Paraplegic Trapped on "It's a Small World" Ride

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2013/03/27/man-trapped-in-it-s-a-small-world-wins-suit.html
I don't really know what to say, apparently he was trapped on the ride for half an hour, and they couldn't stop the music. According to other news it took EMT's 3 hours to mentally stabilize the man.

(Can you listen to it 10 times and stay sane..?)

I hate to sound insensitive (okay, no I don't) but everything about this story is hilarious to me.

The only thing that could improve it is if you accidentally called the poor guy a paralellogram like my friend always does.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that the situation isn't as cartoonish as it sounds, it's just much easier for me to laugh at the silliness of the situation than to feel bad for someone I've never met.

Oh god. That is actually truly terrible.

I always said that damn song was some of kind of torture developed by Walt Disney to use on...well, everyone he hated.

Cheesepower5:
I hate to sound insensitive (okay, no I don't) but everything about this story is hilarious to me.

The only thing that could improve it is if you accidentally called the poor guy a paralellogram like my friend always does.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that the situation isn't as cartoonish as it sounds, it's just much easier for me to laugh at the silliness of the situation than to feel bad for someone I've never met.

'

I don't think you're being too insensitive. It's a funny situation, and one where there's no real negative effects.

The man is fine, and won an 8,000 lawsuit against Disney, so have a laugh

Holy crap.

That's a punishment I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Just glad the poor guy is ok. Also,I really shouldn't have clicked the link,got to see another example of callous filth when i read the comments...

That just sounds like hell. Whenever I go to Disneyland, that's the one ride I refuse to go on.

I weep for my parents, whom i forced to ride through this at least as many times as the poor parapalegic when I was like, 5.

Agreed, JC, agreed. That's terrible.

Seriously, that sounds like the worst form of torture available. I'd probably go crazy enough to kill something if I was there. Not pleasant to think about, even if the situation sounds like it came straight out of a Family guy cartoon. Hell, they'll probably put Joe in that position just to milk the humor from that situation.

I can barely stand that song for 10 seconds. That poor man! D:

Though it does make me wonder why he was on the ride to begin with....

WOPR:
According to other news it took EMT's 3 hours to mentally stabilize the man.

Is that really true? Because that does make it sound more hilarious than it is.

Then again, it is a song that can get stuck in your head, I guess.

This news story is a great example of tragedy vs comedy. It must have been awful to go through that -3 hours holy shit!- but the premise is so bizarre and hilarious.

Omygawsh that sounds terrible! That poor, poor man. Any ride but It's a Small World. That could drive someone insane D:

Now I have the song stuck in my head, damnit.

At Disney World Orlando I got stuck on Its a Small World... for 3 hours. They wouldn't let us get off the ride, and the song played for the first 2 hours... then it quit and all you could hear was the animatronic puppets clanking as they still moved to absolutely no music. CREEPY. I have yet to recover.
I feel for this person, and i can walk.

Now I think about it...this could be a great premise for a psychological horror movie. Like it starts driving the guy mad and he starts seeing things and can't be sure whether they're there or not.

AND THEN THE TRUTH; DISNEY HAS BEEN SACRIFICING PEOPLE TO A LOVECRAFTIAN BEAST WITHIN THE BOWELS OF THAT ACCURSED RIDE FOR YEARS.

This is kind of hilarious. Or a whole lot actually.

After listen to the music for a whole 6 second though, i can say, without a doubt, i would have killed myself.

Half an hour? That... Doesn't seem that long to be honest. Maybe like a full hour or 3 then I would agree but 30 minutes? Yeah it's a torturous, terrible song but it ain't THAT bad.

Ohhhh no wait, it's a 3 minute song then it loops... Fuck no sue them, sue them harder. An hour of that and I fear the trauma the guy would have. That is worse than having the UMVC3 main menu music on for half an hour nonstop. That is saying something. I have to have my TV on mute every time I boot up the damn game for fear of insanity.

Still it's funny. Tragic. But funny. Humour is weird like that.

I came into this thread expecting several hours after closing at the least. Half an hour with people attempting to help him and annoying music playing? Can't say I have any sympathy, sorry.

At the worst, that strikes me as one of those situations that sucks a little, and you're relieved when it's over, but isn't what anyone would reasonably consider "traumatizing". Pretty sure I endured several worse situations before I was five.

Mind you, I've never been paraplegic, and I've always been uncommonly unemotional.

I'm sorry, but this is freaking hilarious. I'd have gone completely insane as well.

WOPR:
snip

Before trying to hear the song for 30 minutes, I thought this was absolutely hilarious. I mean, this is pretty much the epitome of classic "torture" comedy, and the notion of that happening to a guy in real life had made my day.

Then I tried to listen to it myself. I lasted 30 seconds.

I now feel so sorry for that guy.I mean, I at least had the option to opt out. He was quite literally stuck with no way out, which I'm pretty sure is one of the new circles of Hell. If I was in his place, they would have found the safety bar ripped off, every speaker in the place bludgeoned to pieces, and Disney security would get reports of a naked hairy Canadian Viking running around screaming "IT'S NOT SMALL AFTER ALL!!!!!!!"

That ppor man, well at least he was compensated for it ($8,000). The ful story is here http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2013/03/26/man-trapped-in-its-a-small-world-wins-suit/

Would you prefer something from Monty Python?

I am really really displeased with myself for finding this hilarious and my sympathy goes out for the poor guy, but this simply made me chuckle.

Also,

WOPR:

This was the very first thing that popped into my mind, too.

DVS BSTrD:

Would you prefer something from Monty Python?

Camelot? Nah, let's not go there. It's a silly place.

I've got the song on my playlist, and legitimately enjoy it when it comes on. You people are overreacting a bit, in my opinion. No way the song is bad enough to be worthy of damages.

I lasted nine seconds. Nine.

I can only begin to imagine the horror. I'd have smashed my head against the leg rail to escape it.

This is pathetic. A guy gets stuck on a ride, just sitting there. And he gets eight grand compensation for it?!

This is a perfect example of the absurd lawsuit culture that is taking over america. Shit happens, but suing someone just isnt necessary.

These people are a joke.

I laughed at the story. I guess I am going to hell. Well at least I know what to expect (I made it halfway through).

Sanshou:
This is pathetic. A guy gets stuck on a ride, just sitting there. And he gets eight grand compensation for it?!

This is a perfect example of the absurd lawsuit culture that is taking over america. Shit happens, but suing someone just isnt necessary.

These people are a joke.

On one hand I agree with you 30 minutes is no big deal, and being on that ride is voluntary. All jokes aside the song isn't that bad, and having actually been on it it's actually kind of neat.... the first time, though I have had the odd, nightmarish thought of people's souls trapped in those dolls for all eternity, looking out through the eyes as the ride goes by unable to move, as that song plays again and again...

On the other hand the guy is paralyzed, and Disney makes a big deal about it's handicapped assitance and so on. The fact that they were unprepared to get this guy off the ride, when they put him on it, is kind of a big deal in of itself. The exact ride is irrelevent, leaving someone stuck for 30 minutes while they wait to "get around to it" is more or less the kind of abuse laws covering the handicapped are intended to prevent, and Disney in paticular makes a point in their promotion tot hat crowd of saying they are well suited to handle and prevent.

My big question here is more along the lines of if this guy is so badly handicapped that he cannot get off a ride on his own, where his caretaker(s) were during this. Technically anyone allowed to care for a person like that should be able to help them get in and out of chairs and such like those on a ride as a matter of course.

Pfft.

My dad got stuck on the ride for four hours and the only compensation he ever got was the dollar that he would make me and my siblings pay anytime we sang it in the car.

Only three hours?

That must be the strongest man in history?

scorptatious:
Holy crap.

Even if the enemy came out 8 grand richer?

I might be willing to sit on a boat and listen to it 10 times if I could get $8,000.00 dollars for it.

MorganL4:

scorptatious:
Holy crap.

Even if the enemy came out 8 grand richer?

I might be willing to sit on a boat and listen to it 10 times if I could get $8,000.00 dollars for it.

Hmm. Good point.

Although I don't think he went through this willingly. :P

I'd go through it for 8 grand.

Waffle_Man:
Pfft.

My dad got stuck on the ride for four hours and the only compensation he ever got was the dollar that he would make me and my siblings pay anytime we sang it in the car.

Therumancer:

But your dad doesnt have a disability (does he?) so he cant pull the victim card instantly.

Sanshou:

These people are a joke.

On one hand I agree with you 30 minutes is no big deal, and being on that ride is voluntary. All jokes aside the song isn't that bad, and having actually been on it it's actually kind of neat.... the first time, though I have had the odd, nightmarish thought of people's souls trapped in those dolls for all eternity, looking out through the eyes as the ride goes by unable to move, as that song plays again and again...

On the other hand the guy is paralyzed, and Disney makes a big deal about it's handicapped assitance and so on. The fact that they were unprepared to get this guy off the ride, when they put him on it, is kind of a big deal in of itself. The exact ride is irrelevent, leaving someone stuck for 30 minutes while they wait to "get around to it" is more or less the kind of abuse laws covering the handicapped are intended to prevent, and Disney in paticular makes a point in their promotion tot hat crowd of saying they are well suited to handle and prevent.

My big question here is more along the lines of if this guy is so badly handicapped that he cannot get off a ride on his own, where his caretaker(s) were during this. Technically anyone allowed to care for a person like that should be able to help them get in and out of chairs and such like those on a ride as a matter of course.

Very good point, whilst his actual "ordeal" was just sitting down with some annoying music. The response by Disney was rather poor.

What confuses me is that someone with this condition is going around Disneyland without someone there to care for them.

Now reactionary new safety regulations will prevent paraplegics from ridding the its a small world ride... so a net gain for humanity :D

Capcha: Antwoodren: Op vakantie met MasterCard

i dont speak dutch asshole >.<

sky14kemea:
I can barely stand that song for 10 seconds. That poor man! D:

I understand completely, I made it through 22 seconds of the song before I needed to stop it and listen to miracle of sound.

I actually had a co-worker throw an empty pop bottle at me for accidentally sending the link to the song, and not the article. It wasn't pretty.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked