An Open Letter to Off-Topic

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Fappy:
Dear Off-Topic,

Take a fucking chill pill! I usually come to OT to wind down and waste time, but it seems in recent months this place has been getting more and more explosive. I understand hyperbole is the native language of the internet and that vitriol seems to be the name of the game, but in my experience this forum's always been the exception to the rule. I think I've read the phrase "straw man" more times than Daystar has claimed supremacy over the weak and feeble! It's getting a tad... unbearable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing serious topics in Off-Topic, but "serious topic" SHOULD NOT be synonymous with "flame war". Every hot-button topic in the last two weeks has been locked within 20 pages, and for good reason.

I don't know what the fuck's going on. Is there something in the water? Are there just not enough cute cat pictures floating around these days? Or maybe it's that we're factionalizing shit too much. Yeah, I'm a bit tired of the overdone sexism/feminism/etc. threads, but they have a right to exist. The problem, I believe, is that someone's drawn a line in the sand and turned everyone of these individual issues into one black-and-white war. Believe it or not life's not so simple and it's okay to be on one side of an argument in one debate and the side of the argument in a similar discussion. Instead of judging situations on an individual basis, many here jump on one side of the debate by default and fight to the bitter end.

Which leads me to another point which I know will fall on deaf ears. It's okay to change your mind/admit you were wrong. I can count the number of times I have seen this happen here on one hand. But you know what? I digress. Honestly, trying to get an internet community to open their collective minds is about as feasible as picking nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

The best solution I can come up with is that we should all just calm the fuck down and remind ourselves why we're all here. We all like games and we like talking amongst those with similar lifestyles. So let's start having fun again.

Your Eternal Lover and Baby Daddy,

Fappy

P.S: We may need to sacrifice a lurker to Spider-Mod soon if things don't change! :D

Spider-Mod? Who the hell is Spider-Mod?

Edit: Oh, hey what do ya know I started page 6.

Fappy:
Holy crap, we managed to make it to page 5 without a flame-war breaking out! I'm proud of you guys. I really am.

Wish I had the time to respond to everyone's quotes, but there are a lot of them >.>

could this be any more related?

celebration is in order!

THIS DRINK, I LIKE IT, ANOTHA!

DVS BSTrD:
Didn't people used to get badges by making forum games?

I got badges for my Forum Game thread I made a few months ago.

OT: Forums have become volatile, posters are getting banned, people are getting mad! *takes cover in the Forum Games section* Why won't people join us in this section!

I agree on the forums being more hostile, not because of the mods, mods fight against the trolls!
But users have to behave themselves as well, when fights break out, no side is willing to admit defeat or loss, so they usually rely on direct insults.

I hope things get better.

The Escapist Forums..

..to call home.

cojo965:

That'd be me. Your friendly neighbourhood Moderator who dresses like Spiderman. But with a shirt and tie. SPIDERMOD!

TizzytheTormentor:
I agree on the forums being more hostile, not because of the mods, mods fight against the trolls!

Trolls are like Orks! Never ending, smelly and dull witted!

The fight never ends!

sky14kemea:

cojo965:

That'd be me. Your friendly neighbourhood Moderator who dresses like Spiderman. But with a shirt and tie. SPIDERMOD!

Lies! They should worship bow to respect me as their one true god mod!

TimeLord:

TizzytheTormentor:

Trolls are like Orks! Never ending, smelly and dull witted!

The fight never ends!

I guess this song is appropriate!

Fall of the (Ban) Hammer!

Also, don't forget ad bots and spammers! As well as some riotous ruffians!

Fappy:

Sassafrass:
Agreed.
Know what we need?

Ducks.

Ducks will cleanse our sins.

The woman looks like she's having way to much fun trying not to get eye-lasered XD

"Stoooop! Your death rays TICKLE, dammit!"

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

cojo965:

I may worship you, I may bow to you, but I will never respect you!

...Wait, I did that wrong, didn't I?

Zachary Amaranth:

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

I may worship you, I may bow to you, but I will never respect you!

...Wait, I did that wrong, didn't I?

Unbelievers are not tolerated in my temple of Escapia!

All the harmony and love in this thread... IT DISGUSTS ME.

Seriously, though, I'm finding myself coming here less and less because of how angry and flame-filled most big threads are now. I just want us all to get along! I'd love to go a day without seeing some hot issue turn into a massive flame war and kicked fairly quickly

And I had a cute kitten here, but it was big and spoiler tags aren't working on this thing... *smacks tablet*

Fappy:
Holy crap, we managed to make it to page 5 without a flame-war breaking out! I'm proud of you guys. I really am.

Wish I had the time to respond to everyone's quotes, but there are a lot of them >.>

I think Therumancer mentioned Sarkeesian on page 2 or 3 so.....y'know, watch this space. It's all good so far but one errant quote and the whole thing could EXPLODE!

OT: The amount of Queen in this thread makes me feel all like...

But right now I'm in the mood for something a bit more mellow.

When I first signed up on the Escapist, it wasn't nearly this volatile.
But it seems so many topics are just sitting on a powder keg now.

I really appreciate this thread but where was it back in the Boudica days? This feels mild compared to that time.

Also.., Queen

The sooner we all dispense with our self-delusions of infallibility, the sooner we can get along.

Now... MOSH!

The only thing reading this thread has taught me is that the moderation on these forums seems incredibly selective.

Fappy:
Honestly, trying to get an internet community to open their collective minds is about as feasible as picking nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

It's also as messy as trying to pick nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

I agree with your sentiment, I like a bit of conflict to be sure, because without some conflict, humanity gets all stagnant, but there needs to be a balance, I'm all for some level of chillification!

Not like anyone listens to 'lil ol' Doomy though, so I tend to just lurk and chill.

Here's the thing. People today in the west grow up in much comfier, less troublesome environments and since we all seek conflict in some way, the "small" issues go out of control. This is especially true because we get younger and younger posters who have grown up with "our" rhetoric and pass as something they are not.

The major issue has been sexism and yes, it is a small issue in our part of the world. It doesn't mean it's not important, it doesn't mean that nothing has to be done, but it's not the god damn french revolution, but people treat it with a mob mentality from all sides. Combined with the need for attention, recognition and adoration from fellow posters as well as total anonymity and you have a dangerous cocktail.

The solution? Just ignore it.

Sassafrass:
Agreed.
Know what we need?

Ducks.

Ducks will cleanse our sins.

Ah man your pic really made me laugh well done :)

I actually saw this duck live in Sydney (Sadly I forgot my camera at this time) and even heard some joke comments as that the giant rubber duck had eyes that would kill....The duck seemed much closer then too.

There was also some speculation about what the giant inflatable rubber duck would look like as a Magic: The gathering card (you know, because it was during grand Prix Sydney and all).

As for the original topic of the thread I do agree that it would be nice if the internet stopped complaining and calmed down for a little while. Particularly where complaints about music are concerned.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here