is very petty. Intensely so.

BathorysGraveland2:

Legion:
snip

You don't seriously believe people go around posting spoilers in an attempt at being malicious pricks, do you?

It isn't a matter of "believing" because I have seen it happen on countless occasions.

The best example would be for Gears of War 2 on the games official forums. Somebody created a topic with a title that had no mention of spoilers or anything story related. The entire post was a list of all of the major plot points and of who died.

Nothing else.

This happened around 6 or seven times on the month before the game was released.

It doesn't happen on this site from what I have seen, but I was never suggesting that it did.

Legion:
snip

So yeah, there are some assholes. But guess what? There are assholes in pretty much every single thing in existence. To say everyone who happens to spoil something is doing it maliciously/to troll is a silly generalisation.

I hate all spoilers, period. I want to experience a work of art (be it novel, movie, videogame, etc) as the creator/s intended. If there's a minor plot point introduced half an hour into a story, I want to discover it half an hour into the story, because there's a reason the author introduced it half an hour in and not, for example, outlined it on the blurb on the back of the box/book/dvd case/whatevs. But that's just me- I know someone who is the exact opposite- he'll actually get you to recite the whole synopsis of a movie before he'll decide whether he wants to see it. Baffles me, but there you go.

BathorysGraveland2:

Legion:
snip

So yeah, there are some assholes. But guess what? There are assholes in pretty much every single thing in existence. To say everyone who happens to spoil something is doing it maliciously/to troll is a silly generalisation.

Quote me where I even remotely suggested that. I said people who go into a topic before a game is even out and post them. I am not referring to people who use spoiler tags.

I thought the paragraph above that one made it reasonably clear that I wasn't speaking about everybody who posts spoilers. Just because my example was using an old game doesn't mean I was only referring to spoilers for them.

Legion:
Quote me where I even remotely suggested that. I said people who go into a topic before a game is even out and post them. I am not referring to people who use spoiler tags.

I thought the paragraph above that one made it reasonably clear that I wasn't speaking about everybody who posts spoilers. Just because my example was using an old game doesn't mean I was only referring to spoilers for them.

I wasn't talking about tagged spoilers, but the ones that piss everyone off. If someone got annoyed at a tagged spoiler, that's their fault. An untagged spoiler however, may not be an intentional attempt at pissing people off. That's what I'm saying.

BathorysGraveland2:

Legion:
snip

Just.. what?! That's some conspiracy shit right there dude. You don't seriously believe people go around posting spoilers in an attempt at being malicious pricks, do you? Do the concepts of excitement and hype not appear to you? It's like back in school, when you'd learn something awesome and absolutely have to tell your friends. Someone might learn the ending of this game you're talking about and think it's really cool, so they tell others. There would be some who are trying to get a rise from people, I'm sure, but I really don't buy that from the majority.

And yes, it is petty. Hate is one of the strongest emotions we can hold as humans, and to extend that over something like a video game being spoiled for you is very petty. Intensely so.

Pretty sure I didn't go around spoiling stuff in school. Or I didn't go around telling this persona 'bout the ending of a movie he's going to see because of ''hype/excitement''.

Also, there is a difference when it comes to actual IRL and the internet, you can't have a lets say... tongue slip on the internet, but you can in IRL.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked