Two explosions reported at the Boston Marathon (Updated: 6:50PM EST April 16 2013)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/Explosions-reported-near-Boston-Marathon-finish-line/-/11971628/19757044/-/ktnc1wz/-/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

-------------------------------------------------
Two explosions have been reported near the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street as thousands of people gathered for the race, and there are reports of injuries.

At least two explosions were reported at the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday.

The blasts happened at about 2:50 p.m. near the intersection of Boylston and Exeter streets. Store fronts have been blown out, and there have been reports of dozens of injuries.

Witnesses said several victims lost limbs, the race was stopped and the area is being evacuated.

The first explosion happened across from the Lenox Hotel and the second blast was about 15 seconds later, witnesses said.

Many of the injured appeared to be spectators who gathered for the 117th running of the race.

Some of the injured were brought to a medical tent that was set up for the runners of the historic race.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

-------------------------------------------------

It seems they were near the finish line. There are a lot of images at the moment that depict the bloodied sidewalks. The story is still being updated as it happens; The current source of the explosions is unknown It seems they are confirmed to be bombs, as they have found similar devices nearby.

EDIT: Some footage of the explosion itself: https://vine.co/v/bFdt5uwg6JZ
Second Edit: The attacks have been confirmed as bombing, though whether it was an attack or a domestic terrorist act are still unknown as of now.
Third Edit: Better quality video of the explosion from a closer perspective, courtesy of capper42: http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square/72926110
Also, Boston hotlines:
*Phone numbers for families/victims, or trying to find people: 617 635 4500
*Phone numbers for anybody who saw anything at the incident, or saw any suspicious activity: 1-800-494-TIPS (8477)
Fourth Edit: Adding some updates as of today; Thank you to Mitchell271 for the news tip

Updates:

The bombs used are confirmed to be Shrapnel Bombs
Third confirmed death, an eight-year-old boy.
145 suspected to be injured, of which seventeen are in critical condition
There is still no suspect/person of interest
According to Massachusetts' Governor Deval Patrick, no unexploded bombs were found yesterday, contrary to other reports.

My thoughts are with everyone caught up in this.
Really nothing else to say at this time.
Still shocked.

Heard about this on the radio, pretty shocking. Me and a few buddies were thinking about going up there to watch it but we stayed out late yesterday.

Anyone who's squeamish, do not look at the pictures.

There are a few things that make me think this will come out as a domestic attack from a homegrown militant patriot group. Today is the deadline to file your taxes. We are also hearing that there was some observance of events in Newtown at the start of today's event. Most reporting states at least 3 dead with dozens injured.

http://deadspin.com/explosions-reported-at-the-boston-marathon-473008941
just stumbled across it there by accident.. looks pretty bad (also warning some pretty graphic pics in there)
but yea... best wishes to all involved

will be watching this play out tonight i guess , my sympathy to all who lost someone there...

I did not expect to here this news today, but I guess that's the point. All my sympathies to the dead, the injured, their families and anyone there. I've heard some reports that there are more bombs, but I hope they're just trolling/lying.

Jesus Christ my mom has friends in Boston watching the marathon, why the fuck would anyone do this?

My sympathies to anyone involved,

Fuck me this is awful. MOVIE BOB ARE YOU OK?

pointless vandalism:

From his twitter: Thanks for the concern, folks, but FYI I am nowhere near the marathon right now.

Source: https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/323877281040850944

pointless vandalism:

He's been tweeting that he's fine.

This is awful. I don't really know what to say other than I feel for all affected by this.

I have friends and some relatives in Boston. I hope they're all OK. Physically I mean. No way they're getting out of this one without some emotional scars.

It was probably a work of domestic terrorists. The bombs were too ineffective to be anything other than homemade. I hope they catch the bastards soon and execute them in public.

farscythe:
[edit] also my local news is saying its looking like it was a terrorist attack (course im in holland so no telling how accurate that is)but apparently the gas mains are fine....

The BBC have been carefully avoiding any mentions of bombs or terrorism, only relaying some unconfirmed reports of "devices".

It's better not to speculate on possible causes at ths point.

pointless vandalism:

Bob was on Twitter earlier, he wasn't in the area.

We should concentrate on those affected by the explosions at this time, at least 2 dead, and 23 hurt(some seriously), but I'm sure both of those numbers will go up later, sadly.

Not much else to say besides my sympathies go to anyone affected by the explosions.

Hopefully the casualty count is as low as possible.

Also here's a link to a video of the explosion for those such as myself who can't view it on fine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160826

Obviously disturbing images.

Sympathies to all. Made me sick to my stomach to watch on the news so I shut it off and came on here. If they catch the people responsible I hope they don't even show their faces on TV. MAYBE their names, but nothing more. They don't need television and news outlets turning them into "Antiheroes" or some messed up shit. Just doesn't seem to end.

Heard about this on the radio. If this is a terrorist attack, I'm just worried that it's not even over yet. Hopefully those two explosions were the end of it.

My heart goes out to all those affected by the blasts. Damn...

Andy Shandy:
Not much else to say besides my sympathies go to anyone affected by the explosions.

Also here's a link to a video of the explosion for those such as myself who can't view it on fine.

I think the casualty count so far is 3 dead, 22 injured. Still terrible though.

Alfador_VII:

farscythe:
[edit] blablabla speculation fixed till further notice

It's better not to speculate on possible causes at ths point.

pointless vandalism:

Bob was on Twitter earlier, he wasn't in the area.

We should concentrate on those affected by the explosions at this time, at least 2 dead, and 23 hurt(some seriously), but I'm sure both of those numbers will go up later, sadly.

sorry for the lack of snip i havent figured out how to with a track pad yet.
also my news isnt the bbc in holland its the nos who have said exactly what i wrote..but i agree with you on the better not to speculate point and that all our thoughts should be with those affected right now rather than the hows and whys.

will try and fix my edit

That's fucking horrible. I hope they catch the bastards who did this.

ToastiestZombie:

Andy Shandy:

I think the casualty count so far is 3 dead, 22 injured. Still terrible though.

Yeah, definitely =/

Also hearing rumours on Twitter of another explosion in the JFK Library although I have also seen others saying that's just a mechanical fire, completely unrelated. Here's hoping for the latter.

Sectan:
If they catch the people responsible I hope they don't even show their faces on TV. MAYBE their names, but nothing more. They don't need television and news outlets turning them into "Antiheroes" or some messed up shit. Just doesn't seem to end.

ESPECIALLY if they did it over political issues. I know that we shouldnt be speculating, but today is Tax Day, and before the race started they said it was going to be run in honor of the Newtown shooting, with family of those killed in the VIP seats. This CANT be a coincidence.

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square/72926110

Better quality video for those who want to see it.

capper42:

Do you mind if I put that in the first post?

DJ_DEnM:

capper42:

Do you mind if I put that in the first post?

No, not at all, go ahead.

Tragic. I hope they find the one(s) responsible for this and bring them to justice. And how I wish the media wouldn't even say their names or their faces because that would just be giving them what they want.

Seems random, excessive and entirely unnecessary to target runners and spectators of a relatively minor event unless the motivations were simply to cause wanton violence and fear. Really wondering here what the real reasons are on this, and who did it for that matter. Was obviously a terrorist action considering that un-detonated explosive(?) devices were found and subsequently dismantled after the explosions at other locations, but I can't help but feel that more is on the way.

All in all, this was sudden and I'm still perplexed.
Goes without saying that it's a horrible thing that has happened, beyond horrible if you're actually connected to the event. Hope those affected get well in time, to the best of their ability. Going to keep an eye on the news.

It looks like the police found other undetonated devices nearby. I'm going to retain a healthy dose of skepticism, but it looks like everything is pointing to it indeed being a bomb attack.

Berithil:
It looks like the police found other undetonated devices nearby. I'm going to retain a healthy dose of skepticism, but it looks like everything is pointing to it indeed being a bomb attack.

I'd be insanely surprised by this point if it wasn't.

I feel dumb hat I just heard about this now considering I live there.

Either way this disturbs me.

I don't know what to say. This is horrible. I hope there aren't more hidden devices.

Cell phones access shut down across Boston to prevent "remotely detonated devices going off" apparently.

ResonanceSD:
Cell phones access shut down across Boston to prevent "remotely detonated devices going off" apparently.

Yeah, that's covered in the updates Spoiler tab.

DJ_DEnM:

ResonanceSD:

Yeah, that's covered in the updates Spoiler tab.

Why would you spoiler the updates? Who does that help?

Greyhamster:
I don't know what to say. This is horrible. I hope there aren't more hidden devices.

I think the cops found a third one.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked