What do you do?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reading David Wong's famous Cracked article (http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/) made me wonder, what do you do?

What's your special talent? What role do you play in the great game of life? If, when forced to name one concrete thing, would you label as your contribution to society?

I design t-shirts for people.
I cloth society in trendy ripoffs of whatever happens to be popular at the time.
People around me really love race cars.

Edit: I love the amount of sarcastic, yet truthful responses in this thread.

I design and build websites for my employer. I also get paid to manage social media accounts for people who want to advertise businesses through social media but don't have the time.

I'm on the computer 24/7 :D

This reminds one of the Vorlon question (of Babylon 5 fame) "Who are you?". It does not ask for your personal identity, your standing, your titles, or anything validated by others. It asks of your true essence, if you understand yourself...AS yourself.

This question seems similar, and the best answer I can give is this: I do what I can.

I'm a keg in the great machine that alone would be nothing but in what we call society keeps it running, as one small part besides everyone else!

I've had a test week so the BS is flowing xD

Considering I'm a high-school student without a proper job, I don't think I contribute to society in any particular way. Having said that, I'm an alright cafe 'bus-boy' and can play the clarinet.

I'm a video game design student. I go to college and think about nothing except video games, drawing, 3D modelling and currently animation when I'm in college and when I'm not I'm thinking about nothing but video games, anime and all the work I should be doing. I make no contribution to society since I'm currently jobless.

Was that what you were after?

captcha: diddly-squat. It summed up what I give to the world so elequently

I purchase consumer goods and services, thus contributing to keeping the economy ticking over and helping fund the UK government coffers. Aside from summer work I am a student and therefore a future human resource for our capitalistic system. I await your grateful quotes.

DrRockor:

It was indeed! Incidentally, what sort of subjects did you pursue/ are you good at? I'm thinking of getting into game design myself, but I've always been better at the artsy side of things than the logical. I'm useless at the maths and sciences.

Are those types of subjects necessary? Or can one learn advanced programming without being good at logical subjects?

I make films, 3D models, and I plan on making games. Unfortunately I'm not getting any income from those yet :/

I'm in college studying to be a chemist. The hope is to eventually eventually get my PhD and work away at an academic institute somewhere. I don't really think I'm going to revolutionize any particular field of study but I can at least contribute a little bit of thoughts and experience towards it. Every little bit helps, right?

But as of right now I haven't contributed much to society just yet. Just your typical lazy college student.

Evil Top Hat:

DrRockor:

It was indeed! Incidentally, what sort of subjects did you pursue/ are you good at? I'm thinking of getting into game design myself, but I've always been better at the artsy side of things than the logical. I'm useless at the maths and sciences.

Are those types of subjects necessary? Or can one learn advanced programming without being good at logical subjects?

Stuff I'm good at? Well, in school I was pretty into science, I was doing a A level in biology for a year and came to the conclusion that I was in the wrong field and went for the game stuff I do now. I'm a alright artist, good enough to get an offer from a university with it anyway. Pretty amazing since I only started working at it about a year and a half ago.

I do the art and design stuff more myself but it is useful to have a basic knowledge of stuff like programming, modelling etc. If its game design specifically, knowing about lots of stuff makes it easier to get across your ideas in a design document.
I haven't really done a massive amount of stuff with programming, I've dabbled in scripting in unity and using actionscript in Flash nothing further than that. Sorry I can't tell you more

I'm a university student. That is to say, I contribute nothing. I major in English, because it's the only field in which I could get decent grades by playing videogames instead of studying. It seemed like the obvious choice back in high school, and my English teacher thought so too.

Now I'm studying to be a translator, but I honestly couldn't be less enthused about it. I really just want to write a single piece of fiction that affects somebody as profoundly as certain works have affected me. Then I can die happy. I also spend a whole lot of time toying with RPG Maker, as it allows me to combine my passion for game design and storytelling, even though I'm a terrible artist and know next to nothing about programming. Publishing one of those would be nice too, but I doubt there's much of a market for them.

Lately I've been thinking of dropping out of school, just doing whatever jobs I can find to pay the rent until I hopefully get at least something published.

Because in my non-expert opinion, you don't hate yourself because you have low self-esteem, or because other people were mean to you. You hate yourself because you don't do anything.

Nail, meet head. Mine specifically.

I make 3d models for games. Some other stuff is involved, but mostly that.

I'm a university student right now; gunna study international relations with a focus on the middle east. Otherwise, I'm a giant anime/manga, heavy metal, and videogame fan and am trying to experience as much of those fields as possible. Also, I love reading about war history and strategy, and read all sorts of books in the field.

I respect David Wong; he's a smart guy, but I don't really concern myself with "contributing to society." I'd drive myself crazy if I woke up every morning thinking "what service can I provide the world today?"

But... I am currently serving in the US Navy, so I guess I am contributing. But it's entirely incidental; I just needed a job when I dropped out of college.

I merely aspire to do things I know I can't do right now.

24 soon... I've spent eight years in three different colleges on four different courses.

Britain is also going to hell right now for the able-bodied young folk from stable households that can sit down and churn out a portfolio in a day (like I used to before I got really sick).
What chance have I got?

I guess despite that, the only thing I know I'm doing to make a difference is advising others younger than me that have Asperger's too. Make sure they're not going where I am.

But then again, I'm not to blame for all of this. I'd already be at uni or in a Japanese language school by now if anybody had listened to me complaining about my dizziness and weakness from a younger age.
I could've skipped the past four years of going around in circles.

In and out of different hospital outpatient departments and taking on courses I couldn't finish.

I'm a set designer. I build worlds!! :D
...Mainly because I hate this one :/

I rescue and rehabilitate sick and injured Australian wildlife. Without me, hundreds of endangered, rare or at risk animals would have died. I have made a big difference, and I am proud of it. Especially as I have a serious mental disorder and at one time I thought I'd never be able to work again.

Nothing.

Realised a good few months ago that what I'm doing in college isn't actually what I'd like to be doing in terms of a living, said realisation has killed all motivation to actually do well and the only reason I'm still there is some warped sense of pride.

Also is it just me or have the last few David Wong articles been preachy as fuck?

I intimidate people by being obviously armed and very alert. Used to kill people (and drive big trucks, replace disposable modular components on aircraft, clean out basements, scrub rocks, yell at other people who also did all of those previous things for a living...). That's a step up, right?

I mean, I'm good at building stuff, but not so as an automated manufacturing site would notice. I'm good at fixing stuff, but one doesn't need to be to replace disposable modular components... and that doesn't pay worth a shit.

That cracked article reminded me of a line from a Pierce Brosnan Bond film, for some reason... "You're a dinosaur, James."

Also, I took a very different lesson from Glengarry Glen Ross than that author did... sales is one fucked up bloated business that really needs to calm the fuck down. I blame cocaine and theoretical money. If all of society was really like that, I'd say fuck society and live off the land. Thankfully, not all of it is... just the worst parts of it. The ones that need to die. Now excuse me while I go back to milling another disposable smoothbore barrel for a Glock... I kid, I kid...

Absolutely nothing. I am serious. Due to some recent health problems I had to drop out of school and move back in with my parents, leaving me all the time in the world to do nothing.

And I fucking hate it.

I used to think that doing nothing all day would be amazing, until I realized that I have nothing to do all day. I am getting agitated and restless and I just need to do something. I am actually looking for a job just to do something.

I don't. Sure I'm going to college, but it's not for my real talent. There is no contribution for what I do best. For what I do best is destabilization. I don't destroy or kill, I can just see the perfect way to ruin anyone's "good thing"... or "bad thing". If it's stable, I can make it unstable, and I can even gain an inkling of how long it would take me.

And I try to avoid that because I'd make nothing but enemies. I'm sure if I got to practice my talent, I'd probably get good at destabilizing entire organizations. But I don't, partly because I choose not to... but mainly because there's not a lot of call for destabilizing work as a living.

In concrete terms, I do absolutely nothing! (I don't have a job, and I write stories in many forms, but don't really move to publish or anything.)

But in the more philosophical sense, I guess I help people. I got really in with the homeless in my city and I've set up something of a homeless underground with safehouses everywhere, detox locations for when they need it, and help systems, so they can work together to improve basically everything. I'm kind of drifting from that, but they know what they're doing now, so they don't really need my help anymore.

^^ What even is this? What's the point of these spambots that spew complete gibberish? I mean... Why?!

*EDIT* Geez, I'm so slow. Not referring to norashepard of course.

I make people laugh, or, failing that, I annoy the shit out of them in the attempt.

I really do think that's the best thing I can do with my existence.

excalipoor:
^^ What even is this? What's the point of these spambots that spew complete gibberish? I mean... Why?!

*EDIT* Geez, I'm so slow. Not referring to norashepard of course.

Well I'm offended anyway! Except not at all. But I share your sentiment, I keep seeing these bots all over and they're just so pointless. I don't even understand what they are accomplishing other than helping people reach a slightly larger comment count on their threads, which is a good thing.

I am a combat medic in the U.S. Army. I am attached to an infantry platoon and went to Iraq in 2011. My battalion was the last unit to leave Iraq and we literally shut the gates behind us when we rolled into Kuwait. My contract expires in a couple years and plan to go for game warden in my home state.

"I dance and drink and sing,
'til some blind hand shall brush my wing."
Literature cookies to those who get that one.

More real answer, I'm fantastic at massage therapy, but I couldn't make any money at it, so
I'm slogging away at my "day job", working as part of a group beating a 'home-brew' table-top RPG
in to publishable form, and designing a board game on my own.
I'm also good at making people laugh in the moment, a skill I have developed and polished over the
years in hopes of making many people's days less crappy.

Little Woodsman:
"I dance and drink and sing,
'til some blind hand shall brush my wing."

Oh! Oh! A mosquito? No, a moth? Geez, I don't know. A fly?

I draw and make cartoons, I get small pay for that while I work as a bus boy on the side, and am actually being considered to get officially hired by Disney to write/come up with new ideas once I turn 18 and create one series in particular very soon (outside of Disney... its not exactly "family friendly"). And I'm still in high-school.

In other words I'm an entertainer. Making people happy, yeah. I can live with that.

I am a stay-at-home mother for my one year old. I guess that means I don't really contribute, unless she ends up being President of the Universe or bringer of world peace or something. In that case, I contribute my time and loins to the betterment of society. I plan on adopting when she gets older, so that's contributing too I think.

JoJo:
I purchase consumer goods and services, thus contributing to keeping the economy ticking over and helping fund the UK government coffers. Aside from summer work I am a student and therefore a future human resource for our capitalistic system. I await your grateful quotes.

Thanks for wording my current status so elegantly.

I am an Arts student majoring in philosophy and psychology.

I study chemical engineering and I'm quite good at it. I train judo and I can beat anyone that's roughly my size and who doesn't compete on national level. I contribute to society by not making and releasing deadly neurotoxin into said society.

As it says in my profile: "I draw buildings", draftsman, architect-light, building planner, designer, whatever you want to call it.

So my contribution/detraction to society is in the monstrosities I design that actually get built...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked