47.1% (169)
Other
7.5% (27)
7.5% (27)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Run?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hello Escapists!

A few years ago I started getting into running. Originally it was just to get some exercise and try to stay in shape (I had to counteract all the gaming and movie watching somehow). Before long some friends had talked me into running a 5k race. I've since gotten into the long distance running and am planning to run my first marathon.

What I've noticed over the years is that more and more runners seem to be coming out to races of all lengths. It seems like increasing numbers of people are taking it up and I was curious how many of us on here run and how much. So, where do you fall on the running spectrum and what motivates you to do it?

I did a lot of running in high school and college. In high school I did track and cross country. For cross country I would run about 8-10 miles every day, for track it tended to be about 4-8 miles a day of sprints, hurdles, and steep hill running.

These days since I no longer run as a sport I tend to run for exercise on the weekends, and I run 5 miles every Saturday and Sunday on trails near my house. I tend to take a pretty fast pace, and finish the 5 miles in just about half an hour.

Where do I fall on the running spectrum? IN THE FRONT, BABY!! WOO!
I run cross country and track for school as well as a few 5Ks here and there. I love it, personally.
I know a lot of people can't imagine how running could be appealing for anything but staying fit, but it really does give you a euphoric feeling to just let loose and embrace the outdoors for a while.

I also plan on participating in a marathon some day. Good luck running your own.

Eh.....kind of but the more truthful answer is no. :)

I play/coach soccer and play Ultimate Frisbee during the not-snowy-time (fucking Minnesota...there's snow on the ground! Mother Nature, it's Spring you bitch!). So I do run a lot but I do not "just" run.

I've only ever done one half marathon but I mostly do 5k runs. Any more than 7-8 clicks and I get pretty fucking bored.

Nope. I do hike up mountains though. And bike.

For some reason when I read the title my imagination immediately conjured up "Bro, do you even RUN?"
Anyway.
I hit the treadmill probably once a WEEK.
I'm very out of shape with *some* motivation to do better but not enough to actually do anything about it.

I only run well jog when I heading back home from work since it's normally it take me 20mins to walk back home. By running/ jogging I can at least cut the time by 1/2 or 3/4 since I can't run all the way due to being unfit.

My brother on the other hand can run longer as he do it as a regular excersie. I'm pretty sure he will do a marathon one of these days as he seen almost ready for one.

I have a bad hip, bad lower back and bad ankle, so that would be a no. Walking is painful enough, thank you.

I also have the stamina of a FPS protagonist. I can sprint for a few seconds, but then I'm about ready to pass out. Been like that since I was young. It's always been a pain. Can walk for a couple miles on a good day though before the pain in my hip and/or ankle and/or lower back starts to become unbearable, though walking that much puts me out of commission for a couple days. I try and walk for about a mile every few days. Some time next month, I'll try for 1 1/2 miles, see how I do.

Usually, I only run when I need to get across the street and a car is coming or the light is about to change. Sometimes run in order to catch a train, when I'm in a bit of a rush, or if it has started to rain and I don't have an umbrella. Used to run fairly frequently, but now I rarely do. Tried to last night and I wasn't able to go half a block before I got winded. Need to try to get my stamina back up.

Running.

I do it whenever I'm outside, because it's quicker and less boring than walking.

But I really don't get why people would do it as a hobby, or how they can enjoy it.

It looks just as dull and brainless as swimming and rowing, and wanting to breath more air in when your lungs are already full, and while your legs ache from a lack of oxygen, is so uncomfortable.

Come to think of it I find a small satisfaction in exerting my will over that discomfort, but it's not something I'd run exclusively for.

Taking a look back at other posts in this thread, someone mentioned that it's great to let loose and embrace the outdoors.
I guess that means that some people enjoy space and displacement itself.
I still don't "get it", but people get satisfied by different and often weird things.

SanAndreasSmoke:
Where do I fall on the running spectrum? IN THE FRONT, BABY!! WOO!
I run cross country and track for school as well as a few 5Ks here and there. I love it, personally.
I know a lot of people can't imagine how running could be appealing for anything but staying fit, but it really does give you a euphoric feeling to just let loose and embrace the outdoors for a while.

I also plan on participating in a marathon some day. Good luck running your own.

Thanks! I appreciate that. I agree with you though, running does make me feel better. I started out just to keep in shape, but now I think I'm addicted. I don't get to run as much in the winter months and I hate it. It's good stress relief. Good luck with your running as well!

torno:
For some reason when I read the title my imagination immediately conjured up "Bro, do you even RUN?"
Anyway.
I hit the treadmill probably once a WEEK.
I'm very out of shape with *some* motivation to do better but not enough to actually do anything about it.

Haha! No, I don't think I've ever used the word "bro" in my life. I do have a hard time staying motivated in the winter because I have to rely on treadmills. I prefer the outdoors, but this is the price I pay for living in upstate New York.

Coppernerves:
Running.

I do it whenever I'm outside, because it's quicker and less boring than walking.

But I really don't get why people would do it as a hobby, or how they can enjoy it.

It looks just as dull and brainless as swimming and rowing, and wanting to breath more air in when your lungs are already full, and while your legs ache from a lack of oxygen, is so uncomfortable.

Come to think of it I find a small satisfaction in exerting my will over that discomfort, but it's not something I'd run exclusively for.

Taking a look back at other posts in this thread, someone mentioned that it's great to let loose and embrace the outdoors.
I still don't "get it", but people get satisfied by different and often weird things.

I understand that. It took me a while to really enjoy it when I first started. Somehow it has become a hobby now (There may be something wrong with me). You're right though, it doesn't take much thought. I think that's part of why I like it though. It gives me time to just think about things. While it's exhausting and pain inducing, it does make me feel good.

It's a summer activity for me.

I'll have a run when it's nice out. I don't wanna do it in the cold.

I had to pick other. I run about 3 miles once or twice a week. I dont find running in itself fun but it helps my cardio in martial arts which I do find fun.

I can train longer and harder in the things I like because I run in my spare time.

ellers07:

Coppernerves:
Running.

I understand that. It took me a while to really enjoy it when I first started. Somehow it has become a hobby now (There may be something wrong with me). You're right though, it doesn't take much thought. I think that's part of why I like it though. It gives me time to just think about things. While it's exhausting and pain inducing, it does make me feel good.

It does the opposite for me, it's kind of like meditation. I just relax and focus on my breathing and empty my mind of everything else. Then before I know it I've finished the run, and even though I'm tired and sweaty I feel refreshed.

I run - i try to get in 70-85km/week all year (although being in Canada I switch to snowshoeing in the winter).

I usually do a couple of half marathons every year, but this spring my plan is to do more speed work and see if I can hit some personal bests in some of the local 5k and 10ks.

It helps to have a hunting dog and family/friends/etc who are runners as well though - I can see it eating too much of your free time otherwise.

Coppernerves:
Running..

I love being outside - because I run, I know my neighbours, I know when the different wild animals migrate through or come out of hibernation, I get to watch the plants change with the seasons. Running makes me feel connected to the rest of the world.

And it lets me challenge my friends and gloat if/when I best their times.

I run for professional reasons and mostly for time. I can do about a 3:15 k, 9:00 for 2.5 ks and I do 5 ks in less than 20 There is a lot of room for improvident

I currently run for exercise, but not by choice. Unfortunately I gained enough weight over winter to be considered at risk of failing my PRT. The funny part is I actually was exercising regularly before this (swimming, not running) and had only gained that weight because I just ate a lot (like, A LOT a lot). Even then, I actually didn't gain that much.

Personally I suck at running, which is convenient because I also fucking hate it. Swimming is actually fun for me and I'm good at it, so I'm glad I can opt to swim my PRT in the Navy instead of running (though I had to run the first few, which sucked). I keep reminding the people who tell me I need to get better at running that, in fact, I do not, but they seem to forget that often. Oh well.

I hate running, but right now for me it's the most viable way for me to lose some weight. I find it helps me keep my depression in check when I work out, and seeing that number go down on the scale gives me great delight. I used to lift a lot, being a former football player, and trying to refocus my workouts away from weights and on to cardio has been really tough. I'd much rather play basketball or something to get my cardio in, but being as I just moved to my neighborhood, I don't know anyone yet to get any kind of pickup games going.

We'll see though. Maybe when the weather warms up some (and I feel more comfortable about myself) I'll hit the pool and do laps.

So, I run, but in very short distances because I'm really out of shape.

Nope. Hate running. Didn't like it when I was relatively fit, like it even less now that I have to stop for a coronary every few minutes. I do understand why people like it though, there's a certain sense of freedom in being able to run, plus the exercise related endorphins. It's the same reasons I like biking (plus it's faster!)

Crap. I was hoping this would turn out to be a Pokemon thread. Anyway, I went with "Only when chased," but I'm disappointed that "Only when chasing" wasn't an option.

I started getting into it, and then I hurt my knee (not even by running; I slipped on ice while walking to school). It's fine now -- it wasn't that serious -- but I haven't started back up again. I really should, although I know that in less than a month I'll be biking about half an hour a day in addition to being on my feet for 8 hours.

I played tennis for a long ass time and a lot of the training was running (speed and endurance). It was terrible.

I quit a couple years ago and tried to run on my own, and it's just an unpleasant experience in every way. Your legs hurt, you can't breather, you get blisters if you don't put way too much money down on nice shoes, it takes a long time (the only reliable way to fit it in each day is getting up early, and fuck that shit), plus you're sweaty and tired for like an hour afterwards and you'll most likely be sore for at least a day. You have to be either really fit or really committed to becoming really fit.

I probably might be considered the expert here. Despite being a hardcore gamer and otaku. I've been running for almost 20 years. I'm trying bump my base up to 70 miles a week. I was born to run. That's all I can say. Running for me is how my body expresses itself. My motivation is simply to get faster and run farther. I hope to become an ultra runner some day, but it's all about how much the body can take. My average pace is about an 8 minute mile, but I can do a mile and about 6 minutes. I'm still trying to get that sub 20 minute 5k. Hard stuff and I'm trying to currently aim at a 3:30:00 marathon.

Not bad for an african american. I'm somewhat of an annomily whereever I go.

Edit: Nothing beats the sense of speed I obtain when I'm hitting that 7 minute pace. Mix that in with some good music such as speedcore. It's better than sex!!

My dumb ass started smoking last year, but prior to that I used to run 14k 3 times a week.

Need to start again and soon, I have a police physical coming up in 2 months, need to get back in shape.

only when I'm catching a bus.

I don't run just for the sake of running, I hate that. When I run it's for sport and I would maybe run between 5 and 10 km's during the match.

Evil Smurf:
only when I'm catching a bus.

I used to chase after buses for a challenge. Strange I know!

I run a little on the treadmill every time I am finished with my workout schedule. I usually go 20 minutes with medium intensity (12,5 km/h 1,5% gradient) because my back can't handle high speeds. 2 minutes of running high intensity and my back is killing me. I intend to run a marathon at some point just to have done it. I could probably finish one at this point, but I want to finish with decent time too.

I'm an excellent sprinter. Seriously, don't even think about running from me. I've only ever jogged for health reasons, to help reallign my lower back and neck after I was forced off the road once and rolled my car. I'm kinda on a health kick though, decreasing soda intake, exercising more. When the weather warms up, I might possibly jog a mile a day. It doesn't hurt that the area I live is very rural woodland where deer overpopulation is an actual thing.

I run if my safety requires it. Otherwise, I'm a bit too lazy.

No, but I cycle, bushwalk, and most importantly for internet purposes, I lift. Running for me isn't an exercise, it replaces walking.

Only when I need to get somewhere quickly, otherwise I don't bother.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked