What do you do?

Pages PREV 1 2

I am a Language student studying Japanese and Italian. Other than that I spend my spare time trying to find a job in a low socio-economic environment, I live in a town that was foolish enough to focus on tourism and farming, farming has now died out and the town lacks any prospecting tourist. But I digress, I am good at making people laugh not that you could tell from my morbid tone, this sounds foolish but I am guess I am good at emotional stuff like sensing people's moods and realising when a situation is going bad.

Yep that's about it.

I stock shelves, lift 50KG boxes, clean, trim, prep fruits and vegetables, and pull multitonne pallets at the local Superstore Produce department and Model and Animate commercials for a local animation company while building up my portfolio so that I may get a job in a larger animation studio.

I'm still in university, though I'm less than a year away from graduating now.
My current contribution to society, if you can call it that, is the writing of video game reviews for a small e-zine. It's my small way of giving back to the gaming community by providing entertaining and informative articles untainted by industry manipulation.
Once my studies are complete I shall move on to educating generations of future whatevers. I'm going to be a teacher, which is (in my eyes) a big service to society, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

As a student, I leech money from the state, to support me studying music few people care about. When I'm done, I'll be leeching money from the state to work with music few people care about. Probably also educate the next generation of people leeching money from the state to work with music few people care about.

Apparently, I am a leech on society.

I mow lawns and move things from one place to another. That is what a gardening job is.

Then I'm usually too tired of the world to do anything else. I don't really like to talk about musick or anything else that I do like that, because I find most musicians to be insufferable.

i translate and can do aromatherapy.
I think aromatherapy, facials and body massages will be my fall back job.

I play video games, watch anime and write stories when I have the motivation.

I've been a NEET for 8 months and I have a girlfriend overseas in college. As much as I want to feel like I'm doing more, a job is not only hard to get now (since I'm disabled and travelling 3 times in 12 months) it will also put severe constraints on the time I can talk to my girlfriend who does need my emotional support.

I'm anxious about my future, but this is what I can do for now.

I keep bees in my spare time so I produce life sustaining honey, and pollinate fields.

I'm an entertainer, more than anything. I always have been, and I'd say it's an important enough role in society.

I'm a burgeoning impersonator. I'm getting more decent impressions under my belt at a slow, but steady rate. I don't have a job, but am constantly on the look out for opportunities to spam the ol' CV. So until then, random talents it is.

I'm also a writer, though I have only one very minor publication that I hated writing. People shouldn't use future tenses to validate themselves (Oh, I've done fuck all so far, but come back in a year, I'll...) but I'm going to take a year out to write a novel, assuming I can get my shit together and get my A levels. If not, I'll just use the year to take a whack at that. Then university, and then a stint in the Royal Marines. Coming out of that, I'll have skills for practical jobs, for if I'm not successful in developing a solid writing career.

Planning, yo!

Seriously, I should get a job assisting people in finding direction in their lives... :D

I can also live off the land, fully independently. When the weather clears up, I'm going to practice a few things. Stone knife making, bow making, cordage making, etc...

By day: I am a college student, pilot, and aspiring UAV pilot, technician, and flight test engineer.

By night: I am a photo lab technician.

I know, right? My nights can be a little dull...

I work on bringing games to people live on TV. It's hard to describe unless I actually show you what I'm doing, so you'll have to take my word for it, it's not a slacktastic job most of the time.

I can also translate, teach math/physics, and drop trivia left and right.

Binnsyboy:

I'm also a writer, though I have only one very minor publication that I hated writing. People shouldn't use future tenses to validate themselves (Oh, I've done fuck all so far, but come back in a year, I'll...) but I'm going to take a year out to write a novel.

Great to hear. I have an interest in writing myself. Out of curiosity, have you had any experience in writing fiction before? Have you attempted to write short stories or novels in the past?

If not, I would advise giving it a go now. I speak from experience when I tell that writing is a lot harder than it looks, and every author I've ever heard talk on the subject has said their first novel was dreadful. I've had a few goes, not with any great success.

I hold myself tight and whisper "Nobody likes you" while I eat jar after jar of jam. This keeps me from hurting people. You're welcome, society.

Also, I write for a decently successful pop culture website called Trash Mutant and people laugh at my jokes on there and pretend to be interested in the people I interview. I'm good with making people laugh.

Evil Top Hat:

Binnsyboy:

I'm also a writer, though I have only one very minor publication that I hated writing. People shouldn't use future tenses to validate themselves (Oh, I've done fuck all so far, but come back in a year, I'll...) but I'm going to take a year out to write a novel.

Great to hear. I have an interest in writing myself. Out of curiosity, have you had any experience in writing fiction before? Have you attempted to write short stories or novels in the past?

If not, I would advise giving it a go now. I speak from experience when I tell that writing is a lot harder than it looks, and every author I've ever heard talk on the subject has said their first novel was dreadful. I've had a few goes, not with any great success.

I've had my heart set on a writing career since I was 12. I'm 18 now. What do you think? :P

I still have a letter from the editorial team at Walkers Publishers. Dumb child me sent them the opening to a throwaway fantasy manuscript.

I do character concept art and dabble in sequential storytelling and storyboards.

I am a Museum and Gallery attendant......it's not as dull as it sounds honest!

Just me or does this look like someone got halfway through making an afghan and then just gave up?

OT:
I build homes for people people to live in (construction), while going to school to learn how to one day build computers to put in those homes (computer science student). I also help people from around the world communicate with each other (modern languages student)... though admittedly most of my translation services have been rendered in bars to shy frenchmen trying to hit on english-speaking girls (a rather frequent occurrence in canada). I did once help a French couple i ran into in Hawaii buy their groceries because they some dietary restrictions and couldnt read english

What do you do?

Today... Electrical Engineer Control Systems, recently changed MS from Mathematics to Engineering Management.

What's your special talent? What role do you play in the great game of life? If, when forced to name one concrete thing, would you label as your contribution to society?

Special talent: Identifying problems people didn't even know they had.

Role: Bonus Boss that wipes the smirk off the face of subordinates.

Contribution to society:

That said... or not said... society is not really worth one's time in some grand/vague scope.

I'm a repair technician of Radiation detection and monitoring equipment for the ministry of defense. Not gonna lie its a fucking awesome job

I make interesting smells, craft enticing edible goodies, and withstand incredible heat to bring sustenance to those who find themselves in my small corner of the planet.

In my spare time, I pay money to study the workings of the human brain and to polish the skills required to help those who come to me and say, "My world has fallen apart/is trying to destroy me/is too confusing/is utterly terrifying. Help me."

Does this have value? The money I earn and the people I help seem to think so.

I have a talent for organizing shit, making routines, and sticking to them. This has helped me maintain a consistent routine of taking good care of my health (by maintaining good eating/sleeping/exercise habits), being efficient (knowing what driving routes save me the most on time/gas, what food I can buy that will save me the most money without sacrificing nutritional value, etc.) and generally having my shit together (I always pay my bills in full and on time, I keep my room/body/car clean for the most part, and when I go somewhere, I almost always remember to bring everything I need).

My obsession with physical fitness comes in handy when it comes to defining who I am and what I do. Both my job and my main hobby require it. However, unlike a lot of people, I'm not known primarily for my job, but for my hobby. People don't define me as "the labourer," but rather "the kickboxer" or less frequently "the jiujitsu guy" or if they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, "the straight-edge kung fu guy."

English Teacher and Fashion Illustrator.
Random much?

excalipoor:

Little Woodsman:
"I dance and drink and sing,
'til some blind hand shall brush my wing."

Oh! Oh! A mosquito? No, a moth? Geez, I don't know. A fly?

"Oh little fly,
thy summer's play
my thoughtless hand
has brushed away.
But am I not a fly like thee?
Or art not thou a man like me?
For I dance, and drink and sing,
'til some blind hand shall brush my wing.
If thought is life, and strength and breath
and the lack of thought is death,
Then am I,
a happy fly
If I live
or if I die?
William Blake

With apologies for any inaccuracies, it was literally 32 years ago when I memorized it.....

I'm a first cook at a local restaurant. Lots of responsibility for not very much pay. But I do get to cook really good food for people which I believe they enjoy. Never had anyone complain yet. So I guess I contribute by feeding people to lazy to cook for themselves.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked