Lament For The Fallen (Banned)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Grenge Di Origin:

Drathnoxis:
Sober Thal

Lol, I personally thought he was a snobbish prick that called people "immature children". Was kinda pleased he got banned for a post that encapsulated everything I hated about him.

Ah yes, I remember him. Him getting banned was satisfying to say the least.

Atbird:

Grenge Di Origin:

Drathnoxis:
Sober Thal

Lol, I personally thought he was a snobbish prick that called people "immature children". Was kinda pleased he got banned for a post that encapsulated everything I hated about him.

Ah yes, I remember him. Him getting banned was satisfying to say the least.

*high fives* And here I thought that inbox message was a warning/ban notice.

I usually read the "permabanned last comments" and lately I've not seen anything worth being banned for more than a week or two. Permanent bans are a mistake, as they limit communication. Really ugly comments should be deleted downright, along with any quotations, not left for all to click and see. And 2-week bans should be followed by a week probation in which you are only allowed a post every 6 or so hours.

I've just come from Youtube and I need to take a shower after all the trolling insults I've tasted, so I do appreciate how civilized people are here. Yes I know that rules are a big reason for that. But I still don't agree with permabans, especially for people with a long activity here, no matter the reasons. And that animation is really insulting. I've yet to see any poster deserving such an insult in return for what they wrote (ok, maybe one or two).

I've seen people banned who I actually disliked, or just never agreed with them. But I admired the way they wrote, some taking a long time to write long posts trying to make people see their views. Aggressive maybe, but not insulting. How are people supposed to talk about sensitive issues? Go to Youtube? I had to abstain from starting threads that would've been worthless unless people were able to speak their mind freely without risking the hammer.

The concept of the permaban being rolled out for such minor infractions - even a buildup of minor infractions - seems ridiculous to an incredible degree to me. The purpose of a permaban is to eliminate someone who causes serious harm to the community. Hell, skimming what Gunsmith Kitten posted in the Jimquisition thread, I wouldn't consider that bannable. The Escapist's policy is very different from my personal perspective, but it still seems extremely excessive in my opinion.

Based on what I've heard in this thread about the way this place used to be, things sound much better. It sounds like it was a vile place to be.

I am positively terrible with remembering names...
But the most recent one was Draech.

Most of us who saw him remember him for single-handedly quintupling the usage of the word "Strawman" here on The Escapist.

Daystar Clarion:

I can't say I'm too fond of being the subject of everyone's sexual desire :D

Then rest easier knowing I have no such desires for you.
...Though that user behind you with the cloth and chloroform might.

The Sad part is we seem to have lost a few good posters to the Recent Sarkisian/femnism Fervor. It really touched a raw nerve with some folks who either got banned directly by it or they racked up alot of infractions leading to thier ban in other topics.

Hankman I have a feeling he is still with us in pun-loving spirit.

RedDeadFred:
I'm confused, how could anyone here possibly support Zeel? And how the hell did he ever make it back? He made a post on another forum trying to recruit people to come and troll the Escapist after his first ban. Did he hack the website or was this a mod playing a joke. I don't want to read through 7 pages to try and find an answer since he's already been rightfully put down again.

He used his 1 year gone appeal after being gone almost 1 year and got to come back and then die again almost immediately after.

sky14kemea:
These forums are about discussion, so if that means we need to ask people not to spam images and post one word answers just to up their post count, then so be it.

So are you saying that reliable post count metrics are far more important to have than meaningful, valuable members of the community who ever so often make a post that doesn't live up to a completely unimportant standard of quality and content anyways?

Might as well permaban me right now if you think a ban is warranted solely for low content posts. I don't see a single reason why Escapist has any need to chastise me for choosing the exact amount of time and effort I spend replying to a topic. If it's truly such a tragedy to have any so-called "low content posts" you might as well get the inevitable over with and apply some preventative medicine and permaban this account, because I'm going to continue to choose how much time and effort I spend replying to a topic regardless of mod opinion otherwise.

sky14kemea:
It doesn't make you a bad person at all. It just means you need to think a little bit more before replying to certain topics. If people don't have anything to actually add to a topic, they have the option of not posting at all.

What exactly is the difference between the two, besides "oh noes post count metrics"? Heck, at least a "^this" post points out that there is significant agreement so that the readers and posters can get a sense of perspective on the general consensus. Not posting at all accomplishes nothing, how can that be seen as better than a positive contribution, however minimal?

Dr. Cakey:
The concept of the permaban being rolled out for such minor infractions - even a buildup of minor infractions - seems ridiculous to an incredible degree to me. The purpose of a permaban is to eliminate someone who causes serious harm to the community. Hell, skimming what Gunsmith Kitten posted in the Jimquisition thread, I wouldn't consider that bannable. The Escapist's policy is very different from my personal perspective, but it still seems extremely excessive in my opinion.

Based on what I've heard in this thread about the way this place used to be, things sound much better. It sounds like it was a vile place to be.

You also gotta love how the content providers get a free ride for the kind of shit that would easily get us board members a warning. Watch the end of Yahtzee's Quantum Conundrum review and there's no fucking way you could call someone else here what he did without getting a warning or ban. It's fucking idiotic.

There's actually no one that I care for that's been banned. I must have some smart friends, since they are not dumb enough to continue doing what they get warnings for. Huh. I don't much care for those names on the list I recognize, and I don't even recognize half of them.

Devoneaux:
Meh, not to be a total stickler, but Mortai and Boudica got what they deserved, both of them were quite irritating on a lot of fronts. Boudica in particular in the way where she would completely ignore valid points in a given post in favor of cherry picking components that agree with her assertions was incredibly annoying.

Had to quote you on this. Of the list, I distinctly remember those two, and how I celebrated their bans. Of particular memory was Boudica's staunch multi-page defense (and thread hijacking) of how Hitler was a great leader who just happened to be a leader at the wrong place and time and that's what set him up for failure. Mortai... I can't remember any specifics, but seeing that screen name makes me a little angry for some reason, lol.

A lot of the people in this thread fail to realize that Boudica can return any time she wants. She asked for her ban and simply needs to ask to be unbanned if she wishes to.

tangoprime:

Devoneaux:
Meh, not to be a total stickler, but Mortai and Boudica got what they deserved, both of them were quite irritating on a lot of fronts. Boudica in particular in the way where she would completely ignore valid points in a given post in favor of cherry picking components that agree with her assertions was incredibly annoying.

Had to quote you on this. Of the list, I distinctly remember those two, and how I celebrated their bans. Of particular memory was Boudica's staunch multi-page defense (and thread hijacking) of how Hitler was a great leader who just happened to be a leader at the wrong place and time and that's what set him up for failure. Mortai... I can't remember any specifics, but seeing that screen name makes me a little angry for some reason, lol.

/Mortai'd

Anyone knows why Furburt was banned? Also, why would anyone ask for a ban? This doesn't make sense to me at all..

AWAR:
Anyone knows why Furburt was banned? Also, why would anyone ask for a ban? This doesn't make sense to me at all..

I can't quite remember why Furburt was banned, I think it was a case of breaking the "Don't be a jerk" rule, and for some reason something to do with user groups comes to mind, but I honestly can't recall exactly.

As for why people ask to be banned? A lack of self control really.

Some have asked for temporary bans when they have exams to study for, others don't want to be on the forums any more, but don't want to get themselves banned by breaking the rules.

A lack of self control is pretty much the only reason I can think of, seeing as the option of simply not visiting the website is viable. Unless they are worried about being hacked in their absence, but that seems a little too paranoid to be likely.

I hope I'm never banned. Yet I know if I am no obe will miss me cause what I like is diffrent from everyone elses.

Lionsfan:

tangoprime:

Devoneaux:

/Mortai'd

Shit dude...if I didn't know better I'd swear you were Mortai on a different account.

anthony87:

Lionsfan:

tangoprime:

/Mortai'd

Shit dude...if I didn't know better I'd swear you were Mortai on a different account.

Y'know, if that's the case, and people who are banned can just make a new account, what's the point of banning them in the first place?

Devoneaux:

anthony87:

Lionsfan:

/Mortai'd

Y'know, if that's the case, and people who are banned can just make a new account, what's the point of banning them in the first place?

That's where Kross comes in.

He's got....methods. It's kinda creepy really.

RedDeadFred:
I'm confused, how could anyone here possibly support Zeel? And how the hell did he ever make it back? He made a post on another forum trying to recruit people to come and troll the Escapist after his first ban. Did he hack the website or was this a mod playing a joke. I don't want to read through 7 pages to try and find an answer since he's already been rightfully put down again.

You've already got your answer on how he came back and what happened. As for that post on another forum, it wasn't him. Like, blatantly wasn't him, just someone he'd pissed off trying to get him in trouble. That's what got some of us (or at least me) annoyed about the ban. I mean, he made a lot of well deserved enemies, but he was one infraction away from being banned, and clearly didn't have the self control to avoid one for much longer. Pulling a middle school prank like that to speed it up was just pointless, not to mention scummy.

Captcha: Question Everything.

Alright, who flipped the sentience switch again?

Edit: Also, that post was made before his ban and was the official reason for it. It wasn't made after the fact.

Dr. Cakey:

I believe that Gunsmith Kitten wasn't banned in a Jimquistion thread. She was banned in the thread that was titled "Too much rape in anime is pushing me away" or something like that. I posted in that thread and I remember her banging on the Japanese.

Or maybe you weren't talking about what I was thinking. :-P

thesilentman:

Dr. Cakey:

I believe that Gunsmith Kitten wasn't banned in a Jimquistion thread. She was banned in the thread that was titled "Too much rape in anime is pushing me away" or something like that. I posted in that thread and I remember her banging on the Japanese.

As I skimmed the Jimquisition thread and was reading her posts, I wanted to read that topic, because come on, it must be amazing to read. Sadly, the Escapist 404'd me. Maybe the topic was so awesome incredibly and flametastically horrific that it got outright deleted?

Dr. Cakey:

thesilentman:

Dr. Cakey:

As I skimmed the Jimquisition thread and was reading her posts, I wanted to read that topic, because come on, it must be amazing to read. Sadly, the Escapist 404'd me. Maybe the topic was so awesome incredibly and flametastically horrific that it got outright deleted?

Yeah... It was fun. I'll just leave it at that and say that it was a dark day on the Escapist with that thread for some posters. >.<

Devoneaux:

anthony87:

Lionsfan:

/Mortai'd

Suspension-jumping and ban-jumping is a bannable offense. Usually when someone is caught ban-humping they are usually IP banned I believe.

Dr. Cakey:

It is sad when someone is banned for a low content post because of how easily it could have been avoided if they had made their post more in depth or explained their opinion a bit more. If a user was not suspended or banned because of a minor infraction it would just allow that user and other users with an almost depleted health-bar to continue doing minor infractions without punishment. It would not be very fair to other users who get a warning or probation for a minor infraction only to see users on their last block of health not get punished for it.

AWAR:

I think he asked for it cuz he said the site isn't fun anymore

Don't. Care. At all. It's a forum. I'll never see what people think others really bring to the forum. You will literally see that persons opinion if you just scroll down a few more posts from theirs.

Troublesome Lagomorph:

Sassafrass:

Redlin5:

Haven't heard from them in ages. They were fun folks to be around but I guess they got bored and moved on from us... :/

Ren was studying a lot, The Chinch comes and goes as he feels and Toast is still around on Steam and some FGs at times.

*Flies away*

I need his steam name then!
I haven't seen Toast in I don't know how long. Same with Ren.

Redlin5:

Troublesome Lagomorph:
I remember them all. Hey, what ever happened to Ren, Chinchilla, and Baby Eater/Toast?

Haven't heard from them in ages. They were fun folks to be around but I guess they got bored and moved on from us... :/

Quite a shame. I really liked them.

Toast is around every once and a while. I've seen him and Ren post in the SQSA thread and The Above User is A Troll thread every once and a while. Chinchilla just disappeared but shows up every once and a while. Vee doesn't come on the Escapist anymore and GG just up and disappeared.

OT: I remember a lot of those people on that list. Funny thing is a lot of them let their hubris get the better of them and would break rules constantly only to complain that they were being modded "unfairly." I miss some of them yes, but sometimes we just need to move on and remember that sometimes they make their own decisions and those decisions are what caused them to get banned. The rules aren't hard to follow and it's really easy to not get in trouble. I've been here for years and haven't had a single infraction.

It's a shame with Vault and Mortai they usually had interesting posts, I can't even remember why Mortai got the boot but I always thought Vault may not have deserved that, yeah the post may have been a bit insensitive but it didn't seem ban worthy, at least not permanent.

RaikuFA:
I hope I'm never banned. Yet I know if I am no obe will miss me cause what I like is diffrent from everyone elses.

*Whispers into ear* I'd miss you~

Fappy:
A lot of the people in this thread fail to realize that Boudica can return any time she wants. She asked for her ban and simply needs to ask to be unbanned if she wishes to.

IKR?

Having been someone who's asked for a temp suspension before, it's pretty easy to get it removed as long as you're polite about it.

Neronium:
Vee doesn't come on the Escapist anymore

She's running an RP.

Redlin5:

Neronium:
Vee doesn't come on the Escapist anymore

She's running an RP.

Well, tell her I said hi then. Seems more people are around but in the RP section now, which I'm not surprised.

So apparently, Neonbob is still around, just not posting. Good to hear. I remember Hankman, it's ok though because DVS BSTrD is picking up the pun slack.

I wonder if anyone would remember me if I got the hammer.

Neronium:
snip!

I didn't mention vee cause I sometimes talk to her on Skype.

Marik2:
blah

I'd be sad glad if you got banned.

Troublesome Lagomorph:

Neronium:
snip!

Marik2:
blah

Ah I can too, I thought you were referring to her being on the site. But yeah I do see Ren from time to time in the FG section, but in the old sunk threads.

Neronium:

Troublesome Lagomorph:

Neronium:
snip!

Marik2:
blah

Ah I can too, I thought you were referring to her being on the site. But yeah I do see Ren from time to time in the FG section, but in the old sunk threads.

Which reminds me that I haven't been doing my job in about a year now...

What about Akratus? I can't say he didn't deserve his ban, but whenever him and SajuukKhar were in the same thread (and they were, always) it became an infinitely more entertaining read.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked