Death Note

So, a while ago, I bought the first manga volume of Death Note. I thought it had an alright plot, although I recall not being that fond of the artwork. I couldn't be bothered to buy the next volumes.

Fast-forward to the present day, I've been feeling like I should start up a new hobby, because I typically don't have much to do outside of school resulting in my periodical boredom. So, I was thinking, is it worth picking up more volumes of Death Note? I heard that there are only twelve volumes, so at least it's not as much as some longer-running manga series.

I'm a fan of try before you buy. Read some online or see if there are copies at your local library (Death note is a popular shonen series so there should be depending on where you live).

Personally, I like death note and the cat and mouse games between the two main characters are great.

You can prolly get he whole animated series for cheap. I bought it a whiles ago cause it was 30 for the whole thing.

Please don't take this as snobbery but there are much better series out there and seeing as how you it really didn't interest you the first time, time probably hasn't sweetened it. Plus it kind of shits it self half way through once Near and Mello gets introduced. I'd be happy to recommend you some books if you're interested.

sextus the crazy:
I'm a fan of try before you buy. Read some online or see if there are copies at your local library (Death note is a popular shonen series so there should be depending on where you live).

Personally, I like death note and the cat and mouse games between the two main characters are great.

Yeah, I'm probably going to read some of the volumes online and see if it's worth buying. And indeed, I believe they sell pretty much all the volumes at the two Waterstones bookshops that I frequent.

UncleUlty:
Please don't take this as snobbery but there are much better series out there and seeing as how you it really didn't interest you the first time, time probably hasn't sweetened it. Plus it kind of shits it self half way through once Near and Mello gets introduced. I'd be happy to recommend you some books if you're interested.

Hmm...yeah, I do recall someone telling me that the story dips in quality after

. But don't worry, I don't think it's snobbery. I mean, Dragon Ball is one of my favourite manga/anime series, but that's probably because it's one of the only manga/anime series that I've consistently followed, and I know that there are deeper and potentially more fulfilling series out there (e.g. I prefer Fullmetal Alchemist to Dragon Ball).

But yeah, I'd like it if you could recommend me some books. I've been looking to branch out the number of manga that I read.

Relish in Chaos:

But yeah, I'd like it if you could recommend me some books. I've been looking to branch out the number of manga that I read.

Ooh, I can do that.

Gunslinger girl just got an English rerelease. You can by them in cheap 3 volumes for 1 format. The story itself has a good blend of action and character development (although it weighs more towards the character interaction side).

Berserk is a great older, more adult series that you can usually find at most manga carrying stores. If you're a fan of dark fantasy (I'm not, but the series is good enough to justify my interest), then you'll like it.

Hellsing is also a good series if you like action and finished a while ago (there's an excellent OVA series of it if you like anime).

Naoki Urasawa's Monster & 20th Century boys are both long mystery series that are very deep and complex, if you like good mystery series'.

Relish in Chaos:
snipty

It defiantly does and it didn't help the manga-ka thought he needed to stretch the story out to 108 chapters

I feel generic in doing it and trust me the moment you ask at least twenty people will tell you: Berserk and for good reason.It's phenomenal and a classic though you might have to shell a little more for some of the volumes sadly.

So with that out of the way,Jojo's Bizarre Adventure,one of Shonen's grandaddies that is fun as hell.Very creative in it's battles and jut a joy to read for all the over the toppness it brings.

Since you said you liked FMA you owe it to yourself to check our Silver Spoon,same author and it is amazing. I'll just leave it at that.

The World God Only Knows, a very funny comedy about a guy using his vast amount of dating sim knowledge to capture demons(despite trying to get out of it) and eventually more(but that's be spoiling).

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is about a suicidal teacher and his insane class making fun of societal ills.

If you have any love for dark comedies then go for Franken Fran it plays up body horrors for laughs and has a wonderfully twisted sense of humor.

If you'd prefer more serious work,there is Monster and 20th Century boys,I've only just started them but they are good and the anime for the former is excellent.

Also Flowers of Evil a wonderfully screwed up look at being screwed up.It will make you feel unclean after reading it.

Black jack is also very good being about a genius un licensed doctor and the weird things he deals with.

And just for the heck of it Girl Friends,an excellent Yuri series that realistically portrays how this kind of relationship could happen.Very cute and enjoyable read.

Sorry for the overload but just wanted to cover my bases. Hope this helps.

OK, I'll take those comments into account and try to check some of those manga out. Thanks. :)

Relish in Chaos:

Hmm...yeah, I do recall someone telling me that the story dips in quality after ------------

Oh, you spoiled it for yourself. Uh...huh.

You're specifically looking to read Death Note? Because there is, of course, the anime, which you can watch for free on Hulu, assuming you live in the Capital of the World (the US). I would strongly recommend it (either version, although I haven't read the manga), as it really is an excellent series.

I'm familiar with less than half of the other recommendations you've gotten, but in my eyes almost none of them hold a candle to Death Note. To each their own, of course.

I can't really give any alternative recommendations myself, as all I really do for manga is keep up with Shonen Jump and slowly work my way through Claymore.

Dr. Cakey:

Relish in Chaos:

Hmm...yeah, I do recall someone telling me that the story dips in quality after ------------

Oh, you spoiled it for yourself. Uh...huh.

Yeah. Not intentionally, though. It's just something that happens at times. It's not a big deal, though; I'd still want to watch a series or film even if a spoiler had been revealed to me, since part of the fun is seeing how it all plays out.

Dr. Cakey:
You're specifically looking to read Death Note? Because there is, of course, the anime, which you can watch for free on Hulu, assuming you live in the Capital of the World (the US). I would strongly recommend it (either version, although I haven't read the manga), as it really is an excellent series.

Well...I don't really mind either way, but you know...the manga's the original, and I've heard that the anime diverges...I guess I'll just see what suits me best. I've read the first manga volume. I might check out the anime when I've got a bit more free time.

Till volume 7 it's a flawless non mainstream shonen manga. After that it drops a bit in quality, still being amazingly good tough.

Still, you mention FMA and DB as mangas you like, given that I would recommend reading something like Slam Dunk (shonen/sports), One Piece (shonen/adventure, ongoing) , Hunter X Hunter (Shonen/AWESOMENESS, on hiatus) or Magi (shonen/supernatural, ongoing). In particular i have found that fans of FMA tend to like Magi.

Silver Spoon and the other mangas recommended by UncleUlty range from good to great, but I don't think they fit the bill of being close to FMA or being shonen in general. It might be better if you tell what you want to read and we go from there.

sextus the crazy:

"Shonen"? Not even remotely-close. Even Seinen is a bit of a stretch.

Relish in Chaos:
So, I was thinking, is it worth picking up more volumes of Death Note?

Does a psychological story about moral ambiguity in which an otherwise totally realistic world is suddenly introduced to a notebook that can kill anyone with simply a name written and a face in mind, all being set up in such a way that you really have to pay very close attention or else you'll probably get lost as you watch the amoral protagonist slowly start to lose his sanity through all the crazy events taking place and hyper analyses begin to take a toll on his mind interest you? It's a story not about strong power, but strong minds. If any of this interests you, then you're going to love Death Note. You could always look up the animé, as well.

Lugbzurg:

sextus the crazy:

nope. Totally, shonen. It was serialized in Shonen jump, for christsake. Just because it's a bit darker than most shonen doesn't change it.

sextus the crazy:

Lugbzurg:

sextus the crazy:

Just because it's a bit darker than most shonen doesn't change it.

It isn't darker than black though.

Speaking of which, Darker Than Black is a good anime to watch. It has been out for a few years in the west and has 25 episodes in the first season. It even has a reference to Death Note in it.

Back on topic, Death Note keeps a good pace, but I definitely felt there was a sharp drop in quality once Near and Mellow are introduced. I couldn't stand either of them. They are kind of like L if he were still a child (Near) and after he had a nervous breakdown (Mellow).

Tanakh:
Till volume 7 it's a flawless non mainstream shonen manga. After that it drops a bit in quality, still being amazingly good tough.

Still, you mention FMA and DB as mangas you like, given that I would recommend reading something like Slam Dunk (shonen/sports), One Piece (shonen/adventure, ongoing) , Hunter X Hunter (Shonen/AWESOMENESS, on hiatus) or Magi (shonen/supernatural, ongoing). In particular i have found that fans of FMA tend to like Magi.

Silver Spoon and the other mangas recommended by UncleUlty range from good to great, but I don't think they fit the bill of being close to FMA or being shonen in general. It might be better if you tell what you want to read and we go from there.

Yeah, I was always thinking of checking out One Piece at some point. I might check out Magi too. As for what I want to read...well, I'm open to various genres. I mean, right now, I've been reading Girl Friends online, because I felt like dipping my toe into manga around romance and LGBT themes, after having watched Wandering Son. It's pretty good so far.

Lugbzurg:

Relish in Chaos:
So, I was thinking, is it worth picking up more volumes of Death Note?

Does a psychological story about moral ambiguity in which an otherwise totally realistic world is suddenly introduced to a notebook that can kill anyone with simply a name written and a face in mind, all being set up in such a way that you really have to pay very close attention or else you'll probably get lost as you watch the amoral protagonist slowly start to lose his sanity through all the crazy events taking place and hyper analyses begin to take a toll on his mind interest you? It's a story not about strong power, but strong minds. If any of this interests you, then you're going to love Death Note. You could always look up the animé, as well.

Yes, that does interest me greatly. Talking of which, I recently reread my copy of the manga's first volume, and just watched the first four episodes of the dubbed anime (on YouTube), and I really like it so far. Both Light and Ryuk seem like compelling characters.

And the good thing is, there are only twelve volumes, so after I finish watching the anime, I don't have to spend quite so much money as other manga series to buy the complete collection of Death Note (I know there's a "thirteenth" volume, but that's apparently a guidebook, and I'm not so desperate to buy that).

But yeah, it seems considerably more psychologically deep than some other Shounen manga/anime I've read/watched. I shall continue to watch the anime eagerly.

Never read the manga, but watched the anime. It was the best anime that I never want to see again.

Relish in Chaos:
Yeah, I was always thinking of checking out One Piece at some point. I might check out Magi too. As for what I want to read...well, I'm open to various genres. I mean, right now, I've been reading Girl Friends online, because I felt like dipping my toe into manga around romance and LGBT themes, after having watched Wandering Son. It's pretty good so far.

Humm... you are not helping make this easier mate, there are hundreds of mangas worth reading and without knowing what you want it's kinda hard making a recommendation, but I declare myself almost totally ignorant on Shojo and Josei. Still if you are just looking for great mangas, there are some that no matter what you must read like (in no particular order):

- Something by Urasawa, I would recommend Pluto, feel that stuff like Monster or 2Xc Boys is far inferior.

- Akira, one of the greatest old shcool mangas of all time.

- Something by Inoue, I would recommend Slam Dunk, Vagabond and REAL are great too, but harder to read.

- One Piece, the more shonen i read, the more i can appreciate the greatness of One Piece, ongoing.

- Something By Toriyama, you already did with DB.

- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, another great old manga.

- Vinland Saga, probably the best action focused historical shonen manga, ongoing.

- Berserk, love and hate relationship, some arcs are great, other are waste of ink for me, ongoing.

- Lone Wolf and Cub, another classic old manga.

- Shingeki no Kyodai, shonen fantasy horror, one of the great mangas that are unknown, fuck it, from now on I'll just post very cool relatively unknown recent mangas, ongoing.

- Last Inning, a very cool seinen sports that looks like a shonen, ongoing.

- Dorohedoro, seinen fantasy with mystery, ongoing.

- I am a Hero, realistic zombie seinen manga, ongoing.

- Teppuu, Female Mixed Martial Arts Seinen manga, ongoing.

I am sure I am forgetting tons of great ones, some of those might be difficult and not enjoyable if you are just starting. And that's the thing mate, all the ones I listed are good or great (depending on your tastes), and I could keep going all afternoon, that's why I was asking about your tastes; and if you are going to buy only one printed manga, I would recommend Phoenix by Tezuka.

sextus the crazy:
nope. Totally, shonen. It was serialized in Shonen jump, for christsake. Just because it's a bit darker than most shonen doesn't change it.

It's not a typical shonen, and not everything serialized in Shonen Jump is shonen, they have the very very rare seinen and the much more common children series. But yeah, Death Note demographic is shonen.

Death Note was the series that got me into anime, and boy did that turn into a huge hobby of mine. I've never read the manga, so I can only vouch for its animated counterpart, and I'd say it's a very decent show.

I thought it had a clever set up, and resulting mind chess games were very engaging to watch, though it did come across as being a bit convoluted for the sake of being convoluted, however. Nevertheless it gave me the rush and I needed the next episode NAO.

Fun series to watch, I'd say.

Tanakh:

Relish in Chaos:

Humm... you are not helping make this easier mate, there are hundreds of mangas worth reading and without knowing what you want it's kinda hard making a recommendation, but I declare myself almost totally ignorant on Shojo and Josei. Still if you are just looking for great mangas, there are some that no matter what you must read like (in no particular order):

- Something by Urasawa, I would recommend Pluto, feel that stuff like Monster or 2Xc Boys is far inferior.

- Akira, one of the greatest old shcool mangas of all time.

- Something by Inoue, I would recommend Slam Dunk, Vagabond and REAL are great too, but harder to read.

- One Piece, the more shonen i read, the more i can appreciate the greatness of One Piece, ongoing.

- Something By Toriyama, you already did with DB.

- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, another great old manga.

- Vinland Saga, probably the best action focused historical shonen manga, ongoing.

- Berserk, love and hate relationship, some arcs are great, other are waste of ink for me, ongoing.

- Lone Wolf and Cub, another classic old manga.

- Shingeki no Kyodai, shonen fantasy horror, one of the great mangas that are unknown, fuck it, from now on I'll just post very cool relatively unknown recent mangas, ongoing.

- Last Inning, a very cool seinen sports that looks like a shonen, ongoing.

- Dorohedoro, seinen fantasy with mystery, ongoing.

- I am a Hero, realistic zombie seinen manga, ongoing.

- Teppuu, Female Mixed Martial Arts Seinen manga, ongoing.

I am sure I am forgetting tons of great ones, some of those might be difficult and not enjoyable if you are just starting. And that's the thing mate, all the ones I listed are good or great (depending on your tastes), and I could keep going all afternoon, that's why I was asking about your tastes; and if you are going to buy only one printed manga, I would recommend Phoenix by Tezuka.

Sorry, lol. I guess I'd say I'm into Shounen and Seinen, with action and/or psychological thriller themes. But I will check out some of those manga at some point. I think I'll watch some more Death Note now, though (I'm on episode 10 at the moment; it's really interesting).

Death Note is good, and one of the better psychological dramas I've encountered. It wrestles with interesting moral problems, has a good set of characters and one of the most interesting games of cat-and-mouse outsmarting I've ever seen.

And yes, as others have commented, the series does drop from 'great' to 'okay' about two thirds into the series after the event you had been spoiled for. I'm not going to spoil exactly why, but let's just say that things can't manage to stay quite as interesting after that certain turn of events.

Still, I'd say it's worth your time.

I thought Death Note was fairly interesting although it takes a pretty big downturn halfway through.

BERSERK is way up there but it's absurdly violent and dark. Not sure if it's for you.

All I know is that this is the best scene in the entire series:

OK, so I've finished the anime with episode 37 and...I'm still genuinely moved by the ending. I actually thought it stayed consistently brilliant throughout, with all the mind games between Light and L/Near (I did like Near), all the Kira stuff, what happened with Mello...I really liked it. It's amazing that it all just began from a Shinigami dropping a Death Note into the human world because he was bored.

Well...apart from a few niggles.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked