Thoughts on doctor who new season (UK only may have spoilers)

I just finish watching doctor who and I must say it a big improvement on the last season.
What did you guys think of this episode?
What do you thinks there is to come?
Thoughts on new season in general.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

As long as they don't break the lore to go beyond 13 or whatever regenerations, I'm happy.

I will eat my own face if they don't do that.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
What happend to the planned trilo- oh nevermind.
As long as they don't break the lore to go beyond 13 or whatever regenerations, I'm happy.

They've already had him saying that doesn't apply to him in the Sarah Jane adventures or something.

Mind you, the Master went beyond 13, and in the 5 Doctors, the Time Lords once offered him a full new set if he stopped being evil and worked for them.

I've found the new companion to be rather bland so far - not as obnoxious as her previous selves were in The Snowmen and Asylum of the Daleks, but not really doing much except wandering around with that 'aren't I cute' expression.

I suppose she is cute, in a chipmunk sort of way...

Other than that mostly looking forward to Cold War for the Ice Warriors, and Nightmare in Silver, since Gaiman wrote it and I thought his previous episode was excellent.

I thought that last one was absolutely dreadful. The end was a rushed kop out (yet again) and the central idea of the episode was ripped straight from an older episode.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wire

Moffat was superb in writing the occasional episode, and master at work when given some time to breathe. However, his writing just doesn't work very well now that he's trying to come up with series after series. The plots are convoluted and flawed, relying mainly on fast moving events and action scenes as opposed to emotional engagement. As the episodes roll in, I get the nagging sense I'm seeing the Star Wars effect all over again. They got the old genius back to work his timeless magic (pun not intended), and he just can't seem to do it anymore.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

You can inherit the regenerations of other Time Lords- the Master did it.
Since the Doctor killed all the Time Lords, he gets all the regenerations.

And I want to find out where they go with the paradoxical Oswin.
His most recent companions were both unique things in time, and now it seems like his new one is too.

EDIT: I also liked the bit with the ostrich and the fireworks. And the bit with the wet floor sign was so funny I had to pause it to catch my breath back.
American whovians, you're in for a hell of a treat

I've really liked the new episodes so far. I thought all the overarching plots in previous Moffat seasons were beginning to bog everything down and the series was straining under the weight of them, but last weeks episode was pure fun. The new assistant is fantastic too

thaluikhain:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

They've already had him saying that doesn't apply to him in the Sarah Jane adventures or something.

Mind you, the Master went beyond 13, and in the 5 Doctors, the Time Lords once offered him a full new set if he stopped being evil and worked for them.

It was a joke! And then nerds being nerds made this whole thing out of it. A child asks the doctor how many lives he's got and then he flippantly says something to the same extent as eleventy-bajillion (except they made the mistake of using a really number, 512 or something) and suddenly it's common knowledge that they're going to walk all over canon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9D-2HJMD9s

But it's not going to be a problem. They'll devote a whole series to it and either come up with some satisfying or unsatisfying scientific mumbo jumbo about why he can't.

Thought it was pretty naff to be honest, felt like a crummy filler episode, which are fine, but not as a season opening, and certainly not when you used almost the exact same plot a little while back. They didn't tell us why the villian wanted all these people in the wifi, what/who he was, (though he was played by Richard E Grant when he "appeared" who also played the villian in the last episode), they just sort of took out the HQ then went "Right thats it, nothing to investigate here, lets just head off, no worries that he might start up again else where...

I really think Moffat needs to be taken off the head writing duties, he wrote excelent episodes when he had time to breath, and RTD was in charge, but now he just seems to be suffering a massive writers block, or he needs to get them to extend the episodes to an hour to prevent him just fixing everything in the blink of an eye without any explaination.

I do find the whole parodox of Oswin to be interesting but... there are a lot of plot threads that are still floating around from season 5 that haven't been fully resolved. There was a lot of foreshadowing in season 6 and the earlier part of 7 that are just seemingly going nowhere(what did he see in that room!?).

As much as I love a lot of Moffat's stuff(he's the reason I fell in love with the show in the first place), it's getting a bit out of hand. His writing has been steadily declining in quality for a while now. It was especially bad in the most recent Angels episode,

Evil Top Hat:
I thought that last one was absolutely dreadful. The end was a rushed kop out (yet again) and the central idea of the episode was ripped straight from an older episode.

Welcome to Doctor Who :L
I think the series is really popular in America because they like the 'British feel of it', which as a British person myself I don't understand. It doesn't feel British, it feels childish.
I understand they've had farting aliens in the Christopher Eccelston run, but these seem to be trying too hard to be aimed at children. It's almost like pantomime, which is a thought I had in the scene on the plane. The plots aren't really thought up, they're just copied from other episodes without thought, just because they are in the previous episodes. Like the big face on the screen, some unseen villain can be interesting and like hell has been used before but just didn't make sense in this context.
Anyway, about 5 series ago didn't the ending finale include the end of the universe? And after that they've been trying to get even more 'epic', while falling flat on its face.
I think they need a break of a few decades just to revive it again. And not as a child's show, the original wasn't for children, it was for sci-fi fans.

the darknees abyss:
I just finish watching doctor who and I must say it a big improval on the last season.

the word you're thinking of is 'improvement'.

So much better than last series. I particularly liked the sequence with the plane.

thaluikhain:

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

Doesn't River give her regenerations to him in Lets Kill Hitler? Or was that purely to cure him as a one-off and doesn't give him more continues? I don't think that the Beeb will give up Doctor Who so easily just because the lore says he must actually die after a certain point. Either he will just keep on going or he will become Robo-Doctor or something.

Tom_green_day:
I think they need a break of a few decades just to revive it again. And not as a child's show, the original wasn't for children, it was for sci-fi fans.

Sci-fi fans barely existed as a demographic when the original show was conceived. The show may have attempted to realign itself into that niche in the 80s but that's hardly a good thing given how inconsistent 80s Who was.

It's not aimed at children or at sci-fi fans - it's a family show, and in intent if not always practice it always has been. I would hate to see Dr Who repackaged specifically to woo the sci-fi/nerd/geek demographic ala Buffy or Trek or whatever. That may be the show's primary US audience, but in the UK it has a much broader appeal.

Evil Top Hat:

Moffat was superb in writing the occasional episode, and master at work when given some time to breathe. However, his writing just doesn't work very well now that he's trying to come up with series after series. The plots are convoluted and flawed, relying mainly on fast moving events and action scenes as opposed to emotional engagement. As the episodes roll in, I get the nagging sense I'm seeing the Star Wars effect all over again. They got the old genius back to work his timeless magic (pun not intended), and he just can't seem to do it anymore.

Pretty close to my opinion actually. Since Moffat took over it felt like he was trying to pull a Blink in every. single. episode. Well, figuratively.
But yeah, he seems much too focused on making the plots as twisted as possible and not caring much for the characters. This is surely controversal but... I prefered Doctor Who with RTD as executive and an occasional Moffat episode.

Very good so far. Interesting to see where this Clara stuff goes and I love the new TARDIS, new outfit and new titles. Can only get better after the mediocre series 6

Yosharian:

the darknees abyss:
I just finish watching doctor who and I must say it a big improval on the last season.

the word you're thinking of is 'improvement'.

Yes thank you I have dyslexia and sometime I can't spell things right.

Quaxar:

Evil Top Hat:

Pretty close to my opinion actually. Since Moffat took over it felt like he was trying to pull a Blink in every. single. episode. Well, figuratively.
But yeah, he seems much too focused on making the plots as twisted as possible and not caring much for the characters. This is surely controversal but... I prefered Doctor Who with RTD as executive and an occasional Moffat episode.

I thought his first full season was actually really good, yes it had 2 boring episodes (with the lizard people) and the 2 weeping angel episodes while not bad just felt like a desperate attempt to make lightening strike again. but for the most part it was really good. his next season however when he tried to introduce a complex plot fell apart completely and the first half of this season was mostly the same with the exception of Dinosaurs on a SpaceShip and that western one

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked