"Dear Customer, it is my pleasure to inform you..." (A Venting Thread)

Pages PREV 1 2 3

MagunBFP:

SaneAmongInsane:
Union shop. Raise freeze for the next 5 years. Yeah I can move on to a position with more responsibilities but I wouldn't be getting a raise with it. so "raising my goals" there makes no sense to take on more work for the same pay. Can't leave, I'll never find another job that's this accommodating with the schedule.

Define annoyance. Cause really? You'd really care the person ringing you up didn't treat you like you were the beacon of your day? No I doubt that, unless the cashier was deliberately giving you a bad attitude (which I don't, I'm polite, I'm just not going to go the extra mile), you won't give a damn. You'll be happy you have box of Oreos.

I hope you're fine then after 10 years, only ever having been in an entry level position. It sucks that there are no raises allowed for the next 5 years, but while getting a new job title and more responsibilities with the same pay sucks it at least shows you're developing skills, which is useful in getting other better jobs down the track. This is of course only useful if you don't intend on being a cashier for the rest of your life.

An annoyance, as in someone who is causing extra work, who's presence is preferred anywhere but infront of you, this often presents as indifference. I never said I wanted to be treated like "the beacon of anyone's day" I just don't want to be treated like I'm just thing you have to deal with. Not sure if its happening in America as well, but alot of companies, especially banks in Australia have been distancing themselves from the "customer is just another number" type of service. Even when it comes to banking the point is to have you feel like you're an individual and different from everyone else. No one actually believes it, but when you get good service from somewhere you go, when you get bad or indifferent service it doesn't matter where you go. So yeah I'd be satisfied I've got my Weet-Bix, but I'd be happy I got served by someone who at least seemed happy to be there.

I'm an English Major in college so I'm pretty much screwed anyway.

Personally, I hate it when they pretend that they like what they're doing. Because they don't, I can't even imagine the pyschopath that would actually enjoy working the customer service desk... I mean I probably would because I'd just give the customer whatever they wanted. I actually have coworkers that trying to enforce the policy of making sure the customers don't take extra bags. They get into shouting matches with them, and I'm like really? We make minimum wage, it's not worth it.

grey_space:
The Doorman Rises

That was class, right there. You are not only a prefessional, but a man of wit and charm and cleverness.

Grant Stackhouse:
A whole lot of stuff

Man oh man, I know your pain. Long ago I used to sell PCs. And even worse, I sold them at Best Buy. The job itself wasn't the worst I've had by any stretch, but the standout idiots always stay with you. Like people who wanted the cheapest thing on the shelf then balked when they found out they couldn't upgrade a single component AFTER I TOLD THEM THIS FACT.

The list goes on and on and I won't bore the rest of the thread with long winded tales of retail trauma. But know sir, that I can relate to your struggles in kind.

Total LOLige:
Bloody hell, the only fish that's sold over here is cod in batter so there's no need to go into specifics when ordering. I'm sure the fancier chip shops sell more kinds of fish but most chip shops I've been in only have one option.

Ironically I think cod is the one fish we don't sell here [Unless there's another name for it and I'm just stupid or something].
All the fish and Chips shops I've worked for have sold Flake, Blue Grenadier, Barramundi, Flounder, King George Whiting, Barracuda, Hake and one of them sold snapper as well. Flake is the most ordered, and what's considered the default fish [Or shark, or whatever actually goes into our lot of flake], but Blue Grenadier is fairly popular too. Greek owned fish and chip shops seem to love having a variety of fish. Probably are a few around that just sell Flake, but they're usually milk bars that just conveniently sell fish and chips too.
On a related note: just survived the Good Friday shift. Thank god I was on counters rather than the fryers.

Johnny Impact:

Stryc9:
You'd be surprised at how many people under 30 aren't computer literate in the least. This guy I've worked for in the past has two kids who were constantly not only fucking up their own computers, but then after theirs were well and good screwed up going on to fuck his up too. Both of them are around 18-25 and they're both blooming idiots when it comes to computers. They constantly go around the internet downloading every single "Free movies and TV" toolbar and every other malware scam on the internet. They continuously fall for this shit, clicking on the "win a free iPad" banners and all and then not understanding why the computer doesn't work right any more.

I'm in the unfortunate position of not being educated or certified in PC tech support while still knowing more than most of the people around me. As a result I am constantly asked to diagnose/fix their computers. A typical question goes like this: "My computer has gotten really slow. Can you tell me what's wrong?"
1) Not without looking at it

Which is immediately followed by accusations that you either don't know what you're taking about or are just trying to squeeze money out of them right?

2) It could be any combination of a dozen different things
3) No, I cannot give you an answer in 25 words or less which will be a snap for you to remember and do yourself, if that were the case you would already have fixed the problem. I can give you a list of fixes to try, but the fact that you asked that question in the first place means you won't be able to use it.
4) No, I won't come to your house and spend hours trying to fix it for free!

Never fix computers for family and expect to get paid for it. It doesn't end well and they just spend all their time criticizing your knowledge.

grey_space:
Not at all thank you! In hope that this doesn't derail the thread, I'll tell you this one story. It's a bit long and I don't know if you'll find it funny but it's one of the reasons I vented about me not being Batman :)

Just as a bit of background I work in a student late bar in a big student town. The general demographic is a bit hipster so the dress code is VERY informal and the customer care attitude in this place is 'casual'. Less 'Good evening Sir' and more 'Hey man hows it goin'.

So I give you The Epic Tale Of Crazy Ronan and Stoner John:

Oh fuck, that was brilliant. If you have anymore, do tell. This thread is as appropriate as it gets for funny work-time stories. +Respect good sir.

You know what I love in Customer service...?

"Why do I have to go through all of this information for an RMA? My time is valuable, I don't have time to be talking with you over the phone! Can't you just do X for me? I'm too busy to be going through this shit!"

Well, if you're that much of a slack-ass, you should be looking to change the policy then. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and answer the goddamn questions. I got all the time in the world to hear you vent and whine like a little bitch, if your time is as valuable as you say, you should answer the goddamn questions. They're required.

That one was from my previous position. I hate where I'm at now. Anybody use a Secure Remote Proctor?

I work for a cleaning company at a mall. Usually after the mall closes we have to mop the food court. The unfortunate problem is that people wait till the LAST MINUTE to buy food and eat it. I'd like to tell all the customers who do this that IT'S CLOSING TIME SO GET YOUR FOOD AND GET THE FUCK OUT SO I CAN DO MY JOB!!! Have a nice day! :)

Also, I'd like to tell all the inconsiderate jerks that walk all over the floor when I'm trying to mop....THAT I'LL BEAT YOU TO WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE IF YOU'RE NOT MORE CONSIDERATE!

What's so fucking hard about walking around the area i'm trying to mop. Is my job so insignigicant that people just pretend that I don't exist? Seriously!

I work in a vintage video game store part time.

1) "I paid $60 for this game! You're trying to rip me off!" - The reply I hear all the time whenever I tell people how much I'm willing to pay for a used copy of a newer release, and in some cases, for games that are several years old that sell for less than $10 used. My prices depend on demand, how many I have in stock, the condition, my competitors, and the price they go for online. I do my damnedest to give you an accurate price that's fair for both of us.

I help run an independent small business whose continued existence depends on the profits made on stock that others bring in to trade/sell - if you want the full price of the game, you can go through the hassle of selling it privately yourself. Have fun trying to find a buyer for Dora the Explorer for PS2. In the meantime, we have rent, employees, and taxes to pay, accessories and repair parts to order, along with special items for our regulars that cannot be found in your local Wal-Mart or EB Games.

2) "Why won't you take this? Just give me $10 for it and it's yours." - I don't want your garbage. I don't want your scratched up sports games that I would only sell for $1 each, and would have to spend $3 in materials to fix before I could do so. I don't want your cheap crappy accessories and plug-in-play systems that never sell and take up valuable space. I don't want your busted up controllers, broken consoles, corroded game cartridges, cracked discs, bootlegs, and other assorted filthy junk that would require a tetanus shot and several hours worth of labour to clean/repair.

Go to a recycling centre; they are there for a reason.

3) "Can I return this game/system? I didn't like it." - Fuck you. You want to rent games? Go to Gamefly. We have giant policy signs everywhere that say it, not to mention it says right on the receipt itself: exchange ONLY for defective product ONLY. I say the policy every single time I sell something to someone. You want to know what a game is like? Use the internet: at home, on your phone, at the library, at a Wi-Fi hotspot, etc. A big box store might put up with your entitled bullshit, but a small independent store like us can't afford to give you FREE rentals just because you are too incompetent to do your own research.

I am lucky that with the alarm montioring that I do sice nmy dad is an alarm tech I have picked up a lot of troubleshooting tips, however...

When you tell soemeone multiple times very basic information. Like where the alarm is going off, and they ask 'Where?' and this gets repeated more than twice, I can feel my stress skyrocket...

I just wish people paid a little more attention to the information they are told as they need to know it...

grey_space:

SaneAmongInsane:

...Oh dear god, this one left me in stitches sir. I have this mental image in my head of a bouncer reading off each line and this one made me laugh.

I have to ask what experience this one is based off of.

Nouw:
That was incredibly insightful and amusing to boot. Thank you.

Do you have any funny stories c:?

Not at all thank you! In hope that this doesn't derail the thread, I'll tell you this one story. It's a bit long and I don't know if you'll find it funny but it's one of the reasons I vented about me not being Batman :)

Just as a bit of background I work in a student late bar in a big student town. The general demographic is a bit hipster so the dress code is VERY informal and the customer care attitude in this place is 'casual'. Less 'Good evening Sir' and more 'Hey man hows it goin'.

So I give you The Epic Tale Of Crazy Ronan and Stoner John:

You, sir, are AWESOME. If we ever meet, it would be my pleasure to buy you a drink

ObsidianJones:
-Snip-

I recently joined a gym and got a personal trainer and thought I'd have him for a while, get what information I could and then go it alone. I can tell you, I am not letting go of him! Every single session, I learn something new and my workouts are just so much better in every possible way when he's there. Being broke most of my life, I've often scrounged up what health and fitness information I could without shelling out large sums of money and it was just never enough. I now hold a great respect for personal trainers and the benefit they hold, in terms of information, assistance and pure motivation. I'm keeping mine as long as I can afford to!

Working in retail and hospitality, I've always been prepared for dumb customers with an inflated sense of what they're patronage is worth and I've had some gems, but mostly it's been okay. The one thing I dislike more than anything is the assumption that I don't care about people and am just there to make money. Now I know that might be true at the McDonalds down the road but at THIS restaurant (which, something else that pisses me off, is often regarded as fast food just because we do take away), we are here to provide a service, we would not be working here if we didn't want to. I mostly just hate people making assumptions about my character and that of the business because it's a franchise of a large restaurant chain and so everyone involved is just a vacuum cleaner trying to suck up all the money they can.

Then there's the quality phrases that customers blurt out when they think it'll get them what they want. "I'm never coming back here again" is one that still just baffles me as to why people think it holds any real threat anymore. Chances are if you're saying that, you're the type who'd only disrupt everyone elses evening whenever you came in.

Colin Bagley:
I had my boss tickle me once.
It was the last day before we were all fired at Christmas, So I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

...Um what? No seriously, did that happen or was it just a really bad dream?

Sadly, not a dream.
I was Agency staff for a certain company that I probably can't name. At a warehouse, so thankfully very far away from the actual customers.
My job was to check the Online Orders made by customers however. And I felt sorry for loads of Kids. Plenty of parents would buy a particular gaming system (Nothing for anybody over the ages of 4, so nothing worth remembering.) With a selection of games for the particular gaming system 2.
There must have been loads of kids who got upset because their parents bought them the Metaphorical equal of PS2 Games for a PS1.

I Worked as a christmas elf the previous christmas, so I seem to have made all my wages so far, on handling gifts for children.

Stryc9:

Johnny Impact:

Stryc9:
You'd be surprised at how many people under 30 aren't computer literate in the least. This guy I've worked for in the past has two kids who were constantly not only fucking up their own computers, but then after theirs were well and good screwed up going on to fuck his up too. Both of them are around 18-25 and they're both blooming idiots when it comes to computers. They constantly go around the internet downloading every single "Free movies and TV" toolbar and every other malware scam on the internet. They continuously fall for this shit, clicking on the "win a free iPad" banners and all and then not understanding why the computer doesn't work right any more.

I'm in the unfortunate position of not being educated or certified in PC tech support while still knowing more than most of the people around me. As a result I am constantly asked to diagnose/fix their computers. A typical question goes like this: "My computer has gotten really slow. Can you tell me what's wrong?"
1) Not without looking at it

Which is immediately followed by accusations that you either don't know what you're taking about or are just trying to squeeze money out of them right?

2) It could be any combination of a dozen different things
3) No, I cannot give you an answer in 25 words or less which will be a snap for you to remember and do yourself, if that were the case you would already have fixed the problem. I can give you a list of fixes to try, but the fact that you asked that question in the first place means you won't be able to use it.
4) No, I won't come to your house and spend hours trying to fix it for free!

Never fix computers for family and expect to get paid for it. It doesn't end well and they just spend all their time criticizing your knowledge.

I fix my parents' computers for free because I visit them often and their problems are usually simple. Teaching my mother how to use the rubber stamp brush in Photoshop is easy enough.

I would never actually charge anyone money to fix a computer. I don't have to. I just mention money and they say forget it. Works every time.

Johnny Impact:
I would never actually charge anyone money to fix a computer. I don't have to. I just mention money and they say forget it. Works every time.

This sort of thing ticks me off.

Why do people always want you to do extra work for them for nothing? I tell people not to say what I do for a living, because no matter what, people are always hitting me up for advice.

I used to be nice, but people try to invite themselves along with my personal work outs for their own benefit. I eventually got sick of it and made a 'joke' answer of "First question is free, and the rest will cost 5 bucks"

One person got snippy that I wouldn't tell her how to get everything she wanted and asked "How do I get into Bikini Shape?"

I responded with "Change your life."

This one doesn't apply to me anymore as I don't work at Disneyland anymore but......

You are looking at the goddamned restroom/lockers/attraction/store sign. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ASKING ME WHERE IT IS?

This was particularly rage inducing with the lockers sign on Main Street. I used to work the fruit cart which is quite literally right in front of the HUGE sign that says lockers. Guest asked where the lockers were one day when I was working. I looked at them. Looked back at the sign. Looked back at them. Walked backstage and told my lead I can't deal with stupidity anymore and went to the bathroom to splash water on my face and calm down.(This was also after a day of 50 billion stupid questions half of which were where are the lockers?)

I work seasonally at Halloween Haunt as a Haunt monster. I have a character that I play that changes year to year depending on where I am. This is a culmination of the last two years.

I like the people coming in going "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GET ANOTHER JOB."

Yeah because jobs that don't deal with the idiotic populace are so easy to get. They're not. Trust me, if I could get a job where I didn't have to deal with people, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I can't. Most of those, you need a goddamn degree, and those are expensive. And even with a degree, you are not guaranteed a job, you need to somehow get a network going so people can give you a heads up on shit going on, or refer you to people, etc.

The only reason we have these jobs is because we have this really expensive hobby called LIFE.

So fuck the hell right off and let these people vent for fucks sake Jesus Christ. It's not like they're throwing balls into people's faces when they get annoyed, it's why they're venting HERE, to get that pent-up annoyance off their chest.

Dear dollar store customers,

Yes. Almost everything is a dollar here. If an item is not a dollar, it's less than a dollar. No, there is no catch. Nor does anything cost more than a dollar. This place is called a "Dollar Store" for a reason.

Quit asking me the obvious.

Sincerely,
Skywolf09

Total LOLige:

On a somewhat related note I hate ordering from fast food chains because they ask too many questions about your order. Can anyone that works in Maccie Ds tell me if there's like a script you have to follow. I feel dead awkward when I'm dead specific and say "Can I just have a double cheeseburger please, thank you" and then get asked whether I want a drink or the new Mc Chicken Shit Artery Clogger 3000(it's never that specific, that's just for comedic effect). How am I meant to order? Should I be as vague as possible and just say "food please". I'm not attacking anyone that works in the food biz for this, I imagine employees are meant to push you into buying extras and all that. I don't work in customer service(or work at all) but I admire those that do because you've got to take a load of shit for just doing your job, good work you're a credit to our awful species. I'm sure it won't be long before I have to feel your pain but I do have quite a high patience so maybe it won't be that bad. Also all these IT related posts are making me chuckle.

Having done my time earlier in my life at the house that Ronald built I guess I can answer this. It's not an exact script, per se, but there is constant pressure to "upsell" customers. You are ALWAYS to ask the customer if they would like fries with that, something to drink, an apple pie for dessert... and on, and on.

I remember getting a little annoyed with my manager lecturing me on not doing this as, like yourself, a customer had made it clear they wanted only what they ordered. I didn't want to insult them, or seem like I wasn't actually listening. Such is life, I suppose.

TakeyB0y2:

2. The girls who work in the back assisting the doctors are NOT nurses! They can't prescribe you anything, they can't give you samples without your doctor's permission, they can't diagnose you or even tell you what they think about your recent exams, diagnostic imaging, ect. An no, they will not bend the rules of our scheduling system so you can see the doctor earlier even though he's busy.

May I ask what are their official title if they are not nurses? What is there actual job and how is it different from being a licensed medical practitioner?

Joccaren:

Total LOLige:
Bloody hell, the only fish that's sold over here is cod in batter so there's no need to go into specifics when ordering. I'm sure the fancier chip shops sell more kinds of fish but most chip shops I've been in only have one option.

Ironically I think cod is the one fish we don't sell here [Unless there's another name for it and I'm just stupid or something].
All the fish and Chips shops I've worked for have sold Flake, Blue Grenadier, Barramundi, Flounder, King George Whiting, Barracuda, Hake and one of them sold snapper as well. Flake is the most ordered, and what's considered the default fish [Or shark, or whatever actually goes into our lot of flake], but Blue Grenadier is fairly popular too. Greek owned fish and chip shops seem to love having a variety of fish. Probably are a few around that just sell Flake, but they're usually milk bars that just conveniently sell fish and chips too.
On a related note: just survived the Good Friday shift. Thank god I was on counters rather than the fryers.

Multiple fishes in UK fish shops isn't unusual but a fish and chips order will get you the shops standard, generally a portion of chips and some battered cod. 8/10 it will be cod (or at least a cod substitute). There is variation in whether the larger size is considered the standard or the smaller size.

Skywolf09:

Yes. Almost everything is a dollar here. If an item is not a dollar, it's less than a dollar. No, there is no catch. Nor does anything cost more than a dollar. This place is called a "Dollar Store" for a reason.

Sincerely,
Skywolf09

I can kind of understand this one, as there are "dollar stores" where things cost more than a dollar (and that's without adding sales tax). Though prices tend to be clearly labeled, so it's still a bit silly to ask rather than just looking around.

I remember at my job we were training this new guy and I had to leave him unsupervised for a couple of minutes. I came back to this woman shouting all sorts of abuse at him, so I promptly asked him what was going on and he said something like "I told her the price was X, that's right yeah?" He was right. So I said to the woman (please keep in mind she was using a very aggressive tone.)

"Yeah, that's the price."
"Well I think it's ridiculous."
"Cool, but that's the price, so it's up to you."
"Fine I'll pay it this time but we'll never be back."

In what world does she think I could give a flying shit as to whether or not she comes back? You madam, are a cunt of the highest order and I certainly would not miss your patronage. So fucking pay me and get out my face.

Not G. Ivingname:
May I ask what are their official title if they are not nurses? What is there actual job and how is it different from being a licensed medical practitioner?

There are several different grades of nurse with different limits as to what sort of duties they can perform; where I live Nurse Aids are at the bottom and are not allowed to do anything with medication and can only check basic vitals (they usually function as the grunts that do heavy labor and handle messes), then there's Licensed Practical Nurses that can hand out medications and do more thorough vital checks, and then there's Registered Nurses that can give injections, perform basic medical evaluations, operate IVs, and so on. The duties vary based on region and licensing requirements as well as place of work.

Back on topic: I generally try very hard to avoid work that involves a lot of customer interaction. I briefly worked for a large video rental chain and having to deal with people trying to talk their ways out of late fees or lie to try and use other accounts pushed a lot of my buttons.

I don't work with customers as I work in a greenhouse/plant nursery where non-employees are not allowed. So most of the idiotic things we get are from new co-workers.

"Oh it's so warm" No it's not. It's a sunny day in December. If you think this is warm, I wonder what you'll think when it's August and we hit 35 C with high humidity and no wind.

"I don't want to wear these boots as I'll look stupid". Our greenhouse back then was a muddy, watery place, so our boss provided us with watertight work boots that we could use throughout the day. The new kid wore expensive clothing and shoes and was more concerned with his image than his work. When the girl that was training him noticed he couldn't avoid the waterpools properly, she suggested that he could pick up the boots from our boss. But no, he thought that would look too dumb. He then proceeded to be an ass to the girl training him the entire day - putting in headphones when she wants to give instructions, trying to make her lose balance so she'd fall in the mud, etc.

Then there was the half-stoner who, along a wide variety of other things, decided not to come with me (I was his "trainer" for that day) but walk a good 300 meters to the other side of our greenhouse to smoke - smoking in a greenhouse full with plants and sulfur as antimycotica.

Sigh. You'd think that people knew that greenhouses aren't exactly sterile, room-temperature work environments. Yet, far to often we still get new people complaining about the heat or the dirt and thorns.

Stryc9:

COMaestro:

If you tell me you have backed up all of your data, I am going to assume you have backed up all your data when I wipe your computer to upgrade it. Don't cry to me when you are missing data.

This. So much this. Especially when these people should know where all their files are stored and know how to copy them to somewhere else.

Grant Stackhouse:
I'm sure the IT guys on this forum have plenty to say, so I'll keep my complaints short.
5) Being under 30 and claiming to be "computer illiterate". Well, perhaps I'm being unreasonable here. It's not like these things were around when you were growing up. Oh...wait.

Preaching to the Choir!

Not G. Ivingname:

They're just medical office assistants, which is what I am too. They just work more closely with the doctors. I went to school for just 6 months to become one, and all you get is a certificate. Essentially it's just administration work, only you have to help prep exam rooms and do urine dipstick analysis (which is easy; little squares on the stick change color, a paper tells you what each color means for each row of squares, then you record it).

BrassButtons:

Skywolf09:

Sincerely,
Skywolf09

I can kind of understand this one, as there are "dollar stores" where things cost more than a dollar (and that's without adding sales tax). Though prices tend to be clearly labeled, so it's still a bit silly to ask rather than just looking around.

Technically, those are not dollar stores at all. A dollar store is a store where everything is a dollar or less, not just a store with "dollar" in the name like the kinds of stores you mentioned.

Plus, where I work, we have big signs all over the place that clearly say "Everything's 1 Dollar". So customers truly have no excuse to have to ask the price of things in the shop.

ObsidianJones:
I have to work. Which sadly means I have to deal with people. Currently I'm a personal trainer, and I deal with a lot of... 'ideas' that I'd love to voice to the clientele, but of course I can not. Luckily I now work with people who are a little more knowledgeable about what a trainer actually does, but it wasn't always the case. The spoilered thing below is just some of the questions or statements I always wanted to respond to before I quit.

Ok, I can go on for hours, but I'll stop here. So, in your vocation, what are some of the things you'd love to tell the clientele that they just don't seem to get?

I don't have anything to vent about but I just wanted to say that you sound like an awesome trainer. I recently hired a biokineticist to help me get one of those "toned" builds. He's nice, he made a workout program for me but he went through all the exercises with me.

I just have one complaint; that thing you mentioned about people only getting the exercise right "in the moment" and doing it wrong after? That's what I'm worried might be happening to me. Isn't he supposed to schedule another appointment or something to make sure I remembered the exercises correctly?

I'd hire you if I could. :(

Johnny Impact:

3. DO NOT HASSLE US OVER TAKING A BIT OF INFO. We use a computer ordering system. It requires certain pieces of information, in a certain sequence, before it will allow an order to be entered. If you do not give us this information, you will not be ordering. If you blurt out your order right away, expect to repeat it after we take your info. We do not control the program. We are not doing this to give you a hard time so don't give us one. JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.

4. DO NOT MODIFY EVERYTHING AT THE VERY END. If you say "Smith" at the beginning and then at the end say "Mary will pick that up" you better make sure Mary knows the order is placed under Smith because the name can't be changed at the end. Do not say, after placing a very long order, "and I need all of these to have fill-in-the-blank." Doesn't work that way. Often we will have to re-enter the entire order so it will price correctly -- and yes, we are going to make you wait while we do this. If you have a request that applies to the whole order, TELL US AT THE BEGINNING, we can incorporate it as we go.

Hey there,
I don't really order food but it sounds like your ordering system could use a bit of an update.
The ability to add a, I don't know, large coke? to each order should probably just be as simple as clicking an extra button.

I'm not trying to question those rules, I agree with them completely.
And I also know your not in charge of what programs you are made to use or protocol/procedures you have to follow.
But you'll get idiots, especially if a portion of people ordering are drunks. (I'm being quite presumptuous here.)

Anyway, I still agree.

Black-Toof:

Johnny Impact:

3. DO NOT HASSLE US OVER TAKING A BIT OF INFO. We use a computer ordering system. It requires certain pieces of information, in a certain sequence, before it will allow an order to be entered. If you do not give us this information, you will not be ordering. If you blurt out your order right away, expect to repeat it after we take your info. We do not control the program. We are not doing this to give you a hard time so don't give us one. JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.

4. DO NOT MODIFY EVERYTHING AT THE VERY END. If you say "Smith" at the beginning and then at the end say "Mary will pick that up" you better make sure Mary knows the order is placed under Smith because the name can't be changed at the end. Do not say, after placing a very long order, "and I need all of these to have fill-in-the-blank." Doesn't work that way. Often we will have to re-enter the entire order so it will price correctly -- and yes, we are going to make you wait while we do this. If you have a request that applies to the whole order, TELL US AT THE BEGINNING, we can incorporate it as we go.

Hey there,
I don't really order food but it sounds like your ordering system could use a bit of an update.
The ability to add a, I don't know, large coke? to each order should probably just be as simple as clicking an extra button.

I'm not trying to question those rules, I agree with them completely.
And I also know your not in charge of what programs you are made to use or protocol/procedures you have to follow.
But you'll get idiots, especially if a portion of people ordering are drunks. (I'm being quite presumptuous here.)

Anyway, I still agree.

Fortunately we finally have a system that allows us to do any task in any sequence we want.

We've had 3 other POS systems, all of which were obviously designed by people who had never been anywhere near a restaurant or a customer service position. They had little to no idea what we needed. We're pretty sure one program was designed for hotel registration and some fly-by-night programmer attempted to shoehorn restaurant functions into it. We had another program that couldn't even record addresses for delivery orders! Seriously, what kind of clown programs software to allow delivery but not record addresses?? Disastrous! I could go on.

All in the past now, we are 98% satisfied with our new POS.

Like a few here, I'm also an IT engineer, and yeah occasionally you get some stupid comments.

A good one from yesterday:

"Hi, is there any reason why all the computers are slow today?"

My retort: "Why yes there is. They are all ill from eating too much chocolate over Easter."

I also love it when you are doing standard installations at desks, and your told you need to set up 5 computers and 5 hard drives, which they say smugly because they think they know what a hard drive is. I always explain that the monitors aren't computers, and the hard drives are storage devices within the PC chassis, but they never listen.

Luckily where I work has a large technical and design team to develop the website that is our business, so the idiotic comments are few and far between.

Don't expect any special treatment from me just because you're friends with the manager. I see hundreds of faces a day, there's no way I can remember all of them. And no I can't give you a discount without the manager's ok.

I work in retail as a part timer and my little gripe is minor compared to everyone else's here. But I swear, the next fucking customer to spend 39p on a bottle of water and pay with a £20 note, when we've literally just opened the store and put my till on, is gonna get a "Next customer please" sign thrown at their heads, and don't you fucking dare glare at me, or otherwise get pissy when I have to give you the £19.61 change in £1 coins. We do not start with any kind of paper money in the till. Don't want a load of coins? Then don't buy the cheapest fucking thing in the store and pay the biggest damn note in your pocket and don't try and justify yourself by telling me you've "Just been the cash machine" because that is even worse! You've deliberately taken out a twenty pound note knowing full well you weren't going to spend that much!

Seriously... this has happened so many times now I have an irrational hatred of twenty pound notes. <_<

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked