Three books to base a society on.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So, let's say you find a new world, or you build an underwater or flying city...it needs a society, and it's up to you to give it what. Now most of our information comes from books, or things that were inspired by books, so using a few books to create this new society seems like a bright idea.

So what three books would you use to create this society? Preferably dealing with things like politics, religion, and art. But it's all up to you, of course.

My picks:

1. The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey.
2. Street Art From Around The World by Garry Hunter.
3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

And there you go. Have fun, children!

1. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
2. Altas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Now that would be an interesting society to live in!

1. Everybody Poops
2. Earth: the Book
3. The Novelization of Jurassic Park.

It would be the same as now, but with more self-referencing humor, less shame about bodily functions, and DINOSAURS!!!

All are welcome! Kickstarter campaign will be up soon!

I) 1984 by George Orwell
II) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
III) Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Basically, everyone is watched and any who dissents from the will of the Overseer fight to the death for the amusement of the public

In the interest of perpetuating my desired future area of expertise (forensics) and facilitating my status as a crime-solving individual, I would choose:

1) Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie.
2) The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
3) And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie.

Please note that two of these books involve crimes that would remain unsolved were it not for the confession of the criminals themselves. The difficulty setting of this world would be Hardcore Hell Nightmare.

1. The Bible
2. The Koran
3. The Torah

Ri-i-ight, maybe I'd better change those before a flame war erupts

1. D&D: Player's Handbook
2. D&D: Dungeon Master's Guide
3. D&D: Monster Manual

Ummm...wait, no - that's just stupid

1. World of Darkness: Immortals
2. World of Darkness: Gypsies
3. D&D: Book of Erotic Fantasy

OK, I suck at this. It seems my society would just die in flames, I suppose.

It was difficult thinking of three books for this. Everything else I read is too damn depressing.

1)Schismatrix
2)Neuromancer
3)King City (Do Graphic novels count?)

So some Light-hearted Cyberpunk with a lot of humour. Also weaponized cats.

1. Atlas Shrugged
2. The Communist Manifesto
3. Mein Kempf

I want to see how that world would turn out.

1) Akira.
2) Brave New World.
3) Finnegan's Wake.

Just for all the lulz. Yes, I'm the villain who likes doing shit just for the heck of it. IRON FISTING FOR THE WIN!

Don't take it literally... Please?

1. Playboy #283
2. Hustler #65
3. Penthouse #96

klaynexas3:
1. Atlas Shrugged
3. Mein Kempf

Boring, if the contents of Mein Kampf are to be a guide. It's more an autobiography than political theory, so I would have put Mussolini's Doctrine of Fascism instead.

But yeah, would be interesting. Probably end up looking like Blade Runner or something.

klaynexas3:
1. Atlas Shrugged
3. Mein Kempf

What. WHAT. That was the exact list I was going to post! Still, I'd like to see what happened. Either chaos, or perhaps some sort of weird hybrid ideology that takes the parts of each book that doesn't contradict the others. Let's build a secret underwater city and find out!

As for my back-up list:

1. To Kill A Mockingbird
2. Nineteen Eighty-Four
3. Catch-22

Less political ideology, more cautionary tales. Not so much a manual, as a set of warnings.

1. The Handmaid's Tale
2. Lord of the Flies
3. The Anarchist's Cookbook

This should be interesting.

1. A Scanner Darkly
2. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
3. Maybe the first Dirk Gently book

I don't read as much as I like so that's the best I can come up with, I suck at this. I prefer short stories but I don't read many of those either. Note to self: Read more, buy milk.

Moby Dick
The Waterbabies
UK habitats of the Canadian Goose

Yeah, bit obscure, but still.

Oh...or "The Wizard of Oz".

House Of Leaves
Go The Fuck To Sleep
Shadow Run Players Handbook

I would do this just to see how the fuck it would turn out.

Let's see... Some are more than one book, so I'm going with series!

Republic Commando
The Silmarillion
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Now it'd be an interesting society... Wandering mercenaries who get into deep shit with the gods and can enslave demons.

klaynexas3:
1. Atlas Shrugged
3. Mein Kampf

Sounds good to me. "Mein Kampf" is painfull to read though. Apart from beeing a genocidal maniac Hitler just wasn't a good writer.

1. De Bello Gallico - Gaius Iulius Caesar
2. The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook (Which is the Imperial Monitorum Manual by Graham McNeill and tha Imperial
Infantryman's Uplifting Primer by Matt Ralphs)
3. The Physicists (Die Physiker) - Friedrich Dürrenmatt.

I don't know how that would turn out, but I'm intrigued to see it.

DoPo:
1. The Bible
2. The Koran
3. The Torah

Thats what i wanted to put :(

The Prince Machiavelli
On Liberty JS Mill
The Communist Manifesto Marx

Work that one out future people.

1.Codex: Chaos Daemons
2.Codex: Chaos Space Marines
3.Codex: Dark Eldar

It would be such a perfect society.

Tao Te Ching
The Art of War
A book detailing the scientific method

DoPo:

1. D&D: Player's Handbook
2. D&D: Dungeon Master's Guide
3. D&D: Monster Manual

Ummm...wait, no - that's just stupid

1. World of Darkness: Immortals
2. World of Darkness: Gypsies
3. D&D: Book of Erotic Fantasy

What, no F.A.T.A.L rulebook?

Jean-Paul Sartre's "Existentialism Is A Humanism"
John Maynard Keynes' "The General Theory"
Cloud Atlast by David Mitchell

Scarecrow:
Snip

This thread reminds me of The Time Machine.

So, I will go with these...

{1} Catch-22

{2} The Futurological Congress

{3} Fahrenheit 451

...and then follow up with the explanation that this is how exactly NOT to run society.

Hmm you know I'm gonna stray from the norm and use manga-their books in comic form :D
1:Evangelion
2:Battle royal
3:Naruto
Now you might be thinking about what a #%#$& horrible society that would make but you're just looking at the outer layer seeing the events and the world when really it the themes and messages you should look at which are actually much more positive than you might think.

1. Journey to the West / Wu Cheng'en
2. The Giving Tree / Shel Silverstein
3. Oh, the Places You'll Go! / Dr. Seuss

Pretty sure my society wins.

Duncan Belfast:
What, no F.A.T.A.L rulebook?

That's not a joking matter dude. Besides, it's not like I can combine it with anything else - there is nothing comparable to put in the other two places.

1. The Fellowship of The Ring
2. The Two Towers
3. The Return of The King

Live in Middle-Earth.

I'd just say Plato's "Republic."

Then we wouldn't need 2 other books. Whoever the current "philosopher king" is could just pick whichever 2 books he wants to make sure everyone else reads. A couple of non-political, entertaining, feelgoods would work out just fine. Just make sure they weren't very educational (don't want too many people in the elite class) and stay away from stories like "Harrison Bergeron."

knight steel:
Hmm you know I'm gonna stray from the norm and use manga-their books in comic form :D
Now you might be thinking about what a #%#$& horrible society that would make but you're just looking at the outer layer seeing the events and the world when really it the themes and messages you should look at which are actually much more positive than you might think.

What on earth are you talking about?

1. American Psycho
2. The Wasp Factory
3. Lolita

Why? Because then everybody will believe that the world is full of peados, murderers and rapists and they'll live in total fear and... oh wait, no, that's what happens to Daily Mail readers. So basically I'd create a society of more literate Daily Mail readers. I'm so sorry everybody.

Seriously, the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, though that was written for people with really big hands.

Baneat:

knight steel:

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm saying I choose those works not for their bleak setting and disturbing event's but for their uplifting messages and hidden beauty.

I swear if anyone says any of those damn 'gor' books...

anyways.

The Jade Palace
Ranma 1/2
Nausiica of the Valey of the Wind

1. The art of War
2. The Road
3. MacBeth
oh wait, that's a play. Uhm..

3. 1984

Combine ancient Chinese wisdom with post-apocalyptic madness and add some severe indoctrination with vaporization. Wait, what?

1. Lord of the Flies
2. Confederacy of Dunces
3. The Lorax

Not really a world I'd want to live in myself, but might be entertaining to watch play out.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked