Iron man 3 (SPOILERS!)

Ok just returned from the theatre and I gotta say I kinda liked it. Of course now my brain has started over analysing all sorts of stuff so lets discuss the latest Iron man movie:

First of all: How pissed of are the Iron man fans going to be about the Mandarin bait and switch. Personally I was never that big on Iron man outside of the movies but I can imagine that a lot of people are really steamed.

Secondly: Is it just me or is Tony getting really bad at making suits? In the Avengers his armor stood up to a god, now a bunch of mass produced mutants can tear them apart effortlessly.

Third: So Tony fixed the formula? Does that mean the Avengers universe now have a cure for all physical handicaps (and probably cancer as well)

And last. How did you guys like the end stinger. Personally I LOVED it. Not really foreshadowing anything just a very good joke.

1) I've never read a single Iron Man comic, all I knew is that the Mandarin is to Iron Man what Joker is to Batman (kinda, I think). I would've liked him to be the real villain only because he was so hyped, both in the movie as in the marketing campaign. I felt a little amused and a little cheated.

2) Maybe he can't keep quality over quantity. I dunno, how many of those armors were actually just prototypes he was forced to use because of the situation? Also, mass production may have lowered the quality of his suits. It's probably just some goof the producers couldn't care less about. Somebody envisioned the action sequences and they went for them. Fuck logic.

3) I think he COUNTERED the formula. He didn't FIX it. Like an antidote.

4) The post credits scene was very cute. Evidently the producers realized the two of them have very good chemistry going on, them being the two "docs" in the team. But to me it's just another cookie without any actual meaning.

I've never read the comics, but am a MASSIVE fan of the Movie Universe, and do some research to know what the enemies are like in the comics so I have SOME context.

1) The Mandarin was bigged up EVERYWHERE, and I have to say, I knew SOMETHING was going to happen showing that he wasn't who he seemed, but what they did with it surprised me in a good way. It reminded me a bit of Dark Knight Rises, except you never properly saw Mandarin in action, so it wasn't wasting the film's character development. It was amusing and it made sense, if you think about current events and the opinion that Osama Bin Laden was used as a scapegoat by the US.

2) He may not have finished upgrading them properly. We all know what Tony Stark's like with using prototypes, he will use them if it is absolutely necessary.

3) Probably an antidote, wouldn't worry too much about that.

4) I was expecting something to hint at either Guardians of the Galaxy or possibly Winter Soldier, but seeing Bruce Banner again made up for it. It was appropriate for the end of Tony's time as Iron Man, for him to share his final story with someone from the team. Plus, it said 'Tony Stark will return', not 'Iron Man will return' (even though Tony said at the end that he was Iron Man, which could be taken as he didn't need the suit or that he was still ready if he HAD to come back), so he will be back in Avengers 2 in some form. Robert Downey Jr wouldn't let go of a role that relaunched his career that easily, he'd be like what Bruce Banner was supposed to be before he turned into a massive green rage monster.

Aw, there was a stinger? I missed that.

Anyway, yeah, great movie. Certainly much better than the second. I liked that Tony wasn't fighting a suited villain this time.

1 I admit while I was dissapointed that the Mandarin wasn't the true villian and was more of a puppert but he was a funny puppert to say the least (I laugh at those scenes) but in saying so I had more beef against the real villain for doing all of it. I had no problem that he was pretty much a egomaniac but his end goal just seen lame to me. Also I also dissapointed that we didn't get to see AIM agents (yellow jumsuit and weird shape helmet) or even MORDOK. No I wasn't expect the exact comicbook apperances, more like a redesign on those characters.

2 Did you forgot those "mutants" had super strength, heat their body to the point of melting metal and even possibly breath fire like the main villain? I pretty sure those alien in Avengers had abilities like those. Also it not like Tony had enough time to make an Mark 43 to counter the Extremists ability.

3 I pretty sure he didn't perfected it, more of an antidote otherwise Pott would of been a superhero (she return to normal).

4 It was funny but I must be getting bad at remembering people faces as I didn't realise that the guy he was talking to was Bruce Banner until I read up it online. While it was funny and all I was dissapointed it didn't lead to anything like Avenger 2 or the Guardian of the Galaxy especially when I had read this rumour which I guess is now fault (it was just a Iron Man toy which decription it being a space suit and something to do with the Guardian of the Galaxy).

Thinking about it more and more, it has some clever political commentary going for it; subtle stuff which will probably be missed by most of the target audience but hopefully picked up on by 'film critics.' I look forward to Moviebob's review to see if he picks up on some of it.

I respect whoever made the decision to do the Mandarin twist. Not only does it please the Chinese government, remember that fiasco over his name?, it also serves to suggest something about the U.S. War on Terror. I'm not well-versed on it at all so I missed it during the switch but after @V The System V pointed it out I get a better understanding of the big picture. I first noticed something was going behind the scenes when they had a shot of Iron Man in IF vision, the kind that the U.S. military uses. I dare say I should re-watch this film just to see if there's more.

I still believe Trevor is the real Mandarin, he just made himself look innocent in light of everything. Why else would Aldrich be so keen on cementing that he was the Mandarin after Tony figured it out? :P

I liked it. A funny and decent super hero movie, and the parts with the fake mandarin was hilarious.

It was a good movie, still probably my least favourite marvel movie (maybe better than Incredible Hulk). I guess it just wasn't what I expected. It's hard being the follow up to the Avengers.

I mean I really wanted to see Extremis Armor. Like when Maya had that extra huge dose I though Tony would get injected or something. The idea of his latest armor, the arc reactor and the nano bots in his body would combine with the injection to create a new superior armor.

I thought the Mandarin twist was good. But at the same time one of the benefits of the Avengers was that now we know Aliens exist why couldn't we have an alien technology powered Ben Kingsly smacking Tony around. Heck you could even tie it in to Thanos by making his rings hold one of the Infinity Gems (like the Sceptor Loki carried may have had).

I enjoyed the catching the people out of the plane. That felt like fun genuine super-heroing than all the navel-gazing in this movie.

Also having seen and loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (the Directors other work), this whole film seems uncomfortably similar with the narration, flashbacks and even Christmas setting.

I mean don't get me wrong I liked it and it's good.

Edit: Also I know the clean slate thing was symbolic. But was I the only going what if tomorrow's headline is "Chitauri Re-Invade Earth".

1) I loved the Mandarin twist, I thought it was very well done. But kind of obvious though given what the Ten Rings were, it's kind of hard to have the Mandarin without the Ten Rings of Power...

2) Loki and Thor aren't gods. Just a member of an advanced race, and besides Iron Man was ready for Thor thanks to Whiplash.

3) I think that Tony did actually stabilize the formula, but it is essentially another weapon and he used it to save Pepper from potential detonation and to get rid of the shrapnel in his chest.

I loved the stinger because of the humour and Mark is staying on as the Hulk.

Excellent time for this thread. I'm just back from the cinema after watching it.

1) Loved the Mandarin twist. However both of the AIM scientists mention a 'Master' Master != Mandarin? Another mastermind behind the scenes? layers upon layers?

2) The extremis formula was no joke. Besides, they had to be a credible threat.

3)Ya as mentioned he cured it not fixed it.

4) loved the stinger; moar characterisation!

Also liked the political commentary, with the oil tanker and the whole 'the real enemy is oueselves' schtik.

I left wanting more.

As a film student I though the Mandarin twist was excellent. But as an Iron Man fan, I am EXTREMELY butt-hurt about it. I got very exited about the Mandarin and that was not him. Not even the puppet was the Mandarin... He was just a completely different character. Also, narration is never a good choice in any film. Ever. Remember Blade Runner? Remember how they removed all the narration as soon as the studio stopped being thick? Yeah.

Mutie:
As a film student I though the Mandarin twist was excellent. But as an Iron Man fan, I am EXTREMELY butt-hurt about it. I got very exited about the Mandarin and that was not him. Not even the puppet was the Mandarin... He was just a completely different character. Also, narration is never a good choice in any film. Ever. Remember Blade Runner? Remember how they removed all the narration as soon as the studio stopped being thick? Yeah.

I think that was Shane Black's fault (the writer/director). He loves his first person narration. He did the same thing with RDJ in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang some years before.

I went to the premiere myself and I found the movie to be quite enjoyable aside from a few things.

My only gripe was the Mandarin being a bait and switch. I can't recall if he was in the comics or not since. I don't read them, but I did saw on some thread that his rings gave him some sort of magic power which he uses in combat. Too bad we didn't get to see that.

Other than that everything else was fantastic, especially the final prolonged fight once the "party comes around". All of those costumes fighting was pure badass and Tony jumping from one suit to another in transitions was epic.

One thing I didn't understand though: now that he is finally is free of the shrapnel in his heart and having thrown the heart in the ocean, does this mean it's over for him or he will continue on being Iron Man? He did after all told Jarvis to self destruct all of them.

I'm quite curious to see how they will pull that off in Avengers 2.

The narration was awesome in a meta sense because it means the entire film was just Tony telling Bruce Banner about it.

But other than that it was pretty lame. It worked in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang because narration is pretty common in PI story and the noir genre.

Did not mind the narration all that much, at least it gave me something else to focus on during the opening (I had blissfully forgotten all about the "I'm blue" song).

I really liked it. Was a nice return to form for Marvel, after the rubbish that was Iron Man 2.

The whole audience got a huge laugh out of the Mandarin twist, but I can see some more of the faithful comic book followers getting a little angry over that. I was definitely surprised with how it turned out, but I found it quite funny.

Let's not forget that those mutants had some badass powers, and Tony didn't build those suits to handle such opposition.

Missed the stinger but saw it online later. Was a nice hook.

I just saw this one yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot!
It was inevitably going to be difficult to act as a sequel to The Avengers but for what it was, it was great!

I was a bit disappointed with having Mandarin being a bait-and-switch villain. I'm not entirely familar with his character but from what I've gathered he's some kind of technowizard who uses alien technology. But with the existence of the Chitauri (and the upcoming Guardians of The Galaxy movie) it has been confirmed that aliens do exist in this universe so I'm sure they would have been able to write that in somewhere! Still, some of the scenes with Not-Mandarin were pretty funny!

As soon as I heard AIM in the intro I was quite psyched at seeing how they were going to do M.O.D.O.K in live action, especially when they were talking about Aldritch's "big brain". I wasn't too disappointed with what they went for, but from looking at the Marvel wiki it seems kind of weird that they went for a character who died in the same issue he appeared in but it does kind of suit the 'rule from behind the shadows' thing they were going with.

I will admit though, after seeing The Avengers I was wondering throughout the whole film why they didn't appear to lend a hand. I mean with the world-wide terrorist attacks, the President being kidnapped and Air-Force-One being destroyed you'd think that S.H.I.E.L.D would step in with their helicarrier and do something! Not even send Captain America, Black Widow or (God help you) The Hulk to provide a little assistance? We couldn't even get a little token message from Nick Fury saying that he can count on Tony to get to get the job done himself or how S.H.I.E.L.D is still recovering from New York? Maybe they'll set the events of Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: Winter Soldier to take place within the same week or so kinda like with Thor, Hulk and Iron Man 2 so the other Avengers have some reason for not stepping in.

Here's my disjointed thoughts:

I think it was a fantastic way to bring the Mandarin to the big screen without an enormous amount of racism. It was especially interesting given the amount of marketing being all "oh shit it's Mandarin" and then pulling the rug out.

It was really good that Tony was still all PTSD after having his whole worldview shattered after The Avengers, rather than him being immediately ok with the existence of viking gods and alien armies.

Tony having had the arc reactor removed and destroying his armours means nothing as far as his return for Avengers 2 is concerned- Rhodes is able to operate War Machine with an external power source, and given how many armours Tony had built already, I'm sure he could whip another one together if the situation called for it. If not, just add War Machine to the team instead of Iron Man.

Comic fan here.

I loved it! Honestly, the best thing these Marvel things can do is mix things up a bit, if I want to see the exact same things from the comics, I read them. I like the creativity they have been using in the films to a degree. The Mandarin thing was so well done in my opinion and must had taken a lot of guts to market the film the way they did and not even have him be the real villain.

Disappointed, far too many "armour to the groin" shots when Tony remoted the armor and the villian sucked, the worst Marvel film which has really killed my interest in the MCU will leave future Marvel film's to rental's from now on.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way they shoehorned in the Iron Patriot Suit. I don't know too much about Iron man, but I do know that that suit belonged to Norman Osborn aka. The Green Goblin. It would have been a cool way to maybe bring Spiderman into the Avengers. Unless I am missing something and War Machine was the original owner of that suit than I take it back, otherwise it just seems like a way to cash in on iconic imagery to build hype.

I think my friend is going to be pissed about the Mandarin Twist though, he seemed pretty hyped about that.

I really enjoyed it. I don't know much about IM comics (I've only read Extemes and Demon in a Bottle) so I don't know much about the Mandarin apart from that he's supposed to be a pretty cool baddie, but I was really enjoying Ben Kingsly's 'evil' Mandarin he was sinister and threatening and I would of loved to of seen what he was capable of. When he turned up as Trevor I was slightly disappointed but Ben Kingsly was so funny in the role it won me over, you could see he was having fun.

Everyone else done a great job too, RDJr really owns this role so when he does eventually step down (hopefully he'll at least do Avengers 2) whoever replace's him will have a tough job.

Dansen:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way they shoehorned in the Iron Patriot Suit. I don't know too much about Iron man, but I do know that that suit belonged to Norman Osborn aka. The Green Goblin. It would have been a cool way to maybe bring Spiderman into the Avengers. Unless I am missing something and War Machine was the original owner of that suit than I take it back, otherwise it just seems like a way to cash in on iconic imagery to build hype.

I think my friend is going to be pissed about the Mandarin Twist though, he seemed pretty hyped about that.

Spiderman, Fantastic 4 and X-men movie rights are owned by sony, meaning Disney cannot use them, it is a shame, however i have a theory.

Basically we all know that Chris Evans (Captain america) also played The Human Torch, well...obviously he cant play that role in the new F4 film, so, i think they are going to kill off the Human Torch somehow. I went to Florida, not to long ago and saw a comic, where the Human Torch had been killed off... Spiderman had replaced him (And they were weaing white suits). With a new Spidey film coming soon, i can kinda see this happening.

it would be quite awesome.

1) I loved the Mandarin twist, it was the point in the film that I started to really enjoy it because I genuinely had no idea where they were going and knew I'd be surprised. But yeah, I can see a lot of comic book fans being pissed at that.

2) 3000C (or 3000F for that matter) is seriously hot, having the ability to dump large quantities of heat into something very rapidly is a very different threat to being hit really hard or shot with plasma for a superhero in a metal suit. I think it made for a good and credible threat.

3) This is a really good point. If the antidote leaves you with the regrown limbs the extremis formula was designed to fix then you've got an effective two-stage treatment for missing body parts. Personally I'd prefer it if Pepper was left with permanent effects from this, it could be an interesting character development and explain why the treatment doesn't go global. Actually if future films made a thing of, "Hey, humans can regrow limbs now," then I'd be good with that too.

4) I liked it, it made me laugh, but I think we got the equivalent of the Shawarma stinger in the Avengers. I think US viewers are going to get a second stinger more plot relevant to an upcoming film. The two docs scene seemed too throwaway for Marvel's usual style of stinger.

arc1991:

Dansen:

Spiderman, Fantastic 4 and X-men movie rights are owned by sony, meaning Disney cannot use them, it is a shame, however i have a theory.

Basically we all know that Chris Evans (Captain america) also played The Human Torch, well...obviously he cant play that role in the new F4 film, so, i think they are going to kill off the Human Torch somehow. I went to Florida, not to long ago and saw a comic, where the Human Torch had been killed off... Spiderman had replaced him (And they were weaing white suits). With a new Spidey film coming soon, i can kinda see this happening.

it would be quite awesome.

Sony owns Spiderman and Ghost Rider, Fox owns Fantastic Four and X-men.

Johnny Novgorod:

Mutie:

I think that was Shane Black's fault (the writer/director). He loves his first person narration. He did the same thing with RDJ in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang some years before.

I thought that Iron Man 3 really reminded me of Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang as opposed to an Iron Man movie, but I liked Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, so it's all good.

As a side note I did like seeing Yinsen in the flashback, and I totally forgot to stick around for the post credit scene, I'll just have to look that one up online later.

We couldn't even get a little token message from Nick Fury saying that he can count on Tony to get to get the job done himself or how S.H.I.E.L.D is still recovering from New York? Maybe they'll set the events of Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: Winter Soldier to take place within the same week or so kinda like with Thor, Hulk and Iron Man 2 so the other Avengers have some reason for not stepping in.

That one is actually really easy to answer, the reason non of the other Avengers stepped in is because the incidents were no where big enough to warranty bringing in shield or the Avengers, everything that was happening was being dealt with by the regular authorities, yes you could say with little success but still it wasn't really a case of a guy wanting to rule the world it was, after all a guy who just wanted to make a vast amounts of cash buy being able to play both sides of the terroist vs the good guys with him sitting in the middle getting the big bucks, not really the sort of thing The Avengers would be needed for.

Tony Stark didn't get involved until one of his guys was injured, at that point he took on the case on a purely personnel level. Chances are if Happy hadn't been caught in that blast even Iron Man wouldn't have gotten involved. Although saying that Aldritch and his mutant making doctor friend did set things in motion outside of the blast that may have drawn Stark in in another way.

As for the movie, alright as a stand alone movie, not great after the brilliance of the Avengers and am I the only one asking if Iron Man is even going to be in the next Avengers? The somewhat speedy, and the last two minutes of the move tied up some pretty big fucking canon points with little or not addition, Tony managing to suddenly remove the shrapnel that through out the rest of the trilogy couldn't be removed, he found a way of doing it and all it got was literally a five second footnote in a wrap up scene... REALLY?

The big fight scene at the end, you know that scene in The Avengers where it starts with Ironman and then follows each character through as they battle the bad guys, seamlessly switching between them and then ending with the Hulk punching Thor, 40 odd Ironman suits and somehow they couldn't pull off a battle that incorporated something like that? shameful.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked