Female Friendzone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

which friendzone definition? because on the escapist there are like a dozen different definitions (same with other things like Patriarchy and white knighting).

Ive seen friendzone definition that makes the individual look like a cross between a stalker and a serial killer on these forums often.

The one ive always used was more of a "sucks to be you" definition.

I was rejected once but since people are apparently interchangeable I just fucked the next guy in the queue.

Then I got fired from that supermarket.

It exists, but I would assume it happens somewhat less. Nothing more to say on the issue, really. Simple as that.

EDIT: Fixed grammar.

There's no difference between a girl who doesn't want to go out with you and is your friend and one who doesn't want to go out with you and ISN'T your friend. I don't understand why this is a term.

Evil Smurf:

senordesol:

Evil Smurf:
The "friendzone" does not exist: Man up, grow a pair and ask said person of desire out. If you are rejected, realise that not everyone want to get in your pants.

If you want to get laid so badly go to a bar and get some floozy drunk.

It's dismissals like these that make me sad. Dismissals like these that make the friendzone all the more lonely.

It's not about sex. It's not even about the object of desire. It's the crushing knowledge that you are not good enough -not for her- and, apparently, not for anyone.

The friendzone does exist. I have tread that lonely valley before. It is not a matter of 'sacking up'. If no one wants you; the sack gets you no further be it full or empty.

It sounds like you want friendship. This sounds brash, but how hard is it to go up to classmates or someone at a cafe and just talk to them? Seriously I've no issue with talking to people and making friends.

A. This shit's in the past. I'm married now. :)

B. It can be VERY hard for socially inhibited people.

C. The 'Friendzone', by definition, implies that a friendship has already been established. Sadly, for those so afflicted, such kinships tend to be rare and precious (particularly with the opposite sex)

senordesol:
A. This shit's in the past. I'm married now. :)

B. It can be VERY hard for socially inhibited people.

C. The 'Friendzone', by definition, implies that a friendship has already been established. Sadly, for those so afflicted, such kinships tend to be rare and precious (particularly with the opposite sex)

I'm glad it has all worked out for you. Also I'm glad I'm people person.

If you mean friend zone as they just want to be friends with the girl and she wants to be more than that of course girls get that as well.
If you mean "friendzone" as in "they totally would have dated me if they didn't view me as friend" that's generally a load of BS though there are undoubtedly girls who use the same justification.

Oh, this thread again. Predictable responses, by now I suppose my powers of clairvoyance have developed to the point that I pretty much know what exactly specific people are going to say.

I'll just repeat my tired old mantra. Communication is key. People, just be straight and honest with each other, and you're going to avoid so many mishaps, you'll look back and laugh at how silly you used to be.

If you want to go steady with someone, ask them. If they tell you no, deal with it.

And; likely most importantly, mind; if you told someone no, remember you're not entitled to the kind of relationship you want either (after all, you just told them they're not entitled to the kind of relationship they want), so don't label them a jackass if they opt to walk away fully after they got a negative answer - you deal with it, too.

Ryotknife:
which friendzone definition? because on the escapist there are like a dozen different definitions (same with other things like Patriarchy and white knighting).

Ive seen friendzone definition that makes the individual look like a cross between a stalker and a serial killer on these forums often.

The one ive always used was more of a "sucks to be you" definition.

Indeed. The Escapist seems to have it's own definition for most terms, and they all seem to be sweeping, generalising statements that are as insulting as possible.

Before I started hearing all of these topics about it, as far as I was aware it was:

Two people are friends.
One of those two people develops romantic feelings for the other.
That person confesses their feelings to the other.
That person is rejected, because the other "just wants to be friends".
That person is sad, as they have been told they are only friends.
That person is "friend zoned".

Nothing sinister, nothing creepy, no blaming things on selfish people, no trying to pretend to be friends with somebody to get into their underwear.

It's just a term used to describe when a friend only sees you as a friend when you wanted more than that.

Like pretty much every other term, it seems to have been taken, twisted and used to paint the people in a bad light as a way of making other people feel superior. I don't know why they don't just make up new terms instead to be honest.

Tenmar:

I will disagree because I've had friends who pretty much are still friends and would want to remain that way. The thing is for some reason when it comes to online it always takes everything to the extreme and makes what is essentially a simple relationship issue into some personal problem that makes someone to look worse.

The friend zone certainly does exist but for the most part what happens afterwards is really up to the individual. It only descends into something negative if you let it become something negative.

I don't think I will ever believe in the friendzone as a thing.
All it is is being rejected.
There's no need for a special term, especially a term which makes a passive thing (the other person not being into you) sound like something they are actively doing.

Legion:
Before I started hearing all of these topics about it, as far as I was aware it was:

Two people are friends.

Nothing sinister, nothing creepy, no blaming things on selfish people, no trying to pretend to be friends with somebody to get into underwear.

It's just a term used to describe when a friend only sees you as a friend when you wanted more than that.

Like pretty much every other term, it seems to have been taken, twisted and used to paint the people in a bad light as a way of making other people feel superior. I don't know why they don't just make up new terms instead to be honest.

That's how I always used the term as well. I never understood why there had to be something more behind it.

And, by this definition at least, I suspect it to be about as common for women as it is for men.

senordesol:

Jacco:
Goddamnit I hate this "friend zone" bullshit about it being about getting into someone's pants. FUCKING STOP ASSUMING THAT.

Yes, that is the case sometimes, but to just unequivocally make that statement is a gross misrepresentation of the entire issue. A friend zone can be anything and it is indeed a legit problem for some people.

As for the topic, yes. Girls get friend zoned all the time. Half the albums Taylor Swift puts out addresses that. It's just not as big of an issue for them normally because they don't have to go through the "first move" stuff. And there is always another guy waiting in reserve who would happily take her. So more often than not, they can settle instead of being outright rejected.

And I say this as a social psychology major.

Don't you think that's a bit of a generalization?

I will say, though, that I agree in that I don't understand the outright hostility taken toward people in the 'friendzone'. I've been in the friendzone. Alot. It sucks. And had nothing to do with sex.

Is it really so inconceivable that you'd like someone as a person so much, that you'd like to know them better as a potential mate? Is the frustration and angst that stems from the knowledge or the fear that making a move might push them away forever really so unrelatable? Is the notion that someone could be so socially awkward and lacking in confidence (or looks) that the idea of seeking out other prospects is too daunting really so foreign?

I can easily see (and have seen) both males and females in the 'friendzone'. Be it a problem with your looks, social graces, or confidence; it's real fucking easy to land yourself there and stick.

Perhaps this will help you understand why everyone thinks that "a guy bring your friend = backstabber son of a bitch"

Legion:

Indeed. The Escapist seems to have it's own definition for most terms, and they all seem to be sweeping, generalising statements that are as insulting as possible.

Two people are friends.

Nothing sinister, nothing creepy, no blaming things on selfish people, no trying to pretend to be friends with somebody to get into their underwear.

Well that's the scenario which seemed to be the most prominent in my mind as well. Although I also thought that the whole friendzone thingy included people who decided to first show themselves as good friends before trying anything but ended up stuck as friends. But this isn't some kind of obscure creepy thing, it's just a way to first show your "inner beauty" before being judged as a potential partner (which is also probably why mainly insecure people do it).

senordesol:
I can easily see (and have seen) both males and females in the 'friendzone'. Be it a problem with your looks, social graces, or confidence; it's real fucking easy to land yourself there and stick.

I wouldn't say that's a "friendzone", I'd say that's just an outright lack of confidence.

I don't understand why people get so upset when they're rejected, though. Surely the other person is doing you a favour? They're saying "I'm sorry, I don't like you enough to date you" - and isn't that honesty better than being in a relationship based on lies, or where one party is much more invested in the relationship than the other?

I'm with the side that believes the "friendzone" is a myth people created so they don't have to accept that the girl/boy of their dreams just isn't into them.

From my experience, men are so much more cruel when it comes to this. There's been times when I've fancied friends, not close friends but people I knew. I've told them and they've either cut all ties with me, look at me like I was shit on their shoes or very nicely told me some varient of 'but you're too ugly to be my girlfriend'

It hurt but I never complained because I realise it doesn't always work out the way I want.
Reminds me of that video 'can guys and girls be friends?' most guys said no.
It's just the way our brains work I guess. If a guy didn't like me romantically I'd still be happy to have a good friend.

Keep looking. Just because that one (or 20th!) girl isn't interested doesn't mean there isn't someone out there for you. If love was easy, everyone would be so happy all the time.

generals3:

Legion:

Two people are friends.

Well that's the scenario which seemed to be the most prominent in my mind as well. Although I also thought that the whole friendzone thingy included people who decided to first show themselves as good friends before trying anything but ended up stuck as friends. But this isn't some kind of obscure creepy thing, it's just a way to first show your "inner beauty" before being judged as a potential partner (which is also probably why mainly insecure people do it).

FINALLY! F*CKING THIS! That's the friendzone. Though the type of friendzone most everyone means (guys that is) is the friendzone when you like a girl and you want to know her better, but you don't tell her anything because you don't want to ruin what you have at the moment and so you are stuck in the friendzone. Anyone who hasn't been IN the friendzone can go and suck it when the say "Man up". Telling her is the obvious course of action, but would we be in the friendzone if we had the self-esteem to "man up"? I'm not in any zone at the moment, but I do have 4 very good female friends and have been friendzoned, so I don't take kindly to people saying it's made up and I don't know what else.

I put a girl or two in the friendzone, even having been friendzoned myself. It happens when you want to keep her as a friend, but aren't attracted to her in any way shape or form. It generally feels shitty, but it's the right thing to do and it gives you a bit of perspective when it's your turn to be on the other end of it.

JellySlimerMan:

senordesol:

Jacco:
Goddamnit I hate this "friend zone" bullshit about it being about getting into someone's pants. FUCKING STOP ASSUMING THAT.

Yes, that is the case sometimes, but to just unequivocally make that statement is a gross misrepresentation of the entire issue. A friend zone can be anything and it is indeed a legit problem for some people.

As for the topic, yes. Girls get friend zoned all the time. Half the albums Taylor Swift puts out addresses that. It's just not as big of an issue for them normally because they don't have to go through the "first move" stuff. And there is always another guy waiting in reserve who would happily take her. So more often than not, they can settle instead of being outright rejected.

And I say this as a social psychology major.

Don't you think that's a bit of a generalization?

I will say, though, that I agree in that I don't understand the outright hostility taken toward people in the 'friendzone'. I've been in the friendzone. Alot. It sucks. And had nothing to do with sex.

Is it really so inconceivable that you'd like someone as a person so much, that you'd like to know them better as a potential mate? Is the frustration and angst that stems from the knowledge or the fear that making a move might push them away forever really so unrelatable? Is the notion that someone could be so socially awkward and lacking in confidence (or looks) that the idea of seeking out other prospects is too daunting really so foreign?

Perhaps this will help you understand why everyone thinks that "a guy bring your friend = backstabber son of a bitch"

Aww, you ninja'd me.
Well then I shall just take my video elsewhere...

OT:
I think she is making a good point about "nice guys" and the "friend zone" etc., so her video is definitely worth a look.

I don't get this idea of "friendzone". What is so horrible with a man being friends with a woman? Most of my friends are male, it would be very creepy to think that they are only my friends because they all want to sleep with me ><. Not that it is likely to happen, considering I am gay and all. Or is this "friendzone" just that you are friends with someone that you are sexually atracted to? Cause I have had that, but I considered our friendship more important than me getting to "fondle her funbags", as the great Stephen Fry would say

I have a friend that often complains how all the girls he likes just "friendzone" him, but generally that's just something he assumes. He feels like the girl isn't interested in him "like that", so he doesn't even try to make anything out of it. If you treat the relationship like a friendship anyway, why wouldn't she think of you like a friend?!

Playful Pony:
I don't get this idea of "friendzone". What is so horrible with a man being friends with a woman? Most of my friends are male, it would be very creepy to think that they are only my friends because they all want to sleep with me ><. Not that it is likely to happen, considering I am gay and all. Or is this "friendzone" just that you are friends with someone that you are sexually atracted to? Cause I have had that, but I considered our friendship more important than me getting to "fondle her funbags", as the great Stephen Fry would say

It depends on the person but since i've been through it once the horrible thing is that you're basically constantly reminded why you are attracted to that person. Cutting the ties helps a LOT to get over that person. Once i tried my move and i was rejected that's what i did. Not because i see women as walking vaginas but because i knew that if I remained her friend I would be constantly reminded why i had those feelings. It's a matter of not wanting to torture yourself mentally, because that's what the friendzone is, a torture. And often the only way out is to try your move and bail out if it fails.

I think the friend zone is a gentle word for romantic rejection. And I think romantic rejection is a gentle word for sexual love rejection.

I like gentle words that makes it possible to make rejection stuff easier to process.

I think women get friendzoned less, because in general, guys are slightly less gentle in how they reject. So in reaction to flirting or sexual advances, he's less likely to say:

"Hey, I like you as a friend, I enjoy our time together, I don't want that to change" and more likely to say:

"Sorry I don't find you attractive" or just ignore them without setting her straigth, enjoying the ego boost at expense of her energy.

Now certainly there are women too who take advantage of men that way, let's not get into who does it more.

-------------------

Although that is all talking about under 30's people. After that it starts skewing in the opposite direction. When you get to 60's, women are fighting over the men more than the other way around (because men in that age range have often given up, or are still competing for the under 40 market)

Playful Pony:

I have a friend that often complains how all the girls he likes just "friendzone" him, but generally that's just something he assumes. He feels like the girl isn't interested in him "like that", so he doesn't even try to make anything out of it. If you treat the relationship like a friendship anyway, why wouldn't she think of you like a friend?!

Why would the friend zone imply that they were friends with you, just to be able to sleep with you? I know it's a line from when harry met sally. How is that tied to the word friend zone?

About the friend, this is an example of friendzone being a gentle word for rejection. But of course things are never that simple and sometimes we think we see rejection, while it isn't, other times it is rejection but not a permanent one. Human romantic relationships are intricately complex sometimes, because our brains allow us to make them so.

Owyn_Merrilin:
And the problem here is you're telling me this. I figured it out years ago, and you'll notice I'm not whining about being in the friend zone. We're talking about socially awkward high school and early college aged boys here, they're not especially good at the whole human interaction thing even before you throw unclear statements into the mix. This is not the fault of the guys, and it's not the fault of the girls. It's a problem with inexperience and differences in the way members of each gender are encouraged to communicate while growing up. Which is why I get really annoyed when I see threads like these fill up with people putting the blame entirely on one gender or the other.

Edit: Point is, it's a bad idea to expect socially awkward males to read subtle cues. For that matter, it's a bad idea to expect /any/ male to be able to understand stuff like that coming from a woman he's attracted to. It's just worse for the ones who are already bad at social interaction.

You're right, it isn't either one's fault. Which is why I so harshly react against the idea of the friendzone--the way it's typically used here on the Internet is to blame the girl for not "figuring out" the guy likes her so the guy can leave himself in that state of being hopeful while he waits for her to "figure it out" for indefinite period of time. And the reason it seems I'm placing more blame on the male is because I feel you can't say your efforts have failed if you haven't tried. And if you haven't put yourself out there to get the answers you seek, you haven't tried. You're the one seeking answers, not her. If there's anyone who needs to make sure the questions get answered clearly, it's the one who is asking the questions in the first place.

I think it is unfair that more of this pressure to ask people out is exerted on guys than girls, but that's the shape of society right now, and sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to confront certain things. There aren't any rules that say all social interactions should be comfortable, or all social exchanges should be fair. If you go into a conversation like that expecting those rules to be followed, then you're probably going to leave disappointed.

Hah, see, the biggest (and probably funniest) love tragedy of my life is that I always fall for girls that give me the friendzone syndrome, but at the same time I've done it myself, many times in the past. Most of my friends have always been girls, and though at first I don't realize it, years afterwards they admit that they 'used to like me' in the past, and that just makes me feel so s*it.

It's like Karma, you know?

But I must say, it never happens 'consciously', or rather, the way it happens with guys. There are no great 'admissions' of attraction from my female buds, after which I reject them with the 'I like you as a friend' line of doom - no, it doesn't happen that way; however, I have noticed the pattern of how it usually works, and it's thus:

If a girl's interested in you, she doesn't tell you straightaway, but it's still pretty obvious (the amount of time she devotes to you, the kind of attention she pays to you, etc.) and if you don't make any advances, depending on the kind of person she is, she might try and 'move on', get someone new, and at the same time keep her eyes on you, trying to see if you're jealous or not; or she genuinely moves on, and you are the one who becomes friendzoned (not completely, of course, if you don't start acting like a jackass, she'll still bear those sympathies towards you). Of course, this is all relative and subject to many varying circumstances, but I've never heard of an instant where it happens the way it happens with men, with the confession and rejection element.

It all comes down to the qualities of the girl, if she's confident, has high self-esteem, she's therefore very proud of herself, very dignified, and she'd usually never put herself out there, because girls are just smarter like that, I suppose. And I say 'usually' since I'm sure that's not always true.

Whatever the case may be with female friendzoning, I bet it's still every bit as painful as the male one.

Lilani:

I think it is unfair that more of this pressure to ask people out is exerted on guys than girls, but that's the shape of society right now, and sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to confront certain things. There aren't any rules that say all social interactions should be comfortable, or all social exchanges should be fair. If you go into a conversation like that expecting those rules to be followed, then you're probably going to leave disappointed.

I'd be a bit careful with using the "but it's how the society is shaped right now, so you have to conform" argument, seeing as how the same argument applied to a different aspect of "how society is shaped right now" would likely start a fire...

Evil Smurf:
The "friendzone" does not exist

Of course it does. The idea that women would use there sexual cashe` to get what they want, without having to actually commit to what they see as an inferior male. An honestly thats what women want, because as soon as men stop aying attention, those same women will inevitably be the ones making the "where have all the good men gone" statements, when no man shows her any sort of secual interest.

This isn't news, this is a well established, long standing tradition with attractive women.

hoooh boy! a friendzone thread! ain't that a blast from the past! :D

here's some simple ground rules:
-keep communication clear and simple
-good friends can still go either way on the romantic scale, people are not static beings
-romantic interest does not equal sex, asexuals also have romantic tendencies and may seek compagnionship in the form of a relationship, reducing the relationship to just sex has some very unfortunate implications.

and last but not least,

-Screw gender-roles, Fortune favors the audacious.

matthew_lane:

Evil Smurf:
The "friendzone" does not exist

Of course it does. The idea that women would use there sexual cashe` to get what they want, without having to actually commit to what they see as an inferior male. An honestly thats what women want, because as soon as men stop aying attention, those same women will inevitably be the ones making the "where have all the good men gone" statements, when no man shows her any sort of secual interest.

This isn't news, this is a well established, long standing tradition with attractive women.

I don't think that definition of "friendzone" conforms to any other definition I've heard. It isn't described as a manipulation technique but rather relationship blocking one. One wants to hook up, the other person goes "sorry - friendship only". Manipulation doesn't really fit there.

JokerCrowe:
-snip-

I'd say it's about 50/50 or 40/60 women/men.

Why? Well all the girls I've friendzoned I've slept with anyway so I doubt they think of it as being friendzoned.

Whereas guys complain to no end.

Also I think girls are more likely to blame themselves for the lack of attraction whereas guys like to blame everything else.

I first became friends with my current bf and then it evolved, so I dont think this 'friendzone' exists.
If you cant value her/him just as a friend, if its just worth t if you get sex out of it, then you migzht be better off with a hooker or a onenightstand.

and this:

AlexWinter:

JokerCrowe:
-snip-

I'd say it's about 50/50 or 40/60 women/men.

Why? Well all the girls I've friendzoned I've slept with anyway so I doubt they think of it as being friendzoned.

Whereas guys complain to no end.

Also I think girls are more likely to blame themselves for the lack of attraction whereas guys like to blame everything else.

yep, men would probably rather do that, but if you involve sex like that you probably arent very concerned about being friends, so its not quite a friendzone.

JellySlimerMan:

Calibanbutcher:

Aww, you ninja'd me.
Well then I shall just take my video elsewhere...

OT:
I think she is making a good point about "nice guys" and the "friend zone" etc., so her video is definitely worth a look.

To address the main anecdote in that video, both people's behaviour was completely shocking and unacceptable. Firstly, the way he behaved towards her, given that she was a colleague, was completely unprofessional, unfair to himself and unfair to the other workers. I am surprised they weren't both fired by the end. The man for blatant favouritism and calling her a cunt, the woman for not doing her own fucking work.

Secondly, his behaviour was completely cowardly. Rather than try to reason with the woman and explain to her his feelings, and why he thought her boyfriend was a bad person, he preferred to try to "win" her by being nice to her, despite apparently having no faith in her intelligence or judgement of character. They were both emotionally manipulative towards each other, the man for not being honest about his intentions to steal the woman from her boyfriend, and the woman for taking advantage of this fact. To try to paint the woman as the bad guy, and the man as a poor misguided fellow who was hard done by, is completely unfair. They were both cowardly and manipulative. The woman in the vlog even asks (paraphrased) "Why shouldn't he be allowed to complain about the way she was treating him?" Oh I don't know, maybe because he fucking put himself in that situation? If he didn't like the way she was treating him he should have stopped bending over backwards for her. Instead of taking this woman's personality into account and realising that she was a manipulative user he treated her like an object. They deserved each other.

Furthermore, what the fuck was that nonsense about women claiming they want a submissive man who exalts them and is always supportive? No one wants that. I don't know any feminists who claim to want to date a doormat who places them on a pedestal, so the suggestion that feminists demonise Nice Guys because of cognitive dissonance is completely ridiculous.

Finally, that's a loaded example. The Nice Guy stereotype is that these people then complain about the object of their affections, saying how unfair it is that they are treated like shit even after they acted as a doormat for that person. That is definitely entitlement because a normal person would walk away, not sit there slavering after that person, and then insulting them behind their backs for not making the "right" choices. People with healthy perceptions of the opposite sex don't behave that way. If those people saw the objects of their affections as human beings instead of "A wo(man)" they wouldn't get roped into this destructive behaviour under the delusional belief that behaving a certain way will win them the wo(man), regardless of who that person is on an individual level.

The same goes for women. I've heard a few women claiming that men only go after bimbos, that at the end of the day they just want sex, blah blah blah. Well no, you're just a ridiculously poor judge of character who pursues certain kinds of unpleasant people, then tries to compensate for their personal failings with sexist attitudes.

I had a guy I liked that I was interested in. I told him and turned out he wasn't interested.

No, I don't consider myself friend zoned. We're friends. He just wasn't attracted to me that way. How can I be mad at someone for that?

Just because we're 'nice' to each other doesn't entitle us to anything. I think girls have a better understanding of the whole ordeal with this BS of friendzoning.

I am not totally sure, but I have a feeling that women tend to get less friend zoned because guys will just sleep with women for the sake of it, where as women try to be proper but dont have the guts to turn a guy down and therefore results in friend zoning.
Not sure though.
I see more girls complaining about how the guy wants to have sex but doesnt want to be in a relationship, but never friend zoned.

Angie7F:
I am not totally sure, but I have a feeling that women tend to get less friend zoned because guys will just sleep with women for the sake of it, where as women try to be proper but dont have the guts to turn a guy down and therefore results in friend zoning.
Not sure though.
I see more girls complaining about how the guy wants to have sex but doesnt want to be in a relationship, but never friend zoned.

This actually made me wonder. Is there any difference between a girl/woman who keeps sleeping with a guy hoping for him to change his mind and accept the relationship. And the guy who keeps being nice/being there/being friendzoned in the hope for the same?

Eleuthera:

Angie7F:
Not sure though.

This actually made me wonder. Is there any difference between a girl/woman who keeps sleeping with a guy hoping for him to change his mind and accept the relationship. And the guy who keeps being nice/being there/being friendzoned in the hope for the same?

There are differences. But there are more simularities. They are both cases where one party is deluding themselves if they want more, because it's pretty clear they're not getting more.

But then sometimes, eventually they do get more.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked