A new genre in fiction?

So I recently watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I noticed it had a lot of similarities to Fooly Cooly.

They are both about relationships and coming of age. Both main characters start off in a ruff patch with a bleak view on life. They have both have eccentric female leads. They tend to stay grounded in reality until there is some sort of conflict at which point things become crazy and absurd. Stupid yet somehow clever lines. There are a few more similarities but I will keep it short.

I was just wondering if there were any more pieces of work that resemble the two aforementioned works, and if so, do you think that they could form their own sub genre.

There's not too much to say about it, I'm not too sure if either movies classify as a new genre but they both strongly try to resemble the comic(s) that they are based off.

That Annoying Guy:
There's not too much to say about it, I'm not too sure if either movies classify as a new genre but they both strongly try to resemble the comic(s) that they are based off.

Yeah, Im just interested in finding similar works. Though you still have to admit that they share enough similarities that if more examples are found they could create their own sub genre.

Dansen:

That Annoying Guy:

Yeah, Im just interested in finding similar works. Though you still have to admit that they share enough similarities that if more examples are found they could create their own sub genre.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree! But you won't see to many live-action versions (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) because they are rather expensive, and in the case of said movie, it didn't generate enough revenue as well as it got generally "disappointing" reviews.

Hmm, I don't know about another genre ether but they do both pull specific elements from different genres to give a completely different feel. Here's just my breakdown of it.

FLCL draws a lot from tropes of the shonen genre of manga and anime, it presents these in ways that hadn't really been done before so they don't feel stale or even like they've been done before. Combine that with a coming of age story and clever/interesting writing, it holds an older target audience leaving us with something new for the age bracket, a show of childish ridiculousness with believable problems and gag like dialog with an undercurrent of seriousness.

Scott Pilgrim is very much the same in most aspects, though I don't really know enough to go into any detail I can say it was also inspired by manga somewhat.

Both comic are really works of pure art so it's quite hard to find something of the same caliber, but if you're really after something like that, then might I suggest checking out an anime called Bakemonogatari, it has a lot less action with more talking due to its origins as a novel but it follows the same lines with intelligent dialog, an interesting world, a young likeable protagonist, all with an interesting style. I'd suggest watching the first two episodes before deciding whether you like it or not but it's definitely not for everyone though it sounds like you may enjoy it to me.

You mean aside from the hero's journey?

It's pretty much the hero's journey with a set setting, so I'm not really sure how it would be different enough to warrant its own sub-/genre.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked