Sweden Moves Towards Gender Neutrality [Support Thread]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

This is utterly silly. and the removal of toys is stupid to boot.

Also I got a good laugh out of the "No other opinions!" disclaimer at the bottom.

Ilikemilkshake:

ANYWAY... I don't have much to add about the topic other than it makes me pretty happy and I wish something like that would be done here in Britain.

The english version is saying 'one' or 'they'

Gendered Example: "If he agrees, he is more than welcome to stay."
Genderless Example: "If one agrees, they are more than welcome to stay."

I still don't get what people have against just plain old gender equality. Why should we strive for the total eradication of gender lines?

I'm interested to see how this pans out. Has anything like this ever been done or studied before? Because there might be some interesting side effects, not that I'd know what they might be.
Anyway, props to Sweden for doing it, at least. I doubt it will catch on anytime soon though.

Ilikemilkshake:
It will probably inhibit discussion, there's only so much you can say on the positive side of things when you don't have any dissenting opinions to work with but to those saying it's stupid to have a 'positive only' thread, I'm really not seeing it.

If I made the Mass Effect appreciation thread and said, "please if you want to moan about the ending or anything else there are plenty of other threads for that, just talk about what you loved about the game here." What would be wrong with that? Sometimes you just don't want the thread getting hijacked and then locked.

Allow me to explain :D

First of all my friend you pointed out the glaring issue with positive only thread in your first sentence. There is really nothing to be gained from threads where everyone alreay has the same opinion. Your Mass Effect thread is different because you are asking others for their opinions on what they liked. One person may like what another person doesn't. One person may like the Citadel design in ME1 but not ME2. Point is you are ASKING FOR THEIR INPUT. This thread is saying HEY EVERYONE! TALK ABOUT THIS THING THAT HAPPENED SPECIFICALLY THE WAY I WANT YOU TO. (and already did) There isn't room for people to say anything unique, offer insight, or anything that may be seen as dissenting by the OP. Which is to say, nothing the OP didn't already say. These are the threads that deserve to be locked. There is no point in redundancy.

If all he wanted was a bunch of people congratulating him and Sweden for their support of this specific idea, then allow me to add this video which will remove the need for this thread. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/oyFQVZ2h0V8

Abomination:

Casual Shinji:
Gender neutral words and toys!? Wha-... why?

When did it happen that being called 'he' or 'she' is suddenly not done?

Looks like worldpeace can only be achieved by forcing everyone to be the same. No distinction, no flavor, just a saltless grey society.

We must force an Equilibrium.

Then we can use math to shoot each other.

Good on Sweden for introducing a gender neutral word? I'll pass though, prefer to be called male.

We must all be the same, look the same, and act the same to avoid offending anyone. If only equality and sameness weren't... the same.

Oh right, they're not!

krazykidd:
So what? This is a positive thread only? No place for criticision or opinion? Thus no discussion? Really ? Well that makes this thread pretty ...boring . I was looking for flame wars , but peoples opinion would be nice. Anyways, i think this is silly but since this is a "positive" thread i'll just leave it at that . If i had something positive to say it would be i applaud them on having the courage and will to support change .

Same here. I find it very silly when the OP states in his post that there's no room for different opinions in his thread. What the hell are we going to discuss then?

Desert Punk:

Also I got a good laugh out of the "No other opinions!" disclaimer at the bottom.

Ilikemilkshake:

ANYWAY... I don't have much to add about the topic other than it makes me pretty happy and I wish something like that would be done here in Britain.

I've seen that used, but I think it's awkward and frankly just a bit too posh to catch on. We could benefit from something like the Swedish word, but "hen" already has female connotations so it wouldn't work.

Casual Shinji:

Abomination:

Casual Shinji:
Gender neutral words and toys!? Wha-... why?

When did it happen that being called 'he' or 'she' is suddenly not done?

Looks like worldpeace can only be achieved by forcing everyone to be the same. No distinction, no flavor, just a saltless grey society.

We must force an Equilibrium.

Then we can use math to shoot each other.

Good on Sweden for introducing a gender neutral word? I'll pass though, prefer to be called male.

We must all be the same, look the same, and act the same to avoid offending anyone. If only equality and sameness weren't... the same.

Oh right, they're not!

I am offended by everyone trying to copy me and my sameness. It feels like they're taking the Mickey.

Pinkamena:

krazykidd:
So what? This is a positive thread only? No place for criticision or opinion? Thus no discussion? Really ? Well that makes this thread pretty ...boring . I was looking for flame wars , but peoples opinion would be nice. Anyways, i think this is silly but since this is a "positive" thread i'll just leave it at that . If i had something positive to say it would be i applaud them on having the courage and will to support change .

Same here. I find it very silly when the OP states in his post that there's no room for different opinions in his thread. What the hell are we going to discuss then?

Don't you see it's the next step in equality for all mankind; Neutral discussion.

OhJohnNo:

Desert Punk:

Ilikemilkshake:

I've seen that used, but I think it's awkward and frankly just a bit too posh to catch on. We could benefit from something like the Swedish word, but "hen" already has female connotations so it wouldn't work.

New things are always a bit awkward when you first start using them. If ya keep at it it will become more and more normal.

If English really wanted to come up with their own (Silly) words for gender neutrality I agree with Futurama!

Froggy Slayer:
'I do not have gender as you know, and as such 'he' and 'her' are inaccurate descriptors. Hence I shall be reffered to as 'shklim' or 'shkler'.'

ImmortalDrifter:
If all he wanted was a bunch of people congratulating him and Sweden for their support of this specific idea, then allow me to add this video which will remove the need for this thread. Enjoy.

I love the comments thread on that video xD

Maybe the Escapist team could arbitrarily turn every post in this thread into "Congratulations!"?

That'd be worth a good laugh.

While I can understand the sentiment, this seems to be taking anti-sexism to an interesting direction...

Hagi:

ImmortalDrifter:

I love the comments thread on that video xD

Maybe the Escapist team could arbitrarily turn every post in this thread into "Congratulations!"?

That'd be worth a good laugh.

Mods... I know I haven't always been a good man. I've made mistakes. I'm not proud of some of the things I did to earn the two warnings that tarnish my profile. But please.... Enact this guy's idea... The larf would be of such monumental proportion that the very fabric of reality would bend beneath its wake. You know that would be sweet mods. C'mon.

Abomination:
I am offended by everyone trying to copy me and my sameness. It feels like they're taking the Mickey.

Well, now you just destroyed any hope for worldpeace with your individual thoughts.

I hope you're happy.

can someone explain to me why gender distinction is a bad thing? i seriously don't get it. i understand the struggle for equal treatment of women of course, but this? why would...what?!

some people seriously get offended by something as basic? oh come on..

Here's the thing about the word 'hen' here in Swe that you don't hear if you aren't "within the borders" (Swe is brilliant at creating an awesome international image of itself, but that's bending the truth.)

Outside Stockholm and its protected "little sphere", it's generally laughed and scoffed at. Personally, I see it as an easy word to write instead of "him or her" (so I don't dislike it as such), but its actual purpose remains useless.

It's a simple way for politicians, strawfeminists and other "Politically Correct" people (who are oversaturated in Sweden to begin with) to gain kudos points. The bottomline is that adding a word does absolutely nothing. It's an empty gesture. It contributes nothing, other than turning people on the fence against feminism/equality even further because they find it silly and destructive. People have been called misogynistic and anti-feminist because they don't like the word, which is a common modus operandi with everything here in Swe.

IMO, equality comes from high political levels and through a dialogue with the people, not through adding silly words. Through action, not empty PC talk. Calling a boy "hen" in the belief that calling him "he" triggers negative masculine traits simply serves to create resistance to the whole hijacked movement. (There's a debate storming regarding all this, but most of it is in Swedish.)

And, yea, expecting only positive reinforcement in a forum thread is hilarious.

Gender neutrality and gender equality is not the same thing.

Consciously removing the differences from the language does not remove the difference in biology, psychology and physiology no matter how much one wishes to do that.
Inequality and discrimination will still happen, only now there's an umbrella of "gender neutrality" to hide behind. And if differences and arguments have to be settled by promoting that gender is the cause, then the very nature of gender neutrality have allready failed.

Furthermore, removing difference because one gender wants one or the other, like young boys wanting to play with things that stimulates their natural motor skills or young girls wanting to play with things that stimulates their natural empathic skills, only serves to remove the options from the opposite gender. Boys will no longer be allowed to play with dolls and girls can't play with cars if they want.

That only serves to create some very dysfunctional and motorically and emotionally illequipped young people and not these wonderfull, nondiscriminatory young people that swedish gender experts seems to think will appear.

This is not a matter of nature versus nurture, it's both, males will still have more testoterone from a young age than females, and females will still have more estrogen than males from a young age, both these hormones as well as the neurophysiological differences will still have equal say to the way they are nurtured, and removing gender identity will not have any positive effect on the symbiotical relationship of these two factors.

Some boys want to play with dolls when they are young and some girls wants to play with cars, the solution is to let them and not discriminate or tolerate behaviour that says otherwise, not removing linguistic gender characteristics, because the people looking at them will still know the gender and have expectations based on it since -nothing- is done to sort out the inherent judgemental expectations of society.

Furthermore, most, if not all, the research and general knowledge that asserts how children should act and react when they grow up, is based on females. Kindergarten, preschool, school, high school, all are build upon perceptions on how females react to them. Females are at that age, evolutionary, emotionally and physiologically better tuned for sitting still and listening for long periods of time.

Calling them "hen" won't make males any more capable of doing all this.

Kathinka:
can someone explain to me why gender distinction is a bad thing? i seriously don't get it. i understand the struggle for equal treatment of women of course, but this? why would...what?!

some people seriously get offended by something as basic? oh come on..

It's the sledgehammer method of hammering in the bent nail of gender equality.

All that matters is nobody gets caught on it and damn the collateral.

Rather than the slow and difficult task of allowing gender equality to occur organically now that we have equal legal standing some people want to skip those growing pains.

Swede here and I'm outside the Stockholm 'bubble', that PodPilot mentioned, of complete and utter disregard for the rest of the country's values and needs.

I got to say that this won't serve the movements purpose at all. The two genders are different, that is a fact. On every level. What we have to do is acknowledge those differences and then strive to not let them interfere with our behaviour as individual people and society as a whole. Simply referring to both genders as a singular pronoun will only change the word used when you need a pronoun. If you don't use it you aren't politically correct and thus branded as a caveman.

My aunt moved to Stockholm and two years later came back for a visit, bringing the glory of 'Hen' to the unwashed masses.

We were less than amused.

I've got a lot of sympathy for this idea, and I'm interested in how it will turn out.

However, the genderedness of language doesn't seem to have much to do with how gendered the culture is. Compare the ungendered Chinese language with the heavily gendered French language.

I don't really agree with stopping kids playing with what they want though. Everyone should be free to play with dolls or cars or whatever else.

It seems like everyone has missed the point.

Hen is not a replacement for Han & Hon (He and She), it is there as an alternative when you're not talking abour specific genders. It's more like replacing the pronoun 'it' or 'that', when refering to a human being whose gender you don't know, instead of having to say it or him/her.

Here's an example of how it would be used:
"I'm pretty sure a transgendered person would be offended if people called him/her 'hen'."
You could say "called it him/her", but that would be rude as hell.

So stop whining about PCness and stuff. You're missing the point.

With that said, I'd like to say that I find that hen to be stupid. Stupid and grammatically incorrect.

People have forgotten that humans are animals and instinctive by nature, and the differences in hormones and the like in each gender do make a lot of differences between the two. Sure, there's exceptions but there are a lot of differences in the way a man and a woman thinks because of thousands of years of evolution. Simply ignoring this is not the way to make people happy. I do agree that you need to have a gender-neutral pronoun in a language, but only because of practicality instead of gender equality because sometimes you just don't know what sex the person you're speaking to has, or you have to speak to a large group of people.

Gender deconstruction is a terrible idea, both the genders are equal in worth but they have very big differences and roles. Hypothetically if you let a little boy identify as a girl, have fantasies of being a mother and carrying a baby in a womb that can lead to some issues in later life. There are physical differences, if you claim that race and gender are social constructions you have to go up against years of confirmed genetic science.

Mr F.:
Its a step in the right direction. Breaking down how genders are constructed is the easiest way of creating equality. In a way it is similar to the Marxist view on race (Race being a construction, not a reality). This fits in with my own view on race relations and the end of racism.

Equal societies are what this world should strive for. Things like this give me a little bit more hope for humanity in general. I fucking love Sweden, I think I should just give up, learn Swedish and move. I am sick of the morally bankrupt little rock I live on.

"Race is a construction, not a reality" Please elaborate? The Marxist view of race, gender and class is a flawed idea because it says that everyone is a victim of a broken system and everyone is both oppressed and oppressor. It's a theory composed of a victim complex ideology that insists in poking holes in a system. It's cool to look at things differently with a different mind set but fucking with things practically like the raising of children (putting them in a gender neutral environment) without prior controlled experiments is highly unethical.

I'm a Swede, and even though I'd usually respect the OP's request to keep this thread positive by simply moving along, I refuse to since this 'hen' business is completely stupid.

First of all, men and women are different. That's just a fact. We think differently, act differently, and that's not bad. We should celebrate the fact that we are different instead of trying to force everyone into being the same grey sludge with no identity.

Secondly, these gender-neutral words are already a complete and utter failure since they aren't neutral. 'Hen' is the feminine term, 'hum' is the masculine term. If there are feminine and masculine terms of a gender-neutral word then how the fuck can it be neutral?

Let boys be boys and girls be girls. And if the boys want to play with GI Joe's and the girls want to play with My Little Pony's they should be able to do that without some whackjob telling them that it's wrong because they aren't acting gender-neutral.

Gods, are people in this thread actually supporting the concept of gender roles?

OhJohnNo:
Gods, are people in this thread actually supporting the concept of gender roles?

I don't support "gender roles". I do support genders though :D

Toilet:
Gender deconstruction is a terrible idea,

Opinion?

both the genders are equal in worth

If they are equal, why not replace them with just one term then

but they have very big differences and roles

Differences, yes. From a physical point of view. Roles? Currently, but the aim of this is to get RID of those roles.

Hypothetically if you let a little boy identify as a girl, have fantasies of being a mother and carrying a baby in a womb that can lead to some issues in later life.

Slippery Slope. Illogical. Adding a gender neutral term and encouraging its uses is not the same as encouraging little boys to be little girls. Transgendered persons are born the way they are, not constructed by society. Well, that is what I believe. Some people think that is open to debate.

There are physical differences, if you claim that race and gender are social constructions you have to go up against years of confirmed genetic science.

Well, that is what Social Science does. With regards to Race and science, there is "Race Science". It has been proven to be bullshit before and it will be proven to be bullshit again. As for gender? Gender is a social construction. Sex is not. Biological differences are not. But gender is. I would direct you towards Judith Butler.

Mr F.:
Its a step in the right direction. Breaking down how genders are constructed is the easiest way of creating equality. In a way it is similar to the Marxist view on race (Race being a construction, not a reality). This fits in with my own view on race relations and the end of racism.

Equal societies are what this world should strive for. Things like this give me a little bit more hope for humanity in general. I fucking love Sweden, I think I should just give up, learn Swedish and move. I am sick of the morally bankrupt little rock I live on.

"Race is a construction, not a reality" Please elaborate? The Marxist view of race, gender and class is a flawed idea

Well, it is flawed if you assume Marxism is flawed. If you do not, because you are a Marxist who believes in Marxist ideology... Well yeah.

because it says that everyone is a victim of a broken system and everyone is both oppressed and oppressor. It's a theory composed of a victim complex ideology that insists in poking holes in a system. It's cool to look at things differently with a different mind set but fucking with things practically like the raising of children (putting them in a gender neutral environment) without prior controlled experiments is highly unethical.

One could argue that it is just as unethical to raise children in a gendered environment. This is not a case of pleasing trans people (Although that would help, I know my sister James would love a simplistic gender-neutral pronoun. And I would. It would make things less confusing when I refer to my sister James. Who is non-gender-specific. Not trans. Hence sister.) it is a case of creating equality.

From the point of view of people like me, gender roles are essentially a bad thing because they reinforce inequality. There is no real reason why there are fewer female engineers for example. With the vast majority of jobs these days there is no reason a woman cannot perform equally to a man.

Doing away with genders (But not sex) would help break down sexism because it would make things much more equal. That is the aim of this project.

As for the view on race?

From a genetic point of view there are fewer differences between the races then there is diversity within the races. Races are a social construct, as evidenced by the fact that as you move between regions you are treated differently. Think about it, in America a black American is an African American, in Britain they are... Well, thats harder to define, could be Afro-Caribbean. If you look through history, the terms used, and the amounts of races, have been in constant flux.

If there is no set in stone definition of race then race is a social construct, created by society. If you were to break down the very language used to describe the different races, break down their use as a whole, one could theoretically break down race and remove it. This is the logic shared by some Sociologists. As for genetic science? Well, many of the theories on race created by science have been proven to be a load of bollocks. Yes, it is a fact that you can roughly work out what geographical region someone is from based on their DNA, however as time passes that will fade out.

To put it simply: Race can be shown to be a social construct rather then a biological one.

ImmortalDrifter:

OhJohnNo:

I don't support "gender roles". I do support genders though :D

Oh no, I wasn't referring to you. But when it seems like a significant number of people in the thread actually believe that separate can be equal, I get worried.

No one in their right mind could ever think it a good reason to monitor which gender uses what products (kids playing with toys etc), where would this result in gender equality?

This whole "hen" thing has become little more than a joke from what I've witnessed as well. Those who use the word in all its splendor are those with little to no understanding at all in the matter at hand, and should you try to hold a civilized argumentation they will all sing the same song much like a broken record. The other only use I ever get is (apart from the obvious feministic politicians) in newer comedy scetches. A good friend of mine enjoys writing poetry and I'd like to quote a brief section of one of her recent creations:

"Den enda anledningen
till att jag vill kallas för "hen"
är att jag hatar kvinnor lika mycket som män."

which translates into:

"The only reason
for me to want to be called "hen"
is because I hate women as much as I hate men."

I'm not in any way against the idea of gender equality, quite the opposite actually. I myself cannot fathom the idea that women should in any way not have the same rights as men. The sudden surfacing of a genderless pronoun will not achieve this though, linguistics will not equal politics. There are so many other things going on in Sweden regarding this topic that could have an actual impact, hell I think it was last Thursday on my way to university I some adverticement on the bus for a university with actual mandatory feminism courses.

But well I'm from Gothenburg and not Stockholm, so I guess I'm just not one of the enlightened few. And as a clarification to OP since I'm not allowed to disagree; I'm not against the practice you have posted about, I'm against certain means (mainly the toy business) and completely indifferent to some others ("hen").

Sunrider84:
Swede here, and I don't approve of something as silly as "Hen". Equality and deconstructivism isn't the same thing. We should strive for equality of rights, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make distinctions between the two. Men and women aren't the same, and that's a bloody good thing.

Sorry old friend, gonna disagree with you on "hen".

It is NOT to be used INSTEAD OF "han" or "hon", it's to be used to compliment them. As in:

P1: "The doctor told me I have to stop drinking alcohol =("

P2: "Really? Why did hen say that?" <-- Speaker does not know gender of doctor

P1: "He said something bullshitty about my liver being shot."

P2: "Wow, he sure sounds like a douche!" <-- Speaker now knows gender of doctor

If you start referring to people whose gender you KNOW as "hen", that's a bit weird. Unless of course they themselves consider themselves intersex or something, but that's a whole different can of worms.

There are plenty of languages that have had a gender-neutral pronoun (Finnish for example) and some that have ONLY had gender neutral pronouns (Persian for example) for centuries; none of these cultures deny the existence of male and female and try to blend us all into a homogeneous gloop.

Having said all that, I still don't use hen in my everyday language because I'm not used to it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the option being there!

There are men, there a women, there are people who consider themselves none of the above. "Hen" does not take this away - except in the hands of crazy people - it simply makes communication a little easier. IMPO that is.

I am a swede myself. It's worth pointing out that the change is far from unanimously agreed on, there's been a so called "hen-debate" going on the last couple of years between the people who oppose the new word and the people who support it. It flared up pretty significantly about half a year ago if I remember correctly.

Personally I am a little split towards it. On one hand I am totally in favor of what it tries to accomplish. Traditionally Swedish has always used masculine pronoun when gender is unknown or irrelevant, which there in today's society is really no good reason for, hence the new word. It's essentially a less cumbersome replacement for him/her, in the hopes that it will get a more widespread use, and that's not an entirely bad idea.

On the other had, I'm enough of a geek to have opinions on people trying to force change into language into either changing or staying the same. Language should evolve naturally, and not be forced one way or the other. Don't ask me why, it's just one of my peeves.

Ultimately though, I'm OK with "hen". It's a little awkward to use at the moment, but if it manages to catch on I think it's a pretty good idea.

... I ignore your request and say: this is absurd.

I haven't quite thought up why, yet, but this reminds me strongly of the Human Being mascot in Community. This is so inoffensive, it is offensive. You have made such a big deal out of genders that you have, in your attempt to create a cheap way out, skipped the issues that made acknowledging genders offensive and actually created a completely different conundrum.

Bad Sweden. Very bad Sweden.

I initially refrained from commenting on this thread for the sake of the OP...But since this thread has gone exactly how i expected it to go i'll offer my thoughts.

I don't approve of gender de-construction. I understand the rationale as to how feminists may regard it as inherently oppressive- but my gender is part of my identity and i don't wish to lose that type of identity. Being a man i'm aware of societies expectations of me, and i accept those expectations better and for worse. I'd rather face the challenges that come with my gender than not have any gender identity at all. Obviously i think people should be free to entirely disregard gender expectations if they wish to- that's up to them. Of course, boys playing with dolls and girls driving race-cars goes against gender expectations and they're going to feel the pressure going against those expectations. But, i'm not willing to remove all those expectations about how genders behave purely for their sake- because my gender identity is important. The point is though that people should be free to go against the grain as it were.

I also think that our sex influences a significant amount of our behaviour anyway- and that gender expectations are reflections of what men and women are genetically pre-disposed to do. Which is why i'm scepical that these kind of initiatives in Sweden will work in the long run.

I'm Swedish and don't really mind the use of hen. I've never heard it used in speech, I think it is mostly meant to be used in situations where the gender of the one who is spoken of is simply irrelevant. Thus I dont think it is meant to be used as a form of gender deconstruction, but mostly just to make certain topics easier. Like if newspapers write about a suspect the gender shouldn't really be important and thus the use of hen might be suitable.

Anyway it hasn't really found broad use yet but some newspapers have started using it sparingly so it will probably gain traction as time goes, and why not? It certainly doesn't hurt anyone nor does it take away from other fights for equality between the sexes.

Mr F.:

From the point of view of people like me, gender roles are essentially a bad thing because they reinforce inequality. There is no real reason why there are fewer female engineers for example. With the vast majority of jobs these days there is no reason a woman cannot perform equally to a man.

Sure there is: freedom of choice and nature. I read an interesting article in which they interviewed a Professor in Biology who wrote a book approaching social things from an evolutionary point of view. And a lot of things which may appear as baseless from a biological point of view are actually caused by nature. Take for instance the more career-oriented attitude of men and the more family oriented attitude of women. You might think this is caused by gender-role brainwashing, but it has very good biological reasons. First one is the fact women are 100% that they are the parent of their children (ok, nowadays with insemination it's not 100% true anymore) while fathers are not. On top of that women are much more limited to the amount of kids they can have than men. Hence why men are generally less family oriented, from a biological point of view their progeny means less.

And now to the freedom of choice part. I read an other article which actually was about the counter-feminist attitude more and more women take. More and more women in Belgium chose to follow the old "patriarchal" model where they put family before career and they're happy nowadays they can again do so without fearing feminists to lash out on them. And they don't do this because they are told to do it but because they WANT it.

Doing away with genders (But not sex) would help break down sexism because it would make things much more equal. That is the aim of this project.

And is "removing" the already heavily decreasing sexism worth enforcing a concept people from both genders reject?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked