An Open Letter to Off-Topic

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Phasmal:
Yes, things have been getting a little crazy and depressive.
Feminists have been turned into the boogeyman of the hour and it makes it really hard to be a reasonable feminist, and a reasonable person on this forum.
I really don't know why people have gotten so angry recently, hell, even agreeing to disagree with someone offends them now.

It is hard to be a reasonable person on this forum these days, yes. But, I think that has less to do with "feminism", and more to do with...

I've been likened to a woman-hating MRA nutcase simply because I took issue with stuff a woman did somewhere. That's not feminism. That's Sith absolutism.

Unless you agree with me 100%, you are my enemy.

Also, here's a gratuitous kitten picture:

There have been a lot of Mr. Grumpyfaces around the forums lately.

The topics that have been coming up lately seem to bring out the absolute worst in certain sectors of the gaming community.

Fappy:

The best solution I can come up with is that we should all just calm the fuck down and remind ourselves why we're all here. We all like games and we like talking amongst those with similar lifestyles. So let's start having fun

Fun? Citation needed.

Vegosiux:

It is hard to be a reasonable person on this forum these days, yes. But, I think that has less to do with "feminism", and more to do with...

I've been likened to a woman-hating MRA nutcase simply because I took issue with stuff a woman did somewhere. That's not feminism. That's Sith absolutism.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I meant. God, I am just awful at getting my point across.

In the end, you don't hate women, I don't hate men, but we're both getting lumped in with stupid generalizations because people don't want to use their brains. I imagine if people listened to the things you or I were actually saying they might realize we do not hate anyone or fit into the generalizations they will not let go of.

Basically nobody will listen to what people believe because they are too busy TELLING them what they believe.

T0ad 0f Truth:

SanAndreasSmoke:

-snip-

I may have been needlessly sarcastic at first though XD

I just get sick of things sometimes and it slips.

I personally found the sarcasm to be in perfect proportion to the other guy's insults. Pretty funny to read, actually.

Phasmal:

-snip-

Pretty much, yea. And it's not just you not getting points across well; it's basically people getting so desensitized to all this they have a hard time even recognizing points, and I see I just fell victim to that myself. And that's a good cue to say to myself "Hm, maybe a short break is in order".

I suppose some people here have a point when they suggest that such threads be moved to R&P instead...but on the other hand...that's a scary place.

Bottom line is, we need less battlements and more kittens and maybe randomness.

Oh and I'll remain a heretic; I'm sorry to all the people who are in Cult of Daystar Clarion, but I want to start my own religion one day, you see.

Fappy:
I don't know what the fuck's going on.

Your effort is commendable but in all probability wasted. As long there is interest to talk about the feminism/gender/men-vs-women topics and people continue to place an ungodly amount of their identity on their particular endowments (or whatever they associate with it) I don't see how something can be done about the flames - the only thing that will do something about it, is when the interest in discussing these topics eventually vanishes and people simply don't care anymore. A development, I like to think this thread here already signifies.

Oh, and I like to emphasize that even when this happens there will come a time when a new topic arises that will annoy the heck out of OT (or some other subforum) by it's sheer mass and flame-y nature. It happened multiple times with the gun-control, pedophilia and ME3 ending threads...it's nothing new and therefore I like to think it should be rather you who needs to chill a little. No point in getting angry about the circle of forum-life. It simply happens. Just, lean back, sip a cold beverage and enjoy the glorious insanity of the flame-y threads while they last.

Vegosiux:

Oh so all feminists are Siths now, are they? This is the greatest of your many crimes, Vegosiux.

Fappy, stop trying to make everyone get along. I read these forums for entertainment. What's more entertaining than a flame war? I humbly submit that nothing is.

BloatedGuppy:

Oh so all feminists are Siths now, are they? This is the greatest of your many crimes, Vegosiux.

Wait, what are you....oh. Yes, right, um...I suppose you caught me there. Indeed. Greatest crime. *leans back against a closet, quickly stuffing a bony hand and a drill-looking implement back into it on the way*

While I do believe in your overall message of "BE HAPPY, DAMN IT," I fear it's...

Hopefully, things get back to being non-srs soon!

Vegosiux:
I suppose some people here have a point when they suggest that such threads be moved to R&P instead...but on the other hand...that's a scary place.

Which is exactly why it would work. Scaryness means less traffic means less noise in the threads means less incentive for the trolls to, well, troll or simply a lesser number of...errr....very opinionated posters. Also I like to think the regulars over yonder know not to jump on to the most obvious examples of baiting or back off when it gets too hot (I sure do).

However, such a solution would be not feasible: there are always people who will make these kinds of threads in OT for various reasons and if the topic is sufficiently inflammatory it will burn through the forum in no time before the mods react. It happened before, it will happen again. So, any Ansatz like this would need to have the mods move any thread that remotely smells of flames as soon as possible. They will not do this, people will complain and not dare to venture into R&P to make them, hence there is really no alternative but to keep ignoring them at this point.

Church185:

Fappy:
Take a fucking chill pill!

But but but, if they do that then where will my coworkers and I be able to get our daily dose of laughs?

(I guess we're the only ones who finds overreactions to controversy funny) >.<

Hi, have you seen my group?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Some-men

Just trying to pander to people and shamelessly bump my group here...
Which I founded because I saw myself faced with a decision.
A decision between burning in the flamewars that have plagued these forums for far too long now or to leave this place for good.
But I chose the impossible.
I chose to found a group that pledges not to take part in these arguments, but rather observes them, ever watchful, never averting the gaze, for after this war is over, the world will either be destroyed and nothing but scorched earth will remain or it will be ours to take once the last thread has finally dwindled, once the last flame has flickered and died, then finally shall the world be ours once more and we can work towards making it a happier place once more, a place where Fappy may frolic and Daystar may derail to his heart's content.
Because I have a dream.
A dream of an Off-Topic forum where we, the users, can be friends once more instead of enemies, where controversial statements are met with humour and intolerance is countered with wit instead of insults, where one goes to relax and to have fun instead of arguing and bathing in self-righteousness.

But until this utopian vision can be fulfilled, I shall try to stick to writing humorous posts, getting in trouble for that, and participating mostly in threads that have not erupted into flames yet.

And now I leave you with this:

Zhukov:
I just stay out of any topic with more than four pages.

This policy is serving me well so far.

This. I avoid any topic I can't read through all the pages before posting on. Also, mPara is right, join us in the forum games :)

I was about to start a petition to have all feminisim/sexism/LGBT count as political discussions and have them be moved automatically to the P&R board(that should be enough to scare anyone from posting them) or if they are simply a controversial topic. Discussing them isn't bad, which is why there is a P&R board here, but it turns into a massive shit storm nearly every time on here, and I would honestly like to keep that in the section that those types of discussions were meant to be had. And maybe they could even just count as news, and we put them there, but I feel like those discussions are not for this board. I feel like the moment one of those threads pop up, the worst in all of us pop up, because most of these controversial topics force us to ask ourselves what we think about the situation, and too often do people tend to get the feeling that these opposing opinions are simply ignorant, and even if we sometimes try to be civil about it, it tends to go into the side of things where it's less argument based and more passive aggressive mud-slinging(I'm hardly an exception, though I try to typically argue with evidence, it can sometimes devolve into something worse)

At any rate, this entire post was too depressing considering the change I want to see in this board, so I'll lighten it up with a nice story

HAPPY STORY: So last night, I won a bidding war on Ebay for Xenoblade Chronicles(it was the third one for the same game that night) and got it cheaper than any of the other copies that were closing that night, while listening to this:

My blood was f****** pumped the whole time. Gotta love sniping.

About time someone said this. I've almost been afraid to post considering all the touchy thread subjects there have been. Taking one step out of line leading to a possible flame war doesn't sound nice at all.

Good show Fappy.

Calibanbutcher:

Church185:

Fappy:
Take a fucking chill pill!

But but but, if they do that then where will my coworkers and I be able to get our daily dose of laughs?

A decision between burning in the flamewars that have plagued these forums for far too long now or to leave this place for good.
I chose to found a group that pledges not to take part in these arguments, but rather observes them, ever watchful, never averting the gaze, for after this war is over, the world will either be destroyed and nothing but scorched earth will remain or it will be ours to take once the last thread has finally dwindled, once the last flame has flickered and died, then finally shall the world be ours once more and we can work towards making it a happier place once more, a place where Fappy may frolic and Daystar may derail to his heart's content.
Because I have a dream.
A dream of an Off-Topic forum where we, the users, can be friends once more instead of enemies, where controversial statements are met with humour and intolerance is countered with wit instead of insults, where one goes to relax and to have fun instead of arguing and bathing in self-righteousness.

But until this utopian vision can be fulfilled, I shall try to stick to writing humorous posts, getting in trouble for that, and participating mostly in threads that have not erupted into flames yet.

Some men?
Sexist much? :D

Actually I've just realised what it is. Everyone is in March Mayhem mode. Everyone is always used to being so super srs bsns this time of year. Flame wars were common place in March. XvsY characters. XvsY games. We need MM Cure. MM Rehab. Time to post some silly thread off from the top of my head.

Boss mode ACTIVATE!

It's time to make love and peace and to befriend the ever-living fuck out of EVERYTHING!!!!!

Am I doing it right, Fappy?

How can any off topic thread actually be on topic??
I had that one whiskey too much now didn't I??!!

Well I guess there's a point in this thread... But I seldom go into too many "serious" threads unless I think I might have something to say I don't even open 'em, I just move on and go find something else I might find interesting.

And yes, I've also been turned around and had to admitt defeat to a smarter "opponent" in a few arguments at this site, and it atually never felt bad. I just felt like I learned something, only once have I had to do the "we will clearly never agree on this so let's agree to disagree thing" that I can remember of here.
I can't remember ever winning an argument thou... O.o

Abandon the forums Fappy! Retreat to the shelter of the awesome User Groups! Less trolls, less flames, moar better peeps! We are the next step in evolution for Escapist forum kind and we will soon remove all genetically inferior forum goers! Resistance is futile!

Colour-Scientist:

Calibanbutcher:

Church185:

Because I have a dream.

Some men?

I am not even going to validate that.
OH YES I WILL.
BECAUSE SOME.MEN.JUST.WANT.TO.WATCH.THE.WORLD.BURN.
(Ladies welcome though)
SO LETS HAVE AT IT WITH ANOTHER SEXISM DEBATE YOU MISANDRIST SWINE; WHAT ABOUT TEH MENs you STRAWFEMINIST, YOU MISOGYNIST, ARE YOU IMPLYING I EVER SAID THAT I NEVER DID, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH WHEN I WROTE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, YOU MUST HATE ALL WOMEN THEN, BUT AREN'T YOU A MAN-HATING ONE, YOUR EQUALITY IS OPPRESSING MEN, MEN ARE ALWAYS BEING OPPRESSED, WOMEN ARE ALL POTENTIAL RAPE VICTIMS; ALL MEN EVERYWHERE ARE POTENTIAL RAPISTS; YOU MISOGYNIST, AREN'T YOU EDGY AS OF LATE, UH, USING BIG-BOY-WORDS, HUH, WELL I NEVER, YOU SLANDROUS INSECT, I SHALL HAVE YOUR HIDE FOR BREAKFAST, YOU CIS-GENDERED HOMOPHOBE, WELL LET ME PUSH YOU DOWN A SLIPPERY SLOPE THEN, BUT WAIT IT'S A FALLACY, OH GOD I MUST CONSTRUCT AND AD HOMINEM, STRAWMAN STRAWMAN STRAWMAN, STRAWOMAN STRAWOMAN STRAWOMEN, SEXISM IS EVERYHWERE; EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SEXIST, THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME, THEY WON'T CATCH ME, I'M FUCKING INNOCENT, THEY WON'T BREAK ME, I GOT ONE CHANCE LEFT, IN A NINE LIVE CAT, I GOT A DOG EAT DOG SLY SMILE, I GOT A MOLOTOV COCKTAIL, WITH A MATCH TO GO, MY WAY YOUR WAY, ANYTHING GOES TONIGHT, WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, WATCH IT BRING YOU TO YOUR KNEES, I AM GONNA WATCH YOU BLEED.

As you may or may not have noticed, this post is not intended to be taken seriously.
Anyways, I named the group after a famous quote, ladies are always welcome as well, as are those that refuse to stick to the bi-gender system.

Calibanbutcher:

Colour-Scientist:

Calibanbutcher:

Because I have a dream.

Some men?

OH YES I WILL.
(Ladies welcome though)
SO LETS HAVE AT IT WITH ANOTHER SEXISM DEBATE YOU MISANDRIST SWINE; WHAT ABOUT TEH MENs you STRAWFEMINIST, YOU MISOGYNIST, ARE YOU IMPLYING I EVER SAID THAT I NEVER DID, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH WHEN I WROTE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, YOU MUST HATE ALL WOMEN THEN, BUT AREN'T YOU A MAN-HATING ONE, YOUR EQUALITY IS OPPRESSING MEN, MEN ARE ALWAYS BEING OPPRESSED, WOMEN ARE ALL POTENTIAL RAPE VICTIMS; ALL MEN EVERYWHERE ARE POTENTIAL RAPISTS; YOU MISOGYNIST, AREN'T YOU EDGY AS OF LATE, UH, USING BIG-BOY-WORDS, HUH, WELL I NEVER, YOU SLANDROUS INSECT, I SHALL HAVE YOUR HIDE FOR BREAKFAST, YOU CIS-GENDERED HOMOPHOBE, WELL LET ME PUSH YOU DOWN A SLIPPERY SLOPE THEN, BUT WAIT IT'S A FALLACY, OH GOD I MUST CONSTRUCT AND AD HOMINEM, STRAWMAN STRAWMAN STRAWMAN, STRAWOMAN STRAWOMAN STRAWOMEN, SEXISM IS EVERYHWERE; EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SEXIST, THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME, THEY WON'T CATCH ME, I'M FUCKING INNOCENT, THEY WON'T BREAK ME, I GOT ONE CHANCE LEFT, IN A NINE LIVE CAT, I GOT A DOG EAT DOG SLY SMILE, I GOT A MOLOTOV COCKTAIL, WITH A MATCH TO GO, MY WAY YOUR WAY, ANYTHING GOES TONIGHT, WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, WATCH IT BRING YOU TO YOUR KNEES, I AM GONNA WATCH YOU BLEED.

As you may or may not have noticed, this post is not intended to be taken seriously.
Anyways, I named the group after a famous quote, ladies are always welcome as well, as are those that refuse to stick to the bi-gender system.

This is obviously a strawman ad hominem phallus-y. How are we supposed to have a good debate with people running around and disagreeing with my objectively right opin- err I mean facts?
Reported for personal attack. (I'm kidding :D)

Fappy:
-Snip-

All of the problems on the Escapist can be traced back to me no longer being a mod.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true. The people need to be oppressed, it makes them happy.
You were much happier when the people feared my name.

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Colour-Scientist:

Some men?

OH YES I WILL.
(Ladies welcome though)

This is obviously a strawman ad hominem phallus-y. How are we supposed to have a good debate with people running around and disagreeing with my objectively right opin- err I mean facts?

Come on, it's all over now and time is on my side, little red rooster, this will be the last time and you should know that you can't always get what you want and if you wanna go against me, you should know that I am a street fighting man, so you wouldn't be a fool to cry, it would be a respectable thing to do, seing as what happens when you start me up will have you recquire an emotional rescue squad, but don't stop now, even if you can'T get no satisfaction, since the future is only doom and gloom.

TopazFusion:

Katherine Kerensky:
All of the problems on the Escapist can be traced back to me no longer being a mod.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true. The people need to be oppressed, it makes them happy.
You were much happier when the people feared my name.

This must be the reason. It's all your fault!

Why did you bring death and destruction on this forum, Greyfox. Whyyyyy??

Because ponies found me and stole my soul.
Sorry, that's a lie, I found people who were fun to play MWO with, they liked ponies, I eventually gave in after doing some reading.
Oh, and other, actual reasons for why I stopped.
But blaming ponies makes everything better.

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

OH YES I WILL.
(Ladies welcome though)

Come on, it's all over now and time is on my side, little red rooster, this will be the last time and you should know that you can't always get what you want and if you wanna go against me, you should know that I am a street fighting man, so you wouldn't be a fool to cry, it would be a respectable thing to do, seing as what happens when you start me up will have you recquire an emotional rescue squad, but don't stop now, even if you can'T get no satisfaction, since the future is only doom and gloom.

Mind = Blown

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Mind = Blown

So, someone was saying something about there not being any possibilty anymore to have fun on this forum?

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Mind = Blown

So, someone was saying something about there not being any possibilty anymore to have fun on this forum?

I think it was the one guy. You know, the one with the hair, he had some facial features as well.
Kind of a joyless monkey bagger I say.
And on a completely related note, your avatar makes me smile :D

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:
Mind = Blown

I think it was the one guy. You know, the one with the hair, he had some facial features as well.

Ah, that one guy. I know him, what with his teeth and his skin and even his eyes, you know? Of course also his body type and maybe his shoes, more importantly, his toe-nails as well.

And thank you very much for that.
In return I must say that I do very much admire your Username, such simplicity, and yet, so much entertainment value given.

It wouldn't hurt if off-topic took it down a notch on the furious debates for awhile. I for one blame today's violent media >.>

That kind of thing is exactly why I stopped posting here several months ago. Although since coming back I haven't personally seen much vitriol, people sure are complaining about it much more than when I left.

It seems to be that no matter what you're talking about, the longer a conversation goes on, the more likely it becomes that someone will inevitably take what you say far too personally, and decides to take that as an excuse to hurl personal attacks at you. That does in fact include straw-manning too. It just devolves in to what is nothing more than "I'm right and you're wrong because I'm better than you and you're a retard".

Now I just basically stay away from any kind of discussion that's gotten to a certain length, or if it's one of this site's favourite topics to get riled up about.

JoJo:
I've been thinking the exact same thing Fappy but you can't fight anger and hate with more anger and hate. The pessimistic side of me thinks this is part of the natural cycle of the Escapist: 2012 was generally a time of frivolity and so now the pendulum has swung back but no, we do have a choice in this. I've been thinking of making a thread about this on Sunday, still might, but changing the forums starts with changing our own conduct first and being as friendly as possible to everyone including the flamers and trolls, even in the face of blind rage. Fight the flames with love!

Fight fire with peace and love and drills!. Peace and love are, after all, the most flame-retardant of emotional response mechanisms!

At any rate I agree the forum has been very hostile lately ona ll kinds of topics, the sexism stuff needs discussing yes but it's so bile fuelled and angry all the time that it just becoems unpleasant. There's also been far too much bickering between the PC and console fronts and far too many threads about innocent topics dominated by "PC ARE THE BEST" within 2 or 3 pages or "THOSE ELITIST BASTARDS" within 2 pages, how about we all just calm down, chill the fuck out, and stop arguing about who's format is best and instead discuss the games themselves?

That'd be a happy day for us all I think. Also we need more free hugs around here.

And more Barry White!!!

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Ah, that one guy. I know him, what with his teeth and his skin and even his eyes, you know? Of course also his body type and maybe his shoes, more importantly, his toe-nails as well.

In return I must say that I do very much admire your Username, such simplicity, and yet, so much entertainment value given.

Watch out around those toe nails. Word around the forums is he has some nasty cotton candy fungus down there. The blue kind.
Thanks for that! I contracted the best scientists in the world to come up with that name. Know how w don't have fusion power yet? Yeah sorry about that but I really needed those scientists.

Bertylicious:
Clearly the only answer is to abandon the concept of traditional adverserial debate and make it a rule that all dissagreements in off-topic must be resolved with a rap battle.

> cue sick beat
Your idea is simply ludicrous
The notion that it would work is hilarious
On the internet it is impossible to debate
All that exist is anger and hate

Now I'm a serve you like waiter
Cause we all know that I am a hater
You'll go crying back to Momma you twelve year old boy
We all know that the internet is meant to destroy

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Watch out around those toe nails. Word around the forums is he has some nasty cotton candy fungus down there. The blue kind.
Thanks for that! I contracted the best scientists in the world to come up with that name. Know how w don't have fusion power yet? Yeah sorry about that but I really needed those scientists.

And here I thought that it was due to me kidnapping all the top physicists in the world, chaining them up in my basement and letting them build the ultimate doomsday device for me.
So it was you you magnificent bastard...
But I gotta say, that was effort well spent.

Also, we should just flood this thread with fun and happiness and get it over 4 pages, so we can get a 4 page thread where Zhukov can post in and, at the same time, prove to Fappy that the escapist can still be fun.

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

And here I thought that it was due to me kidnapping all the top physicists in the world, chaining them up in my basement and letting them build the ultimate doomsday device for me.
So it was you you magnificent bastard...
But I gotta say, that was effort well spent.

Also, we should just flood this thread with fun and happiness and get it over 4 pages, so we can get a 4 page thread where Zhukov can post in and, at the same time, prove to Fappy that the escapist can still be fun.

If you could share the plans for this doomsday device I will give you a lifetime supply of lambchops

I would love to do that but sadly, I must go to work now. Such a waste of time compared to spreading joy to the escapist and possibly tolling Zhukov but capitalism is a beach. Farewell for now Escapist!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked