Favorite cast of characters

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

As the title says, tell your favorite character cast from a movie, game, book, comic, whatever.

My pick for movies would be the cast of Howl's Moving Castle.

Though the movie was less than stellar in my opinion (I hold it as the worst Ghibli film I've seen, though I haven't seen Tales of Earthsea), the characters were the best I've seen in a Ghibli film, and basically in any film overall. I've yet to see a character cast with as much personality, variety and color. They were without a doubt the best thing about the movie, and if the rest of it wasn't such a mess, it could have been the best Ghibli movie to date.

As for games, my pick would be Chrono Trigger's cast. It almost matches the previous one in terms of variety and personality, but because of a couple of weaker characters (Ayla and Frog for the most part) they didn't make such a lasting impression.

My favourite character in Howl's Moving Castle was Turniphead, but that's mainly because of my love for silent characters.

OT: As for me, my favourite cast of characters is from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Now people claim they're a bunch of selfish, fucked up individuals who are stuck in their past... And they're right - It's exactly why I love 'm. =)

The crew of Serenity from Firefly.

I love every single one of these characters.

They're all so shiny :D

Huh. I'm suprised you didn't say Cowboy Bebop, Daystar. Anyway that's my pick.

Casual Shinji:
My favourite character in Howl's Moving Castle was Turniphead, but that's mainly because of my love for silent characters.

OT: As for me, my favourite cast of characters is from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Now people claim they're a bunch of selfish, fucked up individuals who are stuck in their past... And they're right - It's exactly why I love 'm. =)

One thing about the characters in NGE that struck me was that the series has a very unusual development arc to all of them. If presented numerically, they would be at zero at the first episode, +10 at about halfway through, and at -20 by the end of the series. Practically everyone ended up in a worse situation by the end: fucked in the head, dead or otherwise screwed. The only one who got decent closure was Shinji, but that depends on what you consider the "real" ending.

The cast of Persona 4. Fecking duh!

Few games can rival this cast, and none surpass it. :D

Casual Shinji:

Damn right!

OT: I'm gunna go with either Gunslinger Girl, Madoka Magica, or Fire Emblem (2003)/ Awakening.

bartholen:

Casual Shinji:

One thing about the characters in NGE that struck me was that the series has a very unusual development arc to all of them. If presented numerically, they would be at zero at the first episode, +10 at about halfway through, and at -20 by the end of the series. Practically everyone ended up in a worse situation by the end: fucked in the head, dead or otherwise screwed. The only one who got decent closure was Shinji, but that depends on what you consider the "real" ending.

I think that was kind of the point. Atleast it was regarding Shinji. The first half of the series is spent building him up, introducing other people into his life one at a time. And the second half is spent breaking him down, and tearing everyone he knows away from him till he's all alone again. For all it's religious symbolism, the one concrete religious link the show has is to the story of Job.

Daystar Clarion:

I love every single one of these characters.

You are my BIG DAMN HERO for posting that!

Yeah, what Daystar said.

Since NGE was taken, I have to give my love to the Watchmen. It's fascinating how Alan Moore took pre-existing characters and changed them into the dysfunctional and sometimes psychotic individuals the team is made up of. Everyone has their own flaws, aspirations and motivations or lack of in the case of our neon-blue Superman. They're all so damn interesting!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Breaking Bad. Believable and flawed characters, love all of 'em. Even Skyler. Yes, Skyler.

Scott Pilgrim easily. I love all of them. There is not a single character that I think is even remotely 'okay' They are all fantastic.

I really like the cast of BlazBlue. The ENTIRE roster is awesome. Even if I hate Tager as a fighter because OH MY GOD CAN I MOVE MY CHARACTER?! I like him in his story sections regardless.

Then there's Makoto, Hazama and Mu-12 who I fucking ADORE above all else.

"The Earth! The Heavens! And a MILLION squirrels call to me!"

"Wait what? They don't?

"I'm really not the "fighting" kind of guy, y'know?" /trollface

"Dimensional Boundary Interface Link, Number Eleven. Anti Sakishin Core Unit Lambda, confirmed."

Mu vs Lambda is just so much Swag

SO MANY GOOD QUOTES

Also Persona 4 but really, people should know Persona 4 is best game in world by now anyway so why bother to point it out?

I'm partial to the crew from the Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron books.
Where else could a running joke of Wedge Antilles getting pranked by a junior officer actually turn into a plot point later? (they hacked into his transceiver and modulated his voice to sound like an Ewok)

PER-

The Wykydtron:
people should know Persona 4 is best game in world by now anyway so why bother to point it out?

.......sona 4.
Valkyria Chronicles also has a great cast. Even the quirky one-dimensional optional team members are a blast to have and are truly sad when they die. :'(

The entire cast of Fullmetal Alchemist. The only characters that I actively dislike are Winry and Mei. The rest are some of the most well-rounded bunch of fictional characters I've ever become invested in, and they feel so human as well - something that you don't get with a lot of other anime.

Who else could I have picked?

bartholen:
As the title says, tell your favorite character cast from a movie, game, book, comic, whatever.

My pick for movies would be the cast of Howl's Moving Castle.

Though the movie was less than stellar in my opinion (I hold it as the worst Ghibli film I've seen, though I haven't seen Tales of Earthsea), the characters were the best I've seen in a Ghibli film, and basically in any film overall. I've yet to see a character cast with as much personality, variety and color. They were without a doubt the best thing about the movie, and if the rest of it wasn't such a mess, it could have been the best Ghibli movie to date.

As for games, my pick would be Chrono Trigger's cast. It almost matches the previous one in terms of variety and personality, but because of a couple of weaker characters (Ayla and Frog for the most part) they didn't make such a lasting impression.

The ending was completely vague, but I truly loved that they put an 'elderly' lady as an active central character to the story.

Personally, I was a big fan of all these guys, because they played off each other so well.

For films, I'd say Pulp Fiction.

For series, I'd say either Castle or Sherlock.

For games I'd say Shadow Hearts or Final Fantasy IX (excl. Quina, who is just "there").

For graphical novel/comic, I'd say Thorgal or Asterix.

For books I'd say... Well, I don't really read a lot of fiction (and the ones I did read aren't worth to be considered).

Daystar Clarion:

... you basstard! _ My answer, give it back!

OT: The cast of GitS:SAC (since I can't pick Cowboy Bebop... -_- ), the Major's just pure awesome, Batou's amusing, Togusa's clueless, Aramaki's long-suffering, Saito's the storyteller etc. etc. Pity they didn't make more of Pazu, but eh...

That and... oh yes... Girls und Panzer... >_> ...

SUPER-HEROES: The X-Men.

MANGA: From Eroica With Love.

WESTERN NON-SUPERHERO COMICS: Asterix and c:o.

LITERATURE: A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

WEB ENTERTAINERS: Channel Awesome.

WEBCOMICS: The cast of Bruno.

The cast of Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex. They play off each other wonderfully.

Above all, Breaking Bad. There is not a single character in that show who is just there for the sake of being there. Everyone is amazingly characterized and exquisitely acted. (Yes, including Marie)
And Breaking Bad is host to my favorite character of all times Hector Salamanca "Ding"

Breaking Bad is the standout winner for best cast, for me.

The honerable mentions

Record of Agarest War has the second best cast, if only for a couple of dead weight characters (Stupid Fer)
But despite all that, it is home to at least 6 of my top 10 favorite characters

Avatar: The last Airbender has an amazing cast of characters with unbelievable chemistry and relationships for what is a kids show. It's also home to my second favorite character ever Toph Bei Fong

Red Vs. Blue. Nothing survives on the internet for 10 years without being fucking AMAZING!

Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Not Dragon Ball Z, but the parody version on Youtube...

For those of you who don't know...

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (The novel rather than the manga or film). I've never been so sad, excited, nervous or happy about a character I'd met only a page earlier as I had when reading this book. I think it's amazing that when so many minor minor characters have to be dispatched, you still get a real sense of character and feel the tragedy of every single one. I love them all (well, nearly all).

Steins;Gate is not the only cast where I have liked every individual but it is the one that made me go from "I am gonna hate every single one of these characters" after the first episode to actually getting emotional if something happened to any of them. Especially Okabe, I thought he was gonna grate on my nerves after the first few episodes but by the end he became one of my all time favourite characters. Also every girl is best girl goddamnit.

I should really play the visual novel at some point as well.

I can't pick only one.
Books.- The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Seriously, I loved evey single character. Masterfully crafted.

Films.- I really loved the cast of Amadeus, Let The Right One In, All About Lily Chou-Chou, City of God, Old Boy, Sympathy for Lady Vengance, Amores Perros, Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Video Games: Persona 3&4, The Witcher 2, Spec Ops The Line, Silent Hill 2, Team Fortress 2, Thief, Bioshock 1 & Infinite, Grim Fandango and killer7.

Series/Anime.- Neon Genesis Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Futurama, Spice and Wolf.

My choice is the cast from Kid Icarus: Uprising, any cast that has Hades is just the best, everyone is just so funny in their own way (but mostly Hades), and it is realy fun to replay the chapters just to hear the characters interact with eatch other, mainly the ones Hades is in).

Did i already mention that i love Hades, cause i don't think i did.

Well I'd have to go with Eureka seveN. I just love that show..

The first thing that pops into my head (it was on the other day) is Pulp Fiction. Even pretty minor characters like the Wolf are brilliant, and the Vincent/Jules double act is really awesome.

Pretty much all the Tarantino movies have a really solid cast, but I think Pulp wins (if not just for Jules). I never feel like a character is just there to fill a role in the story, they each have defined personalities, even minor parts (which makes it all the more effective when they die).

Defiantly those rascally con artist of Leverage Consulting and Associates!

Order of the Triad from the Venture bros since they aren't the main characters they have their own time and most of the time they have their own jokes and end up in the most retarded situations.

Dr Orpheus being my favourite character out of the 3.

For a series I must say Soul Eater since its not been said.
As many said above for examples, they have motivations, fears, friends, enemies, and a intersting character calle dChorna which i must say is my favorite person ever in all time.

for a movie Saving Private Ryan. Just 'Cause.

The cast of Friday Night Lights except for Jason Street. I don't care if you're a cripple, Street, you suck.

I almost said X-men, but then I realized there's a colossal number of them are awful. I don't know how that team has gone 40 years without disemboweling Storm.

The crew from archer:

Name one of these people who you don't like or hasn't made you laugh. Oh wait, you can't.

Atmos Duality:
I'm partial to the crew from the Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron books.
Where else could a running joke of Wedge Antilles getting pranked by a junior officer actually turn into a plot point later? (they hacked into his transceiver and modulated his voice to sound like an Ewok)

Are you partial to Rogues or Wraiths in particular? I'm more of a Rogue guy because of Corran Horn. Only he can make screwing a space otter seem sexy (And then immediately regretting it the day after).

As for my pick of favorite Cast:

This is only about a third of them. Of note missing in the picture is Nog, Rom, Garak, Martok, Cassidy Yates, Bareil, Dukat, Damar, Ezri, Ziyal, Gowron, Morn, and god knows how many others. It's an enormous cast of rotating characters, and nearly all of them share some interaction. Having the huge amount of regulars made DS9 special among the Trek shows, because it meant that past events were not forgotten, and consequences could arise from unresolved plotlines.

Soviet Heavy:

Are you partial to Rogues or Wraiths in particular? I'm more of a Rogue guy because of Corran Horn. Only he can make screwing a space otter seem sexy (And then immediately regretting it the day after).

I lean more towards the Rogues myself, though Face Lorraine and Wes Janson make a damn compelling case.
Especially when Wedge gets his revenge on Wes.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked