So Youtube has been getting bizarrely slower and slower.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Apparently I'm not the only one getting this. I don't know what it causing it but I have decent internet speeds.

Used to be I could watch 1080p videos on youtube with no problem. It would load the whole video even if the video was 30 minutes long in a matter of seconds.

Now, it has been going off and on. Some days I can watch a 1080p video quickly again. Other days, I'm lucky to get a 240p video to load. Like youtube right now is working for me. I keep trying, but even 240p youtube videos are struggling to load. Since I'm here, at the Escapist, I tried viewing Jim Sterling's video "The Creepy Cull of Female Protagonists" again. Clicked "view high quality" and no loading problems. Very fast. Loaded the entire video in less than 10 seconds easily.

So it isn't my ISP going through some kind of slow time. My internet is perfectly fast right now.

Youtube, right now, is utterly failing. It's been doing this for a few months now. But tonight it is horrible. And again I've searched Google about the subject and it seems like I'm not the only one.

Anyone else having problems with youtube lately? And what in the heck could be the problem? Youtube is one of the biggest sites on the internet. Has almost never had any kinds of server problems. And must have some of the beefiest most reliable servers the world has ever seen.

Seeing their streaming service start to lag out seems.... uncanny. This isn't some small forum with low funding. This is Google's Youtube.

Huh...I thought my internet was being wonky but maybe it's not just me.

My YouTube's has also been quite slow as of late. Personally, I blame Gremlins.

Yeah, it's been slowing down for me too, but I've noticed a slight pattern with how videos load. When it's daytime where I live, any video will load just fine, only with the occasional slowdown. At night, starting around 6 PM, every video I try to watch, regardless of length, will lower itself to 240p and still take up to six minutes to buffer. Sometimes, the video will just skip straight to the end or restart itself. I honestly have no idea what's going on, but it's good to know I'm not the only one having problems with Youtube.

Same, I don't even bother with 1080 anymore.
720 is almost the same with no stuttering/stop & go'ing.

My favorite is having a fully loaded video, if I skip around on the playback, it suddenly has to load all over again.

I distinctly remember that not always being the case.

I also jump on this boat.

Some days, 720p will load extremely quick, other days it'll take 10x the length of the video to load.

Ditto. I thought Comcast was throttling my speeds, but noticed that Escapist loads fine. What's up Youtube?

Same here as well, I have come to to no longer rely on youtube until the matter is settled. Odd though

50 mb dl and cant even watch 240p in a single go at times. It has been acting odd lately.

Just go for 480 or 720. Really saves you a lot of time. Yeah sure you have a nice 1080 monitor but that really means jack all if you are waiting longer than the actual video takes. Hell I'll watch a video in 360 if I just need to listen to the audio.

Not to mention aside from ensuring that the picture is sharp enough that there is still a cap in quality due to the frame rate which is still capped at 30fps.

They're probably futsing with the code and broke somethin somewhere.

Though I like to blame the government watchin for terrorists that watch stupid videos on youtube.

Once I get out of the military I'm planning to move to a city with Google Fiber to avoid hassles like this. Preferably Austin, as I am a native Texan, though I've heard Austin is not much like the rest of Texas. Eh.

You're just noticing this now? I've been noticing this for the past year. Pay no nevermind...a few simple steps and you can avoid these issues...pm me if you haven't figured out how yet.

Youtube buffering is crap, Youtube sound doesn't always work, and now it's slower? Who's up for some torches and pitchforks?

Seems to be doing that for me.

And I ALSO have crappy internet at certain hours of the day, so you can imagine how incredibly slow it is sometimes.

But even when everything else is working fine, youtube can just decide to be the slowest piece of shit ever.

Yeah you can add me to the list of people who has Youtube load a 720p video in 10 seconds one video and take a minute to load a 240p the next (and that's when Adobe Flash isn't crashing)

I guess the Youtube staff are all too busy creating new layouts nobody likes to bother fixing any of this stuff.

YouTube is a broken mess, there is no other way to aptly put it.

The site has been going downhill for years and there is no way in hell it's going to improve anytime soon...or at all for that matter.

youtube may just be too big for its own good. it's a forever expanding world it eventually will be too much for whoever maintains the place to keep hiring people and buying new servers for all the tube stuff. To be honest its a suprise that everyone has been able to take advantage of it so far with such ease. It supposedly has already had 1000 years of video footage uploaded sometime ago.

I'm not having this problem, actually. It loads instantly for me.

It's as fast as ever for me. Everything is practically instantaneous.
Probably a regional server cluster that's not getting fed enough jiggawatts.

I can download a game at 4mb/s, talk to someone on Skype (admittedly with worse quality than usual) and watch a 1080p livestream smoothly at the same time.

I cannot, however, watch a 360p Youtube video smoothly with nothing except my browser running.

The new "Youtube changes the quality of the video for you" is even more frustrating. On the off chance that Youtube should let me watch a video smoothly for once, it will randomly change the quality for no apparent reason half way through even though the entire video had already been buffered in another quality and start lagging all over again.

Google, in their endless wisdom, gave you the choice between this "feature" and not being able to watch HQ videos at all. *Slow clap*

In germany, some ISPs (T-Mobile, for example) are known to shape traffic, making the bandwidth-intensive things like youtube slower. Maybe that's what's happening on your end, too. And that's why Net Neutrality is important.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I can download a game at 4mb/s, talk to someone on Skype (admittedly with worse quality than usual) and watch a 1080p livestream smoothly at the same time.

I cannot, however, watch a 360p Youtube video smoothly with nothing except my browser running.

The new "Youtube changes the quality of the video for you" is even more frustrating. On the off chance that Youtube should let me watch a video smoothly for once, it will randomly change the quality for no apparent reason half way through even though the entire video had already been buffered in another quality and start lagging all over again.

Google, in their endless wisdom, gave you the choice between this "feature" and not being able to watch HQ videos at all. *Slow clap*

It'd be neat if there was an option to automatically watch videos in their highest quality...as opposed to the option to automatically watch videos in their lowest quality.

I've not had problems, personally...but that's not saying much.

Yea I had issues with youtube too, sometimes it great and sometimes its totally broken. Been doing it for well over a year now. Not sure whats going on nor do I care enough to look up fixes.

I agree, with the difference being my internet used to hardly be able to keep loaded progress just ahead of where I was up to, and now it can't even do that.

At 360p.

mokes310:
You're just noticing this now? I've been noticing this for the past year. Pay no nevermind...a few simple steps and you can avoid these issues...pm me if you haven't figured out how yet.

The past year? Since when has Youtube /ever/ been consistently fast? The problem here is it's the biggest video portal in the world[1], and there are limits to how many simultaneous connections it can handle without slowing down. Apparently peak hours start around 6 PM OP's time.

[1] well, maybe there's one in China that's bigger, but that's just because there's so many people in China. The rest of the world certainly doesn't use it.

I thought it was just my internet being dodgy these past few months, so it's happening to everyone else too? It's getting quite frustrating now, a lot of the time it just won't load videos.

I thought it was just my internet it's good to know others are having this porblem.

Personally i've been noticing a recent trend of youtube videos always loading to exactly half way, and then refusing to go any further until you let it sit there for ages (where upon it finally decided after a good break to start up again, and loads like straight away)

I've been noticing this as well and it can be rather annoying. If anyone knows a fix can they post it here for everyone?

I thought I was the only one. Same here. It's slow for me. Ridiculously slow.

BartyMae:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

It'd be neat if there was an option to automatically watch videos in their highest quality...as opposed to the option to automatically watch videos in their lowest quality.

I've not had problems, personally...but that's not saying much.

Same reason I stopped watching the Daily Show on the official website, the live action videos in MYST ran at higher quality with only half the red pages. And according to Speedtest.net my connection is STILL faster than 92% of America ~_~

Ok I'm glad to see that this isn't an issue with my internet and that others have had this problem recently to I was starting to get worried when yesterday it took almost 30 minutes to load a five minute video on 240p.

I haven't noticed it getting slower, but I have noticed it crash on me more frequently.

There's something up.

I had this problem a few weeks ago, where it was hard to just load a 240 video, it wasn't on my end, I've got high speed internet and nothing was using it. The really weird part is that it only loaded slowly in chrome, in firefox everything loaded fine. I don't have the loading problem anymore and I still have no idea what caused it.

Mikeyfell:
I haven't noticed it getting slower, but I have noticed it crash on me more frequently.

There's something up.

The crashing might be multiple flash plugins conflicting. I had that problem with youtube crashing flash allot awhile ago, turns out its got a built in flash plugin so if you install flash then it ends up trying to load flash twice or something and that causes it to crash, if you go into the plugins and disable the built in flash player then that should fix the crashing. Assuming your using chrome.

To get to the plugins in chrome type chrome:plugins in the address bar, you should see two entries for flash, disable the one in the chrome folder.
Its location should look like C:\Users\computername\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\26.0.1410.64\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked