"It's Not for Everyone"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm seeing this trend a lot lately. Whether it come to movies, video games, or even youtube channels there are plenty of things out there that appeal to certain people and not so much to others. I notice in these forums specifically when people showcase their new favorite video/product there is generally a mixed bag of responses.

So Escapists, what do you enjoy that other people don't and vice versa. Ponies, Twilight, Jersey Shore, etc... are only half credit answers.

Personally Enjoy: D&D. Get past the fact that everything's in your head and your role-playing a dwarf and it's one of the best parts about my week. Sure people on these forums will sympathize but I always wonder why it's so hard for other people to try it out.

Personally Dislike: Stealth Games. Whether it's because I suck at them or I'm just too impatient I just can't see the appeal. Waiting in the shadows, observing enemy patrols, and consequently failing because the AI decided to turn around at the last second is infuriating. I like games that contain stealth but only if there's a fallback option available. Other than that I'll be reloading quite a bit.

Legendairy314:
So Escapists, what do you enjoy that other people don't and vice versa.

Erm, the answer would be the same for everybody - every single thing. That's the whole reason to have opinions. If you asked for an in-depth biography of people, that would be sort of the same magnitude of an answer as that question there.

Fat white chicks in bikinis. Yup i'm one of those chubby chasers , stop staring .

Also i love me some Jrpgs , and really really hard games . Three things that are not so popular here on the escapists .

krazykidd:
Fat white chicks in bikinis. Yup i'm one of those chubby chasers , stop staring .

You and me both, brother. Except I like all colors of women with junk in the trunk.

Queen Michael:

krazykidd:

You and me both, brother. Except I like all colors of women with junk in the trunk.

Well i say white ( i'm black btw ) because i have 0 attraction to black girls , and haven't ever seen a big asian woman . But yeah, completly agree with the junk in the trunk.

Personally enjoyed- Ghost in the Shell and Mecha animes like Gundam.
I can understand why some people (like my bro) can't get into GiTS due to some complication and certain tech lingo which is a shame since if you can get pass that, you will appreciate the awesome animation and the other stuff that make the show so good.
I guess the same goes with Gundam althought I only know my bro who personally dislike it much to my dismay (it's such a pain in the ass when he try to get me a Gundam model as a present). Sure he say that the mech itself is cool but he never understand why I like certain mech design (I had to explain that the Gundam 00 Gundams were so much cruvy and sleek compared to the UC Gundam and he still didn't get it).

Personally dislike- I guess that would be the current Jpopstars Girl Generation. I used to understand my bro taste in Jpop in that he hated squeaky voice Jpop singers which apply to Girl Generation (in my ears) but apparently to him, they used synthesizer which make it ok to him to listen to.
Sure I like Jpop like Ayumi Hamasaki and Hikaru and other Jpop with squeaky like voice but Girl Generation never appeal to me, I guess I could be on the fence and the fact I'm no longer up to date with the lastest music trend.

DoPo:

Legendairy314:

Erm, the answer would be the same for everybody - every single thing. That's the whole reason to have opinions. If you asked for an in-depth biography of people, that would be sort of the same magnitude of an answer as that question there.

With the potential exception of happiness? I don't why you wouldn't want to be happy... And I'm not talking the bubbly saccharine emotion. I mean the pretentious philosophical one :)

OT: What do I like that isn't commonly looked upon fondly here? Well the Halo series I guess. I can't fathom why there are as many people that hate it as there are (or at least seems to be)... No hate isn't the right word. "Claim that it's bad" works better.

There are many games that I can acknowledge as being good, fantastic even, that I don't particularly care for. Half life 2 for example. I liked the first one a lot, but when I played 2 much more recently I went all neutral planet in my opinion of it.

Half life 2 is a great game, but I just didn't really like it all that much.

So I presume something similar is going on with a lot of people and the Halo games. No, I'm not interested in an argument over which one is better. It's just an analogy to explain disliking good things. shutup! XD

Halo has tight controls with few glitches, the music by Marty O'Donnell is incredible, many of the side characters are memorable, the villains have realistic motives, and the atmosphere and poetry of the story is great even if the plot itself isn't anything new or particularly original. It's a very solid series with a very rich universe and lore if you're willing to look.

I don't really get how people say its bad even if they don't like it. :/

Professional Wrestling. Yea, I'm a smark. I get it. It's a performance, and it's popular with kids. Most agree that the WWE isn't as good at it used to be, but I still like it. I am a little tired of the ridicule at work though when the subject comes up. Most of my coworkers say the same thing: "I liked it when I was like.. 10. But now? HA!" But I can deal with that.

It's when people's only argument against it is "It's fake, therefore it's dumb." If that's really all you can say about it, then I'm afraid you just don't get it, and I can't explain it you. That's fine, too. You don't have to get it. It's not for everyone. But I would hope you don't think less of those who like it, because if so, you're kind of a dick.

Jack the Potato:

It's when people's only argument against it is "It's fake, therefore it's dumb."

Next time remind them that so is the entirety of fiction. Firefly? Check. Huck finn? Check. Deus ex? Check. The Matrix? Check... The list goes on XD

Personal like: Growled or screamed vocals in metal. This sort of thing is an acquired taste even among metal fans. The more you listen to stuff with growled lyrics, the more you learn to tolerate or even enjoy them. Personally, I found that listening to bands that have it, but not all the time or have mostly instrumental moments (stuff like Opeth, Mastodon, and Gojira), eases you the best into the style.

Personal dislike: Really large breasts. maybe this realization is due to the frankly creepy sexualization of women in anime, which leads to some behemoth titties, but even so, I find small or moderate sized breasts much more attractive.

T0ad 0f Truth:

DoPo:

Legendairy314:

With the potential exception of happiness? I don't why you wouldn't want to be happy... And I'm not talking the bubbly saccharine emotion. I mean the pretentious philosophical one :)

Isn't that...not a choice, though? Happiness is by definition something one enjoys. Therefore saying "I enjoy happiness" is sort of a tautology.

Well apparently black coffee, whenever I order it people insist I have milk with it. Then when I tell them I don't like it with milk in they look at me like I have two heads.

DoPo:

T0ad 0f Truth:

DoPo:

Isn't that...not a choice, though? Happiness is by definition something one enjoys. Therefore saying "I enjoy happiness" is sort of a tautology.

Tautologies are valid. What's wrong with being an asshole and pointing out a=a is in fact a true statement XD

I personally love my hard games. Bonus points if the game isn't 'hard', but more difficult but awesome and simple to play but hard to master. See Dark Souls, Mario 3, and Cave Story for examples.

I freaking hate celebrities. I'm not interested in people who act idiotic, in my eyes. I don't find them sexy either, but I think it's because I'm a single target sexuality[1] kinda guy.

[1] Human, mind you

sextus the crazy:
Personal like: Growled or screamed vocals in metal. This sort of thing is an acquired taste even among metal fans. The more you listen to stuff with growled lyrics, the more you learn to tolerate or even enjoy them. Personally, I found that listening to bands that have it, but not all the time or have mostly instrumental moments (stuff like Opeth, Mastodon, and Gojira), eases you the best into the style.

Same here. When I was first getting in to metal I really didn't like it, but as my taste evolved and I started listening to heavier stuff I got used to it. Doesn't phase me in the slightest now. The way I look at it is that it's part of the musical aesthetic of the genre. It's just a part of a whole. I enjoy it for that, although I tend to prefer bands which do both growls and clean vocals. It's most definitely an acquired taste.

As for my dislike, probably a lot of some of the different subgenres of anime that seems to be getting attention recently. Like the "slice of life", moe, and self-insertion romance fan-service shows that seem to be popular. I like anime, but nothing will ever get me in to stuff like that.

krazykidd:

Also i love me some Jrpgs , and really really hard games . Three things that are not so popular here on the escapists .

and you live in canada?

my friend, america is your heaven if you're looking for fat white chicks.

OT: alot of the more "mainstream" animes, not that i wouldn't/don't like other ones, i just appreciate those ones too (naruto,dbz,etc...)

my love for peanutbutter balls (let me elaborate), anytime i get reeses, i get them by the bag-loads, and i'll eat/peel off all the chocolate, then make one hulk sized peanut butter ball, and go to town on that thing til i can barely breath from so much orgasmic peanut butter being in my throat. anytime i remotely do it or someone hears about it that i do it, they are immediately weirded out and would never consider such a thing.

*shrugs* it's fucking delicious.

I read

gmaverick019:
my love for peanutbutter balls

And then I did lol heartily.

Pink Gregory:
I read

gmaverick019:
my love for peanutbutter balls

And then I did lol heartily.

haha well i'm glad you could get a good laugh out of it, i do see how ridiculous it sounds.

but seriously..THEY'RE FUCKING DELICIOUS. BACK OFF! I'M A CRAZED LUNATIC. *rolls peanutbutter ball slowly in preparation*

Scrustle:

As for my dislike, probably a lot of some of the different subgenres of anime that seems to be getting attention recently. Like the "slice of life", moe, and self-insertion romance fan-service shows that seem to be popular. I like anime, but nothing will ever get me in to stuff like that.

This too. I don't hate moe or slice of life, as they can be well executed, but I find sexual fan-service to be incredibly distracting. Come to think of it, I don't even bother finding out what's new or coming out because if it's good, I'll hear about it later. Plus, there's all sorts of good stuff that's already out that's good.

Legendairy314:
Personally Enjoy: D&D. Get past the fact that everything's in your head and your role-playing a dwarf and it's one of the best parts about my week. Sure people on these forums will sympathize but I always wonder why it's so hard for other people to try it out.

What's not to love about D&D? Or Pathfinder. Or any tabletop RPG, really.

Actually, D&D is a great learning tool. It is a great activity for kids because it uses both math and imagination.

Honestly, I think D&D IS for everyone, if they'd just give it a try.

Anyway....

OT: Things I like that aren't for everyone? Hm.

Trope Subversion. I would list the various books, TV series, etc that I love that employ this as a central literary premise, but it's easier to just say trope subversion. Taking something predictable and turning it on its ear - examining the craft of story telling and using those tools to fool and subvert the audience's expectations is something I absolutely love. Not everyone does, though. Some people prefer to remain safely in their comfort zone. Like sheep. :p

... what? Were you expecting me to say something about sex? Ha! I have subverted your expectations! See how fun that is?

I don't know what other people like or dislike~

Like: Healthy eating: Because of my diet, there's a lot of foods that I won't bother eating. Not merely because of health concerns, but because either I just don't like it that much, or after eating copious amounts of it, I often find myself still hungry. These restrictions have led me to eating a lot of the same foods repeatedly and getting a lot of "You have to live a little" remarks thrown my way. What those people don't understand is that I don't eat what I do over and over again because I *hate* it. I eat what I eat over and over again because it's just that damn good. And I can go for way longer eating healthier food without getting sick of it and having to change it up every once in a while than I can go eating, say, pizza or whatever without getting sick of it.

As for what I dislike that a lot of people enjoy, going out to nightclubs. Blaring music makes it damn near impossible to have a conversation with the person right in front of you, Flashing lights make it impossible to see where you're going, or where someone dropped a glass of beer that you should avoid stepping on. Mazes of people that make it damn near impossible to get anywhere, or find a friend that you've been separated from. That, and the assumption that nightclubs are the be-all and end-all of social activity, as in "if you don't go out to nightclubs, you're some kind of antisocial shut-in, because no social hobbies exist whatsoever outside of going to nightclubs."

sextus the crazy:

Personal dislike: Really large breasts. maybe this realization is due to the frankly creepy sexualization of women in anime, which leads to some behemoth titties, but even so, I find small or moderate sized breasts much more attractive.

Same here.
Not for the reason your saying, I simply like them more, no real reason other than that.
Anyway.
Nobody likes black licorice jelly beans but I absolutely ADORE them. I absolutely hate actual black licorice though, I find it a little strange. But they're my favorite Jelly-Belly and the bonus is that having this taste means more people are likely to give them to me. Everybody wins.

I like WoW and many mainstream games. I hate 'retro' indie games even though I should be that target market as someone who grew up on the Amiga and the first PC I purchased for myself was a 486.

I also I like kids and think modern American cartoons are usually better than the ones I grew up with and often have better story lines than anime. I also think TV is better than it ever has been thanks to a huge variety of options(I do hate most reality shows as everyone else claims to). If I didn't vote for Gary Johnson I would have voted for Mitt Romney and generally been happy with my vote.

I am not the average escapist.

I enjoy Cradle of Filth. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but even if you don't like the vocalist, the music itself is really good. I also find some harlem shake videos to be amusing. Oh, and Claudio Sanchez as a vocalist. Most people(for some reason) don't seem to like his voice. I just don't get it. Yeah, his voice can go a little high, woopdie doo, any great vocalist should have a good vocal range, not just sing in one octave the whole time, and he's able to go lower contrary to popular belief.

Hmm lets see.

Personally enjoy: games that provide a truly immersive experience ( Dark Souls, Skyrim/Morrowind,KOTOR II ), Heavy Metal music and the majority of its genres. I like really depressing music, like music that drowns you in depressing atmosphere, going back to atmosphere again. I like MLP cuz its a gem in shit when compared to other cartoons nowadays, but things are getting better. Literature and generally obscure stories like Lovecraft and the like. I love winter and love the rain.

Personally dislike: Team sports and the hyper-competitive people they breed. Reality TV. The Big Bang Theory. People who can't comprehend the bitterness of some (former)bioware fans. The overuse of sarcasm/irony/snark in humor, its not funny to me. Actually just sarcasm in general. The tribal mentality of some cult- erm.. guilds in MMO's. Interesting to watch from a distance, hell to play with.

Either way, enjoy what you like and don't be a dick about it and everything should be a-ok.

Nice thread!

What I like that others don't:

I'm a big fan of latin music. The genre seem be discarded by a lot of people as it's something ''bizarre'' but I very much like it.

I'm a pretty huge fan of hardcore music and all it's variance (Metalcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, Mathcore etc) which is often regarded as garbage as a genre by a lot of people, even from the metal scene. I think it's because a lot of the ''good bands'' are hidden beneath a plethora of mediocre bands (that depends on your taste though). The good thing is, the genre is much more diverse than it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

I like golf. It seem to not appeal to a lot of people has it's ''boring'' as a sport (some will even debate if it's a sport), but I like it! There's nothing more relaxing than a good game of golf a Saturday morning with a couple of friends.

What I don't like that others do:

Soda. I don't like the taste, the feeling, it's nasty and unhealthy. I think drinking soda as your primary source of liquid consumption is just as bad as other bad habits, like binge drinking.

Movies. It's strange because every time I say this, everybody come with a reply like ''how are you able to listen to an entire album but not able to watch a whole movie''. I honestly have no ideal why I don't like watching movies. The only movies I've ever watched by myself was the Rambo and Rocky movies.

Like: Duke Nukem Forever.. seriously, I love that game and its DLC campaign was great too.

Dislike: People who look for, and 99% of the time end up making up, controversy. Especially in video games. Sorry to burst your bubble, but RE5 is not racist and at least 9 out of every 10 instances where misogyny is cried is false too. That means about half of the escapist community I am aware but oh well. Not here to make friends.

I suppose I should also add that I like to make up statistics :D

What I like:

Black Liquorice. Works kinda like a laxative sure, but I LOVE the taste. I could quite easily om nom it all day.

Rare Steak: I like it pink and 'bleeding' but still with a bit of brown in it. Otherwise I find it too tough, or the flavour is taken away from it. I have no idea how people can eat it well done.

Things I don't like:

Drinking parties. You know the ones where a billion people come and all they do is get drunk to loud, shitty pop music. I went to a couple a few years ago and I would up leaving about an hour in (yes people were PLASTERED in the first hour). Maybe I'm a prude, but I just don't get it.

and another one that won't get people to argue with you...uhh...

Morrowind: I did enjoy it yes, but what I DON'T like is how people tout it as God's gift to mankind and that Oblivion and Skyrim don't even hold a candle to it.

Mount & Blade and X3.
I've tried to get friends into them, but they keep being all butthurt over not being able to play them because the learning curve is a brick wall. Pussies.

torno:

sextus the crazy:

Same here.
Not for the reason your saying, I simply like them more, no real reason other than that.

maybe it's the optimal input/output ratio that moviebob mentioned in one of his gameoverthinker videos.
either way, they still good.

Oh this is great!

Like: The Inheritance Cycle. I have finally reached the point in life where Cliche Storms are FUN.

Dislike... pretty much any music made since 2005 by a major artist. It just all sounds the same to me.

sextus the crazy:

I agree too. Might be the insane number of people with breast implants in my life. Now all large breasts just look artificial to me.

*looks for moderators*
Huh... guess they are sleeping.

DoPo:

Legendairy314:

It was just meant to simplify what I was asking. What do you like that others don't and what do others like that you don't? Whether it's just because you don't get why people like certain things and dislike things that you do like is subjective. I'm not asking for an autobiography of sorts but just some general examples that seem relevant.

Myst is a beautiful journey through empty puzzle gardens. It truly not for everyone, as it's low on action.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here