Two explosions reported at the Boston Marathon (Updated: 6:50PM EST April 16 2013)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

NightmareExpress:
Seems random, excessive and entirely unnecessary to target runners and spectators of a relatively minor event unless the motivations were simply to cause wanton violence and fear. Really wondering here what the real reasons are on this, and who did it for that matter. Was obviously a terrorist action considering that un-detonated explosive(?) devices were found and subsequently dismantled after the explosions at other locations, but I can't help but feel that more is on the way.

All in all, this was sudden and I'm still perplexed.
Goes without saying that it's a horrible thing that has happened, beyond horrible if you're actually connected to the event. Hope those affected get well in time, to the best of their ability. Going to keep an eye on the news.

Same. Tearing two people to shreds and injuring some twenty more in a marathon doesn't quite feel terrorist-like to me. Unless the Boston Marathon was perceived by someone as some kind of symbol, of course. This is just a random joe's opinion, of course, but I'm inching towards domestic terrorism too. It's some crackpot for sure.

Truly horrendous stuff. I hope those responsible eat a few consecutive life sentences in the face.

Well shit my heart goes out to those effected by today's events. Hopefully events such as this don't become more common at large international events such as this.

xDarc:
There are a few things that make me think this will come out as a domestic attack from a homegrown militant patriot group. Today is the deadline to file your taxes. We are also hearing that there was some observance of events in Newtown at the start of today's event. Most reporting states at least 3 dead with dozens injured.

Then why target the Boston Marathon? Why not an IRS, or other, government building? Why not a crowded subway station in D.C.? To pick a marathon in Boston seems an odd choice of targets for terrorists and activists both.

Adam Jensen:
I have friends and some relatives in Boston. I hope they're all OK. Physically I mean. No way they're getting out of this one without some emotional scars.

It was probably a work of domestic terrorists. The bombs were too ineffective to be anything other than homemade. I hope they catch the bastards soon and execute them in public.

Homemade bombs can be quite effective. I mean, IEDs can take out armored vehicles. A truck bomb on a military base killed over 240 marines in Lebanon 1983. One "ineffective" homemade bomb did all that.

BOOM headshot65:

Sectan:
If they catch the people responsible I hope they don't even show their faces on TV. MAYBE their names, but nothing more. They don't need television and news outlets turning them into "Antiheroes" or some messed up shit. Just doesn't seem to end.

ESPECIALLY if they did it over political issues. I know that we shouldnt be speculating, but today is Tax Day, and before the race started they said it was going to be run in honor of the Newtown shooting, with family of those killed in the VIP seats. This CANT be a coincidence.

Why not? Stranger things have happened. And Like I said, it's an odd target for a political bombing.

NightmareExpress:
Seems random, excessive and entirely unnecessary to target runners and spectators of a relatively minor event unless the motivations were simply to cause wanton violence and fear. Really wondering here what the real reasons are on this, and who did it for that matter. Was obviously a terrorist action considering that un-detonated explosive(?) devices were found and subsequently dismantled after the explosions at other locations, but I can't help but feel that more is on the way.

Goes without saying that it's a horrible thing that has happened, beyond horrible if you're actually connected to the event. Hope those affected get well in time, to the best of their ability. Going to keep an eye on the news.

Even if that was their goal a run is still an odd target. Remember all the bombings in late 2001/2002, almost all of them targeted transit. Big crowds and confined spaces mean large casualties, and it scares people more than targeting an event. If you target an event, it's isolated from the people. If you target their morning commute, they'll spend the next few months or years wondering if today will be another random bombing on their subway, or at their favorite restaurant, ect. Even if they were trying to hit the crowds from the event, they could have targeted transit in the hours leading up to the event, they get all the crowds and the benefit of hitting transit.

all in all, I think it's too early to speculate on the cause/perpetrators, especially with the strange target choice.

BOOM headshot65:

Sectan:
If they catch the people responsible I hope they don't even show their faces on TV. MAYBE their names, but nothing more. They don't need television and news outlets turning them into "Antiheroes" or some messed up shit. Just doesn't seem to end.

ESPECIALLY if they did it over political issues. I know that we shouldnt be speculating, but today is Tax Day, and before the race started they said it was going to be run in honor of the Newtown shooting, with family of those killed in the VIP seats. This CANT be a coincidence.

four days from now is also the 20 year anniversary of Waco, and the 18 year anniversary of Oklahoma city. could just be coincidence though.
Edited year counts, feel dumb right now seeing as I was in oklahoma city 18 years ago

xDarc:

mattttherman3:
The conspiracy theorists come out of the woodwork.

While I agree you should be posting conspiracy theories in response to someone's question about why this might happen; what do you think is going to happen if the guy who did this turns out to be connected to right wing patriot groups? The government does not let a crisis go to waste, they're only going to use that outcome as a reason to further their restriction of our rights.

So why the disgust with conspiracy theories? Just when their gun control movement begins to stall, terrorist attack on Tax Day, Patriot's Day in Boston, home of the Tea Party. The significance of the date/location/target is usually not coincidental, that's why media is speculating about right wing extremists already.

On the flip side of that, if it wasn't domestic, who's to say we'll get the actual story if it doesn't fit the proper narrative, like with Benghazi. It's getting more and more difficult to figure out where to even get information any longer. I live in Texas, and the only national/world news I pay any attention to any longer are BBC, Sky, and occasionally Reuters.

spartan231490:
Even if that was their goal a run is still an odd target. Remember all the bombings in late 2001/2002, almost all of them targeted transit. Big crowds and confined spaces mean large casualties, and it scares people more than targeting an event. If you target an event, it's isolated from the people. If you target their morning commute, they'll spend the next few months or years wondering if today will be another random bombing on their subway, or at their favorite restaurant, ect. Even if they were trying to hit the crowds from the event, they could have targeted transit in the hours leading up to the event, they get all the crowds and the benefit of hitting transit.

all in all, I think it's too early to speculate on the cause/perpetrators, especially with the strange target choice.

Unless you consider that they were hitting this target due to the sheer amount of news coverage. It's horrible hearing about it and seeing aftermath footage and a grainy cell cam vid or two- but to see the blast itself from many angles by news cameras, and people's immediate reactions, and the injuries right there in your face, with national and international coverage already right on scene to start broadcasting it (before it can be censored)... to some that would do something like this, it may seem like it would serve their end better than simply going for maximum bodycount.

When I heard about this attack, I realized that I wasn't even surprised anymore by this kind of stuff. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Probably just some sociopath looking to kill people.

I see absolutely no reason yet to suspect it to be terrorism related.

(Remember, of course, that terrorism requires the intent to instill fear in others). I expect it to end up being some jaded guy that finally realized that you can kill far more people with explosives than with firearms, if you're competent.

Edit: Oh, yeah, it's tax day. This would certainly be the day for someone that has nowhere left to turn to pull something like this off.

I get the feeling this is gonna add fuel to politician's "this is why video games are bad" ammo.

My heart goes out to all affected. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends of the victims.

I'm guessing it's some punk who wants to be remembered like the kids from Columbine.
Killing a bunch of people in mid-April, targeting the families/survivors of Newton?

Oh, yeah. You're going to be remembered for quite some time.

Think of it. The Boston Tax Day Bombing.

Has a nice memorable ring to it.

Xpwn3ntial:
I'm guessing it's some punk who wants to be remembered like the kids from Columbine.
Killing a bunch of people in mid-April, targeting the families/survivors of Newton?

Oh, yeah. You're going to be remembered for quite some time.

Think of it. The Boston Tax Day Bombing.

Has a nice memorable ring to it.

The Boston Tax Bomber sounds 'better'.

It seems a bit weird to target a marathon, so I don't see this being some kind of Al Qaeda plot to destroy the heresy of fitness. I don't usually keep track of the news but I'll be keeping a beady eye on this story. I expect the tin foil hat brigade will be out in force as well as the politician spinning this in to a pro-gun anti-game campaign (fucking Bomberman!) somehow.

Owyn_Merrilin:

krazykidd:

SanAndreasSmoke:
Heard about this on the radio. If this is a terrorist attack, I'm just worried that it's not even over yet. Hopefully those two explosions were the end of it.

My heart goes out to all those affected by the blasts. Damn...

Seems pretty tame to be a terrorist attack . And by tame i don't mean that it's insignificant, i just mean that i would expect an terrorist attack to be bigger and badder .

OT: well shit, who'd have thunkit . Completly random . Well it could be worst , good thing more people wasn't hurt.

It only seems that way because 9/11 was so massive. This is more in line with the scale of terrorist attacks throughout history.

Edit: CNN is also officially calling it a terrorist attack, although they're not speculating on who did it. Other sources are speculating that it might be home grown and right wing, but it's still just speculation at this point. Nobody has claimed responsibility.

Either way it's a terrorist attack - there's just the matter of whether the terrorists were domestic or international. Pretty sure the attack has inspired a fair amount of terror.

Obviously feel for all those involved - but also feel for the countless other people that fall to unreported terrorist attacks every single day in other countries.

Xpwn3ntial:

I'm predicting an extreme-right winger in the same vein as Eric Rudolph.

"watch me", I hate you, captcha

CriticalMiss:
[It seems a bit weird to target a marathon, so I don't see this being some kind of Al Qaeda plot to destroy the heresy of fitness. I don't usually keep track of the news but I'll be keeping a beady eye on this story. I expect the tin foil hat brigade will be out in force as well as the politician spinning this in to a pro-gun anti-game campaign (fucking Bomberman!) somehow.

Methinks this is a domestic terrorist attack. They almost certainly targeted the Marathon for the media coverage.

IamLEAM1983:

NightmareExpress:

Same. Tearing two people to shreds and injuring some twenty more in a marathon doesn't quite feel terrorist-like to me. Unless the Boston Marathon was perceived by someone as some kind of symbol, of course. This is just a random joe's opinion, of course, but I'm inching towards domestic terrorism too. It's some crackpot for sure.

Truly horrendous stuff. I hope those responsible eat a few consecutive life sentences in the face.

20? It was over 130, and it was only that small because the bombs were apparently poorly designed. They went off at the finish line, where there was a massive crowd gathered to watch the runners finish the race. This also isn't some small local event -- people from all over the world come to run in this marathon.

Is it a massive attack on the scale of 9/11? No. It is, however, a fairly average sized terrorist attack, if not slightly larger than average.

Well, injured people is no laughing matter, but without reading anything lemme guess: some american covert ops bombed their own citizens and now some terrorists are blamed and they'be going to war again? seems like the norm for America.

Oh boy, and people say videogames are violent... nope... people are.

chadachada123:

(Remember, of course, that terrorism requires the intent to instill fear in others). I expect it to end up being some jaded guy that finally realized that you can kill far more people with explosives than with firearms, if you're competent.

Edit: Oh, yeah, it's tax day. This would certainly be the day for someone that has nowhere left to turn to pull something like this off.

How was this not an attempt to instill fear in others? Terrorism doesn't necessarily have to be for any particular political cause, but this is basically textbook terrorism

My sympathies for everyone involved. Reading that deadspin article brought some joy to the boundless sadness about it all though. All those overflowing donations of blood and especially all of those strangers offering whatever space they have to people in need of a place to stay.... It's so heartwarming in the midst of such a tragedy.

I'm not sure how one thing would be better than any other, but I do truly hope this wasn't a foreign terrorist attack... The world doesn't need more nationalistic hatred. :/

I was at work in Cambridge, right across the Charles River from Boston and a coworker and I just finished packing up some equipment we were about to go move. We headed back to our office to get the help of one of the co-ops when he asked us if we'd heard what happened. When he told us, we were shocked. Our work came to a halt for at least an hour. We just kind of sat around looking at the updates on the local and national news sites, hoping that it didn't get any worse. Unfortunately, it most certainly did. Three confirmed deaths, one an 8 year old boy, and somewhere over 100 injured. My heart goes out to those affected by it, and I hope that the bastard(s) responsible are found.

Let us spin the wheel of absolute fuckwits to see what sort of pond scum surfaces to claim responsibility for this atrocity.

*tic tic tic tic tic tic*

Lionsfan:

chadachada123:

How was this not an attempt to instill fear in others? Terrorism doesn't necessarily have to be for any particular political cause, but this is basically textbook terrorism

Actually it generally does. Terrorism, properly speaking, isn't about creating terror. It's about using violence and the fear of violence for ideological reasons. I guess you can say it doesn't have to be political, but only because there are ideologies that aren't necessarily political -- for example, religious ideologies, one of which in particular[1] has become the standard image of terrorism in the minds of most Americans.

[1] Note that it's not necessarily Islam as a whole that has this reputation, at least among people who aren't bigots. Militantly fundamentalist Islam, on the other hand...

Owyn_Merrilin:

Lionsfan:

chadachada123:

Actually it generally does. Terrorism, properly speaking, isn't about creating terror. It's about using violence and the fear of violence for ideological reasons. I guess you can say it doesn't have to be political, but only because there are ideologies that aren't necessarily political -- for example, religious ideologies, one of which in particular[1] has become the standard image of terrorism in the minds of most Americans.

I don't know why, but that definition opens up a massive can of worms for me.

Not the place to discuss it though I would think, that discussion could definitely get ugly.

[1] Note that it's not necessarily Islam as a whole that has this reputation, at least among people who aren't bigots. Militantly fundamentalist Islam, on the other hand...

Owyn_Merrilin:
Snip!

My bad, tried to remember an article I'd read earlier this afternoon, didn't have access to a decent connection to actually make sure I didn't bungle the facts while posting this. Apologies.

I guess it's time to play Pin the Attack on Someone again - unless we receive some kind of message from a faction claiming this as its work. Fun times ahead. Yessirree.

distortedreality:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Lionsfan:

I don't know why, but that definition opens up a massive can of worms for me.

Not the place to discuss it though I would think, that discussion could definitely get ugly.

Well, there's a reason the old saying "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" has hung around for so long. I guess I'll leave off there to prevent the kind of ugly discussion you're worried about, but yeah, it can be a fuzzy area.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Lionsfan:

chadachada123:

I guess it depends on which definitions you want to look at, but I just can't get behind the notion that it's not Terrorism, just because there's no clear motive yet.

IamLEAM1983:

Owyn_Merrilin:
Snip!

My bad, tried to remember an article I'd read earlier this afternoon, didn't have access to a decent connection to actually make sure I didn't bungle the facts while posting this. Apologies.

I guess it's time to play Pin the Attack on Someone again - unless we receive some kind of message from a faction claiming this as its work. Fun times ahead. Yessirree.

Oh, no worries then. I think the initial reports were saying three people dead (which didn't come true until a few hours ago, when somebody died of their injuries), and something like 28 injured. For some reason it took a while for the news to get a count of the injured that was even in the right ballpark.

Lionsfan:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Lionsfan:

I guess it depends on which definitions you want to look at, but I just can't get behind the notion that it's not Terrorism, just because there's no clear motive yet.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's terrorism. I think I've made my views on why this was done pretty clear in this thread -- the symbolism is just too perfectly far right nutjob for it not to be that sort of homegrown terror. But if it turns out that there really is no reason beyond "kill lots of people," it goes from terrorism to plain old mass murder under most definitions of the word.

spartan231490:
[quote="xDarc" post="18.405834.16870382"]
Then why target the Boston Marathon? Why not an IRS, or other, government building? Why not a crowded subway station in D.C.?

Why Boston? A lot of the so-called right wing extremists believe in overthrowing the government and revolution. It draws a parallel with the Boston Tea Party, an event that ushered in the American revolution, orchestrated by a group calling itself the "Sons of Liberty."

If you were a right wing extremist, or a patsy right wing extremist, the significance of Boston is tremendous.

Why a marathon? Why not? It just so happens to be an event with a large gathering of people on a significant date, the deadline to file your taxes. Which harkens back to the whole Tea Party thing in the first place. Again, there is a tremendous amount of symbolism here. To top it off, there was an event related to the Newtown incident at this event. Newtown has been used as a touchstone for gun control- stripping away 2nd amendment rights.

I don't know what more I can say about why a person bent on starting a revolutionary war with the government would choose this as a target, it's all right there, painfully obvious; maybe too obvious.

P.S.

Why not a federal building? Well a lot of good it did Tim McVeigh picking a federal to strike the federal government; the ATF agents inside conveniently were all out on exercises that day. Instead who were the victims? Children in a daycare. Terrorism isn't about who you kill, it's about creating fear and accomplishing political objectives.

I feel this bomber wants to start a revolution, and if the government goes apeshit and takes away even more of our rights, and people rebel, maybe that is giving the bomber what they want.

xDarc:

spartan231490:
[quote="xDarc" post="18.405834.16870382"]
Then why target the Boston Marathon? Why not an IRS, or other, government building? Why not a crowded subway station in D.C.?

Why Boston? A lot of the so-called right wing extremists believe in overthrowing the government and revolution. It draws a parallel with the Boston Tea Party, an event that ushered in the American revolution, orchestrated by a group calling itself the "Sons of Liberty."

If you were a right wing extremist, or a patsy right wing extremist, the significance of Boston is tremendous.

Why a marathon? Why not? It just so happens to be an event with a large gathering of people on a significant date, the deadline to file your taxes. Which harkens back to the whole Tea Party thing in the first place. Again, there is a tremendous amount of symbolism here. To top it off, there was an event related to the Newtown incident at this event. Newtown has been used as a touchstone for gun control- stripping away 2nd amendment rights.

I don't know what more I can say about why a person bent on starting a revolutionary war with the government would choose this as a target, it's all right there, painfully obvious; maybe too obvious.

P.S.

Why not a federal building? Well a lot of good it did Tim McVeigh picking a federal to strike the federal government; the ATF agents inside conveniently were all out on exercises that day. Instead who were the victims? Children in a daycare. Terrorism isn't about who you kill, it's about creating fear and accomplishing political objectives.

I feel this bomber wants to start a revolution, and if the government goes apeshit and takes away even more of our rights, and people rebel, maybe that is giving the bomber what they want.

I disagree, but think what you want.

My sympathies to the victims of this tragedy. If I had to guess I would say that this would be a domestic attack as a international terrorist group would not likely attack such a minor event as they would prefer to go after higher priority targets. A domestic terrorist would very likely pick this kind of event as it was publicized and would cause a minor shock through the nation. Once again sympathies to the victims and thier families, heres hoping that the perpitraiters get taken in to justice.

I saw this at work today and was completely shocked. I lived in the New England area for about a year and I have a cousin that goes to school in Boston, so I have a little more connection to it than the average person that simply knows it as "that ultraliberal city where Harvard is located and Samuel Adams is brewed". Given that my dad had no clue about this even hours after it happened I'm assuming nothing happened to my cousin. Anyways, my prayers go out to everyone affected by this. I hope they bring whoever did this, regardless of their as-of-yet-unknown motivation, to justice.

Alfador_VII:

farscythe:
[edit] also my local news is saying its looking like it was a terrorist attack (course im in holland so no telling how accurate that is)but apparently the gas mains are fine....

The BBC have been carefully avoiding any mentions of bombs or terrorism, only relaying some unconfirmed reports of "devices".

It's better not to speculate on possible causes at ths point.

pointless vandalism:
Fuck me this is awful. MOVIE BOB ARE YOU OK?

Bob was on Twitter earlier, he wasn't in the area.

We should concentrate on those affected by the explosions at this time, at least 2 dead, and 23 hurt(some seriously), but I'm sure both of those numbers will go up later, sadly.

Why? It IS terrorism?

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Jeez, that's terrifying.
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said already. Thoughts and prayers to the victims.
I'm not going to start speculating who or way with the little bit of information that we have, I'm just going to see how it all unfolds.

Mimsofthedawg:

Why? It IS terrorism?

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

You're forgetting the possibility that this was not done in order to make a statement. There are people out there that are f***ed up enough to do this kind of thing for kicks, among other things. The term terrorism only applies when one's objective involves creating and using fear to get one's way.

But since the perpetrator not having some kind of social/political agenda is unlikely, they are more likely trying to avoid the term because the public these days automatically associate terrorism with certain extreme groups of Middle Eastern origin, forgetting in the process that the term would apply just as well if this had been done by a radically violent splinter group that hates marathon runners for some random reason.

Paradoxrifts:
Let us spin the wheel of absolute fuckwits to see what sort of pond scum surfaces to claim responsibility for this atrocity.

*tic tic tic tic tic tic*

In all honesty, I wished one of them would claim responsibility already or we catch one of them. It's scary as all hell to me that the person or people that did this are still walking the street.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked