Making an effort to like something

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Some time last year, I bought The Witcher 2 on Xbox, and while I initially enjoyed it, my interest quickly dropped off, which is a shame, because I love the premise of the whole thing. I didn't really know anything about the supporting cast or much about the world they inhabited, I simply wasn't invested in the series enough to enjoy it.

So the other day, I saw it on Steam for really cheap and I thought to myself 'You know, I should really give this another shot'.

At the time of my original purchase, I didn't have an adequate gaming PC, so I couldn't play the first title. I've recently purchased the Enhanced Edition Director's Cut of the first game, and I'm going to do something I don't usually do.

Give something I initially didn't like, another chance.

I want to love you Geralt, just give me a chance.

How about you guys? Have you ever been initially turned off of something, only to give it another try and find you enjoyed it a lot more?

good luck, the first game is hella hard to get into, the beginning is very dry and tedious. still loved it though.

OT: The first mass effect, the first 2 times i played it i made it about to the part where you are about to become a spectre, and i was EXTREMELY bored with it and just was not getting into it.

randomly tried it again when i got it for 5 bucks on my computer, and fucking loved it, to this day it's still my favorite mass effect of the 3 games.

I find it always pays to give things another shot, Borderlands was an example for me.

I really hated the mmo-lite mechanics in the game but it silly and the guns are fun, but had to have a second crack to get past the stuff i didn't like. mostly jsut playing it longer than an half hour and leaving the starter zone.

I really badly want to enjoy Assassin's Creed 3 every time I go back to it, but there's just something missing. Probably assassinations.

At the moment I'm really trying to like Red Dead Redemption. Everyone says how amazing it is, and I want to like it because we don't really get enough Westerns.

But at the moment, I can only be bothered with it for about 20 minutes before something irritates me and I go off and play something else.

I will persevere though to hopefully find this amazing game everyone was talking about!

I tried that with Dead Island a few times. It's a cool environment, it's pretty interesting, but the combat is a chore rather than fun. I don't have one thing I want to do to keep me going -- the weapons are boring, the driving is boring, the fetch missions are the same. I need a reason to go back.

I'm doing the same with Dragon Age at the mo... I even bought the second one as an incentive to finish the first... then I'll move on!

Elementary - Dear Watson:
I'm doing the same with Dragon Age at the mo... I even bought the second one as an incentive to finish the first... then I'll move on!

DA2?

That was a mistake that will plague you for the ages

hohohohoho

Andy Shandy:
At the moment I'm really trying to like Red Dead Redemption. Everyone says how amazing it is, and I want to like it because we don't really get enough Westerns.

But at the moment, I can only be bothered with it for about 20 minutes before something irritates me and I go off and play something else.

I will persevere though to hopefully find this amazing game everyone was talking about!

You know, other people claiming it to be amazing doesn't mean that you'll find it amazing.

If you don't like it to that extent, it's best not to try and not end up bitter.

Dota 2. That game is unintuitive as fuck, and I hated it at first when I had no idea what was going on. I tried it a year later making an effort to understand it, now I love it.

They really need to finish the tutorial. Trying to learn that game without outside help is far too complicated, especially if you've never played a moba.

General Twinkletoes:

They really need to finish the tutorial. Trying to learn that game without outside help is far too complicated, especially if you've never played a moba.

Well, the last patch introduced animations for the next part of the tutorial.

Fallout 3, I was amazingly meh-ed by it the first time, stopped after reaching DC at level 8.

But man, the second time, I was freaking hooked! I couldn't concentrate at school because all I could think of was wanting to return to the capital wasteland!

I had to put up my best effort to go back into God Hand after trying it out for the first few levels and deciding it was crap... and then going back to the game and thinking FUCK YEAH... and then trudging through that fucking pyramid level... overall I liked the game but man was it a love-hate thing while it lasted...

Dead Rising 2. I got it back when it came out after a friend reccommended it. I played it a bit, raged at the time constraints, and buried it in my cabinet, not to be found for over a year.

Just found it again last summer, and it was all I played for 2 weeks. Time constraints aren't as bad as I remember.

Witcher 2 for me as well actually. Gave it a shot, hated it, tried it again a few months ago and honestly it's pretty good.
Dota 2 seems like it'll be a recurring theme too. Once I got the hang of last hitting I started enjoying it a lot more and I've been playing it a whole lot.

Oh, somewhat minor, but Halo 3. Got it a while back, fucking hated basically everything about it. Thought it was awful. Decided to chill a bit and enjoyed it. Multiplayer campaign was good fun too.

The Walking Dead. When I first played Episode 1, I absolutely hated it, and when I say hated it, I mean I hated it in the "tell every random person on the street how horrible the game is" sense. Then I replayed it recently for a few reasons that I really don't feel like going into. I fell in love with it and got through all five episodes within a week. Now I can't wait for season two.

There's also the first Mass Effect. Between the Mako, clunky combat, and horrible save system, I stopped playing about midway through. However, by that point, I was already decently deep into the romantic relationship with Ashley, and I kept wanting to go back just to see how it developed. In the end, I never did come to like the Mako or combat, but I did love the game for its story and found the last 1/4 or so of the game to be really good.

While maybe not enjoying it as much, I've definately given things a second try. Some good examples.

Two Worlds. I gave that thing 4 good tries, only on my 4th did I complete it and on the 4th I enjoyed it a lot more. Mainly because I could now say I got to the end of Two Worlds.
Borderlands. Tried it twice, mainly as a single player. It was boring and tedious to me. But I bought Borderlands 2 and loved it for the most part.
Tenchu Z. Nice little stealth game although controls are a bit funny. Boring at first but when you get into it and get lovely little ninja toys to play around with the game becomes a hoot.
Some movies do this to me too, though mainly bad ones. The Room just seems to get better and better every time I watch it.

KOTOR 2. I ended up wandering around in circles wondering where the game wanted me to go. I finally got fed up and just quit.

That was months ago and I'm toying with the idea of giving it another shot--but starting from scratch instead of trying to continue with the same character.

Maybe. <.<

I bought Demons Souls on a blind buy having no real idea what it was at the time and tried for several weeks to get into it.

I really really wanted to like it, but alas I finally realized I have better things to do and sold it back.

I tried Borderlands 2 again a while ago (I just got to Sanctuary for the first time then stopped) because:

1. Mechromancer was out and she was really the only character that looked interesting and 2. I don't have to deal with having friends in the game. No offense but why bother with such good writing when you've got that one friend pumping Dubstep over the mic and the other arguing over loot?

I'm really liking it now that I can pay attention to the story. Have I told you i'm not the most social person you have ever known?

And yeah I might to back to Witcher 2... No i'm lying, I won't. It's trying too hard.

"Oh look at me, i'm so mature! Shitcuntcockwhores! Ha casul sex!11! Rape jokes! Murder! Teeheeheehee!"

The Grimdark theme is forced to say the least.

I had to take a six month break from Dark Souls when I first played it. I was fucking MAD! I only went back to it because I forgot how much I was pissed off by it. I got to Sen's Fortress before I ragequitted for an extended period of time again. I gave up on the final boss because lol FPS drops.

Yeah precision parries are a good idea for a boss fight but not when the FPS spontaneously goes all over the place. Hopefully DS2 doesn't have FPS problems like the first one. Also a good PC port would be nice since apparently I game on PCs now.

Success stories:

Far Cry 3

I got it when it came out, but it had technical issues so I "shelved" it. Some time later I got a new GPU, so I told myself "Right, I'm gonna get you to work and test this shit", but it didn't work and I couldn't summon enough fucks to really put in the effort; I "shelved" it again.
Lately though, with the buzz surrounding Blood Dragon, the fucks just came to me and I solved the problem in 10 minutes.

Then this happened:

I love it now.

Sleeping Dogs

I'm not sure what held me back the first time, but I just played some 30 minutes of it and then did something else. I tried starting it up again once or twice, but wasn't really drawn in and I guess some other game held my attention at the time (probably Planetside 2).
But then I decided to actually put in the time for it to grab me and man, was I hooked then.

Shameful failure story:

Bioshock

To this day I can't be fucked to play this game. I tried in 2007. I tried when I bought it a second time for Steam. I tried right when I finished and loved Bioshock: Infinite and it just won't let me in. The shooting always felt weird to me, the movement of everything sort of rough, it looked dated even in 2007... I WANT to love it, but it doesn't love me back.

I've tried to play Alpha Protocol twice because the dynamic story deal intrigues me (plus Obsidian), but the damned hacking game...I'm not stupid. I can normally pick things up rather quickly and understand them, but that mini-game is such a load of crap, and I get tired of setting off the alarm and having to deal with it. My only guess is to try it with a controller, and if that doesn't work than I guess the game used up its 3 tries with me.

I've tried Dishonored twice as well. I love Bioshock, Deus Ex, Half-Life/2, and every other game that supposedly gets its boots cleaned by Dishonored (though miraculously I've never played any Thief). I just...can't get into it. All the NPCs are dull as hell, there's no emotion to the delivery of the lines, and I feel so little context to the world and practically no desire to ruffle through things and read the books/notes about the world. My only guess here is that I'm not really a "fuck around with the systems and make the world my playground" kinda guy.

For a positive example, Skyrim. It took an amount of mods about 10 times larger than the game folder (including a fantastic one that adds 100s of fully voiced NPCs with really fun and interesting back stories). Finally, it clicked. For awhile the game was my "how far can I push my PC" game and means to experience the mod community, but now I enjoy it the way everyone else supposedly does. When the perks are all modified, and the guards say things that are contextual to what you're wearing and what you've accomplished, and the dragons are a dangerous and dynamic threat, and you can strike up random conversations that meet or exceed the Fallout 3 standards that actually preceded this game, it is absolutely fucking fantastic.

I gave up on my first MGS4 playthrough after my first run in with the frog-women. I absolutely loved Metal Gear Solid, but never really followed the series after the original and the Twin Snakes remake. I owned both Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater but, at the time, I was too impatient to play them properly so I gave up relatively early in.

Strangely, it took watching a Let's Play of MGS 2 & 3 (both of which I would absolutely recommend) to really make me appreciate the story and get me interested, again. I know we give Kojima a lot of shit for being overly verbose, but I think he is one of the best designers in the world, today, and he writes brilliant (albeit long-winded) plots and characters.

The only problem I'm finding on my second attempt at MGS4 is that it's kind of showing it's age and I often find myself wishing I could swap in Uncharted's combat engine, but it's still a really enjoyable and unique experience and I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

bobmus:
I really badly want to enjoy Assassin's Creed 3 every time I go back to it, but there's just something missing. Probably assassinations.

Totally true. As much as the giant awesome boat and the whole 'mary-sue insert into american independence politics' thing was fun, it wasn't called Pirate's Creed, or Politician's Creed.

OT: I do this sort of thing all the time. In the past couple of months I've done it with The Witcher, Breaking Bad, Might and Magic 6, Morrowind, and probably a fair few more. Also Fullmetal Alchemist, although I probably wouldn't have given that a second glance if I didn't have a little crush on the person that recommended it.

Turok 2: Maybe a lesser known title, but I just don't have the mind for massive sprawling levels that take an hour to navigate properly. So screw it, Turok 2! You will never be finished!

Giving something a second chance? Sure, I do that. But I dont' see it as "making an effort to like it". I either like it or I don't, if I have to make an "effort" then I don't really like it. It's just that my likings are subject to change now and then.

Cowboy Bebop. There, I said it. I tried to like it, I really did, but I just found it boring. The lack of background music may have something to do with it.
I might give it another try one day, but I still have a few zillion other anime on my "To watch list", so it'll have to wait for a while.

Not a game but The Lord of the Rings trilogy of books. I loved The Hobbit so logically I should have been able to dive right into the trilogy. I made it through Fellowship then hit the brick wall that is Two Towers. A couple years later, I made it through Fellowship and hit the same brick wall. A few years after that (I think this is...2010) I make it through all three...disappointment. I'm not even going to try the films...like with the books, I've seen Fellowship but Two Towers put me to sleep and all of my interest is gone at this point.

For gaming, I'm probably going to give Final Fantasy XIII another shot once I get my PS3 back. I've tried going back to Skyward Sword recently and...it hasn't gone well at all...Finally there's Minish Cap which I absolutely adore. Temple of Droplets it my current favorite Zelda dungeon.

Over the course of my life I've tried to like Bananas since I like the flavor when applied to things such as juices, smoothies, etc. I will never like a true banana however because of the consistency and, texture. Absolutely terrible.

Most recently, Ni No Kuni.
Now, I must preface what I'm about to say with this: I put over 50 hours into it, and played it to completion, so I feel I have a grasp on the flaws.
I've heard that the combat is what puts off most people, but where I take issue is the story.
Not the actual story, I think it's pretty good all things considered, but in the way it's told. Plot details are not so much told as they are forced down your throat.
Almost every time there is a development, Oliver has to say the obvious, then ask Drippy what he thinks, who says the same thing only with a British accent, then the cutscene ends, you walk to your destination, and half way there ANOTHER cutscene pops up to reiterate what has already been said. It gets annoying really quickly.
The most egregious, intelligence-insulting moment is when you're sent to an obelisk with a message written on it in Nazcaan (the fictional language of the world). You're given the cipher, so I thought you'd have to translate it. Makes sense, right? So, after 10 minutes of translating it, I hit confirm, ONLY TO HAVE DRIPPY TELL ME THE ANSWER INSTANTLY. I put the game away for about half a week after that.
Basically, the game treats players like fucking idiots with non-existent attention spans.

To its credit though, there exists a long side-quest which gives substantial background knowledge, while still treating players like intelligent human beings. If only the main quest line was as well done, the game would be one of my favourites.
Also, it must be said that the soundtrack is one of the best in recent memory, and it looks gorgeous.

Final Fantasy XIII, which I don't find that bad. Just tedious. The boss fights get a little ridiculous. Damn you Giant Cactuar and your 10'000 needle attack.

Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2.

I hated both for a while. For both games it took me like 3 playthroughs to like them and now they're some of my favourite games this gen.

Zantos:

bobmus:

[quote="Zantos" post="18.406456.16920394"]
Totally true. As much as the giant awesome boat and the whole 'mary-sue insert into american independence politics' thing was fun, it wasn't called Pirate's Creed, or Politician's Creed.

I think the main problem wasn't just the lack of assassinations, but the fact that when you got to do an assassination it was very much hand holding. For example, Johnston's assassination could really only be accomplished one way, just depends if you turn left or right, same can be said for Pitcairn's. They have said that in the next AC that players are going to be given the assassinations found in 1, where you basically had complete control on how you killed your targets.

OT:

Borderlands 1, took me 3 restarts before I finally finished the damn game, and even then it was more a job then fun.

League of Legends. At first I was overwhelmed with everything. The closest thing to a MOBA I had played at the time was monday night combat and the 100+ champions and all the items that you have to know both what they do and how to counter; I basically said "fuck this rocket surgery bullshit" and left it there.

Ended up being dragged into it again because my girlfriend liked it, and that gave me the motivation to actually learn how the game worked. Now it's my go-to game when there's nothing new tugging at me to play.

Another one is fallout 3. I didn't hate it the first time, so much as I picked useless skills at the beginning (having never played the game) and I ended up hating my first character. It's still kind of obnoxious game design IMO to force the player to make such important decisions without understanding them, but the game was so much better when i wasn't frustrated that I put so many early points into explosives and barter and used intelligence as my dump stat.

Never cared for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion the first few times I tried it. Recently though, out of the blue, I decided to give it another chance and ended up loving it. I completed the Thieves guild, Arena and Dark Brotherhood before getting kind of bored so I'm taking a break for a while before I go back and finish the rest.

Mass Effect 1. I hated the gameplay so much I skipped to ME2 and used a save-editor to mark all the ME1 plot flags. I instantly loved ME2 - it had an intuitive cover system, aiming that wasn't ridiculously broken, and skills that were actually useful, and it was shinier to boot.

However, I came back to it after finishing ME3, and for some reason it really caught me this time. The level of customisation is so much greater than in the later games, and it makes up for the terrible cover system and gunplay. If only Bioware had developed on that with their combat instead of turning ME2+3 into Gears of War with magic...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked