ZP on Bioshock Infinite

I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's opinion on Bioshock Infinite not just due to the plot but also due to the fact that you actually have a really reliable FEMALE AI partner, seeing that he always complains about partner AIs(something that was tackled in Amy and Shadow of the Colossus).

Also, will Bioshock Infinite make him a banana again? I pretty much hope so because Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game.

I don't know, I consider myself a pretty hard melon and the game never penetrated my shell to get to the soft side within. We shall have to just wait and see I suppose. Unless you have a tear that leads to next Wednesday?

For one, she doesn't have good Ai - she's an item dispenser in combat.

For two, he'll blast it, as usual. I imagine he'll blast it for not being a bioshock game, which is my problem with it.

It is a good game though.

AccursedTheory:
I imagine he'll blast it for not being a bioshock game, which is my problem with it.

Yup yup yup yup. There's plenty for it to ripped on, but that one stands out the most.

AccursedTheory:
I imagine he'll blast it for not being a bioshock game,

Uuuh, hate to tell you this, but...

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

Look at you, missing the point entirely, even though you probably know exactly what I mean.

Bioshock Infinite shares 3 things with its predecessor: a title, weird shit in your left hand, and a political straw man villain (though this one has more straw than ever). The atmosphere (not the environment) is completely different, the game play is massively altered due to the games more wide open nature, it follows the 2 weapon rule that Halo started and I despise, it drops dual currency, and now I'm just nitpicking and I'll stop.

AccursedTheory:

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

Look at you, missing the point entirely, even though you probably know exactly what I mean.

Bioshock Infinite shares 3 things with its predecessor: a title, weird shit in your left hand, and a political straw man villain (though this one has more straw than ever). The atmosphere (not the environment) is completely different, the game play is massively altered due to the games more wide open nature, it follows the 2 weapon rule that Halo started and I despise, it drops dual currency, and now I'm just nitpicking and I'll stop.

I knew what you were saying, but I just fucking hate the attitude of "they changed it in some way so now it's not *whatever*" and I'm just the kind of guy to be a prick about it.

He'll rip it to shreds because the first two Bioshocks got the same treatment, even though he said he really liked the first one.

erttheking:
He'll rip it to shreds because the first two Bioshocks got the same treatment, even though he said he really liked the first one.

I'm not sure I fully understood your statement. You say he will shred Infinite to pieces because people loved first two Bioshocks?

IllumInaTIma:

erttheking:

I'm not sure I fully understood your statement. You say he will shred Infinite to pieces because people loved first two Bioshocks?

He's going to shred it because he shreds every game, even the ones he likes.

Batman AA is the only game to avoid this recently, and even so, Yahtzee compensated by mocking the box art.

AccursedTheory:

IllumInaTIma:

erttheking:

Batman AA is the only game to avoid this recently, and even so, Yahtzee compensated by mocking the box art.

Well yeah, he does find every little thing to complain about, but then it's his job. I think OP wanted to find out whether or not Yahtzee will find the game good in general like he did Red Dead Redemption for example, that he complained about non stop and then featured in Game of the year list.

IllumInaTIma:

erttheking:

No, he admitted that he liked the first Bioshock and he still tore it to shreds, that's what I said.

This is going to sound really stupid, but recently there has been a heavier flow of strong games- as in, stronger than usual. Look at XCOM, Far Cry 3, and many more. Good games aren't as amazing as they would have been a year ago because there are just so many of them. If one of those games had come out a year earlier, it would be swarmed upon even more than before. If Skyrim had come out recently, people would care less due to the general strength of games recently.
EDIT: Forgot to link it to OP -.- I think ZP will like Bioshock less because of this. Maybe not directly due to this, but I think this will influence it. Look at Tomb Raider- many people loved it and thought it was a good game, but I guess game fatigue hits us all eventually.

Knowing Yahtzee, he'll quickly get the good stuff out of the way and spend the rest of the video nitpicking. It's his thing.

AccursedTheory:

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

So what? Bioshock isnt about a dark "survival-ish" game, its about political extremists that in the end cant keep their society functional with their ideals.

Bioshock 2 is what it was because it was developed by another studio, they didnt know where to take the franchise to another place other then Rapture again.

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

hazabaza1:

I knew what you were saying, but I just fucking hate the attitude of "they changed it in some way so now it's not *whatever*" and I'm just the kind of guy to be a prick about it.

agree completely. i feel thats why everyone hated final fantasy 13 so much. i thought it was a solid jrpg but because it was so different from other final fantasy games, everyone calls it garbage. of course i was guilty of this until just recently. i refused to play any of the modern fallout games because they were no longer turn based rpgs, but have since decided to give new vegas a fair shot the next time i see it on sale (because im apparently too cheap to spend $20 to buy the game new)

00slash00:
*snip*

Well... the fact that BSI is popularly lauded and FF XIII is popularly reviled gives me suspicion there's more to it than that, but I haven't played the latter so I'll not comment further.

I suspect he may like it, but he's surprised me before.

Either way he'll find things to gripe on. I loved the game, and I certainly could gripe regardless.

josemlopes:

Bioshock isnt about a dark "survival-ish" game, its about political extremists that in the end cant keep their society functional with their ideals.

That, and an investigation of universal inner struggles of humanity such as free will, purpose, love, and many others, through observation of characters in odd situations.

Both of these goals I felt Infinite met splendidly.

I hope he touches on the fact that the ending doesn't/wouldn't work, though it'd be hard to do so without him giving out rather massive spoilers.

AccursedTheory:
For two, he'll blast it, as usual. I imagine he'll blast it for not being a bioshock game, which is my problem with it.

Really? Considering the sequel formula he's devised - a good sequel uses the original as a jumping-off point to do something different with enough merit to stand on its own, while a bad one stagnates its franchise by aimlessly wallowing in the original (a rule which singlehandedly landed BioShock 2 itself on his 2010 Bottom 5 List) - I've long thought that Infinite's more tenuous relation to the previous games is one of the things he'll most admire it for (much as I do).

He'll like it and hate it?

I dunno. I don't he has ever like a video games before. Maybe Fallout 3? I think he liked that.

IllumInaTIma:
Well yeah, he does find every little thing to complain about, but then it's his job.

Second-best Yahtzee quote ever: "If I had to criticize it....and I do...."

OT: My friends tell me this game sucked them into an alternate universe composed entirely of nerdgasms. I doubt it's quite that good but it is on my wish list. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. I'm not a slave to review scores but I do see BS:I scoring 95 out of 100. That's pretty damn good for Metacritic.

Of course Yahtzee will nitpick. He found a dozen things to criticize in Arkham Asylum and I consider that more or less the perfect game. If he didn't absurdly exaggerate every problem, his show wouldn't be funny.

AccursedTheory:

Speaking of which, in my opinion, his best material comes from bagging on games that he likes.
Anybody else think so or am I the only one?

AccursedTheory:

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

So basically you wanted another Bioshock 2? Great idea!

Yahtzee will rip it apart without mercy because that what Yahtzee does.

As he said (and i might be paraphrasing) "I tend to make everything out to be shit so that when something arrives that is not shit it can shine that much brighter."

And obviously, never watch his videos expecting praise.

AccursedTheory:

hazabaza1:

AccursedTheory:

I praise them for changing the theme and gameplay a bit. It was first Bioshock that I really enjoyed. (im one of few that didnt like first two)

Johnny Impact:
Second-best Yahtzee quote ever: "If I had to criticize it....and I do...."

That Yahtzee quote randomly pops into my head. I was actually thinking about it as I was scrolling down the thread and then you referenced it and that must mean something significant. I believe it was in the Orange Box review during the portion about TF2 correct? He was saying there wasn't much variety or maps I think. Well, I bet he feels dumb now, look at all those hats!

torno:

Speaking of which, in my opinion, his best material comes from bagging on games that he likes.
Anybody else think so or am I the only one?

Nah, not the only one and you're spot on. I've always thought of Yahtzee's videos to be more like entertainment than a proper review.

RazielXT:

I praise them for changing the theme and gameplay a bit. It was first Bioshock that I really enjoyed. (im one of few that didnt like first two)

Same here. The setting and game mechanics grabbed my attention far more than 1&2.

Defeated Detective:
I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's opinion on Bioshock Infinite not just due to the plot but also due to the fact that you actually have a really reliable FEMALE AI partner, seeing that he always complains about partner AIs(something that was tackled in Amy and Shadow of the Colossus).

Be afraid.

Be very, very afraid.

Oh god now she's got a gun! Run for it!

Well, now that the review's come and gone, perhaps this thread could do with a momentary resuscitation in which we all look back on our one-week-younger selves' predictions and expectations and compare them to the real thing.

...Which totally isn't an excuse for me to say "CALLED IT!" Nope, 'course not.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here