48.3% (156)
Somewhat
18.6% (60)
18.6% (60)
A little
7.1% (23)
7.1% (23)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Has fast food been tasting worse to everybody else?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Simple question, is fast food been tasting worse over the last few years for everybody, or is it just me?

As for me, the only thing I ever get at fast food is fries and chicken nuggets/strips, and the last few years around where I live the two McDonalds I live nearby both overcook the fries a bit most of the time, and even when they don't they are barely edible, while Wendy's has been doing "natural cut fries" that already tasted much worse than the actual peeled ones as it was, but then they started putting sea salt in everything instead of using real salt, and don't even get me started on the nuggets.

McDonald's and Wendy's used to be my favorite foods and would never be able to get enough of it, but the last 6 or 7 years or so something happened and things got gradually worse and worse until now, where I can't even eat 1 large fry or a couple of nuggets without the taste causing me to throw it out. The only fast food joint I'll eat at anymore is Dairy Queen, of all places.

2 IMPORTANT NOTES if you never liked fast food much to begin with, this thread is NOT FOR YOU! Also, this is solely about how the food tastes, this thread is not for complaining about how healthy the food is, nobody cares about that anyway.

Nope, same as ever to me, had a Big Mac and large fries today and it was delicious. I do find that individual joints vary in how hot the food is, how clean it is etc, so maybe just your local branches have been going downhill?

I only ever go to MacDonalds, and it's always great. Especially drunk at 2am.

Oh, and Dominos too. Can't say I've noticed a change in that either. Maybe you're just getting a bit bored or jaded about fast food. Perhaps dont have any for month or two, then come back to it. I bet you'll find it delicious again :-D

JoJo:
Nope, same as ever to me, had a Big Mac and large fries today and it was delicious. I do find that individual joints vary in how hot the food is, how clean it is etc, so maybe just your local branches have been going downhill?

Maybe so, when I go down south by a state to visit my Grandmother the fast food joints are a little better, but maybe not since it's not by much.

Wadders:
I only ever go to MacDonalds, and it's always great. Especially drunk at 2am.

Oh, and Dominos too. Can't say I've noticed a change in that either. Maybe you're just getting a bit bored or jaded about fast food. Perhaps dont have any for month or two, then come back to it. I bet you'll find it delicious again :-D

I haven't had any McDonalds more than once every couple of months for the past several years, and I've stopped eating Wendy's entirely. In fact, I get a craving every once in a while to try it again in the vain hope that they might actually go back to being good, and they never are.

Well, I...

immortalfrieza:
if you never liked fast food much to begin with, this thread is NOT FOR YOU!

Dammit, foiled again! For what it's worth, on the occasions I do buy fast food, it's not from a big name franchise and I'm usually very happy with it - it's cheaper and more than what I'd get in KFC or McDonalds. I suppose what I'm getting at is you can try to branch out and try some more places.

DoPo:

Dammit, foiled again! For what it's worth, on the occasions I do buy fast food, it's not from a big name franchise and I'm usually very happy with it - it's cheaper and more than what I'd get in KFC or McDonalds. I suppose what I'm getting at is you can try to branch out and try some more places.

I have actually tired a few other places, most of which are either too expensive compared to it's taste to justify getting it any more than once in a blue moon or no better than McDonalds is these days, like Long John Silvers or Arby's or whatever, but so far only Dairy Queen has been good enough to be worth eating all that often, and since I don't have a car it's also the only one close enough for me to eat all that often.

I wouldn't really know. Out of all the big name fast food chains the only one I go to is KFC and I eat there twice a year at most, so I can't really comment. Otherwise I go to either local Chinese/Indian takeaways or local Fish and Chip shops and they've always kept to the same quality of being absolutely delicious.

eh well we have an absolute SHIT ton of fast food places around, so it more or less depends on which one you pick to go to.

the ghetto area ones? yeah probably gonna get an hour old burger and some old fries.

the nice new mcdonalds by the suburbs? holy shit, i'll take 80 large fries. SO GOOD.

As far as fast food goes, a lot of it is getting worse, but a lot of it is stuff that I used to like but now just disgusts me because I overthink what's in it. I used to love McDonalds nuggets, and while they're probably better quality now, I can't eat them because I know/worry what's in them.

The biggest tragedy is BK's "original" chicken sandwiches. They used to be amazing. They had flavor. Now they're just so bland.

I can't really think of any fast food that's gotten better with time, but whatever it is, it's probably at Wendy's. I'd say their fries are better than they used to be.

My biggest problem with fast food (other than how bad it is for me) is that no single place does everything well. I like BK burgers/sandwiches, but their fries are awful. I love McD's fries (if they're done right), but I can't eat anything else there. Wendy's fries are fine if they're done right, but they're inedible if they aren't fresh; same with their nuggets. The upside is that since fast food restaurants can often be found bunched together, it's not a big deal to go to BK for a sandwich and then across the street for fries and a coke at McD's.

KFC has become entirely inedible.

I still have a weakness for Arby's, but that's mostly because there's only one even remotely near me, and it's still a half hour drive away, so I end up having it only like once every few months.

And DQ doesn't do anything really well, though their fries are what I'd probably consider the "safest".

It could be your taste buds are changing. People's tastes in food tend to change over time. I remember when I absolutely despised tomatoes as a kid, but now I think they're great.

You mentioned how they're starting to use different ingredients. This may be a factor as well. It's surprising sometimes how even a slight alteration to a recipe can radically change the taste.

It could be new management/employees at your locations. Given the typically high turnover rate for such places, it's entirely possible the folks who staff the fast food places in your area give less of a shit about quality and freshness than the old crew. Maybe negligence is causing them to make stupid mistakes, like frying chicken nuggets in the vat they use to fry fish (that happened to me once...not very appetizing).

I voted no, then I remembered tasting a distinct change in Wendy's burger patties. I think they changed to a cheaper meat so I don't like them as much.

It's offset though because I like McDonalds a lot more than I used to.

Well KFC's grilled menu is tasting the same as ever(absolutely delicious), and I had Taco Bell for the first time in months 2 weeks ago and that tasted great as well, so it is probably just you. Did you try asking your buddies if they noticed anything?

I don't have much fast food, for it's mostly meaty shit. Why oh why does society not value vegetarians more? :*3

Nope . I have absolutely no problem with fast food restoraunts . However i wouldn't eat at wendies for my life .

That being said i'm not difficult for food . As long as there is ketchup , i'll eat it. Except wendies , Wendies can die in a fire .

Other than the nugget contain far less salt then it used to be (I clearly remember that as I always needed a drink after eating those) they pretty much the same for me for the most part (I sometime notice it shape differently like too much or less letture in my burger but that depend on the person who put it on).

nope the meat pies here taste the same

Neverhoodian:
It could be your taste buds are changing. People's tastes in food tend to change over time. I remember when I absolutely despised tomatoes as a kid, but now I think they're great.

I doubt it, the only thing that's been getting worse for me is fast food specifically, if my taste buds were changing the entire range of foods I eat wouldn't change. That, and it only seems to apply to McDonalds and Wendy's, I've always liked Dairy Queen, KFC, Pizza Hut, and so forth and they're still just as good as they used to be.

Neverhoodian:

You mentioned how they're starting to use different ingredients. This may be a factor as well. It's surprising sometimes how even a slight alteration to a recipe can radically change the taste.

Personally I think it has something to do with this "make fast food healthier" health kick that the U.S. has been obsessed with the last few years since they started it around the time this began happening.

lRookiel:
Why oh why does society not value vegetarians more? :*3

Pussy.

OT: I still enjoy the occasional fast food thing, and they taste just as good/bad as always. Assuming here, but maybe it's an America thing?

Only two fast food places in my town I refuse to eat are Sonic and McDonalds.
Aside from those, nothing has changed taste wise.

I've only noticed a drop in quality with McDonalds. Mostly because it is almost guaranteed to make me feel sick. Which is a shame since it's the only 24-hr fast food place nearby. There's the Sal's, but it takes a while to get your food since it's all made from scratch, sigh.

A&W, on the hand, seems to have only gotten better since I was a child. They used to put a disgusting level of salt into their food, now it's actually a good amount. I love eating at A&W, too bad the nearest one is over a half hour walk away from me :/

krazykidd:
Nope . I have absolutely no problem with fast food restoraunts . However i wouldn't eat at wendies for my life .

That being said i'm not difficult for food . As long as there is ketchup , i'll eat it. Except wendies , Wendies can die in a fire .

curious, why wendy's in particular?

lRookiel:
I don't have much fast food, for it's mostly meaty shit. Why oh why does society not value vegetarians more? :*3

because nothing beats a nice juicy steak/burger...plus my chompers want something meaty to chomp on, when i'm eating salads/fruits/veggies, it's just not the same...*sigh*

seriously, i don't think i've gone for longer than a day without having a burger or steak, i fucking love it to much, and nearly everyone i know is the same. i guess it's just a peer pressure kind of thing? the only vegetarian i know personally is a huge snob about it, maybe that has something to do with disdain for vegetarians?

solemnwar:
I've only noticed a drop in quality with McDonalds. Mostly because it is almost guaranteed to make me feel sick. Which is a shame since it's the only 24-hr fast food place nearby. There's the Sal's, but it takes a while to get your food since it's all made from scratch, sigh.

A&W, on the hand, seems to have only gotten better since I was a child. They used to put a disgusting level of salt into their food, now it's actually a good amount. I love eating at A&W, too bad the nearest one is over a half hour walk away from me :/

jesus, only a mcdonalds/sals/a&w? do you live in the middle of nowhere, or is your area just very clean about what they eat?

i can personally go in a two mile radius from my house and be within 5 different fast food joints (if you include subway)

I haven't gone to mcdonalds, burger king, etc for a really long time.

I go to a small time burger diner mostly in morning for its (amazing) breakfast burrito.

The owners and the workers are pretty nice to me and gives me free soda/coffee.

Plus, its only 2 blocks away from where I live. So I have good thing going for my fast food diet.

NO MCDONALD. I DON'T CARE IF YOU OFFER DRINKS FOR ONLY $1.

I might be biased, but I think it might have something to do with growing older. The reason I'm biased? I worked at a McDonald's for 5 years, and since during most of those 5 years I had no transportation (14-17 I walked from school, and called my parents for a ride home). And since it was the only food place within several miles, I couldn't walk anywhere and we didn't even have a fridge in the break room, so so packing... What I'm getting at is: I ate McDonald's food 5 days a week for about 5 years straight (Strangely I only gained about 30 pounds, and shed it fairly quickly after leaving). SO fast food... food doesn't really sit well with me anymore.

Also, since I quit the store has gone downhill. New management, and one that cares even less than the one we had. I was forced to work after getting burnt enough to warrant going to the hospital. I had to work the SAME DAY I had minor surgery, and I couldn't take my pain/anti-infection meds (both made me drowsy by themselves. Together they practically put me into a 4 hour coma.) When I got my wisdom teeth removed, I was forced to work in the Drive-Thru TAKING ORDERS with a mouth full of bloody gauze. And my former co-workers are saying it started going downhill AFTER I quit.

I think the main problem (where I live) is that growing up we had 3 choices. McDonald's, Wendy's, or KFC. So it grew old quickly since we didn't have much variety.

Don't eat fastfood much anymore. Usually when I do it is a Wendy's chili run.

gmaverick019:

solemnwar:

jesus, only a mcdonalds/sals/a&w? do you live in the middle of nowhere, or is your area just very clean about what they eat?

i can personally go in a two mile radius from my house and be within 5 different fast food joints (if you include subway)

The Sal's and McDs are merely the ones that are 24 hours. There are more places to eat, like Tim Horton's (of course), Subway, Mr Subs, Santa Lucia, Gondola, a bunch more that I never go to so I can't remember the name of lol.

I should probably add that I live in the suburbs of Winnipeg, most of the space is taken up by homes, not businesses.

For me, it's probably not a question of degrading quality but of personal tastes. I used to love fast food but nowadays, I just don't have the stomach for it anymore. I don't mind the occasional drunk binge on cheap burgers but that's a truly rare occurrence these days. Damn, I must be getting old.

it's always been terrible but usually as a little kid, you don't know any better. I loved elementary school food, but by middle school i already noticed how disgusting and low quality the food was (and how overpriced, $4.50 for a slice of pizza and 5oz milk) As for fast food such as Mc Donalds and the like, it's always been nasty. i haven't liked that kinda thing since i was 8 years old.

I'm quite serious about food quality and so I cook and prepare 95% of all food i eat. (outside of bagged chips or the rare times i eat at a restaurant)

Depends on the restaurant. I no longer eat Burger King or KFC because they just aren't that good, and I can't even stand the smell of Burger King. Wendy's is sort of iffy, but that is due to it being the last thing I ate prior to throwing up when I got a kidney stone. McDonald's, Chik-fil-A, and Subway are all still really good. I'm not sure if Arby's or Panera Bread count as fast food, but I do enjoy those as well.

Bojangles reigns supreme!

Still the best, and still tastes freaking excellent.

First off, sea salt is awesome. though the new fries at Wendy's are no better or worse than the old.

To address the question, I really don't think fast food is getting worse, If anything it is improving due to the simple fact that industry pressure is forcing them to. I remember that in the 80s when you ordered a burger at McDs they took a pre made one off the heat rack and sold to you. Maybe it was there for 10 seconds maybe it was there for 10 minutes but it sure as fuck wasn't fresh made. Far as I know Burger king is the only chain that still uses this appalling practice.

In most cases it's better than in times past though there may have been some backwards steps taken. Maybe it's not so much the food but your own personal tastes that have changed. Also, from some of the content in your post OP it may be that the standards at your local franchises have gone to hell. It should be happening that your fries are burnt. There are timers on the bloody fryers. Maybe to save money they are not changing the oil enough(bad business there) maybe cleanliness is not up snuff(worse) or maybe it's just you. Stuff I loved 5 years ago I would not touch now. I think we all go through that.

Now that you mention it, I do believe the chicken meals at McDonald's have gotten worse. I just can't stand the mayonnaise they use, it has such a strange and artificial aftertaste. The nuggets are still fine though.

The only fast food I eat is chicken based. Mc Nuggets, and my new love, popeyes fried chicken.

SCREW YOU KFC

LONG LIVE POPEYES

I would hazard a guess that you are simply eating too much fast food. I have it ~3x per year, and its a wonderful treat when I do.

I said no, but I will caveat that with the fact that I've just moved, and while every Wendy's where I used to live was pretty much unmatchable and even, dare I say, good, the Wendy's here are plops. McDonalds has been consistently the weakest, and BK is too expensive for what you get.

Don't talk to me about Taco Bell... *shudder*

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or