14.6% (58)
14.6% (58)
Other
6% (24)
6% (24)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is this cartoon offensive?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/perry-disgusted-by-california-newspaper-cartoon-depicting-explosion-after-deadly-west-blast/2013/04/26/a80e80e8-aecf-11e2-b59e-adb43da03a8a_story.html

AUSTIN, Texas - Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he's disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Perry said he wants an apology from the Sacramento Bee on behalf of the town.

In a letter to the Bee's editor, Perry said it "was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon."

"While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won't stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans," Perry wrote. "Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster."

The counter argument:

The Bee's editorial page editor, Stuart Leavenworth, responded Friday that the artist, Jack Ohman, "made a strong statement about Gov. Rick Perry's disregard for worker safety, and his attempts to market Texas a place where industries can thrive with few regulations."

"It is unfortunate that Gov. Perry, and some on the blogosphere, have attempted to interpret the cartoon as being disrespectful for the victims of this tragedy," Leavenworth said. "As Ohman has made clear on his blog, he has complete empathy for the victims and people living by the plant.

"What he finds offensive is a governor who would gamble with the lives of families by not pushing for the strongest safety regulations. Perry's letter is an attempt to distract people from that message."

Ohman defended his cartoon with an Internet post, noting that the fertilizer plant "had not been inspected by the state of Texas since 2006" and that many "Texas cities have little or no zoning, resulting in homes being permitted next to sparely inspected businesses that store explosive chemicals."

As for myself I am FIRMLY on the side of Mr. Ohman. I am sick and tired of Republicans dodging responsibility for their incompetence and ignorance. And that disdain for authority would go so far as to justify the safety of their own citizenry is sickening. What about the rest of you?

Edit: It appears that The poll option hates apostrophes the second option should read "But that's the point" and the third one should read "No the point of the cartoon is fair game"

And i'm even allowed to edit it. Seriously escapist, is getting the poll to actually work a Pub Club thing?

I would say rather than showing no respect for the victims, he is honouring them by trying to ridicule the state of affairs that allowed this to happen. He wants change.

And by the way, not even we have the power to fix polls.

And Democrats are pure as the driven snow, oh wait.

Anyways, more like too soon. It's been like, what, a week?

I see where the cartoonist is coming from, but he could've done it a different way. If Gov. Perry wants to be offended by the cartoon then let him since it's not up to me or anyone else what can and can't offend someone.

Free speech and all that jazz.

DVS BSTrD:
What about the rest of you?

Afaik, I'm not affected by the explosion in Texas. So, I'm not offended by the cartoon.
But, I can see how someone who lost family/friends/property in the explosion would take offense.

In short, I doubt there's anything anyone could do that wouldn't cause someone, somewhere to be offended.

Edit: It appears that The poll option hates apostrophes the second option should read "But that's the point" and the third one should read "No the point of the cartoon is fair game"

And i'm even allowed to edit it. Seriously escapist, is getting the poll to actually work a Pub Club thing?

So, learn not to use contractions in poll options.

A little too soon? Maybe, probably yes.

A harsh truth since that factory was dangerously out of date and well out of scope from current safety standards that could've prevented the explosion or saved the lives of the people that died had it exploded? Yes.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I see where the cartoonist is coming from, but he could've done it a different way. If Gov. Perry wants to be offended by the cartoon then let him since it's not up to me or anyone else what can and can't offend someone.

When it comes to de-regulating the economy? Yeah, the democrats may as well be. Rick Perry ran on the idea that de-regulating business would make the economy do well. Problem is, those regulations prevent things like exploding fertilizer factories. The cartoonist was pointing out that properly enforced regulation would have kept all those people from dying.

So in other words, it's not too soon. It's very, very timely.

It made me laugh, it's probably a bit too soon though. There also seems to be some form of point behind it blaming lack of regulation, which I suppose justifies it more than if there wasn't any.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

When it comes to de-regulating the economy? Yeah, the democrats may as well be. Rick Perry ran on the idea that de-regulating business would make the economy do well. Problem is, those regulations prevent things like exploding fertilizer factories. The cartoonist was pointing out that properly enforced regulation would have kept all those people from dying.

So in other words, it's not too soon. It's very, very timely.

I was just pointing out that it's not just a Republican verses everyone else, but I was just being a smart ass about it.

I'm not disagreeing about the cartoonist's point though, but I just think it's a little too soon. But that's just me.

Free speech I'm afraid, and it raises a valid point. The victims and their families have the right to be offended but nobody has the right to censor the artists work because somebody is offended.

As a native texan I do not find that comic offensive in any way. Texas if full of crap like this. Perry has run our environment into the ground. I fish and do outdoor activities all the time. You know something is hideously wrong when you go fishing and the water smells like kerosene and feces. And it's not the people that's the problem. It's the businesses. Texans are keen to protect our environment. Businesses could give less of a shit.

The comic points out a blatant problem with the industrial chemical plants in texas. We've been home to more explosions than we should. The texas coast used to be great for fishing and recreation. Now most of it is lined with huge vats of chemicals. You have to drive pretty down south, towards MEXICO even, to get anywhere close to "pristine".

On top of that most waterways that traverse through urban environments have fecal coliforme bacteria and are heavily polluted with fertilizers, pesticides, petroleum chemicals and heavy metals. In houston the brays bayou and buffalo bayou used to be home to a broad array of species. Including really cool stuff like 12" long macrobrachum shrimp. Now they're gone. Gone to shit.

In austin where I'm studying now lady bird lake used to be a cesspool of disease and only now has it been transformed into a recreational area. I still wouldn't eat anything out of it though.

It's an editorial cartoon designed to provoke a reaction and the complainer fell for it.

Absolutely tasteless? Definitely.

Absolutely Baseless? I don't know. Lets wait until after an investigations to see if it was a problem that could have been prevented or if it was just a fuck up as most things are.

Shock and Awe:
Absolutely tasteless? Definitely.

Absolutely Baseless? I don't know. Lets wait until after an investigations to see if it was a problem that could have been prevented or if it was just a fuck up as most things are.

Regardless of whether the explosion was "inevitable" it's pretty much been proven that no one bothered to even check if the plant was safe, at the very least if the explosion was unpreventable we may have had enough time to get the people safely out of there.

I've always hold to the opinion that businesses would forgo any safety measures and gladly put their employees at risk if it could save them a penny; and it seems sadly like this is more evidence to that theory.

There is no such thing as too soon in my opinion, make the joke or parody or whatever, whenever you want, preferably while its fresh in my mind.

The only person this seems to be offending is the governor himself which is kind of the point.

the cartoon is in bad taste and the idiot should never have drawn it, he should apologize. he could have easily drawn something with a bit more taste to get the same point across but he went for shock. Also this should be in the religion and politics section not off topic.

His decision to do this was within what needed to be done. The State needs to be brought to account that due to it's lax regulations and inspections allowed for this disaster to happen. They're not entirely to blame. The owners and operators of this plant failed to follow rules too. But still the bigger issue is that Texas needs to tighten the belt so this sort of thing doesn't happen. Can you imagine if this was an oil refinery that went up? The death and destruction that could cause. I do believe something similar happened years and years ago at one. They need to get their shit together.

I don't think using a recent tragedy as a punchline was an appropriate way to make his point. Regardless of what his statement was or how people feel about it, it's pretty fucking low. That said, freedom of speech, so nobody can force him to take it back, but I do think he should apologize. It's the right thing to do.

Important video:

My opinion:This accident was caused by bad regulations-this cartoon is perfectly fine and is doing more to honour the dead than the GOV.

I'm a Texan. I'm tired of our cockbag of a governor being allowed to even PRETEND he's in charge of anything.

That cartoon is telling it like it is. Worthless politicians SHOULD take the blame for things they fuck up, ESPECIALLY when it's that massively.
And those who are heedless of warnings to the result of catastrophe should be punished.

well it is a political cartoon and on some level they're almost all offensive since most deal with some kind of biting commentary (save the ones like mr. roger's death, the shuttle explosion, those ones where they're in memoriam and handled tastefully). I certainly understand the logic and joke behind it, and its not like this was an act of terrorism like boston's marathon bombing was (I know these two things happened so closely they got alot of comparison where I live because people didnt want to think this apparently can just happen for god knows whatever reason). and while I dont know if mr. perry actually dodged around safety in a way that would lead him to being responsible in some way to this (I dont follow politics much and certainly not ones at state level not in my state or the surrounding states that would affect PA immediately [say Ohio saying... I dont know, if you live in PA you have to register a residence address in Ohio to work in ohio or something stupid like that]) I dont think he can just say he's offended when Im sure he wouldnt defend mr. obama or mr. reid or any of the liberal if a political comic was made at their expense.

and I also dont think his argument of "this is an offense against good hard working citizens" bullshit really holds water since HE'S the main focus of this (and not some average joe). I dont find it offensive, and honestly I find it to be rather funny in its mocking of perry and bluntness to do so. I think that he made it perfectly clear that he has the empathy for the families and is not against him but rather the governer should be a tip off of who it should really offend.

The only thing wrong with the comic is timing. Give it a couple of decades and people will be making jokes about 9/11. This will take a considerable shorter amount of time until it is fair game, but it is still a ways away from that.

knight steel:
Important video:

My opinion:This accident was caused by bad regulations-this cartoon is perfectly fine and is doing more to honour the dead than the GOV.

I was waiting for someone to give us some figures as to what was going wrong.

No inspection since 1985...

What. The. Fuck.

My CAR needs to be inspected every 6 months.

This comic is not 'too soon', it wasn't soon enough.

Before I read the cartoon, the answer is yes. To someone, it will always be offensive.

After reading the Cartoon, there's no backstory. If I didn't know anything about how Texas is run (and I really don't), The only connections I would have is that a.) The Fertilizer Plant was a business and b.) it blew up. Combine that with the only real news I got was the tragedy of it all, and it would seem very, very tasteless and offensive.

The problem with a lot of political cartoons is that you have to be vastly familiar with the subject to get the humor. I live in New York. I don't even really know how CT governor is, let alone one that's at least a thousand or so miles away from me. Even now that Texans explained that Perry is somewhat of a nob who let regulations fall to the side for profit, I need to absorb that fact to wash away my first uneducated instinct of 'What the fuck did this douche think was funny about that plant blowing up'?

Although it is offensive, you must jump at this kind of incident while it is fresh if you hope to have a public discourse that isn't divorced from reality. When time passes, everyone simply retracts back into their ideological shell and they have a debate based on what hypothetically happens if they get their way.
When you have this debate today, people will have fresh in their memories what deregulation really does. Later on, especially in state such as Texas, people will have reverted back into thinking that provided you don't regulate companies, they will likely do what it is in the benefit of the people.

Abomination:

knight steel:
Important video:

I was waiting for someone to give us some figures as to what was going wrong.

No inspection since 1985...

What. The. Fuck.

My CAR needs to be inspected every 6 months.

This comic is not 'too soon', it wasn't soon enough.

Not to mention the fact that the plant did not have sprinklers,shut-off valves,fire alarms or legally required blast walls despite the fact that it contained 1,350 times the legal amount of highly explosive ammonium nitrate.

Seriously I'm surprised that with stats like that at how long it held out it should have gone off years ago with much more death's than what's happened.

I like how the poll is giving me the middle finger.

Considering how the governor is the same guy that gave us this:

Hearing him say

I won't stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans

makes me laugh. It's been done, what is he going to do about it? Set a Jihad on Ohman for his explosive joke?

knight steel:
Seriously I'm surprised that with stats like that at how long it held out it should have gone off years ago with much more death's than what's happened.

Whoever was responsible for keeping the plant intact deserves an award... then a bullet to the face for not doing something about the gross failings that resulted in the death of two score people.

Everyone needs to go back and look at the explosion again and just how much force was exuded from that plant. The noise was deafening and the shock-wave knocked houses over that were a kilometer away. I remember calling it earlier that the plant must have had some severe safety regulation failings but no inspection since 1985 and all the other stuff? I didn't expect that much.

No it isn't. What's offensive is that this scumbag is attempting to deflect criticism by feigning concern for the victims and their families. For fucking shame.

Abomination:

knight steel:

Whoever was responsible for keeping the plant intact deserves an award... then a bullet to the face for not doing something about the gross failings that resulted in the death of two score people.

Everyone needs to go back and look at the explosion again and just how much force was exuded from that plant. The noise was deafening and the shock-wave knocked houses over that were a kilometer away. I remember calling it earlier that the plant must have had some severe safety regulation failings but no inspection since 1985 and all the other stuff? I didn't expect that much.

The people of the community are defending the owner and the one responsible for the maintenance/care who is name as Mr.Adair he is a local of the area and is on the school board they say he's a good christian and would have closed the facility if he was aware of the danger's which means it might simply be a case of negligence rather than outright willful breaking of the law.

knight steel:

Abomination:

knight steel:

The people of the community are defending the owner and the one responsible for the maintenance/care who is name as Mr.Adair he is a local of the area and is on the school board they say he's a good christian and would have closed the facility if he was aware of the danger's which means it might simply be a case of negligence rather than outright willful breaking of the law.

So the owner hired someone to maintain the plant who actually wasn't versed in how one maintains a plant? Then the owner is responsible.

"We didn't know" is no excuse when you're supposed to be a professional.

I'm going to say no it's not offensive because it wasn't offensive to me because I thought it was funny.

Offensive?
Sort of.

The truth?
Ya damn straight it is.

I was born in Texas.
I've lived in Texas on and off for most of my life.

It's gotten so bad/stupid there, my LIBERAL friends and family tell me that they MISS Bush Jr.
It's gotten so bad/stupid there, my CONSERVATIVE friends and family tell me that they'd VOTE for a Democrat.

Perry can go run with the bulls, with a broken leg in a bright red jumpsuit, far as I'm concerned.

You think this explosion in West, Texas will be the last?
Don't make me laugh.

Mark my words...
Something worse is going to happen, and it's going to be something that COULD have been prevented with BASIC regulations.

I'm scared for some of my family because I fear they're gonna be the ones that pay with live or limbs due to the PANTS-ON-HEAD retarded actions of Perry and his scummy ilk.

No, but it's also not funny, since it's a pretty bad pun.

Yeah, it's offensive. No one likes to have their tragedy used to make a point, and for it to be used in humor to make the point even more so. But that doesn't mean it should not be done, and I support the people who reckon Dick Perri needs to stop deflecting.

It's offensively unfunny.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked