Do you have any prejudices?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yeah...most of them I'm probably not aware of, though, it'd seem like a perfectly rational response.

I'm prejudiced against people who get tattoos. I can't stand them and have met very few who make for good company. Mostly it's just pretentious types who think getting a hairy crack-addict to drag a needle across your skin somehow substitutes for having a personality.

Okay so things have been listed already that I wont go into great detail because of that. I don't like immigrants who don't adapt and learn the culture of the country they come to. (As someone who is going to be leaving my own country in a few years, and will be learning as much as I can, especially the language of the country I move to, this highly irritates me.)

Christians, growing up as a bisexaul athiest in a very christian home does that.

People who drive RICErs. Seriously. Stop fucking destroying cars you tards. (I was going to cuss them out, but I've gotten warnings on that subject before and don't wanna get banned..)

People with abnormally high voices. Like the preppy cheer leader kinda girls.

I have more but its way to early/late, i need to go to bed now.

Kingjackl:
I'm prejudiced against people who get tattoos. I can't stand them and have met very few who make for good company. Mostly it's just pretentious types who think getting a hairy crack-addict to drag a needle across your skin somehow substitutes for having a personality.

A lot of my close friends have tattoos, I will be getting some as well. Now i recognize the sterotype, but some of us are good people! Smart to! <3

MeChaNiZ3D:

Being a Dark Souls fanatic, does that mean you also invalidate my opinion of Dark Souls, and thus throw into question the invalidity of my other opinions?

And more importantly, you should be more careful in future if you wish to blaspheme against our Lord and Saviour Jim.

I like DS... The fanbase just ruined that game for me.

And when did I say anything about Jimbo?

Pink Gregory:

If someone's about to invalidate my opinion on anything for my choice of entertainment then they can also consider any of their opinions on anything invalidated themselves.

Not that it matters, there are enough opinions to go around.

I know I'm being petty regarding stuff like that. I just can't help it. Sorry if I offended you:)

I can't stand most people when it comes to the Military.

It was ANZAC day here in Aus 2 days ago. Now on this day, everyone and their mother praises the ADF and what they have done. Any other day of the week? No one gives a fuck. It becomes even more apparent when there is a death overseas and everyone is turned into a fucking hippy. "Bring our troops home! Stop letting them die!"

Now, if this was Vietnam and it were a draftee, I'd agree with you. The ADF today is 100% voluntary though. They agreed to sign up, they knew the risks of being deployed overseas and they knew the risk of death was a possibility.

Also, anti police and military cunts. Fuck you guys. You're nothing but fucking armchair generals or politicians.

FFP2:

MeChaNiZ3D:

snip

I'm pretty sure he thinks Dark Souls is a good game is all...although actually I don't think he's said it directly. Guess no wrath from above shall be visited upon you after all. ^^

I'm not sure what parts of the fanbase you mean though. There's the part who think they're better than other people, and the part who invade Undead Burg with Ascended pyromancy at SL1 that come to mind.

FFP2:

MeChaNiZ3D:

Being a Dark Souls fanatic, does that mean you also invalidate my opinion of Dark Souls, and thus throw into question the invalidity of my other opinions?

And more importantly, you should be more careful in future if you wish to blaspheme against our Lord and Saviour Jim.

Pink Gregory:

If someone's about to invalidate my opinion on anything for my choice of entertainment then they can also consider any of their opinions on anything invalidated themselves.

Not that it matters, there are enough opinions to go around.

I know I'm being petty regarding stuff like that. I just can't help it. Sorry if I offended you:)

You did a bit, I won't lie, but I haven't exactly been off on any public 'OH NOEZ CASUALS R RUINING GAMEING!!!!!1!' easy mode rants; I like Dark Souls, I don't need to participate in an online dick-measuring contest declaring it to be BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE because I don't consider that to be important. or worthwhile. Thus I'm not a Dark Souls 'FAN', I'm a Dark Souls fan. If that made any sense. I can see why experiencing the former could sour you to the experience, but believing that all people who enjoyed Dark Souls are the former just ain't kosher.

The only solution is to NEVER READ ANYTHING EVER! when it comes to things you're enjoying.

That's why I try to stay out of Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored threads ;)

I have a prejudice of "these aren't going to be nice people" whenever I meet anyone who's friends with my weed-smoking pals. I also will assume straight away that they're going to talk about weed more than anything else ever, until the only identity I can give them is "guy/girl that smokes weed". The same thing usually applies to gays, but I'm glad I've been wrong with that prejudice a couple of times.

Oh, and a 12 year old on Xbox Live will 100% definitely be a whiny, abusive dipshit.

zama174:
Okay so things have been listed already that I wont go into great detail because of that. I don't like immigrants who don't adapt and learn the culture of the country they come to. (As someone who is going to be leaving my own country in a few years, and will be learning as much as I can, especially the language of the country I move to, this highly irritates me.)

How did I forget this one? When I'm at uni, too often I see people of various race spending a good couple of minutes trying to tell the staff at Subway what it is they want, because their grasp of the English language is so limited. I keep wondering whether they're actually doing okay though on their courses.

The English!

FREEDOM!

Actually I have nothing against the English, besides the fact that trying to find a decent Irn Bru is like searching for the Lost City of Atlantis.

Anyway, I'm sure I probably have lots of little prejudices but none particularly spring to mind, and I don't think I've ever been majorly affected by them at any stage.

I'm prejudiced against IGN reviewers simply because they have the credibility of a two year old when it comes to gaming criticism. Rating Black Ops II over the original Quake is a proof of that.

Dirty Hipsters:
I'm prejudiced against immigrants who come to a country and then refuse to adopt any of that country's culture and values.

It annoys me seeing people who have lived in a place for 10 years, but still don't speak a word of the native language, or when people move to another country and only live and associate with people in a small community of immigrants from the same country as them. It completely defeats the purpose of moving to another country, and I feel like if they want to keep the values of their culture without adopting any of the values of their new homeland then they should have just stayed in their own country to begin with.

And just for the record before anyone jumps all over me and calls me "anti-immigrant," I myself am an immigrant.

America was founded on these principles. Why do you hate America?

Pink Gregory:

You did a bit, I won't lie, but I haven't exactly been off on any public 'OH NOEZ CASUALS R RUINING GAMEING!!!!!1!' easy mode rants; I like Dark Souls, I don't need to participate in an online dick-measuring contest declaring it to be BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE because I don't consider that to be important. or worthwhile. Thus I'm not a Dark Souls 'FAN', I'm a Dark Souls fan. If that made any sense. I can see why experiencing the former could sour you to the experience, but believing that all people who enjoyed Dark Souls are the former just ain't kosher.

The only solution is to NEVER READ ANYTHING EVER! when it comes to things you're enjoying.

That's why I try to stay out of Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored threads ;)

I wasn't being a bit petty:-P

Yeah I don't mind people that are FANS of DS, I mind people that are FANBOYS of DS. It's why I never go online with DS.

MeChaNiZ3D:

I'm pretty sure he thinks Dark Souls is a good game is all...although actually I don't think he's said it directly. Guess no wrath from above shall be visited upon you after all. ^^

I'm not sure what parts of the fanbase you mean though. There's the part who think they're better than other people, and the part who invade Undead Burg with Ascended pyromancy at SL1 that come to mind.

Well I don't agree with Jim on a lot of things:)

Yeah I was referring to that part of the fanbase. The ones that mock people for not knowing absolutely everything on their first playthrough. The ones that gave me shit for not knowing that a dragon would come out of nowhere and instakill me if I didn't react in 1/10000000 of a second.

I don't like elitists in any games TBH.

Drivers. Collectively, I've spent about three years in New England and the Virginia/Maryland area. If you look up the ten worst drivers by city, you'll find a lot of them are in those areas. Simply put, I would rather contend with places like Chicago and Florida than contend with the drivers I've been around for the last three years, and those places have a bad enough reputation as it is. As you can imagine, I really don't trust anyone on the road, and drives are very stressful, usually causing me to spend a considerable amount of time yelling obscenities at all the horrible drivers I keep running into.

Ive grown to dislike that certain group of black people that think the world revolves around them. I'm of course talking about sagging pants, loud as hell, stupid gold teeth, refuse to speak halfway decent English. The kind who buy an auction police car and immediately slap huge rims on it and think it's some kind of status symbol. No, you're just a moron. Sorry, I just needed to rant. Most black people aren't like this but the ones who are stand out.

FFP2:

If somebody listens to dubstep or the kind of hardcore rock where it's just people screaming over a crappy riff then I tend to not talk to them often.

I don't like people that dismiss the rap genre as a whole. If you've only heard shit by people like Lil Wayne and 2Chainz then it's obviously gonna be crap. Hear stuff by Lupe Fiasco, Nas or Pac to see what the genre can offer.

These two seem to contradict themselves on a base level.

OT: Members of the Bloods. Because seriously, fuck those guys. Except Jim Jones. He's okay.

Stupid question. Anyone who says "no" is a liar or an idiot.

Shadowstar38:

FFP2:

If somebody listens to dubstep or the kind of hardcore rock where it's just people screaming over a crappy riff then I tend to not talk to them often.

I don't like people that dismiss the rap genre as a whole. If you've only heard shit by people like Lil Wayne and 2Chainz then it's obviously gonna be crap. Hear stuff by Lupe Fiasco, Nas or Pac to see what the genre can offer.

These two seem to contradict themselves on a base level.

OT: Members of the Bloods. Because seriously, fuck those guys. Except Jim Jones. He's okay.

Like the street gang?

OT: I have a prejudice against Police for personal reasons and against middle class suburban people. I think the former are all a bunch of corrupt, sadistic, corrupt (needs repeating) bastards and the latter are nothing but spoiled, ignorant druggie brats (for the teens) and unrealistic, over-sheltered fools for the adults.

I however am trying my hardest to move past those prejudices and become a less hateful and more rational person.

It is quite hard.

Beffudled Sheep:
Like the street gang?

Yes. The gang. What else would I be talking about? o.o

I am not used to black people.
I dont have a particular prejudice against them but I do notice that I find I am not sure what to expect of them.

Shadowstar38:

Beffudled Sheep:
Like the street gang?

Yes. The gang. What else would I be talking about? o.o

A brand of sneaker manufacturers based out of Shanghai? (I just pulled that outta my ass :p)

And hey man watch who you talk crap about! Most of my now mostly incarcerated childhood friends who I no longer associate with are Bloods!
Better than the Crips or those mexican gangs...

Well, I'm trying to redefine the word "cunt" to refer to any and all members of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Does that cunt? Er... count?

Since I'm only human, I'm prejudiced against the following: racists, extreme feminists, annyoing hipsters, extreme vegans/vegetarians, crazy fans (of anything from boy bands to sports, and yes, that includes the pushy Bronies who ruin it for the rest of us), TV executives, politicians, religious fanatics, gun nutters, and rich snobs.

EDIT: I keep finding myself adding more to this, seeing as I keep finding things that annoy me. Especially the pushy Bronies.

Yeah...

I'm a racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic bigot.

What? I'm a conservative! Isn't that normal?!

More serious, though. There are things that people do that I disagree with, like drugs and smoking. Also, as stated earlier in the thread, people who move to another country and refuse to adopt the country's customs (language. That's the big thing for me).

I don't hate anyone because of their choices. They can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. But I can disagree. Whether that's prejudice or not, I'll let others decide.

Baron_BJ:
I hate people who say that they don't like labels. To even say this is fucking stupid. That's like saying "I don't like communicating with words, I think we should all just use an elaborate system of blinks".

If a label doesn't apply to you or at least it doesn't apply to you accurately enough then you make the label more specific until it fucking does. Using a meaty example that's prevalent all over these forums at the moment I'll look at the feminist label (This and the examples following it are not my personal stances, merely examples, putting this out there to stop whiners ahead of time), does this label apply to you? Partially, but not strongly enough? let us add to it. A Radical Feminist. Still not accurate enough? A Radical 2nd Wave Feminist. You continue to add and to add to the label, making it more and more reflective of what it represents. To swear off labels entirely rather than actually using them properly makes you look like a dumbshit.

If you tell me that you don't like labels I will immediately stop listening to you because you've proven that you're too daft to grasp the concept of "LANGUAGE".

I've gotta agree with this. I'm sure people would love to live in the magical world where you can just go by the one label 'me', but unluckily for you, there are 7Billion 'Mes' and it doesn't really help narrow it down.

Labels (and to a lesser extent stereotype) are a useful tool to help us tailor our behaviour to people we don't have much information on yet, and provided you treat them like a rough guide and not scripture, you'll do fine.

Of course. I am, after all, at least partially human. Most of mine are centered around racial stereotypes. But, I also dislike a lot of social and cultural stereotypes as well.

Andy Shandy:
Actually I have nothing against the English, besides the fact that trying to find a decent Irn Bru is like searching for the Lost City of Atlantis.

You mean there are non decent Irn Brus?

OT: I am prejudiced against everyone and everything that isn't me.

I'm prejudiced against people who don't like Jai Paul or the Avalanches.

ADMIT IIIIIIIIIT! YOU LOOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEMMMMMMM!

TopazFusion:

Johnny Novgorod:
I'm prejudiced against people who watch MLP. I can't think of them as anything but trolls when they explain to me the wonders of Equestria, try as they might (and a few have tried).

Johnny Novgorod, from another thread:
The ponies from MLP. Punch them long and punch them hard. Punch them until their equine molars are flying in bloody arcs through the air while the brony community watches in silence. In the distance, someone snivels.

You know, for someone who presumably hates MLP with every fiber of their being, you sure bring it up a lot, in threads completely unrelated to it too.

Which leads me nicely to my on-topic, ... haters.
I can't stand haters, who often put more effort into hating a particular thing, than the actual fans put into liking the fucking thing.

How are topics about prejudice and cartoon characters unrelated to my prejudices and cartoon characters?

Destiny, I hate the concept thoroughly and complacently. Communism and all forms of Collectivist thought, It's harmful to our progression as a whole and makes all poor instead of Capitalism which is about trying to climb up the social ladder. And I don't think dark skinned women are sexy at all, nothing against them as people but them as objects of desire it just looses me.

FFP2:

I loathe anybody that identifies as a "feminist". If you only look for sexist stuff then you'll obviously find it. Stop complaining.

That is not a feminist. A feminist doesn't look for sexist things, they want equality for women and in my case, I want equality between the sexes. (longer paternity leave for men, more rights when it comes to children for men, etc.) I probably lean more towards equalist, but I do define myself as a feminist.
Please don't lump us all together, there are those kind of men hating feminists that strive to make men feel bad but they just give us a bad name. If something is blatantly sexist, we will fight against it but only the nutjobs will comb through absolutely everything to say something is sexist when it isn't.
It isn't about dragging men down and making them feel bad, it's about us fighting(?) to be equal.

OT: I have this silly one with teenagers. I feel really nervous when a group of them walk by me because I always expect them to say something or pick a fight. Girls make me feel worse because they can be so bitchy it's unbelievable! It's silly because a group of kids haven't said anything to me in years. Maybe once or twice they'll say something when they're behind me but most of them just ignore me. I used to get it all the time when I was their age so now groups of them make me really nervous. Might take a few years, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I have prejudices against the religious, the loud, and those that use Macs instead of PCs. They just... they just remove basic functionality, and then charge twice as bloody much! The people I know who use them have bought them for all the wrong reasons (such as the fella who said he wanted it for its artistic benefits over the PC, and then never uses it for such).

I'm not counting my dislike of the bigoted as a prejudice, because that's not pre-judgement. It's judgement on the basis of their actions, words and morals. Doesn't seem to fit the bill to me.

Sure I do.

The thing about a prejudice is it can affect your behaviour without you even really being aware of it's existence.
Every time I subtly assume something about a person because of the way they dress, the colour of their skin, or something they've said (or any of a number of other factors too numerous to list), that's a prejudice of some kind, whether I'm specifically aware of it or not.

Still, the most amusing, if only for the irony of it, is that I have a fairly strong prejudice against people that are prejudiced.
(Well, I usually say I'm intolerant of people that are intolerant.)

For one thing the statement itself is an exaggeration of how I actually feel, but the more obvious point is that if you take it at face value it seems kind of hypocritical.

And while it actually is is hypocritical on several levels, (aside from anything else, I certainly don't just tolerate anything), it does make some degree of sense. If you don't like prejudice and intolerance, it's rather counter-productive to tolerate it in others.
Sure, not accepting it in others makes you prejudiced yourself, ironically, but you can't reduce the consequences of something if you just accept people doing it because to do otherwise would somehow be hypocritical.

... See how much of a headache that becomes? XD

But in all seriousness, I know I am prejudiced in several ways because of how I react to certain kinds of things.

To give you a concrete example, I was out at about 10 in the evening, and wanted to get some stuff from a small supermarket. However, there were two black men hanging around outside wearing hoodies. And it made me pretty nervous.
In England, there's an image of youths wearing hoodies as being troublemakers and thugs, and I was alone late at night.
Now, I don't usually think of myself as racist either, but when looking at it later it did give me pause to wonder if this had any influence on how I felt.

Now, there's at least 3 potential prejudices at work in this case, but I certainly wasn't thinking about them explicitly at the time. It's only after the fact when I stopped to think about why I felt so nervous with them being there...
-The first is a group of youths in hooded tops hanging around a shopfront late at night... That's a major thing in a lot of places, but in England in particular there's an association with that potentially being a group of troublemakers.
-The second point being that since I was a woman out alone in the evening, a group of men hanging around can seem like a threat just for being men...
- Finally, we have the one that's perhaps the most painful to admit. (It's not inherently any worse than the other prejudices involved in the example, it's just because of the history behind it, people are a lot more sensitive about it.) - which is that they were black. - Now, given the other factors, I'm not sure how much influence it actually had on me feeling nervous about them being there, but it's one of those things that makes you wonder... Because they were black, and I was nervous about their presence, was that in any way reflective of any deeply engrained prejudices I'm only vaguely aware of, or was it perhaps just an unfortunate coincidence to go with the other things about them that were already causing me to worry?

Regardless of the specifics though, all 3 factors are examples of ingrained prejudice. I was getting nervous based on little more than a superficial judgement of what these people looked like, and what they were doing. (Which wasn't much; just standing around).

Now, unfortunately, even if my fears were justified (which they weren't), the way I made that decision is nonetheless an example of prejudice; I assumed something negative about some people I'd never met, based on a very superficial judgement.

But in the end I guess it just goes to show how difficult it is to avoid prejudice completely.
(Which shouldn't be a huge surprise when you think about it... I mean, 'Discrimination' is a term that comes from the ability to 'discriminate', which, when taken in it's most neutral context actually means to be able to tell things apart - If a person truly lacked the ability to discriminate, then they'd pretty much be incapable of basic thought. - To be able to tell the difference between a tree and a car is discrimination. - That's obviously not what people are thinking of when they use that word, but part of the problem is a direct consequence of this otherwise vital ability to be able to tell things apart.)

I'm not counting my dislike of the bigoted as a prejudice, because that's not pre-judgement. It's judgement on the basis of their actions, words and morals. Doesn't seem to fit the bill to me.
^Bingo

The only pre-judice I can justify is my dislike of people who try to justify their obesity as something they can not change. If you're fat because you want to bef at, or at least know its a bad thing bully for you. But trying to say that you were born fat, or couldn't lose weight is no, no, no.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here