Something....odd? Need assistance

So yesterday I was playing ME3 multiplayer with some online friends. Finished the match, was in the lobby waiting for friend to ready up when I got the prompt someone had sent me a message.

I did not know the person, and had never played with them. So I read the message, it was extremely rude and sexually explicit. Now before you chime in saying "Ha! Xbox live young men and boys no wonder" I totally agree, not much can be expected from some people on Live.

What bothered me beside the content of the message was when I went back to my gaming history for the last few days, I had never played with that person, they are not on my friend lists.

So forgive my newbieness, but how did they find me? I can't figure it out.

End of story, instead of messaging back and ripping them a new asshole, I just said fuck it and reported them...kinda wanted to get mad, but that would only amuse them most likely.

So again, can someone explain to me how they found me specifically?

I've had far worse encounters on PC compared to Live. I have no clue how they found you though. Does xbox have a friends of friends function? Been awhile since I've used it, so I'm not sure how it works.

have had similar messages but yea..equally no idea how they are finding people tho.. tho in my case i assumed they came across me in xbox live forums.

x-Tomfoolery-x:
I've had far worse encounters on PC compared to Live. I have no clue how they found you though. Does xbox have a friends of friends function? Been awhile since I've used it, so I'm not sure how it works.

You can view others peoples friends lists from their gamer card, so it's pretty possible the OP was found through that.

I've also been getting something similar, although it's not messages, it's random invites to games I last played a week ago from people I've never heard of. :p

michiehoward:

You mean the Xbox Live profile you have publicly displayed in your Escapist profile? I'd assume it may have something to do with you not really "hiding". Also, I'd assume just random browsing of profiles is possible in one form or another.

DoPo:

michiehoward:

You mean the Xbox Live profile you have publicly displayed in your Escapist profile? I'd assume it may have something to do with you not really "hiding". Also, I'd assume just random browsing of profiles is possible in one form or another.

Forgot I had that up. I haven't been posting lately on Escapist, this never happened when I was actually active on the forums. But still a possibility. Thank you.

Maybe, someone friends with one of my friends...Lovely thought.

Thanks guys for responding. Maybe I should go through my friend's lists, but that seems far more trouble then the incident is worth as I already reported them.

Thanks again guys

Edit- thats my husband Live account...So nevermind, no escapist sent the message, kinda comforting lol

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked