Do you read beyond the first page before making a reply?
Yes, I always read beyond that, you suck Steve
48.2% (53)
48.2% (53)
I usually only read the first page, you're not alone Steve
50.9% (56)
50.9% (56)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you read beyond the first page?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'll admit, I can be a lazy bastard at times, be it the laundry basket thinking he's hot shit or escapist threads with 80some pages. I have on occasion made a post based on the general mood of the first page, so I wonder how much of a scumbag I am based on that parameter alone!

Poll question: Do you read beyond the first page?

First and last page, unless I'm DESPERATELY interested in the entire conversation. And often I won't even read the entire first page.

I never post unless I've read the entire thread. Unless it's things like music or picture threads, where I just skim.

I'm not sure but I think it's because I don't want to repeat whet someone else has already said, so I have to check first... This also means that I only very rarely post in thread of more then 2-3 pages.

There are some threads about topics I care about that I'll read all the way through before replying. Most I'll just skim the first and last pages to see how the convo started and where it went.

I generally don't post in threads that are more than a page long, as everything tends to have been said. If it's a really exceptional thread or I've created it, I'll read through all the responses, but that's the exception not the rule.

If it's a thread like this one, where it's a simple poll where everyone is pretty much answering the question in a vacuum, I'll occasionally answer after skimming the first page. Usually, though, I read the entire thread before replying. Yes, even if it's a 20+ page monstrosity.

BloatedGuppy:
First and last page, unless I'm DESPERATELY interested in the entire conversation.

Pretty much this, really...

Unless I'm really interested in the topic material and there's some good discussion (i.e. hasn't gone up shit-creek), then I'll read it. Otherwise, I'll just skim over it and ask myself the question 'can I be bothered to post', then act on how I answer. *shrug*

If it's an interesting thread then I'll read every response carefully, even ten page monsters, and regularly check back when they're updated: for example I'm watching both the moderation themed threads at the moment. Definitely not addicted, it's not like Escapist threads are infused with ADAM >.>

Eleuthera:
I never post unless I've read the entire thread. Unless it's things like music or picture threads, where I just skim.

I'm not sure but I think it's because I don't want to repeat whet someone else has already said, so I have to check first... This also means that I only very rarely post in thread of more then 2-3 pages.

Yeah, I'm sort of like that. The least I would do if I want to post is to skim the thread and see if anybody already said what I wanted to say. It's actually not too hard if the page is 2-3+ pages long, since a lot would be people going back and forth quoting each other, so it's easy to skip these conversations.

Depends on how long I've been away. If it's been a while, I'll read the first few pages. Once I'm caught up, pretty much just the first page.

It depends on the topic. If it interests me, I'll read beyond the first page. If it doesn't, I'll just skim and maybe post.

I won't give a fuck unless it's a topic I like. I cannot stand for the sexism threads, and I wished that more threads of my fancy came. Tis a shame that I'm a picky bastard... :-/

I rarely read past the front page, unless:

1. I hit "Most recent page" instead of the thread title
2. There's butthurt poo-throwing and I have to read the funnies
3. The thread genuinely interests me (uncommon)
4. I need to collect my thoughts before writing my posts and use other posts as a way of phrasing myself

I solve the problem by only posting on threads that are less than a page long. :) great success!

It entirely depends on how many pages there are and how interesting the conversation is. Of course, most of the time I usually end up reading the first and last as that one guy said.

I try to. I also try to read all the posts on a topic before I make a reply.
Honestly, my biggest concern is to make sure I'm not necroposting.

Same as Guppy, first and last unless the topic/conversation is really interesting.

Most or all of the first, maybe the last.

I'll only read the rest if the first as really interesting.

Sometimes I jump into the middle of one of those long threads to see how nasty it is. Then I usually see someone calling someone else a feminazi or something and jump right back out.

first and last page for me too.

Chalk up another first and last person here.

TopazFusion:

For those people saying they read just the first and last page of a thread, what do you do if the last page has only one or two posts on it? (in other words, it's a "fresh" new last page) Do you go one page back and read that one too?

Yes, I do. It helps to get the general tone of the thread, whether there is anything more to say, and if it is still on topic.

I read everything, or nothing.

It's really annoying when people only read the first page and then quote me on something I've said there, which half a dozen people have already done on later pages.

Or the "I'm sure this has already been said, but" posts, especially when they've been pointed out to be wrong already.

I'll read the entire first few pages 1-3, skim the rest to make sure I have a general idea of where the thread is going and what's been discussed, then if I have anything to add, or if I want to make conversation with individual posters, I'll post.

When I think about it, it takes a lot of effort to get me to post on a long thread, if I'm just too lazy to run that process for 10 pages, I don't post at all. Usually I prefer topics when they're still short and not everything has already been discussed. If one of those topics becomes a long topic, I will keep up with it though.

On a side note, I didn't vote in you're poll, because you don't suck for only reading the first page.
Be nicer to yourself Steve.

Soviet Steve:
I'll admit, I can be a lazy bastard at times, be it the laundry basket thinking he's hot shit or escapist threads with 80some pages. I have on occasion made a post based on the general mood of the first page, so I wonder how much of a scumbag I am based on that parameter alone!

Poll question: Do you read beyond the first page?

Unless I've posted on the first page and carry on posting through out the thread, then the answer is no. i never read past the first page. I have tried, but usually half way down you encounter some douche who makes sweeping statements like they know every little detail of any given topic.

for example, a recent topic about apple having to reimburse parents whose children had managed to spend money on in app currency was followed by a shit storm of "arghhhh stupid parents shouldn't let iphones raise there kids."

As if they knew what the circumstances of the situation were.

I do on the threads that descend into huge arguments or "philosophical debates" on completely pointless topics or subjects. I enjoy the laugh most of the time.

I wont comment in the long ones 90% of the time (4 pages or more), by that point the thread has usually gone past the point of reason and/or a new comment getting noticed.

Depends on the size of the thread and how interested I am in it. If it's interesting, I'll read it all, but mostly I read or skim the first and last page and skim everything inbetween.

TheYellowCellPhone:

2. There's butthurt poo-throwing and I have to read the funnies

Yes, that too. ^^

It depends. At times, I may read the first post if the premise of the thread is obvious, then skip to the last page, so I can see how the mood is. Or, I may do the opposite and read the first page only, then post. And depending on the size and interest, may read everything up to the current point. Sometimes, I find a thread mid way through and just reply to that.

Most of the time I'll read the first page and the last page, to see how the discussion has developed, if I'm really interested in the thread I'll read more but most of the time I won't.

Mostly the first page, but I'll go to the 2nd/3rd page if I'm feeling not so lazy :3

If it's a flame thread, I will read ALL the posts.

If the thread / posts are interesting and/or funny enough yea i'll read it.

If it is with something i just want to give my opinion on, i'll read the first post and skim the rest a bit.
As was the case with this thread

I'm the other way around, I read backward from last page to first page, only if it's interesting.

For me it depends on if I am going to post then defiantly, if I'm just lurking I will sometimes if the topic is interesting.

If it's not an interesting discussion, no... As an example, for this one I didn't even read the first page! Only the top few posts, and the one right above mine. For any discussion that sparks my interest, or concerns a topic with which I am concerned, I will read at least the first page and the last page. Often I will read the entire thing, plowing trough 5 pages in order to read and consider peoples opinions. While doing that I often skip a few posts, generally the really short ones and the painfully long ones.

I usually look at every page but I only read the top few posts and then skim the rest. And that's only if the thread is four pages or less; any more than that and I'll read the first two pages and the last.

Kind of a weird system but I feel like it's a pretty good way of getting an idea what people are saying without having to spend a ton of time reading similar responses.

But hey, Steve. I don't think you suck. Even if you are a horrible human being for only reading the first page, you antichrist!

tldr

what?

in all seriousness at times, depends if im interested in the discussion or just throwing my two pence out there.

dang im on the seccond page, no one will listen to me now NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSS!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked