7.6% (29)
7.6% (29)
Eh, heard of them
2.9% (11)
2.9% (11)
Aren't they attached to England?
7.6% (29)
7.6% (29)
Yeah, they're one of the constituent countries in the UK.
47.9% (182)
47.9% (182)
I know plenty about Wales/Cymru
23.4% (89)
23.4% (89)
Rwy'n byw yng nghymru
10.3% (39)
10.3% (39)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do you know about Wales?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I've been there on holiday. We had a whole week with no rain at all- my friend from Wales tells me this is impossible and I must have accidentally gone to Brittany instead. Also, I learned that it is a very bad idea to wear an England shirt to a Welsh pub that is showing an England v. Wales match.

I'm reminded of this exchange from Blackadder III.

Blackadder: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?

Baldrick: No, but I've often thought I'd like to.

Blackadder: Well don't, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men
roam the valleys terrifying people with their close harmony singing.
You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the
placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick, you'll be
washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

Being from England and having had a Welsh flatmate for the last couple of years, I know enough... ever heard of "small man syndrome"? Wales basically has the country equivalent of that :-P

Also, sheep. Lots and lots of sheep.

BrotherRool:
<-----

I hear they have the best rugby team in the world (although for some curious reason we seem to lose to South Africa and New Zealand despite that) and the country is generally considered by all people to be the most amazing in the world.

Greg? Is that you? Why didn't you sign the contract, asshole?! (JK)

I'm English but I live in Wales because it's where I go to uni and my housemate is Welsh and he won't shut up about six nations.

OT: I know nothing about the place that I live in. Other than that all prescription medicine is free and plastic bags cost 5 pence.

We DO have the greatest rugby team, also the first 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' is in Wales.

There's a rumour that America was names after a Welshman, Richard ap Meryk and there is a Welsh colony in Patagonia.

The language is one of the oldest in Europe, predating Latin, and is actually GROWING in use rather than shrinking.

Cymru am byth!

OOOH! I LIVE THERE! but nah, its alright, people tend be to a bit shit here though, especially the Swansea area (where i live)

All I really know is that there is a Welsh language, in which I doubt I can pronounce a single word, and that they have a bitching flag. Thought I had an idea of where in the UK Wales is located, but the map proved me slightly wrong.

wakenbake:

The language is one of the oldest in Europe, predating Latin, and is actually GROWING in use rather than shrinking.

Cymru am byth!

Had to check that one out, though I found that Old Latin is over 2000 years old and Old Welsh is 1400 years old.

They are mammals (shame if you don't know this) and there are around 77 or 78 species of them. They also think Captain Ahab suck.
I have feasted upon their flesh and my forebears used to hunt them (Norwegian). So apparently I am evil according to some sorority type girls who manage find time enough to pick the pubic hairs out of their teeth from the last party to utter moronic statements.

PS! Ah yes... Haaarrrr!

But when it comes to Wales and not Whales, I am festering in a puddle of ignorance and the stench is great.

Don't go to Wales, Baldrick, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrorising people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

I'm sorry, I never thought I'd actually have a chance to use that quote. Anyways, that is the first, last, and only thing I have heard about it. And considering it comes from Blackadder, I don't think it's entirely accurate. I know it's a part of England and that's about it.

Our national anthem is 10 million times better than the British/English one and we now have two premiership football teams, one of which is completely rocking it in the big leagues

AlexWinter:

I'm English but I live in Wales because it's where I go to uni and my housemate is Welsh and he won't shut up about six nations.

I have English relatives who had the misfortune to be visiting the week after =D We kept on serving them meals with only three peas on their plates and things like that

I'm Welsh, so yes.

And I hate the place.

I'm English but I have been going to uni in Wales for the past three years. I don't know as much as I'd like however...

I know they make Doctor Who and Torchwood there, which is great. Also I know that 'Ll' in a word (e.g Llanfairfach or something) makes a weird 'ql' sound.

I know very little about Wales other then where it is and that its part of the United Kingdom. I also find the Welsh accent irresistibly attractive. I know some people rip on it... but I love it.

I live in Canada and I had a Welsh friend with a locker beside mine for 2 years in highschool. And I still don't know a thing about Wales because I couldn't understand a single word he said. We had a habit of locking each other's locks backwards while their door was open at the end of the day so we'd have to struggle with them just to close them. Good times.

Like I always say to my friends "Fuck the Welsh". I hate those guys.

That was a joke.

I'm Welsh and I just like joking.

Tahaneira:
Don't go to Wales, Baldrick, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrorising people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

I'm sorry, I never thought I'd actually have a chance to use that quote. Anyways, that is the first, last, and only thing I have heard about it. And considering it comes from Blackadder, I don't think it's entirely accurate. I know it's a part of England and that's about it.

It's actually not part of England, but your confusion is understandable.

CGP Grey does a great video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

It's part of the UK... it's full of Welsh... and something about sheep...

Born, raised and live in Wales. Voted "Eh, heard of them." I know very little about Wales, I have no desire to learn about it either.

I know that Welsh looks like either

a) A language they made up to troll the rest of the world, or
b) Cthulhu speech.

And I love it anyways. Because I'm lazy I borrow real-life languages for countries from time-to-time, and I use Welsh for on of the bigger countries. More for naming than anything else, I can't actually speak it, of course ;u;

Well, the flag has a dragon (or some subset) on it, it is part of the UK, W is a vowel, they make Doctor Who in Wales, and the capital is Cardiff. Also the accent is hard for us Americans to distinguish from a Scottish accent unless we watched a lot of Torchwood. That's about all I know.

My expertise ends right about here:

I was compelled to post because I was just watching this guy last night, and reminded when I saw the thread.

I was born and live in Wales, although I did actually have to translate the last option on google, because the only GCSE I failed was welsh, but I live in southern pembrokeshire, otherwise known as "Little England beyond Wales" because everyone speaks english as their first language, and have done for several hundreds of years.

The only thing I have heard about them is that the British say "do stuff" with sheep all the time. Then again, I have heard the same about New Zealand...

Da Orky Man:
So, have you ever heard of that little rocky outcropping of England the inhabitants call Wales? (The shaded bit)

You see, on the occasion that I go out of the UK, I find that almost nobody has ever heard of us, although I kind of expected to be rather obscure

So I am asking you, my fellow Escapees, how aware are you of Wales? Thinks its an animal? Well enough to know a Welsh leisure centre when you see one? Or perhaps you are fluent in Welsh, descendant language of much of pre-Roman Europe, and bane of visitors without chest colds.
Or, for the brave amongst you, can you pronounce the names of such towns and villages as Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Llanelli or even the dreaded Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

What do I know about Wales? Great pasties, horrible weather, some decent ales, lovely ladies, horrible weather, Imogen Thomas, horrible weather, Griff Rhys Jones, horrible weather, Rob Brydon, jokes about sheep and/or horrible weather.

Not much really. Sheep, most of you can carry a tune (Except the ones that reeeeally can't.) good cheese, sheep, nice beer, pretty girls+awesome accent, sheep, and a historic language clearly created by the welsh ladies.

*shrug*

A lot... not as much as a real Welsh person...but since half my family is Welsh I spose I know more than most English people.

But when Owain Glyndwr returns from the dead or one of his descendants starts a rebellion I may head down to Corwen and enlist.

As a dutch person who's way into British comedy, I am well aware of Wales. I know that you do some weird stuff with the English language, and are (undoubtedly wrongly) notorious for shagging sheep.
Other than that, from Top Gear I have learned you have some lovely roads.
And didn't Eddie Izzard run from London to Wales in an astoundingly short time?

I guess it's not much, but there you have it. Seems like a nice place to go on holidays to sometime, though I think I'd still prefer to go to Scotland instead. Sorry!

The Welsh have started to wear kilts as the sheep got used to the sound of the zips.

All I know about Wales is from Scandanavia and the World. Great little comic and helped me learn about Scandanavian history and their respective flags.

Oh, and that no English people like the Welsh apparently. Since I have dual citizenship, do I have to hate them as a cultural requirement?

Here's the actual comic if the link craps out.

umm, I'm one quarter welsh I guess (due to my grandmother being welsh)
I know that it's part of the UK from this

And I know it's flag has a welsh dragon on it (Because I asked why all the cupcakes had icing dragons on them when I went to a welsh birthday party)

Pretty much it.

Born in Haverfordwest, used to speak Welsh fluently. Then I moved far far away.... to Wiltshire, where I was bullied to the point of forcing myself to forget everything Welsh (4-6 year olds can be cunts)! Too ashamed to go back, although I live fairly close in Gloucestershire now.

Not a lot, despite being there at this very moment. Seems inoffensive enough for the most part, but I grow weary of every sign having to be written twice, once in a language people actually speak and once in relative gibberish.

I know the fuckers stopped talking English when I spoke my first word of it.

I only know where Wales is and its flag, and I only know this because my mother was born in Wales and then moved out. She's been away from Wales for so long that she has forgotten the language though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked