An Open Letter to Off-Topic

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dear Off-Topic,

Take a fucking chill pill! I usually come to OT to wind down and waste time, but it seems in recent months this place has been getting more and more explosive. I understand hyperbole is the native language of the internet and that vitriol seems to be the name of the game, but in my experience this forum's always been the exception to the rule. I think I've read the phrase "straw man" more times than Daystar has claimed supremacy over the weak and feeble! It's getting a tad... unbearable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing serious topics in Off-Topic, but "serious topic" SHOULD NOT be synonymous with "flame war". Every hot-button topic in the last two weeks has been locked within 20 pages, and for good reason.

I don't know what the fuck's going on. Is there something in the water? Are there just not enough cute cat pictures floating around these days? Or maybe it's that we're factionalizing shit too much. Yeah, I'm a bit tired of the overdone sexism/feminism/etc. threads, but they have a right to exist. The problem, I believe, is that someone's drawn a line in the sand and turned everyone of these individual issues into one black-and-white war. Believe it or not life's not so simple and it's okay to be on one side of an argument in one debate and the side of the argument in a similar discussion. Instead of judging situations on an individual basis, many here jump on one side of the debate by default and fight to the bitter end.

Which leads me to another point which I know will fall on deaf ears. It's okay to change your mind/admit you were wrong. I can count the number of times I have seen this happen here on one hand. But you know what? I digress. Honestly, trying to get an internet community to open their collective minds is about as feasible as picking nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

The best solution I can come up with is that we should all just calm the fuck down and remind ourselves why we're all here. We all like games and we like talking amongst those with similar lifestyles. So let's start having fun again.

Your Eternal Lover and Baby Daddy,

Fappy

P.S: We may need to sacrifice a lurker to Spider-Mod soon if things don't change! :D

Agreed.
Know what we need?

Ducks.

Ducks will cleanse our sins.

Sassafrass:
Agreed.
Know what we need?

Ducks.

Ducks will cleanse our sins.

The woman looks like she's having way to much fun trying not to get eye-lasered XD

Clearly the only answer is to abandon the concept of traditional adverserial debate and make it a rule that all dissagreements in off-topic must be resolved with a rap battle.

Hay Fappy, you know what place would be good for winding down?

The Forum Games!. You know you want to. o.o

YOUR ATTEMPTS AT PEACE MAKE ME FEEL ANGRY!!!

Fappy:
Dear Off-Topic,

Take a fucking chill pill! I usually come to OT to wind down and waste time, but it seems in recent months this place has been getting more and more explosive. I understand hyperbole is the native language of the internet and that vitriol seems to be the name of the game, but in my experience this forum's always been the exception to the rule. I think I've read the phrase "straw man" more times than Daystar has claimed supremacy over the weak and feeble! It's getting a tad... unbearable.

Using Daystar as an example of a profilic poster? What an obvious strawman. Not to mention sexist.

Fappy:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing serious topics in Off-Topic, but "serious topic" SHOULD NOT be synonymous with "flame war". Every hot-button topic in the last two weeks has been locked within 20 pages, and for good reason.

I think that it should do, and my opinion is objectively right.

Fappy:

I don't know what the fuck's going on. Is there something in the water? Are there just not enough cute cat pictures floating around these days? Or maybe it's that we're factionalizing shit too much. Yeah, I'm a bit tired of the overdone sexism/feminism/etc. threads, but they have a right to exist. The problem, I believe, is that someone's drawn a line in the sand and turned everyone of these individual issues into one black-and-white war. Believe it or not life's not so simple and it's okay to be on one side of an argument in one debate and the side of the argument in a similar discussion. Instead of judging situations on an individual basis, many here jump on one side of the debate by default and fight to the bitter end.

Black-and-white? YOU CAN'T USE THAT TERM WHITE MALE CIS SCUM >:[

Fappy:

Which leads me to another point which I know will fall on deaf ears. It's okay to change your mind/admit you were wrong. I can count the number of times I have seen this happen here on one hand. But you know what? I digress. Honestly, trying to get an internet community to open their collective minds is about as feasible as picking nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

Taring the entire internet community with the same brush? Someone is obviously using a sweeping generalisations fallacy.

Fappy:

The best solution I can come up with is that we should all just calm the fuck down and remind ourselves why we're all here. We all like games and we like talking amongst those with similar lifestyles. So let's start having fun again.

Your Eternal Lover and Baby Daddy,

Fappy

Sorry, after this it's obvious that the only thing that you care about is fun, which differs from my opinion (WHICH IS OBJECTIVELY RIGHT). I can't be bothered to argue with you any more because I know that I'm right.

Bertylicious:
Clearly the only answer is to abandon the concept of traditional adverserial debate and make it a rule that all dissagreements in off-topic must be resolved with a rap battle.

Replace rap battles with gladiatorial slaughter fests and you got my support.

Froggy Slayer:
-Snip-

Dammit! I've been had! My whole OP is a sham!

Fappy:

Froggy Slayer:
-Snip-

Wait...my adversary, admitting defeat? How do I, the internet angry person, deal with such an event? This isn't something that I've ever seen before! This is wrong! EVERYTHING THAT I KNOW IS WRONG!

I've been thinking the exact same thing Fappy but you can't fight anger and hate with more anger and hate. The pessimistic side of me thinks this is part of the natural cycle of the Escapist: 2012 was generally a time of frivolity and so now the pendulum has swung back but no, we do have a choice in this. I've been thinking of making a thread about this on Sunday, still might, but changing the forums starts with changing our own conduct first and being as friendly as possible to everyone including the flamers and trolls, even in the face of blind rage. Fight the flames with love!

Slaanesh:

Bertylicious:

Replace rap battles with gladiatorial slaughter fests and you got my support.

I dunno mate, it's not too practical is it?. We could probably do russian roulette but you know some cunt would cheat, being all "LoL! Only noobs use actual bullets!" and then send pictures of his scrotum to his opposite number's mum.

Actually I guess we could build it in to the whole escapist expo thing but it'd probably end up being just one weird lurker wearing nothing but a towel hoping to get sex-murdered by Daystar whilst Yahtze gives a thumbs up.

Fappy:
snip

I applaud your efforts here, Fappy. I've noticed this too and... It's gotten to the point where I can see a thread shitstorm looming on the horizon before it hits.

And I'm not the kind of person that enjoys flamewars, so I've often ended up abandoning threads entirely before I even get to post my thoughts because of that. Just because I know they'll turn into dead-end flamewars (and they often do). Forgive if I sound negative; But those threads, you know, those threads, the ones that go on for Dozens of pages of back and forth flaming, long-winded posts... Before being rather predictably shut down by mods... kinda seems like that all amounts to absolutely nothing. No minds are changed. No progress is made. 20 pages later and everyone is back to square 1.

I honestly do not get it.

But hey, this can't be the only place that has that sort of problem. It just seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on, huh?

Actually, I wonder if this thread will meet with a terrible fate >.>

Bertylicious:

Actually I guess we could build it in to the whole escapist expo thing but it'd probably end up being just one weird lurker wearing nothing but a towel hoping to get sex-murdered by Daystar whilst Yahtze gives a thumbs up.

Challenge accepted.

OT: Fappy, shut up, nobody loves you, nobody cares, your entire life is objectively terrible.

At least, that's what Sass told me.

>_>

I disagree on all points, I love you Fappy.

Debates are fun! Flame wars are not. I don't see why we can't just get along :[

It's not all bad, though. There was that thread in Gaming Discussion the other day, though, where we meant to post about how much we hated things. The community rose up and shouted "NO!" and proceeded make the topic about shit that they like. That made me smile.

I still maintain that this is one of the nicer places on the internet. It's just... well, it's the internet. This is where meanies breed, gosh-darnit. All you can do is try to remain calm and continue to post in a friendly, constructive manner. That'll really piss them off.

Bertylicious:

Glorious idea. For some reason you made me think of this.

I say we banish serious topics to the depth of R and P.
We also need threads with more phaza. I could use a couple of joke threads.

Daystar Clarion:

Bertylicious:

Challenge accepted.

OT: Fappy, shut up, nobody loves you, nobody cares, your entire life is objectively terrible.

>_>

I say that to everyone.
It's my way of saying I love you.

Sassafrass:

Daystar Clarion:

Bertylicious:

Challenge accepted.

>_>

I say that to everyone.

But you never said that to me...

Why won't love me Sassamcdonaldsfrass!

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

Daystar Clarion:

Challenge accepted.

>_>

I say that to everyone.

Because you took my spotlight away from me what with your derails and having fun thing.
I'll be damned if I'll love someone who is a spotlight stealer!

Nevermind, forget I mentioned anything.

Didn't people used to get badges by making forum games?

Fappy:

Froggy Slayer:
-Snip-

What did you expect?
It's an Off-Topic thread!

I just stay out of any topic with more than four pages.

This policy is serving me well so far.

Sassafrass:

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

I say that to everyone.

Because you took my spotlight away from me what with your derails and having fun thing.

I can change, I can become a hate-filled goblin like you, just give me a chance!

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

Daystar Clarion:

I can change, I can become a hate-filled goblin like you, just give me a chance!

...You've got two days.
Two days, Daystar.

Sassafrass:

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

...You've got two days.
Two days, Daystar.

Time to get to work...

I feel the hate growing.

Zhukov:

Impoverishes the rest of us though. What are we going to do when we're 5 pages deep in the debate about whether Angelina Jolie's breasts are large enough for Lara Croft to be a good role model for pre-teen girls and we need someone to put us all down in a bluff Australian accent by telling us about the size of the spiders he has to remove from his shoes every day?

You've got a responsibility, Zhukov.

I honestly feel the same way. Especially when it comes to LGBT issues and the like, which almost always erupt into massive flamewars. I feel almost like a soldier dropping in to provide support for my side and to be perfectly clear, that shit gets exhausting. I mean, fuck. we have a subforum for that, within the volcano that is Religion and Politics. If you want to post shit about current societal issues, for fuck's sake post it in there. Off Topic is for kittens, funny stuff, and other cool shit. KEEP SOCIETAL ISSUES THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY CAT PICTURES! Ahem, sorry. Carry on.

It has been getting a bit crazy. We need more positivity.

JoJo:
-snip-

You sound like that coke commercial XD

It does work though. I even turned a youtube flaming into a legit discussion by being polite once. Strangest thing ever.

Yes, things have been getting a little crazy and depressive.
Feminists have been turned into the boogeyman of the hour and it makes it really hard to be a reasonable feminist, and a reasonable person on this forum.
I really don't know why people have gotten so angry recently, hell, even agreeing to disagree with someone offends them now.

Fappy:
Take a fucking chill pill!

But but but, if they do that then where will my coworkers and I be able to get our daily dose of laughs?

(I guess we're the only ones who finds overreactions to controversy funny) >.<

Phasmal:
Yes, things have been getting a little crazy and depressive.
Feminists have been turned into the boogeyman of the hour and it makes it really hard to be a reasonable feminist, and a reasonable person on this forum.
I really don't know why people have gotten so angry recently, hell, even agreeing to disagree with someone offends them now.

Crap, you had to mention the "F" word didn't you?

Now this thread is going to explode! -_-

Captcha: FREE BAG

Leave me alone Captcha, I don't want your stinking free bag!

Yup I agree. Sometime I don't even feel like posting because what good is it going to do ? So I lurk. Lurkin--

Fappy:

P.S: We may need to sacrifice a lurker to Spider-Mod soon if things don't change! :D

Never mind

OT: In all seriousness I agree 100% to the OP. The Escapist community always have been pretty strong with debates and all that but recently it seems like everything have to be a debate to be seen as something with discussion value. The reason I don't post much is because I would like to post my opinion on certain subject, but I don't have (always) the time to respond to the multiple replies that I may get. (Know that I understand this isn't always the case)

So I normally just post in thread where discussion is all fun and rainbow.

but...

what else am i supposed to do with my new red lantern ring?

I NEED TO RELEASE THE HATE.

ALL FEAR THE RED LANTERN KITTIES :DDD

Zhukov:

one of these days..i'm going to find a topic you posted in, and as soon as it gets longer than 4 pages, i'm going to quote you like crazy to get you back in the thread

*Whiny voice* But Fappyyyyyyyyy! How will people know where I stand on an issue if I don't act demeaning and hostile towards thehhhhhhhhhm!

Yeah, I could go with a little less of that attitude around here - the grandest forum of them all, some say!

T0ad 0f Truth:
It does work though. I even turned a youtube flaming into a legit discussion by being polite once. Strangest thing ever.

Oh yes, I can vouch. 'Twas impressive.

Daystar Clarion:

I heard that song on the radio the other day and that vid was the first thing that came to mind. No idea who actually sings it, for me it's just the Farming Simulator song.

I think I'd find it quite jarring if I saw it on tv and that wasn't the accompanying video. The internet has done weird things to my understanding of pop culture...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here