Has the general reputation of Bronies gotten worse or is it just me?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

ShadowKatt:
IF the reputation has gone down, it's largely because of a couple things that have gotten a lot of attention.

Bronies are pretty much the reason that Derpy became a character at all, and when Hasbro made her a fully fledged character and people got all offended, the backlash against the decision to rewrite her, while I believe justified, did not look good on bronies as a whole.

Then there was the alicorn twilight thing that got way more publicity than it should have, and it really made the group of grown men liking a show made for little girls look like grown men acting like little girls. I can't justify that one, and if the image of bronies has been damaged because of it, then it's pretty well deserved.

I'm actually the opposite on this - I feel that Derpygate was a big overreaction on the fandom's part and was the more damaging event by a considerable margin, whereas the Twilicorn hate does have some legitimate reasoning. I do feel that Hasbro shouldn't have kept the edit quiet until it was already up for the former, and that there was / is a lot of obnoxiousness surrounding the latter. However, it was the Derpy controversy that dampened my view of the fandom and singlehandedly created the distrust between Hasbro and the fandom.

Admittedly, I'm anti-Twilicorn and fairly indifferent to the Muffin Queen, so I'm not exactly unbiased here. I've also never liked the direction the show took after Lesson Zero, which plays into my issues with Twilicorn quite a bit. I do try to make it a point to be as civil as possible when discussing my Twilicorn issues, though people will often immediately assume I'm one of the raving nuts who'll not even give things a chance. So yeah, I'm definitely not unbiased here. I'm guessing some of the Derpygate crew probably feel the same.

Captcha: "on cloud nine" Is Dashie there?

I didn't realise it eva had a phat reputation.

To me it has always been another fad dat playas desperate ta be a part of suttin' cling to.

Generally speaking, yes. While the amount of "haters" has receded significantly, the majority of loud, obnoxious, stupid bronies has only been increasing and I could swear that there are way fewer of the "smart" bronies that always made a good impression and were always there to represent the fandom as that "loving and tolerating" type.

With that in mind, and having been very active on the internet, its very easy to see why when you ask people what they think of bronies, it is almost always negative. This is because most bronies (especially the ignorant ones) have this tendency to express their opinion on everything all the time whenever they are given an opportunity. On Youtube, bronies generally do a good job disliking blatantly obvious jabs at them, but if you dare say anything remotely negative about them or the quality of the pony related video, you will receive a fuck-ton of thumbs downs and your comment will be flagged for spam. The reason for this is because the hive mind of the brony fandom lives in its own little world, where everything they say is always right, and the show and the fandom can do no wrong.

This is obviously not true, and because of their failure to see this, they gain pride in their ignorance and in turn, lots of people hate them for it.

We bronies have to understand that the show is certainly no longer "perfect" and that we aren't perfect either. When people are being constantly spammed with pony image macros or pony talk, it CAN be annoying. Also, we have to understand that people have different opinions. Sure, I sure as hell can't see why someone would hate the first season of the show, but if they give it a shot and dislike it, ITS 100% OKAY. When you disagree with another brony's opinion, don't just dismiss them as stupid, debate it and maybe you might see where they are coming from.

It doesn't take much to see that we aren't a loving and tolerating fandom anymore, the Equestria Daily hates the reddit and 4chan/ponychan communities, 4chan/ponychan hate everyone but themselves, and the tumblr community is always in some kind of constant shitstorm.

Oh, and you can tell we aren't exactly a smart fandom either when we freak out over things like Alicorn Twilight before we actually see what its all about.

But I digress, there will be no "fixing it". The reputation of the brony fandom will probably only continue to worsen as time goes on, and the brony community will go on blissfully ignorant of it and shun anyone who thinks differently.

I wouldn't say it's deprecated, it's more a case of the Bronies turning out to be just like any other passionate fandom. For all of their "Love and Tolerate" schtick, you'll find that for every five sedate lovers of the show, there's one guy or gal who takes cartoon character worship to the next level.

I mean, look at the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. He's representative of that specific type of fan, who's ready to fight Corporate tooth and claw for the sake of preserving Continuity, and who elevates fairly useless trivia and acquired skills to the level of a personal creed. The more the series progresses, the more it's proving easier to sort out those who have a sedate interest in the show and those who take authorial differences and potentially PR-mandated plot twists far more personally than they should.

MLP is a marketing vehicle, pure and simple. The idea that guys and gals outside of the show's target demographic latched onto purported values of friendship and trust isn't much more than a happy accident brought about by snappy writing and fun pop culture references. Anyone above the age of twelve who thinks Hasbro or Faust owes the fandom anything is out of line.

Go tell that to some rabid fans, though, and gauge their reactions.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Being a fan of Friendship is Magic for over two years now i can't help but feel like the general view on the shows fanbase has gotten considerably worse over time. Now, admittedly, there are some things that came out of it that i'd consider to be somewhat embarassing but i wouldn't say it's worse than in any other fanbase of comparable size. Still, i feel like most people think of Bronies as childish and socially awkward at best and obsessive and delusional at worst.

What's your opinion on the matter?

It's not so much that the reputation has gotten worse...

Much like Star Wars and Mass Effect before them, it seems (to me at least) that the Brony community is going into the same direction of misrepresentation and unwarranted fanboy bitching.

I think this comes from too many bronies putting more value in the "fandom" than the show they're supposedly fans of.

You have three catagories of Bronies:

1) The casual fan who likes it and sometimes posts his/her opinion about it on forums or elsewhere and doesn't make a big fuss about it and may have some fan art, fan fiction or figurines from the show.

2) The hardcore fan who loves it to death and is quite vocal on his/her opinion and would or may trash non-MLP person's views. This group tends to also draw art, write fan-fiction of their favorites and/or has figurines and other MLP merchandise.

3) The super hardcore, obsessive and nearly insane fans who dedicate a large portion of their free time to most things MLP such as the things mentioned in the hardcore fan but are very likely have some screws loose and will fiercely attack anything remotely negative by non-fans or even casual MLP fans. These are the types you do not want to meet by yourself because it is possible some of the individuals in this group may also be creepy/creepers.

I am not a brony myself but I do have some real life furry friends who also happen to be bronies and pretty much are on the casual side with the exception of my best friend, who seems to linger between casual and hardcore but he doesn't obsess over it.

The same could be said about furries, you got your casual "I'm a fox" type guy and you got the really insane sparkledog style wolf-fox-dragon-bear with rainbow wings, is hermaprodite with FFF cup breasts and a 25 inch dong.

Bhaalspawn:

Much like Star Wars and Mass Effect before them, it seems (to me at least) that the Brony community is going into the same direction of misrepresentation and unwarranted fanboy bitching.

I think this comes from too many bronies putting more value in the "fandom" than the show they're supposedly fans of.

I completely agree with the second point, but I disagree that this is the same as what happened inside other comparable fandoms.

Other fandoms have either vocal complaining minorities and silent tolerant majorities, or vocal, complaining majorities.

Bronies have a semi-vocal complaining minority, and a majority that keeps much more vocally denouncing them. This is what creates a spiraling bad reputation, hearing the rumors of bad bronies. An obsession with worrying about what other people might complain about, a "pass the popcorn" eagerness for trying the predict the claims of a (largely hypothetical) "butthurt" fandom, and describing every minor event in the narrative of "-gate" scandals (even when there are far more people meta-discussing complains, than actually complaining.)

This thread alone is full of bronies, many of them vocally discussing how annoying every other brony is.

If we can say that "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars", then this is "Bronies love MLP but hate the rest of the bronies".

Lord Garnaat:

Not sure if you're joking or not (if so then I apologize - it's difficult to detect sarcasm online), but a Brony is an adult fan of the new My Little Pony show that came out in 2010. Shockingly enough, the show is actually really good, and it picked up a huge and insanely devoted fandom to prove it. If you'd like a more detailed description, I'd advise you read the Know Your Meme article on the matter:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

ah ha! I see, thanks. Nah, I'm not joking. I'm not really much of an 'Interneter' so memes and web trends usually go over my head.

I don't think most people actually care much about bronies. I, for one, don't judge an individual for the type of TV show he enjoys.

Some bronies have this strange persecution complex though, which gets annoying. I'm not interested in seeing "why don't people like me" threads for any reason

Haven't seen much about bronies recently. What annoys me these days is the harlem shake stuff.

dyre:
I don't think most people actually care much about bronies. I, for one, don't judge an individual for the type of TV show he enjoys.

Some bronies have this strange persecution complex though, which gets annoying. I'm not interested in seeing "why don't people like me" threads for any reason

I think it's a remnant from the first year of the fandom, when they really needed to prove that they are a genuine fandom to begin with, and not just a joke, if they wanted any chance of increasing their numbers and getting accross the news that the show really is surprisingly good.

Back in 2010-2011, there were a shitload of otherwise well-intentioned nice people who accidentally dismissed bronies as ironic hipsters, so there still was a chance of converting them by being confrontative and vocally fannish.

Nowadays, the only haters remaining are bullies, yet some bronies keep acting as if there would be a chance of converting them too with even better PR.

Entitled:

dyre:

I think it's a remnant from the first year of the fandom, when they really needed to prove that they are a genuine fandom to begin with, and not just a joke, if they wanted any chance of increasing their numbers and getting accross the news that the show really is surprisingly good.

Back in 2010-2011, there were a shitload of otherwise well-intentioned nice people who accidentally dismissed bronies as ironic hipsters, so there still was a chance of converting them by being confrontative and vocally fannish.

Nowadays, the only haters remaining are bullies, yet some bronies keep acting as if there would be a chance of converting them too with even better PR.

Hmm, I think that PR campaign may have backfired. At least for me; I didn't doubt that there were probably a number of people who genuinely liked the show. But I always was a bit suspicious that the very vocal fans (esp the ones who posted brony memes) were just doing it to be cool. I guess it's because if I enjoy something, I usually tend to just quietly enjoy it, and only recommend it when asked.

Maybe you're right about them, dunno. Hopefully any remaining PR bronies can realize that their fandom should go the way of any other fandom, whether it be Naruto or Game of Thrones - just something to be shared between fans

Its something I never understood, and sort of just have always ignored, just like I paid no mind to Twilight and its' fanship. Being on the outside looking in, the vocality of disliking bronies and pegasisters has gone down, and I suspect for the same reason the same has happened with Bieber - its not going anywhere, and whining about it is becoming incessantly annoying. I imagine there's still quite a bit of prejudice, and that its just more silent.

Oh, and there's the "This is mine and not yours!" behavior of some people, in regardless to the show doing something to appeal to its eight-year old girl audience, rather than them, and the whole Derpy thing. I've talked with people who weren't even willing to admit that Derpy was pretty damn offensive, because they think it weakened their position - which it does, and rightfully so, because their position is "Lets have a pony that mocks people with disabilities on a children's show!"

i think the fandom is collapsing in on itself.
after a season which, let's face it. was just kinda shit, the soft core bronies started arguing with the hardcore bronies about whether or not the third season being a crowd-pleasing fiasco and then the furrys stood up and said "we are who we are". which is alright if they had said "and those guys aren't" thereby bringing the none furry bronies and the furrys in to a "he said, she said blah blah" debate.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked