Are you also frustrated with people in general?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I am. More often than not people just frustrate me and get on my nerves. Lately I'm often losing sleep over it. I often feel like I'm the only person in the entire world who thinks longer than 5 seconds. Everything can be discussed with me, as it's a part of my personality. I like discussing things, without fighting over who is right, of course, but it seems impossible for me to find a good friend or a reasonable person willing to do that too. Why is honestly telling another person about how you feel about something so negatively viewed?

It seems that every subject I bring up to my elders comes with the general response of: "Again with the difficult questions?", "How should I know?", "I'm tired because I went to work.", "Thinking is HAAARD.". And with people of my age (18-24) I get the general response of: "... durr?". People on the internet? "I can typing! Oops, my brain fell out again!" or "Go to a psychiatrist to get your head straightened out.", which does not help. I don't need a psychiatrist because I feel perfectly fine with who I am.

Are there Escapists who also feel the way that I do?

Seems relevant.

Some people don't like to think much, and that's fine, the simple life is some times the one that people want the most.

I tend to agree, but then if I went forwards 5 years, future-me should be pissed off with current me for my ignorance and limited perspective on things.

Daystar Clarion:
Seems relevant.

Well, your image implies that there are definately other people who think, but just aren't talking to each other, which is fine, for me. But my problem lies more with people that are just downright lazy. They say something (an idea or an argument) and then don't feel like properly backing up the argument they brought up in the first place. Or when I bring something up to ask a person his opinion, and he's all "... meh." and passive about it.

I find that people who are "frustrated with people" are usually either just angry on the inside or just want to make themselves feel intelligent and opinionated by objectifying the rest of the world and acting like it's not good enough for them. We all have our problems with people, but this is normal. I know it sounds corny but we're all different, so there are bound to be clashes.

I've also noticed a lot of people become very snobby and self-righteous when someone else is not necessarily an intellectual. Some people aren't interested in philosophy or politics. Why can't people just accept that instead of instantly jumping to the conclusion that they must be too 'stupid' or too 'lazy' to like philosophy or politics.

DoctorObviously:
But my problem lies more with people that are just downright lazy. They say something (an idea or an argument) and then don't feel like properly backing up the argument they brought up in the first place. Or when I bring something up to ask a person his opinion, and he's all "... meh." and passive about it.

Depends on the issue and the circumstance. If it's a subject they find personal or painful, something that is brought up over and over by people who want to attack them over it rather than discuss it, fair enough if they don't want to go through it again.

I find this with a lot of people. I work in construction, and a lot of people there have these ass-backward opinions that "You're young, you shouldn't bother looking for a serious relationship, a woman is just a hole for you to stick your cock into" or "I do all the hard work for my lazy good for nothing wife who gave up her job so that she could stay home and make food for me, clean up after my messes, and raise our kids" or "People who watch what they eat for the sake of their health are depriving themselves and wasting their time, they're just gonna die anyway" And then there's the people who take the whole "people are stupid" way of thinking to an extreme. They hold petty grudges for the slightest of perceived offenses, get extremely paranoid, and jump to the stupidest of conclusions.

The world is infested with assholes, but having a few good people around you is enough to make it well worth living in.

DoctorObviously:
Well, your image implies that there are definately other people who think, but just aren't talking to each other, which is fine, for me. But my problem lies more with people that are just downright lazy. They say something (an idea or an argument) and then don't feel like properly backing up the argument they brought up in the first place. Or when I bring something up to ask a person his opinion, and he's all "... meh." and passive about it.

Actually what that picture implies is that alot of the people you may think are stupid or lazy very likely think the exact same thing about you.

Speaking just for myself as I imagine I'd probably fall under your category of lazy or clueless people I'll just say that I'm smart enough to realise when I'm talking about something beyond my grasp and even if I have a strong opinion on it I'll sometimes prefer to change the subject or back down rather than risk saying something stupid.

Also some people probably just have no interest in having a debate or some random issue when you bring it up... It dosen't mean they're stupid or lazy they just might not want to do it, no one should presume to know what goes on in someone elses head as you have no idea how you may appear to them.

King Billi:

DoctorObviously:

Actually what that picture implies is that alot of the people you may think are stupid or lazy very likely think the exact same thing about you.

Speaking just for myself as I imagine I'd probably fall under your category of lazy or clueless people I'll just say that I'm smart enough to realise when I'm talking about something beyond my grasp and even if I have a strong opinion on it I'll sometimes prefer to change the subject or back down rather than risk saying something stupid.

Also some people probably just have no interest in having a debate or some random issue when you bring it up... It dosen't mean they're stupid or lazy they just might not want to do it, no one should presume to know what goes on in someone elses head as you have no idea how you may appear to them.

Fair point, I admit.

That is why I like to come on The Escapist, because it is filled with the kind of people that you mentioned you wish you could talk too. I am in the same boat, I don't really know anyone in person who likes to discuss or just plain talk about things and much as I do, so I remain silent.

Even if it is only typing, The Escapist is still a joy sometimes to converse with people.

Yes. Always. That is why i dont drive.
I get irratated for people walking slow. Imagine what it would be like is I were in a car!

DoctorObviously:

Daystar Clarion:
Seems relevant.

If you come off argumentative then people go passive and don't want to talk about it because they don't want to waste the energy on something as pointless as that. You may find a good debate entertaining, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

I'm frustrated with people because I don't want them to talk to me because I don't care about what they have to say.

All the time, OP. I'm not particularly shy; I'll open up if there is something interesting to talk about, but for the most part peoples' conversations are often pointless, so I remain silent. These people aren't stupid, they just don't interest me. I'm glad I've got friends with whom I can discuss things in depth, but there aren't that many of them, and it can be frustrating.

DoctorObviously:
I am. More often than not people just frustrate me and get on my nerves. Lately I'm often losing sleep over it. I often feel like I'm the only person in the entire world who thinks longer than 5 seconds.

Everyone thinks that same thing.

The answer to the original question is no, I'm not. But then, I'm not a teenager any more. I've never really done melodrama.

5-0:
All the time, OP. I'm not particularly shy; I'll open up if there is something interesting to talk about, but for the most part peoples' conversations are often pointless, so I remain silent. These people aren't stupid, they just don't interest me. I'm glad I've got friends with whom I can discuss things in depth, but there aren't that many of them, and it can be frustrating.

I'm glad somebody 'gets' my point.

I think you're just evolving, thing is, it's only like a third of your way down the progress bar. Everyone gets to that stage, then when you get a certain amount of experience dealing with it, something else comes along.

Get addicted to endorphins. That kind of chemical dependency will make life sweet every single day.

I find most people are decent but no one is perfect.

You're not some special person who is just so much cleverer than everyone else. You happen to be interested by different things. I'll happily have a conversation about mathematics with anyone who'll listen, but other subjects bore me. It doesn't mean that I think more than they do- that's ridiculous. They think just as much as I do, just about different things.
If you want to find someone to talk to, here's a tip- talk about something they're interested in. If you don't want to, then good luck finding that rare person who has exactly the same interests as you.
Oh, and remember- you are 'other people' to someone else.

I'm not frustrated with people as a whole, I'm just frustrated with some people's behaviour.

Namely, the fact that some of the people I work with cannot follow simple instructions. So, naturally, I end up being one of the people who has to try and clean up after them and generally make it right.

Then again, I'm pretty sure you're naturally more predisposed to dislike/be irritated by humanity if you work in a public-facing role, just because you get exposed to the more entitled side of people (not to mention that you get to see their less appealing traits on a regular basis).

Oh yeah, totally. I feel the same exact way, but only with people who were born in the 1990s. I just don't think we can relate on any level whatsoever. I mean, I remember what I ate for dinner in 1992 (it was chicken, by the way). They're basically still toddlers in my eyes. Even the late 80's is pushing it.

It's a two way street ya know. Having interesting and honest conversations are great, but some people may not be as comfortable about some topics as you are. So if you really want to have an interesting conversation, it is your job to find something they will talk about and eventually become more comfortable talking about whatever you want. Also, more context and tone would help to make sure you're approaching it the right way.

Sometimes yeah. Allthough I try and be more mellow about it. I have opinions but don't share them unless asked. And even then it depends... What I really hate is people who have OTHER peoples opinions. They're defending something their dad said or some such shit. Ofcourse we all do this up to a certain point. We listen to people and share ideas. Sometimes we inadvertantly copy someone else because we know little of the subject.

Difference is: If I don't know the subject I will listen to other people. Not go: no you are wrong because my DAD said so. Just makes me want to slap you. THINK FOR YOUR FUCKING SELF (yes, caps were needed).

I work dealing with the public among other roles and i actually enjoy that part of my job the most(Except for dealing with the customers that see me merely as a functionary). I do sales, but i never resort to high pressure tactics. I prefer to actually talk to my customers as people. It makes them more willing to come back and i often find myself advocating for them to my boss. But i enjoy it. I find that there are many people out in the world that are neat for different reasons and it surprises me how isolated many of them feel because they lack social confidence. Many of them will show up even when they don't plan on making a purchase just to chat for a bit.

They seem to think i'm interesting but in truth it's only because i'm willing to engage them in conversation that is clearly elective. I do not ambush them at the door. I usually wait till they find something that peaks their interest and i will make mention of something relating to what they are looking at. If they respond with any interest i talk with them informally. If they don't i let them be. But usually people respond well to that.

It seems that most people are honestly desperate to talk with someone but don't know how to have a conversation with strangers. Everyone has a shield up. Funny thing is outside of my job i've become the same way. I find it easy to talk to strangers when i'm at work, but outside of work i feel awkward even around acquaintances. I guess i'm just trying to explain why i find the comic with the stick figures in this thread to be amazingly true.

Chemical Alia:
Oh yeah, totally. I feel the same exact way, but only with people who were born in the 1990s. I just don't think we can relate on any level whatsoever. I mean, I remember what I ate for dinner in 1992 (it was chicken, by the way). They're basically still toddlers in my eyes. Even the late 80's is pushing it.

Really, on any level whatsoever? Considering people born in 1992 are now at least 20, you don't think there's any common ground you could find whatsoever?

DoctorObviously:
I am. More often than not people just frustrate me and get on my nerves. Lately I'm often losing sleep over it. I often feel like I'm the only person in the entire world who thinks longer than 5 seconds. Everything can be discussed with me, as it's a part of my personality. I like discussing things, without fighting over who is right, of course, but it seems impossible for me to find a good friend or a reasonable person willing to do that too. Why is honestly telling another person about how you feel about something so negatively viewed?

It seems that every subject I bring up to my elders comes with the general response of: "Again with the difficult questions?", "How should I know?", "I'm tired because I went to work.", "Thinking is HAAARD.". And with people of my age (18-24) I get the general response of: "... durr?". People on the internet? "I can typing! Oops, my brain fell out again!" or "Go to a psychiatrist to get your head straightened out.", which does not help. I don't need a psychiatrist because I feel perfectly fine with who I am.

Are there Escapists who also feel the way that I do?

Well, we'd probably get along as well as a house and fire does... I'm one of those horrible, evil, baby-eating monstrosities who fully embraces his laziness when it comes to thought processes. Well, expressed thought processes, anyway - internal thought is going to be pretty damn constant, but I'll verbally express those with as few words as possible.
And just to prove this, I present my post - IN DOT POINT FORM!MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-No, your not the only person in the world who thinks longer than 5 seconds.
-Great, everything can be discussed with you - but can everything be discussed with other people? I'm pretty talkative and enjoy a good long discussion about many things, but will totally shut down when it's about Poetry (I fucking, fucking, FUCKING hate poetry).
-Honesty is one of those tricky things that often falls under the rule of 'Is it appropriate?', 'Word it carefully' and 'Common Sense', i.e. if you honestly hate pie but the person you are talking to just said he fucking loves pie, would it cause conflict if you mentioned your opinion on pie - and if it would, is there a way to word your opinion to avoid conflict? (Basically, Honesty = lots of thinking besides 'I SHALL TELL THE TRUTH AT ALL TIMES')
-You ever 'burn out'? A possible problem here is you keep encountering people who have been thinking all day about a topic and don't want to think about it anymore, even if you want to discuss it.

Conclusion:
-Plan your honesty
-Your not the only one
-Different people have different interests, not always coinciding with yours
-people suffer mental burn-out on occasion
-Life isn't as complicated as it seems - whomever said 'the Unanalyzed life isn't a life at all' is a complete idiot. Viewing life simply isn't a negative or a thing to get pissed about, it's just a difference some people have; I enjoy discussions and arguments, but my view on 99% of things can be summed up with 'Eh', 'Nice' 'Shit' 'Meh' and 'FUCK.' (not mentioned in your post, from a discussion earlier this week that seemed relevant to topic though).

bobmus:

Chemical Alia:

Really, on any level whatsoever? Considering people born in 1992 are now at least 20, you don't think there's any common ground you could find whatsoever?

Absolutely not. 20 year olds are completely lacking in the ability to tell when I'm being not being serious on the internet, which renders all dialog with them impossible v:

Kind of. To put it simply, I'm not really a people person. Even some of my friends can be dicks at times. Like how I told my friend how whenever he calls me an idiot if I forget that I've already asked him a question or something that it hurts my self-esteem, he instead turned it into a joke to take the piss out of me.

Even I get frustrated with myself at multiple instances throughout the day. It's so much easier on the internet, when you can just find a group of like-minded people that you can converse with without having to be face-to-face and all the awkwardness of not being 100% able to get your point across because you have a tendency to stutter and whatnot.

Chemical Alia:

bobmus:

Chemical Alia:

Absolutely not. 20 year olds are completely lacking in the ability to tell when I'm being not being serious on the internet, which renders all dialog with them impossible v:

Hahaha, I got a good actual laugh out of this exchange, thanks Alia.

OT: I spent my teenage years thinking the way OP describes, then one day I realized that there's people at NASA, molecular physicists, and all manner of incredibly intelligent people who could fairly assume that I'm very dumb. This stuff is relative. If it may help, not every intellectual exchange needs to be a debate. Yesterday, actually, I was talking to a 30 year old person who had no idea that altitude affected the baking in your oven. I could tell we weren't going to have much of an exchange about things (not just be that statement alone), but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. She was happy to have learned something new and started mining my mind with questions she wasn't sure about. Sometimes it's okay to have all manner of exchanges outside of a philosophical or intellectual debate.

While I agree with the 'everyone thinks everyone is a stupid automaton' commentary, I do nonetheless find myself with some of the frustration the original poster brought. I don't think everyone is stupid, or even that they're lazier, but it does get discouraging when you feel like your the only person who wants to talk about and figure out why people disagree with me, and why they espouse opinions that I find to be offensive at times; either what I've failed to consider, or even better if I still conclude their opinion uninformed, how they reached that conclusion.

As i said above though, I don't think it's due to laziness, I think there's people who do simply find that kind of activity exhaustive and painful, and that's a hard thing to make them commit to spending their time on when they've already blown their last fuse just trying to get through a workday/week/month etc.
Regardless of that reasoning behind it, I do still find the implications both depressing and terrifying though. It seems like the number of lunatic actions permitted by apathy is growing in frequency and severity, because even when there's a general consensus something is wrong most people feel they're too exhausted to care, much less fix the problem. But even worse is how it seems as if there's this slow but noticeable decline in willing to exchange opinions at all; "it'll stress me to do it, you'll never convince me, I'll convince you, so its a waste of time"

Given the research into how internet communities have a tendency to become echo-chambers, rattling around only compliant opinions and ostracizing real debate through either moderation or harrasment, with everyone grouping up into only the communities which feed their confirmation-bias, I fear my concerns may be far more than anecdotal or false patterns.

Honestly, yes.

But I tend not to get obsessed by that anymore. It just solves nothing.

And besides, everyone's stupid with something. For example, I simply cannot computer. It's just a shame that most people's stupidity seems to be of the kind that annoys people around them.

5-0:

It's only pointless if the people taking part in it do so without point. What may seem pointless to you as an observer may have real value to those people, even that value is just entertainment. Superficiality is entirely subjective, to the point where it really doesn't actually exist at all.

As someone who focuses exclusively on his own flaws to the point of self-hatred, I don't have time to care about other people being idiots. I just feel like I don't have any right to judge others for their problems when I am so far from perfect. I try to improve my self and my meager self-image before all else and it has made me a likable person with a self-deprecating sense of humor.

Yes. I exist in a continual state of frustration and annoyance with everyone around me. Especially at work, where I am a kitchenhand (currently at a nursing home). Nobody who works with me understands anything I say. I once pointed out to someone how the cabinet door was broken, and for the next 4 fucking weeks different people at different times asked me how I broke it. No. It was broken since before I started working there, I'm just pointing it out so it can be fixed. And I said that to all the people, and still they don't get it through their heads that I didn't break it, I noticed the way it was broken.

Secondly, other staff in other shifts are always making requests to my boss that I do some trivial thing differently or extra. "Put the broom in between the fridges instead of near the bin", "put the cup and saucer at the front of the tray instead of at the back", "put the spare trays further up the shelves so I don't have to bend over the next morning", and I got so fucking sick of it that when my boss asked me on Wednesday to move the soup so I didn't spill it as I put it into the bowl, I explained to him (not that it makes and difference, he doesn't know what I say either): "It spills when I'm stirring, not when I'm dishing it out, and that's because the person who makes the soup makes it so full that you can't even move a spoon in it without it spilling", so he said maybe I (I who comes in 15 minutes early and leaves 15 minutes late) could lay aluminium foil around the pot before I stirred it. For once I flatly refused, and said that until other staff start putting the lids on things properly (like the puree which I have burned myself with due to the lid not being on properly), sweeping the floor after the morning shift like they're supposed to so I don't have to deal with whole teabags and bits of potato that have been left on the ground, putting baking paper in the meal tubs so it doesn't take me 10 minutes to clean the fuckers, not spilling oats all over the pantry floor like they consistently do, taking sugar saches out from between meal trays where they put them because they can't be bothered going to the bin, stirring the soup once in a while before I get there so it isn't already burning from the base when I arrive, I will not be doing anything else differently for them.

Thirdly, it's almost a game for them to talk to me. I am an antisocial misfit, I know that, but the forced jollity of everything they say annoys the fuck out of me. Someone will come into the kitchen and say "Hello [my name]!" and I'll say "hello" back. Then they'll ask about Uni, am I back from holidays, how am I, all this mundane crap I can't be bothered to talk about, and besides, I have a job to do and I do it solidly from the time I arrive to the time I leave. One of these days I'm just going to go "I don't want to talk to you, I don't care about your life, and trust me, you don't care about mine".

Fourthly, my coworkers (the ones who actually do the other half of my job) don't understand that I have to work as fast as I do and still leave late and that is a problem for me. Mainly the weekday one, who is slow as hell and takes a break from 5 to 5:30, and every so often she'll just go "Oh look at the time, it goes so fast" and at the end of the shift "I gonna run away." in this quaint, unassuming way that infuriates me because I work hard to leave late. The weekend one is at least faster and sometimes I even get out at 6, but once she said "Why you always so hurry all the time" to which I replied "I have to hurry because I need to go somewhere at 6 and I can't be late." and she goes "Well I would leave before 6 if I could, but I have to stay until 6 because that's my shift. You can't leave before 6". And I cannot tell you how angry that made me. That she would mistake my needing to leave at 6 despite being normally 15 minutes late with an ABUNDANCE of time, and also that she could leave earlier than 6 if she wanted and yet I still help her with some things that I don't have to.

But that's not exactly what the thread is about, although I hope it was at least amusing.

I also get frustrated with people whose opinions aren't substantiated, but who will stick to them anyway and use the defence that all opinions are equally valid. These tend to be religious people in my experience, who for some reason think they are beyond scrutiny because of just how principled they are. "I don't like gays because they are a perversion of the natural order and weren't meant to be created and run counter to the goals of the human race - and I stand by my beliefs". Look at what a rock solid moral pillar I am. My biggotry is unassailable. And when you have a discussion with these people it ends with "Well, you have your opinions and I have mine, why don't we just live in harmony". I also get frustrated with people who sort of have an opinion on something but don't care enough to actively express it despite what the effects of not doing so are.

Anyway, enough from me. tl;dr: I am constantly frustrated with the banality of everyday life and the unwillingness of most people to be an opinionated prick like myself. Captcha: Can I love?

I work in financial service. I've come to hate 95% of all the clients. I realize that I shouldn't be working in financial service, but it's a means to an end - ie: a JOB. So, I suck it up 95% of the time... there's about 5% of the time where I do slip and say things I shouldn't. Add in multiple languages and working in an new-immigrant district and you have a recipe for wanting to stab everything that moves.

Also see: the Retail Robin meme.

Re-reading this, I'm frustrated with customers more than people... regular people don't seem to irritate me as much.

I don't feel that other people don't think. I feel that a lot of people lack a shocking amount of empathy.

As someone who spends far too much time on the internet, I am constantly seeing the sadistic underbelly of human beings.

Which leads, when I go out into the world, to be far more questioning of the motives of other people. Used to be, I tended to assume that most human beings were basically good. Then, I spent more time on the internet then I ought. And every person out there is suspicious to me.

I keep wanting to assume that person that is serving me at a restaurant, is not that one person on the internet who talked in great deal about how they would like to slaughter all black people. I keep wanting to hope that my boss isn't the person who, when given the anonymity of the internet, wasn't the person who threatened to rape an innocent woman.

But I can't. And that horrifies me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked