Football violence & fan violence in general.

Pages PREV 1 2

PunkRex:
I grew up around Millwall (New Cross Gate) and my dad used to 'run' with these idiots when he was younger. Im proud to say that he had the common sense to stop this stupid shit before he got to deep but its cunts like this who make me depise the area I grew up in. If your willing to hurt someone over something as petty as a fucking football game then I have no sympathy if you get your head smashed in by the police.

amen. lol

albino boo:
I also remember James Hooke dislocating a finger during a tackle running to the sideline getting the finger put back in and then running back to rejoin play. Mr Hookes desire to get on with game contrasts rather well the footballers habit of rolling on the ground for 5 minutes after having their shirt tugged.

It is infuriating when footballers do that, and I say this as a fan. But more often than not, it isn't because they are actually pussies, they're just making a meal of it so the referee punishes the other team.

Then there is the other side of the coin: You get goalkeepers and defenders making last ditch challenges to protect their goal, putting themselves at risk from getting a studded boot full force in the face, balls, or any other exceedingly painful place. Goalkeepers quote often get injured like this - after attempting to clear a ball away in a crowded area, Tim Krul dislocated a shoulder yesterday. For instance in the same game (Tyne and Wear derby), a Newcastle defender put in a diving header to clear the ball away as it hit the ground, about 2 inches away from the driving foot of a Sunderland player who would have scored had he got contact on the ball. Probably a millisecond away from a broken jaw.

So you do see both sides of the coin, with some footballers genuinely putting their safety on the line for their team.

Ashadowpie:
* sigh * its like people just turn into monkeys when they're in a crowd and around sports. hey, maybe it will stop if we ban Sports because its "ruining society" naawww the US alone blows too much useless money into there precious foodball to think twice about it even if 3,000 fans died because of the ridiculous Monkey violence.

bunch of moneys, go do an activity thats actually intelligent, maybe you'll even evolve a little from the experience? i sure hope you do, you silly monkey

It is, of course, impossible to be an intelligent person and still enjoy sports, right? No, no, far better to just blanket insult a vast majority of the world's population. Surely that won't come off as absurd in any way...

For those who are interested, we do have a Premier League user group. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Barclays-Premier-League

We don't strictly stay on topic, though, often discussing international games and the like, too.

Aris Khandr:

Ashadowpie:
* sigh * its like people just turn into monkeys when they're in a crowd and around sports. hey, maybe it will stop if we ban Sports because its "ruining society" naawww the US alone blows too much useless money into there precious foodball to think twice about it even if 3,000 fans died because of the ridiculous Monkey violence.

bunch of moneys, go do an activity thats actually intelligent, maybe you'll even evolve a little from the experience? i sure hope you do, you silly monkey

It is, of course, impossible to be an intelligent person and still enjoy sports, right? No, no, far better to just blanket insult a vast majority of the world's population. Surely that won't come off as absurd in any way...

For those who are interested, we do have a Premier League user group. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Barclays-Premier-League

We don't strictly stay on topic, though, often discussing international games and the like, too.

Ooh, I never even expected there would be a football group here! Please may I join?

Although I support a League 1 side (Shrewsbury Town) my Dad's a Man City fan and I see games with him, so I do know some about the Prem :)

It's open to everyone. Just click the link and push the "Join Group" button near the top.

Wadders:
join

Please do!!!

On Topic:

Well as has been said in most cases, people fight over everything, I mean here people are worried about people fighting in a football game once a week and that doesn't even happen every week. Drag your asses to Finland, here people fight every night outside the bar, and that's because someone got into their comfort zone i.e. 2 meters from them.

So yeah, it doesn't matter what sport you play, or what game you play, or what kind of anything you like. There are always going to be people ruining it for everyone else. Stop your petty generalisations and face facts, I bet there are hooligans among chess fans too!!

distortedreality:

prophecy2514:
The relatively new soccer competition the A-league, have already had riots and unruly behaviour resulting in stadium damage at a couple of games this season. It's sad to see that hooliganism is a part of soccer culture so soon in Australia

le snip

I may have been a little harsh, seeing as I dont attend the a-league week in week out, but mis-informed, no.

I have been to a couple of A-league games thanks to my soccer loving ex-girlfriend, and the three times that I have went to A-league games (Melbourne Victory), I have at least seen one fight start out outside the stadium that was racially motivated.

We could throw around anecdotes all day here, in my experience though, the soccer seems to bring out the more extreme of sports supporters than the AFL does, but in your experience it might be the total opposite.

prophecy2514:

distortedreality:
[quote="prophecy2514" post="18.405737.16866151"]The relatively new soccer competition the A-league, have already had riots and unruly behaviour resulting in stadium damage at a couple of games this season. It's sad to see that hooliganism is a part of soccer culture so soon in Australia

le snip

I may have been a little harsh, seeing as I dont attend the a-league week in week out, but mis-informed, no.

I have been to a couple of A-league games thanks to my soccer loving ex-girlfriend, and the three times that I have went to A-league games (Melbourne Victory), I have at least seen one fight start out outside the stadium that was racially motivated. I don't ever see this when I attend AFL games, although racial remarks are slurred at the players by the extremist supporters, it is far more fewer and far between, and as you've said, alcohol is an important factor influencing this behaviour.

We could throw around anecdotes all day here, in my experience though, the soccer seems to bring out the more extreme of sports supporters than the AFL does, but in your experience it might be the total opposite and thats fine

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked