Your Favourite Moment in Sport

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey there... I want to talk about sports here and actually as I searched if this topic already existed I found an article by Yahtzee titled "Sports nerds are nerds too" which only encouraged me to make this thread :D

So, what is your favourite moment in sport? It can be inspiring, it can be outrageous, it can be recent, it can be historic.

I'll start with mine, a boxing moment (boxing and football are the two big things in my home city and football is pretty bleak right now -_-) that happened back in 1952.

First some backstory: The man I want to talk about is Peter Müller who sadly died 20 years ago so I never got to meet him but he was a good acquaintance of my father and grandfather (boxing family). He was a fairly good boxer but unfortunately for him he had his pro career in a time when Europe had a golden generation of boxers like Bubi Scholz and Laszlo Papp who both stopped him several times on his way to European champion so he never made it past German champion.

Peter Müller was actually an awesome guy. He was nicknamed "Müllers Aap" (which would translate to "Monkey Miller" :D) because of first his hunched over stance in the ring, his good natured attitude and last but not least his facial structure made him look a little like a caveman :D He loved to celebrate, to sing, to laugh and to joke. He even released some carnival songs and was a cherished guest on the huge carnival parties in my home city. In a parody of a TV ad he was once asked what his opinion on OMO (a washing detergent of the time) was and he answered: "What? Omo? I'll knock him out in the first round!!!"

Now to the big moment. It was in 1952 and it was a German middleweight championship title match against Hans Stretz. The twist though was that Max Pippow, the referee, was actually Stretz' brother-in-law and did his best to ruin Müller's fight. Every time Müller got on the offensive Pippow interfered for bullshit reasons until finally he even called Müller "Zigeuner" (a very bad degoratory term translating to "Gypsy") at which Müller had enough and this happened:

As Müller put it himself he "switched him off" and Pippow got stiff like a board and keeled over. Of course Müller was disqualified in the fight and got a lifetime ban from boxing that was lifted again ten months later because of public outrage.

So what is your favourite moment in sport?

Mine has a lot less historic significance, but given I'm a life long fan of the team and the circumstances surrounding the series (two straight playoff demolitions at the hands of the same team in two consecutive seasons, bitter rivalry, 3-0 series lead blown leading to over time in game 7) this was probably my favorite moment. Certainly the most favorite in the last 10+ years, anyway:

It's not necessarily my favourite, but it's definitely the one I remember best:

Love that babyfaced supersub! XD

RoonMian:
snip

Awww... pity couldn't see 'the shot' in that vid.

BloatedGuppy:
snip

Not bad, certainly a goosebumps moment. In football in situations like this you often have the fans storming onto the field. I'd love to see that at a hockey game. It would be slapstick at its finest :D

SckizoBoy:
snip

Yeah, I know. As far as I know 'the shot" wasn't caught on a film camera. The shot of the white shoes cut in for drama is only a poor substitute... :(

And yeah, the FC Bayern München has a history of losing the Champions League to English teams in the last minute. :D

RoonMian:
Not bad, certainly a goosebumps moment. In football in situations like this you often have the fans storming onto the field. I'd love to see that at a hockey game. It would be slapstick at its finest :D

Hockey is religion in Canada...the only thing that really rivals or surpasses the level of fanaticism is soccer (football) for some European nations...we live and die with our teams. Especially here in Vancouver, where it's our only professional sports team. This was the downtown core during the playoffs:

If they'd gone on to lose again to Chicago it would have been one of if not the most historic collapse in the history of the league. The pressure was INSANE. When that goal went in...it was such a relief, I can't even tell you. I screamed myself hoarse.

Of course, we went on to lose in the cup final and then a bunch of idiots rioted and trashed the city but WHATEVER. It was still a nice goal.

Storming the ice in a hockey game would take spiderman levels of agility. That glass is pretty high.

As an arsenal fan this was obviously a great moment, even thought i was pretty young at the time

Also this:

As a MASSIVE Chelsea fan, nothing comes close to last year's Champions League final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYaeldJUISI

And of course this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReK1waJFhLI

SuperFrankieLampard:
As a MASSIVE Chelsea fan, nothing comes close to last year's Champions League final.

And of course this.

YES!!! Please more delicious bavarian tears... XD

Quite a few for me. Well Liverpool are quite an eventful club to support. Not for the faint hearted mind :P

RoonMian:

SuperFrankieLampard:

And of course this.

YES!!! Please more delicious bavarian tears... XD

Another gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJPRLoGFCbo

Manchester City never do it the easy way. Emotional.

It's probably not good phrasing to say 'favourite' moment, but the most memorable sporting moment for me is Marco Simoncelli's fatal crash in Malaysia a couple of years back. That was pretty nuts, even in pretty dangerous sports like Moto GP you never really expect people to die, but it happens.

The only other thing that always sticks in my mind was watching England beat Australia in the 2003 (shit, I didn't realise it was that long ago now!) rugby World Cup final. Watching Johnny Wilkinson's conversions and penalties was tense to say the least.

TheRightToArmBears:
It's probably not good phrasing to say 'favourite' moment, but the most memorable sporting moment for me is Marco Simoncelli's fatal crash in Malaysia a couple of years back. That was pretty nuts, even in pretty dangerous sports like Moto GP you never really expect people to die, but it happens.

The only other thing that always sticks in my mind was watching England beat Australia in the 2003 (shit, I didn't realise it was that long ago now!) rugby World Cup final. Watching Johnny Wilkinson's conversions and penalties was tense to say the least.

Yeah, I remember that too. I'm a huge motorsports fan as well pretty much a given for an automotive engineer although I'm not that interested in grand prix racing. I remember that crash and I remember immediately hoping after I heard Simoncelli died and what happened that Rossi and Edwards would be able to recover and wouldn't go on to blame themselves...

But as I said, this thread isn't only for the nice and shiny...

The one, the only: Canada's Golden Goal.

The outpouring of cheers across the country was incredible. In Vancouver the cheering was so loud it could be heard from the United States.

I am torn between the SC 3 2013 MLG Winter Championship because seeing Live VS Flash was amazing and the 2006 AFC Championship Game between the Colts and the Patriots.

It happened last weekend during Sunderland's 3-0 win at the Sports Direct Arena. Vaughan's goal, a great way to end a perfect game.

But more historically the 1973 FA Cup final win against Leeds.

My absolute favorite moment ever? To be honest I could probably go on and on about this for a few hours, but I'll keep it to two.

First: This was the game-tying shot that sent the game into Overtime (which UM won), and capped off a 10 point comeback in the final 2 minutes

Second: This was a few years ago, first ever night game at the Big House, I paid 300 bucks for my seat, watched us fall behind by 3 scores, then rally in the 4th Quarter, only to watch Notre Dame score a go-ahead TD with 32 seconds left.

But then magic happened....

Wadders:

I always preferred the longer version

Does professional gaming count as a sport? If so, I have a few moments that get me out of my seat every time I watch them.

Never give up, no matter how bleak the situation. You just never know...

What Daigo did here was amazing, but the crowd's reaction to it just makes this moment really special.

Well, YKWTS... the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

My favorite sporting moment is one that happened in 1995, when I was three years old, when the Seattle Mariners won a game against the New York Yankees, sending them, for the first time, to the American League Championship.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13062979&topic_id=8877490&c_id=sea

The call is just so exuberent, and the Mariners are the team I support and will support until the day I die.

Amethyst Wind:

Nice choice, you know it caused a seismic event right? the crowd went wild to such a degree that the earth actually shook enough to register on seismometers.

Lionsfan:

Wadders:

I always preferred the longer version

Oh yeah, that version is a lot better! Brings back the feelings of tension and despair and then elation far better. Great mash up of different vidoes. :-D I love Merson going apeshit as well haha. And the elderly chap at the end - sends shivers down ya spine!

I just posted a short video in the interests of brevity really.

This comeback from Slayers Boxer in a match against Joyo on Paradox in the OSL, Round of 16, 2003.
The video quality is just something the western fans had to live with back then. It's in 4 parts.

In spite of it being a low eco island map, I think it's one of the most gripping matches ever recorded.

Three things come to mind.

Second and third are hockey - watched a game between Bergen and Oslo back in 2010; Very exciting match with Oslo leading 2:1. Still Bergen managed to win the game by scoring 2 goals in the last 15 seconds after numerous angry but futile attacks. Third is even more of a regional (and German) thing: 3rd league Hockey playoff semi-finals between Frankfurt and Kassel this year - both ex first league clubs that went bankrupt but managed to secure a large fanbase and enough financial support to build up good hockey teams intending to get into the higher leagues again. And so every game between the two was essentially a coin toss and bloody exciting to boot. To give you an idea: Kassel succeeded in winning three matches in overtime by scoring the goal leading to OT within the last 6 minutes of each game and with one actually with only 5.7 seconds left on the clock....

Gonna delve into Professional Wrestling a little bit here, but I remember being 7 years old and seeing D-Generation X drive up to the WCW show in a tank and completely taking over, I was a dumbstruck little child. And of course, seeing Mankind get thrown 15 feet from a cage onto a table

While I don't normally follow Sports, I will never forget Jonah Lomu's tackling of two guys in the space of about three seconds.

oh easily the 1999 AFL preliminary final carlton vs essendon, I was 9 years old at the time but remember every second of the last couple of minutes, was at the time the happiest moment in my life, seeing the blues win it by a point against the top team at the time essendon

I don't care that we lost the grand final the next week, this game was...special

Please note that I am not looking up any stats, this is completely from memory and so I'm sure I'll get a lot of specifics wrong. This is just how I remember it.

I believe it was 1994 in the 3nd round of the playoffs the Leafs were up against the Kings.
I was a huge fan of Toronto and seeing them as an actual contender for the cup was awesome.

Game 7 went into overtime.
During one of the plays Wayne Gretzky accidentally nicked a Toronto player (Doug Gilmore?) in the face with his stick drawing blood. Under normal circumstances this should be an automatic penalty.
Often a 4 minute major for drawing blood.

For whatever reason, there was no call.
Upset and baffled by the call my heart sank.
Less than 2 minutes later Gretzky scored the winning goal...
L.A went on to play Montreal in the cup finals.

It was heartbreaking.

My dad and brother were all big into hockey at the time and we had the potential to see a Toronto and Montreal finals. My brother and I loved Toronto and my dad grew up a Canadian's fan. It would have been an amazing experience for our family.

These days Toronto and Montreal are in the same Conference and our family isn't into sports anymore.
Despite seeing far better games played and far superior moments in sports this stands out as the most personal and memorable. It's stayed with me where other moments have long since been forgotten.

A few moments come to mind here for me,

Watching Travis Pastrana's double backflip at the X games was crazy, even if i'm not entirely interested in the sport,

Also Johnny Wilkinson winning the Rugby world cup for England in the last minute in 2003 was crazy,

Now for football (soccer), two moments in particular for me:

Liverpools champions league come back, even just watching that on tv was the cliched roller coaster of emotions,

And as a Leeds fan this recent one sticks out for me,

It's special because we beat our rivals at their own ground, but also hilarious because the goal was such a 'pea roller'

Well as a Liverpool fan it has to be Istanbul, ChampionsLeague 2005. Absolutely fantastic day!

I will always remember this moment because of how long it had taken Australia to qualify for the World Cup again and watching John Aloisi convert his penalty kick was amazing.

I like when Zidane headbutted that guy for being a racist dickwad. That was great.

Mine's not so much a 'moment' as it is a whole day of events. As a West Brom fan, this is pretty much the pinnacle. It's a long video, and in and of itself isn't particularly entertaining. But what it represents is sheer magnificence.

Essentially, West Bromwich Albion were right smack at the bottom of the Premier League, a position from which no team had ever escaped relegation. To survive, West Brom had to beat Portsmouth, who were already safe, and the three teams above them all had to lose in games happening concurrently.

In short, it happened. West Brom made a weird sort of history and survived. But the thing I liked best about it is the atmosphere in the stadium. The Portsmouth fans were almost as happy to see us pull it off as the Albion fans.

My second favourite moment in sports isn't emotional, inspiring or amazing. It's simply downright hilarious.

That goal gets funnier every time I watch it.

EDIT: As specific start times apparently don't work with embedded video, the moment in question is from about 1 min, 35 secs in.

Soviet Heavy:
The one, the only: Canada's Golden Goal.

This was the one moment that crossed my mind as soon as I read the thread title. What an amazing part of our hockey history and such a historic moment.

I'm not into sport but what I am into is history. So this is my favourite moment in sport :) In your face Hitler!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked