Lament For The Fallen (Banned)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I genuinely miss Vault101. So much that, when it's time to sort out the brain lapses and speedy finger typo or sentence structure jumbles, I channel Bill Burroughs and call it art. Vault101 would have considered these faulty sentences to be perfectly valid, and it helps me cut down on being a grammar nazi. It's... sad, but refreshing.

I remember Boudica getting quite unhinged, erratic and aggressive in what seemed to be very little time. Not entirely sure what happened there. We didn't even agree on the taste of water, but I somehow managed to ignore or compartmentalize her input, so I pretty much still wonder what finally did her in. Not bothered enough to look it up, though.

Katatori-Kunt was starting to become a pet project of mine. His army of strawmen intrigued me. When he dismissed my very personal sexual experiences and preferences in favour of his own circumcised wiener and 'scientific fact', though, I basically started blanking him. It felt like 'if you woman person don't like mutilated wiener, and if you can't bring up scientific raw data to prove your point, then I am not interested in your opinion' - yeah, that shut me up alright. Ready to dance the riverdance on his grave until I grind his skull into the soil. Nothing personal, though.

Did I mention I miss Vault101?

I miss Vault101. Granted her spelling and grammar was crappy but it felt almost endearing. She had some strong views too.

74 posts.
74 posts and no one mentioned Pararaptor. Or LordCuthberton.
And I've only seen one mention of Swollen Goat.

Y'all disappoint me, Escapist. XD

Also, welcome back Zeel.

OlasDAlmighty:
So that's why I've been seeing all those vault101 graveyard avatars. It seems kinda dumb how people who post more often are more likely to get banned simply due to accumulated minor infractions. Instead of 6 months it should be after a certain number of warning free posts that you get a warning removed.

Ummm?

It's got nothing to do with how often you post. There are plenty of people with high post counts who don't have full forum health bars.

If we applied your method to giving out infractions, people would just spam "normal" posts until their health bar was clear, and then go insult whoever they want again, because they know they can just get it back to empty in no time. :/

These people won't get any sympathy from me. How hard can it be to follow a few simple rules and just behave yourself?

I don't mean to sound self-righteous, but I always read every post I type thoroughly to see if there's anything in there that might be in violation with the rules before I submit it. I suppose a couple of slip-ups is okay, but if you let them rack up and get you banned, you're clearly not the kind of person for a forum. Getting suspended should be a major tell-tale sign that you seriously need to re-evaluate your posting behavior.

I'm sure that some of the banned folks are nice people that mean no harm, but the same rules apply to everyone. It really isn't that hard.

Yan007:
Getting banned is probably something everyone here will go through eventually. It is inevitable.

With that attitude, yes.

Arakasi:

BathorysGraveland2:

Arakasi:
Wait... What the hell is the T word?

It might possibly mean "tranny". I got a warning for it in early 2012, ignorant that it was an offensive slur (I had previously seen transsexuals refer to themselves as "trannies" so I had no idea. Still got warned though). If it isn't that, then I have no idea.

Quite possibly is, but I'd be suprised if the moderation was that strict on it. I mean 'gay' or 'queer' is commonly a term for describing homosexual people in a derogitory manner, but it's really the context that it is said in that counts.

The T word he means is probably "Troll".

Calling someone a troll is a punishable offense. If you think someone's trolling, you just report and move on, or tell a Mod about it.

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

Before these kid's time, old man :D

Thankfully, there isn't that many mentions of MaxTheReaper either _

sky14kemea:

Arakasi:

BathorysGraveland2:

It might possibly mean "tranny". I got a warning for it in early 2012, ignorant that it was an offensive slur (I had previously seen transsexuals refer to themselves as "trannies" so I had no idea. Still got warned though). If it isn't that, then I have no idea.

Quite possibly is, but I'd be suprised if the moderation was that strict on it. I mean 'gay' or 'queer' is commonly a term for describing homosexual people in a derogitory manner, but it's really the context that it is said in that counts.

The T word he means is probably "Troll".

Calling someone a troll is a punishable offense. If you think someone's trolling, you just report and move on, or tell a Mod about it.

Perhaps, but the original post I quoted said that the person merely got a warning for "mentioning the 'T' word".
So I assumed that this would have to be a word which was forbidden regardless of context, and I could not think of such a word, especially in the 'T' section of the alphabet.

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

Or NoMoreSanity.
Although to be fair, he got banned right after I joined. :p

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

Pffffft, I loved Max. I kept up with him on twitter after he got the axe. You're just jealous that he was more popular than you. =P

Arakasi:

Perhaps, but the original post I quoted said that the person merely got a warning for "mentioning the 'T' word".
So I assumed that this would have to be a word which was forbidden regardless of context, and I could not think of such a word, especially in the 'T' section of the alphabet.

Oh, well then I have no idea. We usually do try to take things in context, though.

sky14kemea:

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

Pffffft, I loved Max. I kept up with him on twitter after he got the axe. You're just jealous that he was more popular than you. =P

Quiet you.

Besides, I don't get jealous, I get sexy.

Daystar Clarion:

sky14kemea:

Daystar Clarion:

Quiet you.

Besides, I don't get jealous, I get sexy.

Did someone say sexy?

I should probably actually add my own opinion on this thread now.

OT: If people really missed the banned users so much, why not just contact them another way? :/ It's what I did whenever someone I liked got banned.

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

So you DO miss people who've been banned?

sky14kemea:
Ummm?

It's got nothing to do with how often you post. There are plenty of people with high post counts who don't have full forum health bars.

If we applied your method to giving out infractions, people would just spam "normal" posts until their health bar was clear, and then go insult whoever they want again, because they know they can just get it back to empty in no time. :/

Then how about we don't use that the people who are disciplined for being offensive and insulting others? Or, I don't know, not leave the health bar stay there for six months regardless of the severity of the infraction? 7 low content/off topic posts out of almost eight thousand total and it's still going to be THREE YEARS before my health bar goes down to zero. (and that's if I don't slip-up again). Do those infractions really make me such a bad person that I need to be removed from the forums? I don't agree with Vault's banning (or that time she was suspended for quoting Yahtzee when talking about someone who isn't even a member of the site) but at least she WAS disruptive. And it really aught to count for something when the person you "insulted" doesn't want to see you banned for it.

DVS BSTrD:

Sassafrass:
74 posts.

Also, welcome back Zeel.

So you DO miss people who've been banned?

The people I'm friends with, yeah.

DVS BSTrD:
Then how about we don't use that the people who are disciplined for being offensive and insulting others? Or, I don't know, not leave the health bar stay there for six months regardless of the severity of the infraction?

I'm not a tech guy, but I can see that being amazingly complicated to code in. Besides, why should they get different treatment to everyone else? Everyone gets the same chances, and there are loads of people who've been here the same amount of time, if not longer, that haven't been banned yet.

7 low content/off topic posts out of almost eight thousand total and it's still going to be THREE YEARS before my health bar goes down to zero. (and that's if I don't slip-up again). Do those infractions really make me such a bad person that I need to be removed from the forums?

These forums are about discussion, so if that means we need to ask people not to spam images and post one word answers just to up their post count, then so be it.

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. It just means you need to think a little bit more before replying to certain topics. If people don't have anything to actually add to a topic, they have the option of not posting at all.

I don't agree with Vault's banning (or that time she was suspended for quoting Yahtzee when talking about someone who isn't even a member of the site) but at least she WAS disruptive. And it really aught to count for something when the person you "insulted" doesn't want to see you banned for it.

Again, that's something for the Appeals queue. Appealing for a perma-ban takes into account all your past infractions, as well as your general behavior across the forums. If she isn't brought back after appealing, then there's probably a good reason for it.

As we always say, if you have problems with the Moderation or Staff, you can always PM someone directly. You're far more likely to get an answer for it than posting in a thread. (Not that you have, just because of an earlier example, I feel it needs stating again).

Hehehe. Some of those made me laugh because they totally deserved it for being complete asshats all the time.

Sorry but it's pretty hard to get banned here, you get a lot of warnings and minor punishments first and whilke I can see the benefit to a shorter probation period, it would make more sense to just follow the two word rule that makes it all much easier to avoid: be nice.

Seriously, I've had one warning, it was for low content, just think before you post and never post angry... Do however post drunk, that's how we end up with the good old ignore threads.

Oh and Sean Hollyman is one that got permabanned for user group infractions and was fairly prolific.

Did Vault rack up warnings for user group infractions by any chance? I know that how Boudica and Matthew94 went.

DVS BSTrD:
... it's still going to be THREE YEARS before my health bar goes down to zero.

After 2 years, if you have recieved no mod wrath then your bar goes to zero regardless of where it started.

And as an aside, before I became a mod I'd been here for 4 years and had 20,000+ posts and not a single mod wrath to my name.
It's not hard.

I do not know any of those well, or at all *Vault i'v seen around before her ban*, so I guess I don't have much to say here, but why did Vault get banned exactly?

King Aragorn:
I do not know any of those well, or at all *Vault i'v seen around before her ban*, so I guess I don't have much to say here, but why did Vault get banned exactly?

She posted a picture of a crying baby in reply to another user. While the guy she replied to wants her back, it's up to the appeals queue.

So really, it's more of an accumulation of her past infractions that led to her perma-ban.

TimeLord:

DVS BSTrD:

After 2 years, if you have recieved no mod wrath then your bar goes to zero regardless of where it started.

And as an aside, before I became a mod I'd been here for 4 years and had 20,000+ posts and not a single mod wrath to my name.
It's not hard.

I used to have a blip on my health bar, but I lost it. You ain't bad like me.
By the way, I have your key.

sky14kemea:

DVS BSTrD:
Then how about we don't use that the people who are disciplined for being offensive and insulting others? Or, I don't know, not leave the health bar stay there for six months regardless of the severity of the infraction?

I'm not a tech guy, but I can see that being amazingly complicated to code in. Besides, why should they get different treatment to everyone else? Everyone gets the same chances, and there are loads of people who've been here the same amount of time, if not longer, that haven't been banned yet.

7 low content/off topic posts out of almost eight thousand total and it's still going to be THREE YEARS before my health bar goes down to zero. (and that's if I don't slip-up again). Do those infractions really make me such a bad person that I need to be removed from the forums?

These forums are about discussion, so if that means we need to ask people not to spam images and post one word answers just to up their post count, then so be it.

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. It just means you need to think a little bit more before replying to certain topics. If people don't have anything to actually add to a topic, they have the option of not posting at all.

I don't agree with Vault's banning (or that time she was suspended for quoting Yahtzee when talking about someone who isn't even a member of the site) but at least she WAS disruptive. And it really aught to count for something when the person you "insulted" doesn't want to see you banned for it.

Again, that's something for the Appeals queue. Appealing for a perma-ban takes into account all your past infractions, as well as your general behavior across the forums. If she isn't brought back after appealing, then there's probably a good reason for it.

As we always say, if you have problems with the Moderation or Staff, you can always PM someone directly. You're far more likely to get an answer for it than posting in a thread. (Not that you have, just because of an earlier example, I feel it needs stating again).

Thank you for the explanation of the rules spidermod, it always helps to have things clarified for people.

On the subject of Vault, I found her kind of annoying at times but mostly harmless, you'd think that knowing that you were on thin ice you'd think over your posts more.

And I can agree wholeheartedly with the option to not post, there's many a thread I've looked at, gotten quite riled up over, then just decided not to post, because all I'll do is venomously dismiss the argument and get myself in trouble.

Be nice. Simple.

Desert Punk:
I think you forgot Kumorikun

Huh, so it finally happened.
He never really learnt his lesson and just kept insulting people when debating, pretty sad too because even though I thought his points were mostly wrong he did have some interesting opinions that often showed the other side of the coin...
I don't know whether I'll miss seeing him around or not, mixed feelings here.
I do know I still miss Matthew94 and will miss Vault101, I shed a single manly tear for both of them.

Edit: The first sacrifice to this thread has been take...
R.I.P Doggie015
But now the question that everybodys asking, who is next?

Well, there was Gunsmith Kitten, got banned for having a go at Japan.

As well as Danyal...well, there was no proof that Drawde was a secondary account, it's just that the moment Danyal got suspended, Drawde popped up, with the exact same views, and also from the Netherlands. IIRC, there was only one other person from there posting in R&P. Oh, and Drawde had a question mark avatar, and stopped posting as soon as the suspension ended. Danyal definitely did have the other account "Danyal Reloaded", in which he had a poll on if him being banned was fair.

The other person from the Netherlands being Blahblab, who was banned more recently.

Oh, pro_family_lover was banned for horribly backwards views on things. Came back as piffle (which people used to call him the first time), got banned again.

IIRC, pro_family_lover was very good at provoking other people into getting modded. He'd say something about gays being evil and child abusers or something, which is sorta against the rules just not really enforced, and people would call him a troll or a bigot because of it, which is against the rules and strictly enforced.

Rest in Peace doggie015

You'll be missed.

Banned in this very thread

I've been caught on some minor infractions.

Both fair.
Broke the rules (stupidly but I did).
I sometimes wonder why someone gets banned here but usually I think it's fair.
And the mod even sometimes says what was wrong with the post.

Always a good thing.

thaluikhain:

The other person from the Netherlands being Blahblab, who was banned more recently.

There is/were a few more Dutch people around, but I'm not a very prolific poster either in R&P or in general, and Spinozaad has left R&P mostly I think. Don't see him around very often in there any more. There's a few more, but they don't seem to be the flag waving kind as strongly as Danyal and Blah were.

sky14kemea:

DVS BSTrD:

Because it's not as bad as insulting someone? At least if they're not spamming low content in every post. One of the biggest problems people have with this site is the consistency of mod wrath. Having the same punishment for every infraction can be very aggravating while other people skirt the rules by being condescending, provoking others, insulting people via proxy (i.e. "I know what my fiancee would call you if you suggested something like that...") or because the mods ignored a flag.

I get that. But even with all her infractions (deserved or not) I don't think that the forums are better off without her.

TimeLord:

DVS BSTrD:

And as an aside, before I became a mod I'd been here for 4 years and had 20,000+ posts and not a single mod wrath to my name. It's not hard.

For you maybe.
Sorry but it really aggravates me when people say things like this: "I've never had that problem so I can't see why you would". For a long time simple social interaction was something I struggled with. I don't WANT it to be a problem, but I simply CANNOT say I have control over it even now. If everyone could control their impulsiveness, the world would be a very different place. This just turned out to be one of the many things I'm bad at.

Edit: post 101... *sigh*

hazabaza1:

TopazFusion:

hazabaza1:

WAIT WHAT
I... I'm so confused. Y-you were.... I don't... BWUH.

There's always the possibility that it's Kross trolling on Zeel's account.

That's my headcanon anyway...

I dunno. Like, he's in a lot of other threads, posting... fairly similarly. I'm so confused.
Hopefully he updates his blog explaining what happened.

Whats to explain? The mods quite like me. Infact, I'm sleeping with one of them.

But for the people who are familiar with my charming persona and still want to ban me. I have one thing to say to that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc

DVS BSTrD:
Because it's not as bad as insulting someone? At least if they're not spamming low content in every post. One of the biggest problems people have with this site is the consistency of mod wrath. Having the same punishment for every infraction can be very aggravating while other people skirt the rules by being condescending or insulting people via proxy (i.e. "I know what my fiancee would call you if you suggested something like that...") or because the mods ignored a flag.

Ugh, I hate it when people skirt by like that. It annoys us just as much as it annoys you guys. :/

We don't ignore flags unless we feel it doesn't deserve an infraction, though Moderation consistency is always going to be a bit skewed. That's all down to human error, though. We're not perfect either.

TimeLord:

DVS BSTrD:

And as an aside, before I became a mod I'd been here for 4 years and had 20,000+ posts and not a single mod wrath to my name. It's not hard.

For you maybe.
Sorry but it really aggravates me when people say things like this: "I've never had that problem so I can't see why you would". For a long time simple social interaction was something I struggled with. I don't WANT it to be a problem, but I simply CANNOT say I have control over it even now. If everyone could control their impulsiveness, the world would be a very different place. This just turned out to be one of the many things I'm bad at.

Okay, that is something that we can't control. I get that everyone's different, and I think a lot of people on this site can understand how hard social interaction can be.

If you're only getting warnings for Low Content, then maybe you just need to step back a bit. Have a think about what else you can add to a post. (Without being silly and saying "This is for padding.")

Don't get me wrong, I don't exactly post paragraphs whenever I go into a thread. We're not asking for an essay. =P

Also, I WHOLE HEARTILY disagree with 'insulting' being worse than image macros/low content post. Whenever insults are thrown is because the person deserves it, aka acting like a massive idiot.

Where as low content posting and image macroin' is a clear sign of an unoriginal, unfunny jackass.

I remember Max the Reaper, Furbert and Julianking.

Those guys were HUGE.....what happened to Neonbob? Is he still still around?

The only name I recognize is Vault. Didn't know her well.
Even so, I think it's best these posters are gone.
You can't just say anything on here without acknowledging the rules.

But hey, if you miss these folks, I see nothing wrong with contacting them outside the site.

Zeel:
Also, I WHOLE HEARTILY disagree with 'insulting' being worse than image macros/low content post. Whenever insults are thrown is because the person deserves it, aka acting like a massive idiot.

Where as low content posting and image macroin' is a clear sign of an unoriginal, unfunny jackass.

That I actually can understand. Idiots be gone!

Oh? You're the famous Zeel? The same Zeel that made the forums erupt over Mass Effect 3?

Nice to meet you. You don't seem like that bad of a guy.

OT- I feel sad that I know all of them. And people forgot about cotss2012 and Regnes? Regnes was awesome, and cotss was hilarious at times.

I do believe that some people were unjustly banned, but most of them deserved it. I'm not going to go into it as I don't wanna be banned. See ya!

I notice a lack of MaxTheReaper on that list. He was mighty prolific back when I joined.

I kinda miss Vault101's grammatically awful posts, but only kinda. She was alright.

Daystar Clarion:
*snip*

If the mods ban you, they basically have a revolution on their hands.

Which I shall be a part of...

rokkolpo:
I remember Max the Reaper, Furbert and Julianking.

Those guys were HUGE.....what happened to Neonbob? Is he still still around?

Neither JulianKing93 or Neonbob have been banned. Neonbob has posted today and Julian was last on yesterday.

Me personally? I'm glad to see that the ban hammer's still strong and that the moderators are trying to keep tings sane and clean around here. Truth be told, the harshness of the mods is what attracted me to these forums in the first place. Hell I remember it used to be that you would usually see three to four bans a thread. It made the site civil and the people intelligent, I'm still of the old thinking and I believe that the forum health meter should go, and the old harshness return. Having said that I can see why they put it in place, mercy should be a virtue. I am a little sad to see Vault 101 go mind you, I really liked her avatar.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked