Why is Atkins coming back?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Last week I saw a commercial where Sharon Osbourne was promoting the diet. Now I'm seeing foods that are "Atkins friendly". Plus my mom keeps on bothering me to do this diet.

What the fuck? I thought this diet was classified as a bunch of hooplah? Seriously, it promotes you to eat bacon yet can't have an apple.

I'm 6.1ft and weigh 9.5 stone and I'm on that diet!

Well... kinda... I mean, I can't remember when I last ate fruit and my meat to veg ratio is somewhere along the lines of 3:1 so I suppose that's sorta like the Atkins diet I suppose?

Actually, the Atkins diet is kinda dangerous, since it ironically mimics the effects of decompensated diabetes (ketoacidosis). If you're a healthy person, you can have a compensated ketoacidosis without any major ill effects, though combining that with excessive and intense exercise (which leads to lactoacidosis) might strain your body's bicarbonate buffer and hyperventilation capacities. Again, if you're a young, healthy person, it's probably nothing to worry about, but it has "disaster" written all over it if you have any underlying conditions.

Also it's a really awful way to lose weight in the long term, as all diets are. You're not supposed to diet to lose weight, you're supposed to change your whole lifestyle and nutrition. Any weight you lose dieting is going to come right back soon after you stop.

The thing with Atkins is that you will probably lose weight on it. The problem is, cutting out almost all of your carbohydrate intake is probably the worst long-term weight loss plan. For one, it has the problem of virtually all diets in that once you go off of the diet, you're probably going to gain all of the weight you lost right back. Cutting out carbs has the added problem of making your body crave carbs, making it much harder to keep on the diet, and you'll probably eat way more carbs than you should once you go off the diet.

If you want long-term weight loss, you need a permanent lifestyle change, not a short-term diet. And making that lifestyle change is very hard, which is the biggest reason that I don't criticize people for being overweight.

Also, my understanding is that rapidly losing and gaining weight (which will probably happen if you frequently go on and off diets) is worse for you than if you had just kept the weight on. I might be wrong, though.

Well, everything goes in cycles... makes sense we'd eventually exhaust all the possible fad diet permutations and go back to one of the original fad diets! I'd imagine it's probably been altered slightly from the original Atkins diet, if only so it can have the caveat that all the flaws with the original diet have been ironed out.

It's an odd trend, but one that repeats time and again. Someone famous or a well-known media outlet recommends something as healthy or weight-reducing (bonus points if you're able to do whatever you want some of the time), and enough people take it at face value to give it momentum. More people try to cash in, and you have your new fad diet/exercise plan. This tends to ramp up in January (for the New Year's Resolutions people), and in the spring (for those who want to be able to wear only a bikini/pair of swimming trunks at the beach in the summer without feeling self-conscious), and they never work out, unless, as other users have pointed out, you change your entire lifestyle to support your new weight. Although, quite depressingly, most fad diets tend to get popular on the back of 'hey, for X days a week you can eat what you like!' Which is really the opposite of the attitude you want to be cultivating here.

Because there are only so many fad diets out there that eventually it comes full circle and they return to become the latest fad diet again. Why it keeps happening? I guess some people would rather believe there is a miracle cure for being overweight that will excuse them from having to put in the real effort to lose that weight, namely eat better, exercise and fundamentally change their life style.

Atkins is back, huh? Pfft. There's plenty of new diet fads out there. Wheat Belly seems to be getting popular.
People need to put effort into livestyles not this junk.

I remember David Mitchell's rant about the atkins diet:

And I think to myself, that's a god-damn excellent question you have there.

People are stupid, that is why.

Carbohydrates are good people.

Eat less and eat healthier, not cut out carbohydrates and binge on garbage.

Don't I remember news of people dying on this diet?

At any rate most weight issues are caused by lack of exercise in this modern world of ours, we spend so much of our time sat behind desks or leisurely strolling that's where the problem is. Most people who jump at diet fads in my experience have been people who just can't be bothered doing proper exercise. Even ten minutes a day can do wonders for your body.

I'm pretty sure knowledge of any kind of dietry is harmful to your health. The only thing you need to know is to buy as little premade stuff as possible.

I must go now, my potatoes need me.

I have no idea of any diets except for "karppaus" (karping/carping??)
I have no diet, I need no diet and I don't care about any diet.

All fad diets will come and go.

Atkins is going to stick around for a while, because disgusting though it is (I know a guy who drinks a raw egg blended with a cup of half and half for lunch, skinny as all get out) it does work.

I think theres also a difference between the atkins diet and some of the more extreme zero carb forms- atkins, as I understood it, still wants you to eat a bit of lettuce to keep the digestive system, well, moving, if you catch my drift. Or rather, catch my ooze, which is more appropriate to describe the situation where you eat nothing but meat and protein.

Wait, it's making a comeback already?

Oh well, at least it give me the excuse to trot out Foamy's rant about it.

WARNING: NSFW language.

damn so much misinformation in this thread and since i don't feel like writing a wall of text that noone will pay attention to i'll just say:
read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_research_related_to_low-carbohydrate_diets
watch this

(warning long movie)

i done a 3 month trial of a zero carb diet and while i was not impressed with the results myself i doubt it was really designed for ppl who exercise 4-12 hours a day and generally eat right. i do however see the benefit of it for those who struggle a little more with their weight management and take offense to those who spout bullshit because they seen some thing on oprah saying it was evil or remember 5 minuets of their health class and thus know fat is bad and fruit is good.

again don't feel like wall'O texting so:

PROS
you lose body fat quite fast
bacon
blood tests showed all positive improvements except for a slight (average) increase in LDL which was accompanied by huge increase in HDL
near normal bowel function

CONS
lack of long term energy
lack of cupcakes
arguably harder than eating right and exercising
poor muscle growth
impossible to look cool when you tell your friends you can't have a beer cause you are low carb'n

The 19 day diet is a new diet that is going viral. Its carbless, so all carbless diets would be making a comeback. So this is all the 19 day diet's fault.

I have a medical condition where I have to eat low-carb and yes, it does keep your thin, but oh god I really really want a bacon sandwich.

Sugar has been outed as the new fat so the low-carb diets have made a comeback.

I do not think that a low-carb diet is the best solution for long-term weight loss and it can damage your kidneys and liver and leaves you prone to stomach ulcers.

The Atkins diet is fucking ridiculous.

Why?

Because see that all that weight you are loosing? Well that's not really fat, it's water and you loose it because of the way the body burns protein. You will put it all back on when you stop the 'diet'. Basically Atkins tricks your body into starvation mode. This produces all kinds of ketone's and aldehydes as a bi-product which can strain the liver and kidneys, not to mention that the high fat intake wont do your heart any good at all.

Look loosing weight is not complicated. Eat smaller portions of a nutritionally well balanced meals and get your ass down to the gym.

The equation is very simple:

Calories expended > Calories consumed = Weight loss

For the same reason Homoeopathy is still around - People, at large and without shame, are fucking stupid.

Because everyone wants to get skinny without doing the hard work associated with exercise and diet. And the Atkins diet pretty much promises that.

Interesting fact the diet is being studied for use in treating epilepsy.

If other people want to do these fad diets then let them. I'm hardly in a position to criticize seeing as my diet for the last few days has consisted of breakfast cereals, mugs of tea and beer. Then again, it is my week off so I feel entitled to eat shit for the duration of it.

Closely controlling your card intake is actually very sensible. Cuz it's like the last thing your body throws onto the tire fire when it needs fuel. However, it is just as important as all the other stuff in your food. Rather than cutting out carbs, a better idea is to try and avoid them at dinner time (cuz you'll just be sleeping on it) and try to funnel your carb intake into your most physically active days. Also, breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal, it really is, and a stack of pancakes, or bread, or cereal, rice, or any other wheat/grain products will keep you up and alert until lunch.
But cutting carbs out completely (or close to) is dumb and dangerous. It does hell to your liver and WILL come back and bite you later on in life.

I've always thought Atkins, and diets in general, were a great example of how our society always seems to want to get something with as little work as possible. Why are people so scared of exercise?

Darken12:
Actually, the Atkins diet is kinda dangerous, since it ironically mimics the effects of decompensated diabetes (ketoacidosis). If you're a healthy person, you can have a compensated ketoacidosis without any major ill effects, though combining that with excessive and intense exercise (which leads to lactoacidosis) might strain your body's bicarbonate buffer and hyperventilation capacities. Again, if you're a young, healthy person, it's probably nothing to worry about, but it has "disaster" written all over it if you have any underlying conditions.

Also it's a really awful way to lose weight in the long term, as all diets are. You're not supposed to diet to lose weight, you're supposed to change your whole lifestyle and nutrition. Any weight you lose dieting is going to come right back soon after you stop.

I've noticed that a lot of people end up with cholesterol through the roof and the like, too.

low carb diet is raging in japan right now too.
I think it can be effective in japan because we eat a lot of rice.
However, compared to bread, rice should be much healthier.
Well, I dont mind eating cheese and eggs more often so what the hell.

As a bodybuilder, I have a high protein low carbs diet and just take in enough carbs to fuel my needs when I train. Carbs are mostly bad for you in the amount people eat nowadays. Think of it from an evolutionary standpoint: why would mother nature make us crave things that would kill us (meat, fat...)? Carbs are extremely recent in the whole of human history and our ancestors were pretty big before they settled down and started farming.

LetalisK:
I've always thought Atkins, and diets in general, were a great example of how our society always seems to want to get something with as little work as possible. Why are people so scared of exercise?

Your diet is just as important as exercise. I used to walk everywhere and eat poorly and all it got me was a big fat body with strong leg muscles.

On the other hand, I've dropped 30 lbs over the last year simply by adjusting what I eat.

Sometimes, it's better to play smart than to play hard.

However, what I'm doing is not dieting. It's actual lifestyle adjustment, as in I'm not going back. But the concept of "diet" is not a lazy or cheap one.

Angie7F:

I think it can be effective in japan because we eat a lot of rice.

Americans eat a lot of starch, too.

Doesn't make it effective.

Any doctor, nurse, nutritionalist, whatever worth a crap will promote a balanced diet and portion control.

Fad dieting is dumb and in this case, downright dangerous.

Yan007:
why would mother nature make us crave things that would kill us (meat, fat...)?

Considering we also crave sugar, that's a poor argument.

The problem with any of the above is that we eat too much, not that we eat them.

Darken12:

Don't confuse DKA with starvation Ketosis. Starvation ketosis is what you mimic with a low/no carb diet, you force your body to metabolize fatty acids rather than carbs, and not diabetic ketoACIDOSIS. Starvation ketosis is a state we, as a species, were in much more commonly than times of bountiful carbohydrates (as we are today). DKA is a severe form of ketosis as a result of your body being unable to take any sugar into it's cells (DM1), but it's actually the fluid/electrolyte imbalance during DKA, as a result of the severe metabolic acidosis, that kills you not metabolizing ketones as an energy source. The metabolic acidosis that occurs during DKA is orders of magnitude more severe than the acidosis that results from starvation ketosis.

As an aside, there are refractory epileptics that can lead rather normal lives once they've switched to a Ketogenic diet, and so it can be a godsend for some people.

Aside #2, the Mediterranean diet is actually brilliant for losing weight and keeping it off, but I'll agree with you that most diets are pretty terrible for long term weight change - the real problem isn't so much the diet as people not changing their food-routines.

Hey! I have a diet idea!

Its called the: stop eating junk and go for a jog diet.

The hard way exists because its usually the best way, why bother with shortcuts with various long term risks?

Yan007:
Think of it from an evolutionary standpoint: why would mother nature make us crave things that would kill us (meat, fat...)? Carbs are extremely recent in the whole of human history and our ancestors were pretty big before they settled down and started farming.

Carbs, as grains/breads are new, but carbs from veggies and fruits are very very very old.

As for why we would crave Fat/meat/salt/sugar, it's because they were rare necessities (salts/meats), or high energy resources (sugars/fats) in our diet - evolutionarily speaking. So rare that our brains are hardwired to search them out (even subconsciously). Why do you think food-companies put as much sugar and salt into their foods as they can? It's because it helps make them more addictive to us, and we unconsciously choose the brands that have those additives in them.

So, yes, we crave them, but it's because for the vast majority of our existence, they were extremely hard to come by, but not because in abundance they're good for us. Just like how carbs (grains/breads/cereals), in abundance, aren't that good for us. Everything in moderation my friend.

edit: but, if you're trying to build muscle (as body builders obviously do) you have to eat a lot of protein, and dense calories (fats). I know I rarely eat anything that's marked as 'low fat,' for that exact reason. It might as well be marked, 'we replaced the fat with sugar so you'll be hungry again in 30mins!'

Hey! Don't diss this diet! It works!

Do you have any idea how much weight you lose once you're dead?

These people are skipping right past the 60kg mark and onto 25kg! And they don't stop there, from there on out it's 5kg and even lower!

Because people are dumb and think cutting out the items with the highest nutrition-to-calorie ratios is a good thing.

Over and over we've found the best plan to "eat some of everything and be active". Somehow, this isn't good enough for anyone.

ohnoitsabear:
The problem is, cutting out almost all of your carbohydrate intake is probably the worst long-term weight loss plan.

Seeing as how you only cut most of your carbs in the first few weeks of Atkins and gradually add in carbs from good sources like the right types of vegetables and some fruit, you aren't actually arguing against an Atkins diet here. Just the misconception most people hold of what an Atkins diet is.

For one, it has the problem of virtually all diets in that once you go off of the diet, you're probably going to gain all of the weight you lost right back.

Eating high carb with lots of sugar and grains makes people gain weight. So if they start eating that way again after dieting for a short period of time they gain back the weight. I file this sort of argument under "no shit." Any diet change that you don't maintain for life is going to fail if you stop following it. That is not an inherent fault of the diet though.

Cutting out carbs has the added problem of making your body crave carbs, making it much harder to keep on the diet, and you'll probably eat way more carbs than you should once you go off the diet.

Depends on how you do it. Grains and sugar are a big culprit in these cravings, but after adjusting to not having them everyday, which takes at most a few weeks, the physical cravings go away. Any cravings after that are really just psychological and controlling that really just comes down to accepting that it's okay to have them occasionally so long as you don't immediately decide you're a failure when you do and give up entirely. Moreover, after even a few weeks of eating a good low carb diet and exercising, you'd be surprised how shitty you feel if you gorge on grains or sugar again. How ill they make you feel alone should provide some decent incentive for those who are serious about changing to not do that everyday. The problem is though, too many people see diet as all or nothing and when they fall off the wagon they just throw their arms up and say fuck it.

Also, my understanding is that rapidly losing and gaining weight (which will probably happen if you frequently go on and off diets) is worse for you than if you had just kept the weight on. I might be wrong, though.

Depends on how it happens. Rapidly losing weight and gaining it back is what will always happen if you focus on losing weight through caloric restriction and pay no attention to dietary composition, and this is bad because it does all kinds of bad things to the bodies insulin resistance and pancreas (among other hormonal systems like the thyroid). Losing weight fast by going low carb (which let's get real here, when we're talking low carb we're basically saying anything under 100g a day, which is hard to go over even if you gorge yourself on all of the vegetables people try and get you to eat everyday) is just what happens when you go low carb. The only danger is to your pocket book because you'll need a new wardrobe.

lacktheknack:
Because people are dumb and think cutting out the items with the highest nutrition-to-calorie ratios is a good thing.

Bullshit. The biggest offenders that people cut out when they go low carb are refined sugar, grains, and starches. All of which are found in foods which it would be an outright lie to refer to as nutrient dense, and their impacts on blood sugar play the largest roles in why diabetes and obesity are such an epidemic in western society these days.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here