Do you have any prejudices?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I know you do.
I personally don't like any person that fits into a stereo type perfectly. Such as an overly loud black person, extremely smart asians etc.
I also cannot stand people who exclusively eat organic foods for non-medical purposes, and over protective parents, as well as parents who don't watch their kids. Also I honestly don't like gay people. Now I have met people in each of these categories that I like, I just tend to not like the majority of them. I am going to explain myself, mainly focusing on gays, because I realize that on this forum the majority of you are pro-gay. I have met many people who are gay that I like quite a bit. I simply don't like the fact that they are gay. I am not religious, and cannot think of anyway to justify or describe my prejudice other than they make me uncomfortable.
Now I'm asking you, do you have any prejudices, and if so, what are they?
Thank you for your time.

.....this thread is going to end well, isn't it?

I don't think I'm prejudice against anyone. You want to be gay, go for it. You want to be a stereotype, go for it. You want to hump a goat, go for it. What the heck do I care? For whatever reason, I don't really hate anyone and I tend to get along (or at least am cordial) with everyone. If I find myself thinking some not-so-nice thoughts about people, I internally chastise myself for doing it. If I'm going to not like someone, it's going to be because of them, not because they share the same race/sex/nationality/love as someone else.

Can't we all just get along?

Of course I have prejudices. I'm only human. I have prejudice against people a decade or more younger than myself, I don't trust them with their own shadow and no offense to whatever escapist happens to be that age...it's an irrational thing.

I have prejudice against people who choose faith in lieu of reason. Sure, I respect their decision, I will not go and insult them or anything, but at some subconscious level, I am still thinking "Those poor fools".

Well, and I'm sure there's more, but I'm treading on thin ice here.

I try not to be. If I notice I start thinking along those lines I quickly put a stop to it. I used to think the only people worth being prejudiced against were those who choose ignorance over truth, but now I do my best to understand them and only try to help them understand as well. You can't battle ignorance with more ignorance, and you can't battle prejudice with more prejudice. This isn't some hippie bullcrap either; you can't beat hate and intolerance with love and tolerance. That's just foolish. Love your enemy, yes, but you have to make a stand armed with truth.

I know I just used "hippies" as a pejorative, but I don't dislike hippies. Love and tolerance are good things, but they aren't the answer to all the world's problems.

Arachnophobes! Vile and thoughtless swine who don't appreciate some of Mother Nature's finest creations!!!

Just look at these wonderful darlings!!!

Seriously, what's wrong with Arachnophobes? Spiders are just TOO CUTE!!![1]

[1] This reverse psychologically based joke paid for by Spiders R Scary Evil Lobbying Group Inc.

Vegosiux:
Of course I have prejudices. I'm only human.

Speak for yourself:

OT: I don't really have a lot of time for whiny teenager type posts. If you're posting something about "how nobody cares about anything anymore", or "we're turning into a police state man", or hell if you use the term sheeple unironically, I'm just going to laugh at your post.

Other than that though, there's not really too much I'm against

I'm prejudiced against immigrants who come to a country and then refuse to adopt any of that country's culture and values.

It annoys me seeing people who have lived in a place for 10 years, but still don't speak a word of the native language, or when people move to another country and only live and associate with people in a small community of immigrants from the same country as them. It completely defeats the purpose of moving to another country, and I feel like if they want to keep the values of their culture without adopting any of the values of their new homeland then they should have just stayed in their own country to begin with.

And just for the record before anyone jumps all over me and calls me "anti-immigrant," I myself am an immigrant.

I'm prejudiced against people who watch MLP. I can't think of them as anything but trolls when they explain to me the wonders of Equestria, try as they might (and a few have tried).

I hate stupid people. My advice? Don't fall into the category and we'll be FINE.

I mistrust Tottenham supporters. I don't hate them, I won't treat them any differently, but they'll be picked last for kickball.

Evangelical Christians. I don't care if you have faith, just keep it to yourself. I don't want to hear about it, and if you try to share your bloody book with me it will go into my grill and be used to light up the charcoal for steaks.

Anyone who says 'brontosaurus'. There is no such dinosaur. Stop saying it.

People with pet scorpions/snakes/spiders. I'm not getting attached to you. My brain has already filed you under 'dead', your pet just hasn't gotten around to finishing the job yet.

I'm prejudice against things I don't agree with.

Teenagers for instance. I don't agree with them being younger than me.

A prejudice isn't necessarily a dislike, people. For instance, I always take for granted that senior citizens aren't metal fans. That doesn't make me dislike them, but it is a prejudice.

Of course I have prejudices, everyone does, but the question is whether I can identify and admit to them. I'm not going to suddenly have an epiphany either because a prejudice is most likely going to be something subconscious, a belief I was brought up with and thus thought to be normal. This is why when someone is, say prejudiced against homosexuals I'm compelled to disagree because I wasn't raised up with this particular prejudice.

tippy2k2:
.....this thread is going to end well, isn't it?

Why shouldn't it? This is a topic that could only attract the most reasonable and articulate members of the community.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a one man war to wage on the Dutch with my arsenal of whoopee cushions, laxative brownies, assorted rotten eggs, and a crate of 53 rabid honey badgers.

I have a gajillion prejudices, but since I'm aware of all of them (I hope) I know I'm being stupid and try not to act on them. Sometimes I fail and I feel bad afterwards =(

Occasionally of course one rotten apple confirms my prejudices, but I'm smart enough to realise one rotten apple doesn't mean the whole barrel is spoiled, or rather that I should make sure I don't perceive it as spoiled because of said apple.

I don't know if that made any sense. I'll just be going now...

I don't like Turkish people, all the ones I've met were smelly and rude, I'm sure that Turkey is a lovely place with lovely people who enjoy baths very much, but the ones I've met I do not like.

... I own Section 8: Prejudice. Does that count?

In all seriousness, anyone who uses the terms "swag" and "yolo" seriously and not as a joke or something should be shot. On sight. With a big gun. A big incendiary gun.

I admit I do hold prejudices against those who move into a new country but do nothing to try to learn the language over there (my parent had pretty much become translators for some of their friends when it come to english phonecalling or writing a letters). Sure I can understand that learning a whole new languague is hard (I did used to have Welsh, German and French class) but you would think you would try alot harder to learn it especially when you're going to lived there. Oh before you asked, no I don't act aggressive or annoyed toward them, I just keep it to myself.

Dirty Hipsters:
I'm prejudiced against immigrants who come to a country and then refuse to adopt any of that country's culture and values.

It annoys me seeing people who have lived in a place for 10 years, but still don't speak a word of the native language, or when people move to another country and only live and associate with people in a small community of immigrants from the same country as them. It completely defeats the purpose of moving to another country, and I feel like if they want to keep the values of their culture without adopting any of the values of their new homeland then they should have just stayed in their own country to begin with.

And just for the record before anyone jumps all over me and calls me "anti-immigrant," I myself am an immigrant.

This.

I don't mind immigrants coming over here legally provided they are here to work, pay taxes and hate the government like a good little citizen. But I dislike that all over the country we are getting little pocket communities of all kinds that are excluding anything british. I kind of understand that places like Chinatown popped up because at the time the Chinese were immigrating there was a lot more racial unacceptance on our part and they stuck together. But that was decades ago. And it isn't as if we demand everyone check in their burkha at the border and start wearing a bowler hat, it's okay to keep your culture just try to at least eat a yorkshire pudding once in a while.

And the same goes for British ex-pats who move abroad and open a greasy spoon on the Costa Del Sol, don't speak a word of Spanish and hate anyone and anything 'forrin'. If you have no intention of integrating in to the society you are moving in to, please rethink it and look like less of a pillock.

Also Chavs. Fuck those guys.

Captcha: meddling kids. I know right? We would have gotten away with it! *shakes fist*

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
I'm prejudice against that stuck-up upper-class snob that refuses to dance at our partys.

How does not enjoying dancing make somebody stuck-up, upper-class, or a snob?

I don't like people who feel the need to mention themselves as belonging to a particular group as a form of identification.

I don't like feminists, homosexuals, Christians, mothers, military personal, Bronies, gamers, atheists, democrats or republicans. I don't like people who identify themselves in such manners, not because of what they follow, but because of their need to make that aspect about themselves so prevalent in their interactions with others. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder all the damn time.

I guess I got prejustices against religious people. They cant all be idiots, but the prominent ones certainly are.
I also dont like transvestites, dragqueens and the like for personal reasons.

If you're a metalhead, you're gonna have to work damn hard to convince me your music tastes aren't absolutely awful. Same goes for anyone who dislikes electronic drum beats.

Other than that... nope, can't think of any.

Copper Zen:
Arachnophobes! Vile and thoughtless swine who don't appreciate some of Mother Nature's finest creations!!!

Seriously, what's wrong with Arachnophobes? Spiders are just TOO CUTE!!![1]

*Screams like a five year old girl* OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD WHY!!!! JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST I NEED A FLAMETHROWER!!

[1] This reverse psychologically based joke paid for by Spiders R Scary Evil Lobbying Group Inc.

As one forum user said: the real problem is being stupid. I significantly dislike stupid people.

not sure if this will end well, but this is kind of answering the OP question, and its not like im going to attack somone for being in the list or anything, but i dislike, and often joke about that, Polish and russian people. very much due to both past and present experience with them. for example a russian is living in my country for 30 years, goes to a shopping center and starts speaking russian with the workers. them bein young do not understand the language, and tell so in lithuanian. the russna gets mad and starts shouting how dare they not speak russian to them and how scum they are for not knowing russian, because they came to our country and therefore we must all speak their language.
Do i even need to explain polish? They think that half of our country is their province that we "Stole" and that we are just peasants of the polish kingdom, even though during middle ages they were the ones to join us. Not all of them are like that, but msot of the locals are. and of course there is the internet behaviuos, which i guess i dont need to explain. situations like "if you are not polish im going to kill you".
Then there is the folk that like to watch Retards Attempt Poetry (RAP).... but lets not get there....
and there are tons more, which would likely get me banned real fast if i acted on them.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
I'm prejudice against that stuck-up upper-class snob that refuses to dance at our partys.

oh, well, hello there. I guess im prejudice agasint you then.

Abomination:
I don't like feminists, homosexuals, Christians, mothers, military personal, Bronies, gamers, atheists, democrats or republicans. I don't like people who identify themselves in such manners, not because of what they follow, but because of their need to make that aspect about themselves so prevalent in their interactions with others. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder all the damn time.

What i noticed is that they usually mention this not because they want to go around how chistian or how atheist they are, but rather as some information to go with the picture so if, say, they are atheists, you wouldnt go around telling them how bible does not allow this or that. kind of avoiding unnecessary need of explanations later on. and also as a way to quickly notice and if needed avoid different veiwpoints. whime im in no way saying a christian adn atheist cant get along - i know i do - but there are some people who simply wont talk to them. and ive seen cases where people were chatting for hours, then one of them goes "oh every sunday i go to church" and the other one just stood up and left. they are kind of an easy way to convey your beliefs quickly. you know, labels are not because people want to be pride of something, they are a way of convienience.
of course not everyone follows that logic. in the case where a person woudl go around "im an atheist therefore you all suck" i agree with you.

Capcha: rodents of unusual size.
YES WE ARE.

TopazFusion:
Which leads me nicely to my on-topic, ... haters.
I can't stand haters, who often put more effort into hating a particular thing, than the actual fans put into liking the fucking thing.

So you are prejudice against yourself? you hate the haters much more than they ever love to hate.

OhJohnNo:
If you're a metalhead, you're gonna have to work damn hard to convince me your music tastes aren't absolutely awful. Same goes for anyone who dislikes electronic drum beats.

Other than that... nope, can't think of any.

No, its actually YOU are the one who is going to work real hard to convince me your music taste exists.

THE FOLLOWING ARE OPINIONS NOT FACTS PLEASE DON'T BAN ME.

I don't like smokers or people that do drugs. It's just beyond stupid to me. It's really fun to argue with a pothead though. "The reason weed is illegal is because the government can't tax it! #420forlife"

Bronies are a big one. It just seems a little too paedophilic to watch a cartoon aimed at 5 year old girls. And the whole "I watch MLP look at what a special star I am!!! Please give me attention!" vibe that a lot of the heavy ones tend to give off pisses me off.

I loathe anybody that identifies as a "feminist". If you only look for sexist stuff then you'll obviously find it. Stop complaining.

I immediately invalidate anyone's opinion on anything if they think that Dark Souls is a good game.

If somebody listens to dubstep or the kind of hardcore rock where it's just people screaming over a crappy riff then I tend to not talk to them often.

I don't like people that dismiss the rap genre as a whole. If you've only heard shit by people like Lil Wayne and 2Chainz then it's obviously gonna be crap. Hear stuff by Lupe Fiasco, Nas or Pac to see what the genre can offer.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:

I will never dance even if my life was at stake. Doesn't mean I'm stuck up or anything, just crappy at dancing:)

Man, this is kinda therapeutic...

I like to think I don't have any that haven't arisen through experience, but yes, I judge people based on appearance and behaviour all the time, in particular religious people, old people, Lebanese teenagers, Chinese people, really any insular cultural community. I used to actually not be comfortable with homosexuality and in denial of it, but I've gone from an "I'd rather not be around them and I'd rather characters in fiction not be homosexual but I suppose I have to admit it's ok" to genuinely not caring either way. And since it seems relevant, I've never had a problem with bronies. I don't have any friends who are bronies and I don't care for MLP myself, but when I see how many constructive members of the internet simply happen to be bronies I can't see it as a bad thing.

FFP2:

I immediately invalidate anyone's opinion on anything if they think that Dark Souls is a good game.

Being a Dark Souls fanatic, does that mean you also invalidate my opinion of Dark Souls, and thus throw into question the invalidity of my other opinions?

And more importantly, you should be more careful in future if you wish to blaspheme against our Lord and Saviour Jim.

Call me a bigot, but more than anything I'm prejudiced against people who are prejudiced against other people for no good reason. There are a few examples of such in this very thread though I care not to list them.

I hate people who say that they don't like labels. To even say this is fucking stupid. That's like saying "I don't like communicating with words, I think we should all just use an elaborate system of blinks".

If a label doesn't apply to you or at least it doesn't apply to you accurately enough then you make the label more specific until it fucking does. Using a meaty example that's prevalent all over these forums at the moment I'll look at the feminist label (This and the examples following it are not my personal stances, merely examples, putting this out there to stop whiners ahead of time), does this label apply to you? Partially, but not strongly enough? let us add to it. A Radical Feminist. Still not accurate enough? A Radical 2nd Wave Feminist. You continue to add and to add to the label, making it more and more reflective of what it represents. To swear off labels entirely rather than actually using them properly makes you look like a dumbshit.

If you tell me that you don't like labels I will immediately stop listening to you because you've proven that you're too daft to grasp the concept of "LANGUAGE".

Copper Zen:

Seriously, what's wrong with Arachnophobes? Spiders are just TOO CUTE!!!

"Oh hey, I wonder what's in this totally not evil spoiler b-OH CHRIST! WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?

I thought Mods were supposed to be less horrible than normal posters T_T

OT: Ehhhhhhh not really. If I do jump to a random prejudice I catch myself and stop. So i'm prejudiced about not being prejudiced ever I guess. Legit.

Actually fuck that noise, if I see another person on this site start to worship Jim Sterling... His entire set up annoys me. Super loud voice or no reason and and even louder suit. I don't WANT to agree with his points even if I do agree with him. I find him that irritating :/

FFP2:

If someone's about to invalidate my opinion on anything for my choice of entertainment then they can also consider any of their opinions on anything invalidated themselves.

Not that it matters, there are enough opinions to go around.

I don't like people who participate in incest or make unnecessary forum threads. Not much else to say really.

I'm prejudiced against people who try to mearge onto a freeway doing 45 when the cars on the freeway are doing 60+. Then to add to it they slam on the brakes when shockingly enough(only to them though) they cannot pull into traffic.

Yeah...most of them I'm probably not aware of, though, it'd seem like a perfectly rational response.

I'm prejudiced against people who get tattoos. I can't stand them and have met very few who make for good company. Mostly it's just pretentious types who think getting a hairy crack-addict to drag a needle across your skin somehow substitutes for having a personality.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked