Another crazy american attacks shoppers

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/conceal-and-carry-stabbing-salt-lake-city-smiths/NDNrL1gxeE2rsRhrWCM9dQ.cspx

I've been saying it for years, we need to ban those knives- It's a good thing that the other potential victims were able to rely on an armed police officer being right there... oh wait.

and your point being?

if he had of walked into a store purchased a gun and started shooting those two people who are currently in hospital recovering from injuries would probably be dead along with a few others.

no one says knives arent dangerous, but you arent going to rack up the same sort of death toll with a knife in the same time period

It always amuses me when playas try n' liken knives ta guns.

Yes, there be stabbings n' mass stabbings, go n' peep tha mortalitizzle rates between tha two different typez of incident n' peep if yo' argument still holdz up...

Seriously, tha pro-gun folk is graspin at straws now, nahmeean?

Has anyone seen my eyes? They appeared to have rolled right out of my head.

America has issues. Lots and lots of issues. And the vast majority of them seem to come from a political climate that emphasises "fuck everyone else as long as I'm okay". Gun control, health care, education, pretty much everything that works to make all of society safer and better gets opposed by people who would be perfectly happy to let the world burn as long as they had a moat to keep the fire out.

Events like this suck. They shouldn't happen. Not with guns, not with knives, not with cars. But only one of those items has literally no other purpose but to kill people.

Yup, everyone continue to ignore that many more would've been injured or killed if a citizen there hadn't been armed with a concealed handgun. Point is, cops aren't always right there ready to help, and crazy will always be crazy, whether they have access to guns, knives, or pressure cookers, they'll find a way to kill if that's what they want to do. I'd rather have the ability to defend against it legally on equal footing- while addressing problems that are creating so many crazy assholes who want to kill.

wombat_of_war:
and your point being?

if he had of walked into a store purchased a gun and started shooting those two people who are currently in hospital recovering from injuries would probably be dead along with a few others.

no one says knives arent dangerous, but you arent going to rack up the same sort of death toll with a knife in the same time period

First of all, you can't just "walk into a store and purchase a gun" that's not how it works.

Second of all, if we're going to go with dumb hypothetical about "well what would have happened if" then what if the guy had a gun and everyone else had knives there would have been a lot more dead people. That's what happens when the law bans people from carrying a firearm, the criminals don't care and law abiding citizens lose a means to defend themselves.

tangoprime:
I'd rather have the ability to defend against it legally on equal footing

Equal footing? So, knife against knife? Alright.

Dirty Hipsters:

Second of all, if we're going to go with dumb hypothetical about "well what would have happened if" then what if the guy had a gun and everyone else had knives there would have been a lot more dead people. That's what happens when the law bans people from carrying a firearm, the criminals don't care and law abiding citizens lose a means to defend themselves.

Yeah, because gun control is exactly the same a banning all guns, everywhere. So, how about we stop with this dumb "gun control = gun ban" nonsense, huh?

Well, that didn't take long. A thread that looked like it was merely (in)flammable has become nuclear. Well, to any future visitors to this thread, I come from the past to deliver a message that will save you from another pointless flame war:

Quite suitable, do you not think?

Aris Khandr:
Has anyone seen my eyes? They appeared to have rolled right out of my head.

America has issues. Lots and lots of issues. And the vast majority of them seem to come from a political climate that emphasises "fuck everyone else as long as I'm okay". Gun control, health care, education, pretty much everything that works to make all of society safer and better gets opposed by people who would be perfectly happy to let the world burn as long as they had a moat to keep the fire out.

Events like this suck. They shouldn't happen. Not with guns, not with knives, not with cars. But only one of those items has literally no other purpose but to kill people.

tangoprime:
Yup, everyone continue to ignore that many more would've been injured or killed if a citizen there hadn't been armed with a concealed handgun. Point is, cops aren't always right there ready to help, and crazy will always be crazy, whether they have access to guns, knives, or pressure cookers, they'll find a way to kill if that's what they want to do. I'd rather have the ability to defend against it legally on equal footing- while addressing problems that are creating so many crazy assholes who want to kill.

You have no fucking idea how confused I was that the OP was posting arguments supporting and going against his initial point until I realised that it was just two different people with the same avatar.

How did this thread spill over into offtopic?
And also, you know, it's really confusing when two people who have the same avatar post in the same thread with vastly different opinions...

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon.

Anyone else picturing him turning a knob on the handle from "tool" to "weapon"?

What's the point of this thread anyway? A gun saved lives? Yeah sure, but stopping the guy could have also been achieved, actually even safer, with a taser gun, a baseball bat or Krav Maga. Self-defense isn't exclusively guns.

hazabaza1:
You have no fucking idea how confused I was that the OP was posting arguments supporting and going against his initial point until I realised that it was just two different people with the same avatar.

Yeah, not super thrilled about having a clone running around, but what can you do?

s a merry mn of Skyrim, hereby suggest mandate fr every citizen t bear ron by their side at all times. Swords nd xes fr everyone! There is nt enough good steel out there!

Bws will be restricted exclusively to the guards, hwever. For bvious resons.

(In all seriousness, gun control doesn't guarantee safety, and you can still do some pretty horrible things with a knife. But, a maniac with a knife is significantly less deadly than a maniac with an assault rifle, don't you think?

At the bottom of all of this comes the unpleasant trade-off. If you value the right to freely bear arms, you will have to accept the risks that a loosely regulated access to guns brings with it. And vice versa. It all depends on what you value more, although which part of that trade is "right" is a question I can't really answer to myself yet.)

Aris Khandr:

hazabaza1:

Yeah, not super thrilled about having a clone running around, but what can you do?

Well, at least we both agree on our support for Arsenal FC against Manchester United tomorrow, eh?

Vegosiux:

tangoprime:
I'd rather have the ability to defend against it legally on equal footing

Equal footing? So, knife against knife? Alright.

Dirty Hipsters:

Yeah, because gun control is exactly the same a banning all guns, everywhere. So, how about we stop with this dumb "gun control = gun ban" nonsense, huh?

No one said anything about banning all guns, I was talking about a ban on carrying, which is one of the things that most gun control lobbyists want, to stop allowing people to legally carry their firearms outside their homes. In all states that have strict gun control regulations it's impossible to get a conceal carry permit unless you're a member of law enforcement, and a fat load of good your gun does sitting at home when you're out at a grocery store and some guy attempts to stab you with a knife.

wombat_of_war:
and your point being?

Yeah! It's not nearly as deadly as a pressure cooker. We got to get Congress to stand up the National Chef Organization and demand a national registry and background check of all Pressure cooker owners.

...Too Soon?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here